HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Enforcer

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-28-2004, 10:06 AM
  #26
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER#11
Ya getting rid of Simon was a mistake he could fight but also played well.
How was it a mistake? There is simply no way that he would resign here. Why would he? This is what rebuilding teams do. THey get rid of players that are not coming back and get back some assets for them. No one knows how Greg Moore & Blair Betts will fair. But those are 2 yutes who COULD be usefull to the Rangers over the next several years. Simon, on the other hand, while earning my respect last year, could have served no better purpose than what he has. He brought back some possibilities to plug holes with, while we are rebuilding. Off course, if there is no NHL. the rebuild is all for naught.

True Blue is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 10:40 AM
  #27
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,678
vCash: 500
I'd like to get Oliwa back if we could. He would NEVER be afraid to drop the gloves against anyone and would always drop them at the right time.

Plus Oliwa would be very cheap. But im not sure what his contract looks like right now.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 10:48 AM
  #28
Burberry Manning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Summit NJ-The Elite
Country: United States
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I'd like to get Oliwa back if we could. He would NEVER be afraid to drop the gloves against anyone and would always drop them at the right time.

Plus Oliwa would be very cheap. But im not sure what his contract looks like right now.
Oliwa was a machine for the Flames last year, and I remember him being a terror for the Devils back in the day too. But if my memory serves me correct, he was DREADFULL for us when he had that limited chance. I wonder why.

Burberry Manning is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 10:54 AM
  #29
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,807
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I'd like to get Oliwa back if we could.
How quickly we forget just how awfull the Polish Leadfoot was for us in his limited time.

True Blue is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 11:03 AM
  #30
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
How quickly we forget just how awfull the Polish Leadfoot was for us in his limited time.
He never had a real role with the rangers..he had a role with the flames and took it and was great. He would have the role as enforcer on our rebuilding team and i think he would be a good 4th line player to stir things up in those longs night the rangers will be having throughout the season. Plus players change. Also hes one of those players that gives 110 percent and NY loves those types considering the amount of them we have been LACKING in the past years.


BTW Sandy McCarthy is a FA right? Because i dont want him a part of our team after his "transformation" last year.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 02:06 PM
  #31
Kovy274Hart
Registered User
 
Kovy274Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Shaolin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
I'd like to get Oliwa back if we could. He would NEVER be afraid to drop the gloves against anyone and would always drop them at the right time.

Plus Oliwa would be very cheap. But im not sure what his contract looks like right now.

He was signed by the Devils.

Kovy274Hart is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 02:34 PM
  #32
Burberry Manning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Summit NJ-The Elite
Country: United States
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
BTW Sandy McCarthy is a FA right? Because i dont want him a part of our team after his "transformation" last year.
Last year?! Try the past 3 years. Ever since he came from Philly he has been a tool. Remember when he called out Cairns and then got the stuffing beat out of him? Remember when Brashear pounded his helmet over his head? Remember when he ran away from Donald every game since and Barnaby had to take matters into his own hands? Remember how he tried to scowl and yap at everyone but then backed down from their challenges? Remember when he pointed to his flexed bicep but then just didnt fight after all? Sandy McCarthy is by far my most hated player ever. I would seriously rather suit up Mike Danton and Billy Tibbets over this heartless sissy. Hahaha and I remember back when he was a Flame and a Flyer and he completely manhandled heavyweights at will. He was dominant. These days I would pay to see Laracque or Brashear just go to town on him.

Burberry Manning is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 02:36 PM
  #33
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart
He was signed by the Devils.

Oh thats right. Alright scratch him.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 02:47 PM
  #34
AG9NK35DT8*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bronx/Queens, NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz
Gillies. And he doesnt put any points up there really who knows.
But your missing the point, thats not what he is getting called up for.He is not gonna produce points its obvious , he is here for one thing and one thing only TO FIGHT AND PROTECT.And since when do you know any enforcers to put up points really and dont say simon he is an exception.

