HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

End of Season WHL Rankings

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2012, 12:09 AM
  #1
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
End of Season WHL Rankings

My Hitmen have bowed out of the playoffs. Time to give ya'll a look at my prospect rankings from the league for 2012 and 2013. Enjoy!

2012:

Rank Name Pos Team
1 Ryan Murray D Everett
2 Mathew Dumba D Red Deer
3 Griffin Reinhart D Edmonton
4 Morgan Rielly D Moose Jaw
5 Derrick Pouliot D Portland
6 Dalton Thrower D Saskatoon
7 Damon Severson D Kelowna
8 Colton Sissons C Kelowna
9 Henrik Samuelsson C Edmonton
10 Tim Bozon C Kamloops
11 Mike Winther C Prince Albert
12 Brett Kulak D Vancouver
13 Lukas Sutter C Saskatoon
14 Chandler Stephenson LW Regina
15 Cody Corbett D Edmonton
16 Coda Gordon LW Swift Current
17 Branden Troock C Seattle
18 Steven Hodges C Victoria
19 Dominik Volek RW Regina
20 Tyrel Seamen C Brandon
21 Travis Brown D Moose Jaw
22 Ashton Sautner D Edmonton
23 Nic Walters D Everett
24 Brendan Leipsic C Portland
25 Carter Rigby LW Kelowna
26 Logan McVeigh C Prince Albert
27 Alessio Bertaggia LW Brandon
28 Mitch Moroz C Edmonton
29 Troy Bourke C Prince George
30 Jaynen Rissling D Calgary

1 Andrei Makarov G Saskatoon
2 Chris Dreidger G Calgary
3 Patrik Bartosak G Red Deer
4 Cole Cheveldave G Kamloops
5 Mackenzie Skapski G Kootenay

2013:

Rank Name Pos. Team
1 Hunter Shinkaruk LW Medicine Hat
2 Ryan Pulock D Brandon
3 Curtis Lazar C Edmonton
4 Josh Morrissey D Prince Albert
5 Eric Roy D Brandon
6 Madison Bowey D Kelowna
7 Matt Needham C Kamloops
8 Greg Chase C Calgary
9 Morgan Klimchuk C Regina
10 Shea Theodore D Seattle
11 Connor Rankin C Tri-City
12 Jayden Hart C Medicine Hat
13 Ayrton Nikkel D Brandon
14 Nic Petan C Portland
15 Dillon Heatherington D Swift Current
16 Carter Hansen RW Moose Jaw
17 Alex Forsberg C Prince George
18 Jordan Tkatch C Prince George
19 Jesse Lees D Kelowna
20 Jay Merkley C Lethbridge
21 Mason Geertsen D Edmonton
22 Jamal Watson W Lethbridge
23 Brian Williams C Tri-City
24 Spencer Wand D Kootenay
25 Cole Ully C Kamloops

1 Eric Comrie G Tri-City
2 Austin Lotz G Everett
3 Jakson Whistle G Vancouver
4 Tristan Jarry G Edmonton
5 Brendan Burke G Portland
HM Mack Shields G Calgary

Sorry for the funky and hard to read formatting.

- ZH


Last edited by zjh: 04-03-2012 at 12:26 AM.
zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:33 AM
  #2
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,220
vCash: 1876
For 2012:

- Corbett is higher than I would have him by a few spots, not a ton.
- I would have Sissons higher than Severson, likely even higher than Thrower and maybe higher than Pouliot.
- Gordon would be just behind Winther for me, just outside the top 10.
- Rigby and McVeigh would both be about 5-7 spots higher.
- Bourke would be much higher, likely right around 20.
- Seaman and Moroz are similar players, but I would flip them.
- Rissling would be in my top 15-17.
- Skapski ahead of Cheveldave. The kid's too small, while I fully expect Skapski to be a solid starter next year for the Ice.


For 2013:

- Heatherington is very underrated and needs to be appearing on some 1st round lists.
- Alex Forsberg needs to be way higher.
- Lethbridge kids could surprise. Huge Jamal Watson fan.


Great stuff though, enjoyed it! Everyone sees things differently, so don't get too offended haha.

__________________
Scout based in Western Canada - find me on Twitter:

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:54 AM
  #3
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast
 
Jamie Benn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: At The Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Bourke is way to low for my liking, should be ahead of Hodges, both are very similar players but Bourke has better finish.

