HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL part 4: Waiting for July 1...

Closed Thread

Old
06-28-2012, 03:34 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
I wouldn't want to sign a goalie for 10 years in todays NHL
At least Quick is only 26 so he'll only be 37 when it runs out (he has one year left on his current deal), which isn't too bad...but it certainly is a lot. It does get his prime years though, so it's better than say the Luongo deal...but so much risk as we saw with the DiPietro deal. Remember, when DiPi signed his deal he wasn't broken...he was coming off a season playing 60+ games and had only missed 8 games due to injury according to TSN: 1 for flu, 1 for "mild concussion", and the other 6 for a knee.

A 6 or 7 year deal at most would be how I go...but hey, they gotta keep the cap hit down some way, right?

Old
06-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
At least Quick is only 26 so he'll only be 37 when it runs out (he has one year left on his current deal), which isn't too bad...but it certainly is a lot. It does get his prime years though, so it's better than say the Luongo deal...but so much risk as we saw with the DiPietro deal. Remember, when DiPi signed his deal he wasn't broken...he was coming off a season playing 60+ games and had only missed 8 games due to injury according to TSN: 1 for flu, 1 for "mild concussion", and the other 6 for a knee.

A 6 or 7 year deal at most would be how I go...but hey, they gotta keep the cap hit down some way, right?
I'm not sure 10 is all that much more comforting than, say, 14. At some age he's going to start being not very good and will remain so until he retires. Maybe he retires at 35 or 37, but it's doubtful he'd go on much longer than that anyhow.

Having a declined 38 year old winger who has no desire to retire and leave money on the table is one thing but it being a goalie is pretty bad if you aren't willing to bury him in the minors, loan him to Europe, etc.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:19 PM
Aural Minority

Watching NHL Live and they talked to Peter Mueller about not getting qualified by Colorado. Any interest there?

Old
06-28-2012, 05:45 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Honestly no interest in Shultz from me. He's pulling a ***** thing and then enjoying the media circus that surrounds it. Dragging it on and on keeping the spotlight on himself. When he's just a young free agent. Big deal. Lots of prospects flop and have better numbers than he does. All this talk about some kid. He's probably THE most talked about person on the forum since the Cup ended.

It's like everyone has turned into Leaf fans about this kid.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:05 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Honestly no interest in Shultz from me. He's pulling a ***** thing and then enjoying the media circus that surrounds it. Dragging it on and on keeping the spotlight on himself. When he's just a young free agent. Big deal. Lots of prospects flop and have better numbers than he does. All this talk about some kid. He's probably THE most talked about person on the forum since the Cup ended.

Well, he's not interested in us and never has been, so no need to worry.

I don't really see what he's doing wrong.
He's fully within his rights to test the market and is doing so.
Is it crappy for Anaheim?
Yep, but that's the risk you take when you care more about your bottom line than winning like the Ducks do.

As for him enjoying the media circus, I doubt it.
It's part of the process.
He's represented by a serious agency and they are going to find the best fit.
They narrowed their teams down quickly and will hear proposals from them.
Whichever team offers a combination of the best fit (comfort and likelihood to achieve bonuses) and B bonuses paid by team likely wins.

Old
06-28-2012, 06:41 PM
Sabretip

For those clamoring for Doan:

Quote:
Darren Dreger: There's a big meeting that's going to take place before July 1 with Doan meeting face-to-face with potential Coyotes' buyer Greg Jamison. If Jamison can convince Doan that he is going to be successful in his attempt to buy the Coyotes and keep them in Glendale, then Doan will not test free agency. He's got to listen to what the market is going to offer him but he's a reluctant free agent going in. His heart's in Phoenix but if there's no deal and no sense that a deal is imminent, then he's going to listen.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399474

Old
06-28-2012, 06:44 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Well, he's not interested in us and never has been, so no need to worry.

I don't really see what he's doing wrong.
He's fully within his rights to test the market and is doing so.
Is it crappy for Anaheim?
Yep, but that's the risk you take when you care more about your bottom line than winning like the Ducks do.

As for him enjoying the media circus, I doubt it.
It's part of the process.
He's represented by a serious agency and they are going to find the best fit.
They narrowed their teams down quickly and will hear proposals from them.
Whichever team offers a combination of the best fit (comfort and likelihood to achieve bonuses) and B bonuses paid by team likely wins.
You call all this quickly?