AG9NK35DT8* is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 02:53 PM
  #35
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleeding blue
Last year?! Try the past 3 years. Ever since he came from Philly he has been a tool. Remember when he called out Cairns and then got the stuffing beat out of him? Remember when Brashear pounded his helmet over his head? Remember when he ran away from Donald every game since and Barnaby had to take matters into his own hands? Remember how he tried to scowl and yap at everyone but then backed down from their challenges? Remember when he pointed to his flexed bicep but then just didnt fight after all? Sandy McCarthy is by far my most hated player ever. I would seriously rather suit up Mike Danton and Billy Tibbets over this heartless sissy. Hahaha and I remember back when he was a Flame and a Flyer and he completely manhandled heavyweights at will. He was dominant. These days I would pay to see Laracque or Brashear just go to town on him.
Id rather bring back Dan LaCouture than Sandy Wussy McCarthy. I remember after the LaCouture Regher fight when LaCouture got the concussion, then missed a few games, not only did he came back, right away he fought Eric Godard from the Islanders, would Ms. Sandy do that, not a chance. LaCouture does not have alot of skill but at least tries, and he at least sticks up for his teammates and himself.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 02:58 PM
  #36
AG9NK35DT8*
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Bronx/Queens, NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Id rather bring back Dan LaCouture than Sandy Wussy McCarthy. I remember after the LaCouture Regher fight when LaCouture got the concussion, then missed a few games, not only did he came back, right away he fought Eric Godard from the Islanders, would Ms. Sandy do that, not a chance. LaCouture does not have alot of skill but at least tries, and he at least sticks up for his teammates and himself.
I absolutley agree with everything you said lacouture was way more of a tough guy then Mccarthy was when here both times.Lacouture played hard when here just wasnt to great i fit for some reason or another.

But please no McCarthy the guy is just horrid and thinks he is a scoring fwd or something cause he refuses to fight.

AG9NK35DT8* is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 03:12 PM
  #37
Burberry Manning
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Summit NJ-The Elite
Country: United States
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
Id rather bring back Dan LaCouture than Sandy Wussy McCarthy. I remember after the LaCouture Regher fight when LaCouture got the concussion, then missed a few games, not only did he came back, right away he fought Eric Godard from the Islanders, would Ms. Sandy do that, not a chance. LaCouture does not have alot of skill but at least tries, and he at least sticks up for his teammates and himself.
I liked Dan and I thought he knew his role and tried his best but I don't think he is our answer for an enforcer. He got smoked by Godard and he really has no chance against the top tough guys. Like, I would seriously be willing to give up a 3rd rounder for a young premier tough guy. Yea, they might not have the same offensive or defensive potential as someone who could snag with that pick but atleast we would know what they bring to the table and they would be in the NHL and also be providing entertainment for us, the fans. That is what professional hockey is all about. Entertainment. And enforcers provide this, all the while serving their teammates.

Burberry Manning is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 03:30 PM
  #38
RANGER#11
Registered User
 
RANGER#11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Norfolk, New York
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
How was it a mistake? There is simply no way that he would resign here. Why would he? This is what rebuilding teams do. THey get rid of players that are not coming back and get back some assets for them. No one knows how Greg Moore & Blair Betts will fair. But those are 2 yutes who COULD be usefull to the Rangers over the next several years. Simon, on the other hand, while earning my respect last year, could have served no better purpose than what he has. He brought back some possibilities to plug holes with, while we are rebuilding. Off course, if there is no NHL. the rebuild is all for naught.
I did not make myself clear. I just ment that I wish we could of kept him.

RANGER#11 is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 06:17 PM
  #39
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
I think even the most devoted McCarthy fans were soured after his play from his last stint. He showed no effort, no heart and why I wish he'd just retire at this point. It's getting painful to watch him.

Edge is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 10:19 PM
  #40
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think even the most devoted McCarthy fans were soured after his play from his last stint. He showed no effort, no heart and why I wish he'd just retire at this point. It's getting painful to watch him.

I say lets bring back PJ Stock. He is small but has heart and can fight as well.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline  
Old
11-29-2004, 03:13 AM
  #41
Edge
Kris King's Ghost
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Amish Paradise
Country: United States
Posts: 13,891
vCash: 500
Stock is about done at this point. When you start messing with enforcers around the age of 30, it usually doesn't work.