Thrower over Severson bugs me, but I haven't seen Thrower play, so I shouldn't judge.

I saw Cheveldave in the playoffs, and he wasn't great at all. I think Skapski has much better potential.

I'm loving all of the Matt Needham love, Forsberg way to low. Switch Theodore and Chase. I agree with Watson being up higher, his skating style bugs the crap out of me though. Happy you left out Kanzig from the 2013 list, first list i've seen do that. Love the Burke ranking, way to overrated imo.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:56 AM
  #4
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,220
vCash: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourettesGuy View Post
Bourke is way to low for my liking, should be ahead of Hodges, both are very similar players but Bourke has better finish.

Thrower over Severson bugs me, but I haven't seen Thrower play, so I shouldn't judge.


I saw Cheveldave in the playoffs, and he wasn't great at all. I think Skapski has much better potential.

I'm loving all of the Matt Needham love, Forsberg way to low. Switch Theodore and Chase. I agree with Watson being up higher, his skating style bugs the crap out of me though. Happy you left out Kanzig from the 2013 list, first list i've seen do that. Love the Burke ranking, way to overrated imo.
Haha

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:17 AM
  #5
Alberta tough
Registered User
 
Alberta tough's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Still on top!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,245
vCash: 500
I am glad someone else does not see it in Forsberg. I like Rankin alot more then number 11.

Alberta tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:32 AM
  #6
DangerMan
@danlizee
 
DangerMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,884
vCash: 500
I'll go the other route and say Corbett is too low. I think he should be hanging out with Thrower and Severson, in that area. Different type of Dman but equally as important.

Bourke is low. Should be top 20. Moroz should be too.

Otherwise solid list.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:45 AM
  #7
Daneurism
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 499
vCash: 500
Rankin's point production really slowed post injury.

Is Adam Henry interesting?

Daneurism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:48 AM
  #8
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.
 
Gentle Jake Virtanen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,754
vCash: 50
Refreshing to see Reinhart over Reilly.

Gentle Jake Virtanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:47 AM
  #9
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
I saw Trou Bourke 2 times this year. First at Ivan Hlinka camp where he was okay, then another game in January where he was awful.

Forsberg looked way way way worse than I expected. Soft, slow, questionable work ethic. But I'm sure that 2013 list will be changing a lot next year.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
  #10
johnnystormcgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 271
vCash: 500
@zjh and renegade
Whats your scouting reports on Bozon? I like what I see and was wondering if you guys think he can climb into the 15-20 rank or maybe higher, he looks like a gamer.

johnnystormcgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:10 AM
  #11
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,220
vCash: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnystormcgy View Post
@zjh and renegade
Whats your scouting reports on Bozon? I like what I see and was wondering if you guys think he can climb into the 15-20 rank or maybe higher, he looks like a gamer.
He has his own thread floating around. Go back a few pages and find it.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:51 PM
  #12
countrcultur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Sissons up
Dumba and Murray switched
Rigby up
Moroz up
Brown down
Rissling up

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:59 PM
  #13
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL
 
S E P H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Avs Country!
Country: Poland
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
Rankin's point production really slowed post injury.

Is Adam Henry interesting?
Rankin: He's relying on his teammates too much, not creating a lot of scoring chances for himself, but am still a big fan of him. Could improve his passing in the offseason or look around more.

I think Severson is a bit too high and Winthers is too low. Also not a fan of Kulak.

Williams and De Leo haven't had a lot of opportunity and ice time this year to show their talent. Two players to definitely watch for in 2013. Also look out for Wand.


Last edited by S E P H: 04-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:00 PM
  #14
pdxshark
@jmbradd
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
For 2012:

- Corbett is higher than I would have him by a few spots, not a ton.
- I would have Sissons higher than Severson, likely even higher than Thrower and maybe higher than Pouliot.
- Gordon would be just behind Winther for me, just outside the top 10.
- Rigby and McVeigh would both be about 5-7 spots higher.
- Bourke would be much higher, likely right around 20.
- Seaman and Moroz are similar players, but I would flip them.
- Rissling would be in my top 15-17.
- Skapski ahead of Cheveldave. The kid's too small, while I fully expect Skapski to be a solid starter next year for the Ice.


For 2013:

- Heatherington is very underrated and needs to be appearing on some 1st round lists.
- Alex Forsberg needs to be way higher.
- Lethbridge kids could surprise. Huge Jamal Watson fan.