Old
06-28-2012, 06:48 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
For those clamoring for Doan:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399474
Yeah, I'm sure old man Jamison will be able to convince him that he'll buy the team.
I mean, still not having all of his investors together after almost a year gives me all the confidence in the world.
The whole referendum thing really makes me confident too.

Quote:
Yep, he became a free agent last Friday and they started listening to proposals on yesterday, I believe.

Old
06-28-2012, 07:26 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bob View Post
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...new-head-coach

Adam Oates is the new head coach of the Caps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myllz View Post
I've always liked Oates. Great player, and I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a great head coach.
Likewise. And, (I'll say it) the dude is still stylish as hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
He's also heading to the hall.

Sakic (duh), Oates (finally), Bure (meh), and Sundin (1st time eligible...really?) all make it. Gilmour, Tremblay, Shanahan among those passed over.
I don't have an issue with any of those guys, or the excluded ones, making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iciclesonapapershelf View Post
Sundin over Shanny is a mockery, imho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
His punishments made a mockery of the NHL.

Tit for tat.
But will the HHoF release a confusing video explaining why he was not voted in?

Old
06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
But will the HHoF release a confusing video explaining why he was not voted in?
Now that I can't wait to see.

Old
06-28-2012, 08:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Montreal re-signs Nokelainen

NJ re-signs Bernier and Carter on that 4th line. Scratch Carter off the wish list.

Vancouver agrees to deal with Schneider.

Old
06-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Oates gonna bring back OV sorry haters

Old
06-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
Oates gonna bring back OV sorry haters
Good, I want the OV of old. I want the Crosby vs. Ovechkin debates again. They are the two most exciting players in the league.

Im interested in this Vancouver goalie saga. Schnieder's multi-year extension ensures Luongo's ticket out of town. I really think the Panthers are a good fit for him. A low expectation market and good coach such as Dineen could help Lou gain his edge back and put that team over the top. I wonder what would go back to Van city however. A Louongo for Weiss swap could be interesting.

Old
06-28-2012, 11:25 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy View Post
A Louongo for Weiss swap could be interesting.
Because the Panthers are just gonna trade essentially their captain for that contract...

(lolno)

Old
06-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Fly Boy
Aye Sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
Because the Panthers are just gonna trade essentially their captain for that contract...

(lolno)
It was just a thought. I'm not sure what could get that deal done at this point. The Panthers need to send back salary obviously, so it was just a guess on my part.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:38 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Minority View Post
Watching NHL Live and they talked to Peter Mueller about not getting qualified by Colorado. Any interest there?
His size (6'-3", 200 - just like Grigorenko), age (24) and skating/shooting skills sure make it tempting....but, if the Sabres were to add him, the center corps would be full of serious question marks:

Mueller - Is he fully recovered as he says he is?
Hodgson - Is he ready to be a top 6 center offensively?
Ennis - Will he continue to produce at center as he did in the final 14 games? Will being the # 1 / # 2 center draw stronger defensive coverage that will reduce his impact?
Grigorenko - Is he ready for NHL duty?

Add in the questions surrounding Roy, if he stays, and it seems too risky of a situation.

Old
06-29-2012, 12:50 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
also wtf is jay feaster trying to do to the people of calgary...does he have some personal vendetta against the place? first wideman, now comeau. although that's actually low risk, high reward, but he just tied up about $6.5 mil in those 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
Feaster is so awesome. He should give MAG 3mil.
This news could help Regier:

Quote:
CALGARY SUN’s Eric Francis reported the following on Twitter: “Source tells me it’s official: Olli Jokinen’s days with the Flames are over and he will head to free agency July 1.”
http://spectorshockey.net/blog/nhl-e...-june-28-2012/

So Feaster's centers for 2012-13 are Backlund, Cervenka, Jones and Stajan...yet he's keeping Iginla and Kiprusoff?

Seems the departure of Jokinen, and the lack of any top 6 centers in the free agent pool, could actually work in Darcy's favor if he were to call his buddy Feaster and offer him Roy. In fact, I'd put the Flames as even more of a logical landing spot now than Chicago.