Enforcers have very short shelf lives.

Edge is offline  
Old
11-29-2004, 11:37 AM
  #42
ATLANTARANGER*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta, B&R in NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 3,649
vCash: 500
Getting Liffiton for Barnaby was a great trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYFAN
You can't call Barnaby an enforcer. A pest is more like it. I love the guy, but he would get his head handed to him regularly in that role with a young team.
This kid has _alls! He is tough and cleans the crease. He & Taylor will make an impact on our defense in the very near future. Plus it is team toughness that you really want, one for all and all for one!

ATLANTARANGER* is offline  
Old
11-29-2004, 12:26 PM
  #43
Chief
Registered User
 
Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: NY, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,846
vCash: 500
I think Liffiton and Grenier are two guys with NHL upside which could be real nice enforcer types but it's becoming more and more rare for teams to have a D-man be their enforcer. It just takes too much of a toll on the rest of the D group when one D-man is in the box for extended periods of time. Renney told a friend of mine at one of those fan forums that Grenier could be the kind of guy the Rangers haven't had since Beukeboom.

Chief is offline  
Old
11-29-2004, 07:50 PM
  #44
NYFAN
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief
I think Liffiton and Grenier are two guys with NHL upside which could be real nice enforcer types but it's becoming more and more rare for teams to have a D-man be their enforcer. It just takes too much of a toll on the rest of the D group when one D-man is in the box for extended periods of time. Renney told a friend of mine at one of those fan forums that Grenier could be the kind of guy the Rangers haven't had since Beukeboom.
If that is true that would be huge for this organization! A guy like Beukeboom steadies the entire blueline with his presence, and stifles alot of opposing offenses with his in your face approach.

NYFAN is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 08:56 AM
  #45
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Rangers don't need an 'enforcer'...

they need players that can take care of themselves and play it tough. The Rangers had a decent enforcer who was willing to fight last season (Simon, along with others on the team), and the results were no different than when Sandy wasn't fighting in prior years. Lindros ends up fighting Doig, basically ending his career. Dunham was run into nearly every night. Leetch and others were still checked into the boards hard, and opposing players still took their liberties. Gillies would be a guy that just fought. He'd come out for his heavyweight battle, and sit the remaining 59 minutes of the game. Darcy Tucker would really refrain from checking everything in sight. Tyson Nash would stop running goalies. I'm not into the pure enforcer idea. In today's NHL, it's better to have guys that can fight and take care of themselves.

Fletch is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 09:36 AM
  #46
BiLLY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 174
vCash: 500
What's needed is an appropriate response: You run our goalie, we run yours TWICE. You run our finesse guys we give it back plus intrest.

BiLLY is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 11:28 AM
  #47
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 21,703
vCash: 500
doig's hit on lindros is what hurt him, not the fight...

Levitate is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 12:01 PM
  #48
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
That I know...

but having enforcers didn't stop anybody from taking liberties on some of the Rangers' star players. And if I remember correctly, neither Barnaby nor Simon retaliated, so what's the point of the enforcer again?

And Billy, again, let's say the Rangers' goalie gets run, and the Rangers run him twice...what's the role of the enforcer again? That's really my only point. I like fighting as much as anybody, but I do prefer a guy like Barnaby going out and fighting some guy, defending his teammate, as opposed to a couple goons who play 2 minutes per game and are non-factors going out and dancing.

Fletch is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 12:08 PM
  #49
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,678
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Lindros ends up fighting Doig, basically ending his career.
No...lindros was hurt from the hit Doig through on him next to the benches.....Lindros knew he had sustained another concussion and wanted to beat the living stuffing out of doig before he headed to the locker room.

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
11-30-2004, 12:17 PM
  #50
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Again...

sorry for the broken english. The point was, as further mentioned, that Lindros was the one fighting [wasn't meant to imply the fight did him in]. He was the one that was hit into next season. What's the role of the enforcer?

Fletch is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.