Great stuff though, enjoyed it! Everyone sees things differently, so don't get too offended haha.
100% agree. Very underrated player based on what I saw this season.

I'd also have Scissons over Serverson and Thrower, but not Pouliot.

pdxshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:43 PM
  #15
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Love Heatherington as well. Big, pretty good skater for his age. Pretty good decision maker. Sound defensively. Like to see him get more involved offensively.

I like Moroz and Rigby, just don't think either will ever be good scorers, think Drew Czerwonka.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:05 PM
  #16
countrcultur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Love Heatherington as well. Big, pretty good skater for his age. Pretty good decision maker. Sound defensively. Like to see him get more involved offensively.

I like Moroz and Rigby, just don't think either will ever be good scorers, think Drew Czerwonka.
I think both, mainly rigby, can finish and when put on a line like eberle RNH they would put up numbers while benefitting those guys and adding another dimension at both ends.

That is obviously an extreme example and I'm not saying they are first line guys but whatever team and whatever line these cans should be paired with skill guys. Keep your talent safe and get the most out of these two.

countrcultur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:22 PM
  #17
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Still don't think either are in Cody Beach territory.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:22 PM
  #18
chrisralph007
HFB Partner
 
chrisralph007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Damn fine list, Z!

Winther bit of a question mark for me. What are your thoughts on him in terms of game translating to NHL?

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:07 AM
  #19
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Not sure about Winther either. Played amazing one time I saw him, invisible the other.

Not a very physical player, probably projects to be a 2-3 liner. Not amazingly talented, but high goal totals on a weak team is nice to see. Have him in late 2nd-very early 3rd

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:17 AM
  #20
R S
Renegade Stylings
 
R S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 24,220
vCash: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by zjh View Post
Love Heatherington as well. Big, pretty good skater for his age. Pretty good decision maker. Sound defensively. Like to see him get more involved offensively.

I like Moroz and Rigby, just don't think either will ever be good scorers, think Drew Czerwonka.
It was an area he really got better at as the season wore on. Broncos coaching staff also raised some concerns to me at the midway point of the year, but I saw him 6 more times down the stretch and he seemed to be more aggressive in that area every time out. Numbers aren't great, but he could definitely post 25-35 points next year.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:40 PM
  #21
zjh
@ZenonHerasymiuk
 
zjh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: AB88
Country: Canada
Posts: 794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
It was an area he really got better at as the season wore on. Broncos coaching staff also raised some concerns to me at the midway point of the year, but I saw him 6 more times down the stretch and he seemed to be more aggressive in that area every time out. Numbers aren't great, but he could definitely post 25-35 points next year.
Yeah, I really like him. Played Midget in my community so I've been watching him for 2 years now. Not flashy at all, probably be a decent puck mover, don't see him quarterbacking a pp.

zjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:33 PM
  #22
Killemdeader
Registered User
 
Killemdeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everett, WA
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
I'm a little biased, but shouldn't Kohl Bauml be in the 2013 rankings? He put up some of the best numbers of the eligible on arguably the worst offensive team in the WHL.

Killemdeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:54 PM
  #23
Checker61
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
Baumls skating is very average at best . Choppy stride . He is tiny and a perimeter player . He probably looked a little better than he was . He always had veteran wingers and D men such as Murray padding his stats . Will be interesting to see what he can do on his own next year and if he can carry a line . His ice time was ridiculous and I am not sure warranted and in playoffs was completely dominated .

Checker61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:36 PM
  #24
Killemdeader
Registered User
 
Killemdeader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Everett, WA
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checker61 View Post
Baumls skating is very average at best . Choppy stride . He is tiny and a perimeter player . He probably looked a little better than he was . He always had veteran wingers and D men such as Murray padding his stats . Will be interesting to see what he can do on his own next year and if he can carry a line . His ice time was ridiculous and I am not sure warranted and in playoffs was completely dominated .
I will give you that his skating isn't up to par, and he was paired with older forwards, but they were putting up worse numbers before he started centering them. And the entire offense of Everett, minus Murray, was shut down by Tri-Cities, there were only 2 goals by forwards in the entire SERIES for the tips, so that's a bit unfair. He also played significant PK minutes, was 2 points from 3rd on the team in scoring, and had a better +/- than anyone but Murray and Harrison who played the full season.

Killemdeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
  #25
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars
 
t0psh3lfclu7ch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 684
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
pouliot was great in the all-star game

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.