Roy for Backlund suddenly seems very doable IMO.

Granted, I've been lobbying for proven NHL centers to replace Roy and Backlund isn't much more proven than Hodgson or Ennis but I'd be willing to take a chance on him if it sheds Roy's salary to be used elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
How does the hype for Schultz compare to Gilroy's?
Reminds me a bit of the frenzy over Fabian Brunnstrom a few seasons back, where he was wildly sought after as a free agent from Europe with no NHL experience but touted as this wunderkind.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:

I don't really agree with any of this. Not that I'm saying he's a great kid because I have no idea, but this itself doesn't make him a bad kid. The CBA said he could be a UFA so he took it. I'd do the exact same thing (and then sign with the Sabres ). Also, I really don't think it's THAT common for someone with numbers like his to flop. I do think he may struggle a lot in his first season, but I don't see him flopping in his career.

Quote:
1 day. That's reasonably quick.

Old
06-29-2012, 01:12 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I don't like the guy. And I'm not someone who inherently dislikes "showboats" or big personalities (taboos in the hockey world), quite the contrary in fact. He just seems like a total goober to me.
I didn't really like his draft intro thing. he was all, "I want to be number 1, cause it's number one. No one remembers the 2nd guy." And grigs/reilly/galchenyuk basically all said, "I just want to get drafted into the NHL and help my new team." Considering it wasn't a spontaneous thing, I was surprised he gave kind of a cocky answer. Maybe he's just not as comfortable talking in english and it came out wrong? Something about him, I just didn't like. and no, it's not just because he's russian

Old
06-29-2012, 02:26 AM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
I didn't really like his draft intro thing. he was all, "I want to be number 1, cause it's number one. No one remembers the 2nd guy." And grigs/reilly/galchenyuk basically all said, "I just want to get drafted into the NHL and help my new team." Considering it wasn't a spontaneous thing, I was surprised he gave kind of a cocky answer. Maybe he's just not as comfortable talking in english and it came out wrong? Something about him, I just didn't like. and no, it's not just because he's russian
Definitely not because he's Russian for me. Though it's not quite the same these days, I absolutely love Russian players historically. But yea, something about him I just do not like. I suppose that would have went away pretty quick if the Sabres picked #1 overall though

Old
06-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Sarich gets 2 years at $2M per from the Flames. This has to mean Hannan won't return, right? Right? Oh, wait, Feaster is still there...

06-29-2012, 11:20 AM
WhoIsJimBob
#TankEnvy

Quote:
Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
COL agrees to terms with Steve Downie on 2 year deal, $2.55M in first year and $2.75M in second. $2.65M AAV.
That's a nice deal for the Avs.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:04 PM
jfb392

Calgary first round pick Mark Jankowski getting the Grigorenko treatment:
Quote:
Roughly an hour after the Calgary Flames defied conventional wisdom by drafting high-school star Mark Jankowski 21st overall, one high-profile agent made a ruthless prediction.

The kid will never play in the NHL, he wrote in an unsolicited email.

I saw him play several times. Hes scared of his shadow.
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19931326.html

What a surprise though, the person trashing him isn't willing to attach their name to their criticism.

At least Craig Button has it right:
Quote:
CraigJButton High-profile agent anonymously saying "Jankowski is scared of his own shadow." Look in mirror, you are gutless!
http://twitter.com/CraigJButton/stat...55809520259072

Old
06-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Flames re-sign Stempniak to 2yr/$5m ($2.5m cap) deal. Thought he could be on Buffalo's radar to be the RW3.

Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them go after Mikael Samuelsson at this point.

Old
06-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Calgary first round pick Mark Jankowski getting the Grigorenko treatment:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../19931326.html

What a surprise though, the person trashing him isn't willing to attach their name to their criticism.

At least Craig Button has it right:

http://twitter.com/CraigJButton/stat...55809520259072
Good on Button. I hope Jankowski is a major hit for the Flames.

For one, I like the prospect and he's a Sabres fan. If he hits, he can sign here cheap on his 3rd contract Or Feaster can trade him to us for a third and or #12 defenseman.

Secondly, I've always been a tad partial to the Flames and it wouldn't hurt if they grew stronger so that they, the Canucks, and the Oilers all beat each other up.

Closed Thread