HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part X

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 01:33 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Prospect Thread - Part X

And we're off!

Old
04-03-2012, 01:58 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
1st!

Does anyone know how Grenier is doing?

Old
04-03-2012, 02:20 AM
DennisReynolds
the implication

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
1st!

Does anyone know how Grenier is doing?
And Sauve please. I always thought he'd be the most NHL ready defenceman for us.

Old
04-03-2012, 03:56 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
And Sauve please. I always thought he'd be the most NHL ready defenceman for us.
He is the most NHL ready but at best he should be doing fill-in/injury replacement duty next season. For the most part his game is solid but he has off nights and it seems speedy wingers sometime gives him coverage issues (note he's actually a very good skater so this can be fixed, just need better gap control). Of course i only watch the odd game (and never a full game unless its vs the Heats) and mostly highlight/summary videos so there could be things i missed.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM
Wetcoaster

News 1130 Sports is reporting that Jensen will be joining the Chicago Wolves as soon as his US visa is processed. He will be attending the Canucks game tonight.
https://twitter.com/#!/news1130sports

Old
04-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Southern_Canuck

Does anyone know what is up with Steven Anthony?

He doesn't appear on the Kalamazoo Wings roster anymore, or the Chicago Wolves roster...

???

S_C

Old
04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
Canucksrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
News 1130 Sports is reporting that Jensen will be joining the Chicago Wolves as soon as his US visa is processed. He will be attending the Canucks game tonight.
https://twitter.com/#!/news1130sports
great news, should be a good experience for him. Wonder if he will get any games in?

Old
04-03-2012, 02:57 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
Does anyone know what is up with Steven Anthony?

He doesn't appear on the Kalamazoo Wings roster anymore, or the Chicago Wolves roster...

???

S_C
Hard to find any info, but I believe he's out with some sort of injury, possibly a concussion, and is on IR. It occurred on March 9th —another player deliberately smashed his head into the ice repeatedly and as a result got suspended for 7 games.

I found this video:

What a joke of a league when ramming another player's head into the ice repeatedly gets a repeat offender (!!!) only 7 games.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:03 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Hard to find any info, but I believe he's out with some sort of injury, possibly a concussion, and is on IR. It occurred on March 9th —another player deliberately smashed his head into the ice repeatedly and as a result got suspended for 7 games.

What a joke of a league when ramming another player's head into the ice repeatedly gets a repeat offender (!!!) only 7 games.
Bruins ECHL affiliate maybe? In all seriousness though that's horrible.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:03 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
from the video it looks like anthony is the player on top and doing the banging, or did something happen after the players and linesmen started to congregate around?

also, kalamazoo players not doing anything about the situation is total garbage. if my teammate is getting his head banged on the ice someone is going off in a bodybag. you don't let that happen and meekly pair up with random players.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbitterguy View Post
from the video it looks like anthony is the player on top and doing the banging, or did something happen after the players and linesmen started to congregate around?
White jerseys are the Chicago Express jerseys...

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old
04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
arsmaster

7 games is a joke.

That is one of those incidents if it happened in the NHL, you know the police would be involved in....

Not much different than Bertuzzi or McSorely...

That disgusts me, people have died from hitting their head on the ice...

Old
04-03-2012, 05:33 PM
mrbitterguy

Quote:
White jerseys are the Chicago Express jerseys...
damn, got thrown off by seeing ellington in white, and could have sworn the guy they sent off had anthony on his back.

Old
04-03-2012, 05:58 PM
DennisReynolds
the implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
He is the most NHL ready but at best he should be doing fill-in/injury replacement duty next season. For the most part his game is solid but he has off nights and it seems speedy wingers sometime gives him coverage issues (note he's actually a very good skater so this can be fixed, just need better gap control). Of course i only watch the odd game (and never a full game unless its vs the Heats) and mostly highlight/summary videos so there could be things i missed.
Thanks for the input! How's his offensive game? I've only heard that he's a pure shutdown defenceman.

Old
04-03-2012, 07:17 PM
timw33

So we're down to Grenier and Friesen for CHL'ers in the playoffs.

Cheering for Niagra and Halifax (They have St.Johns to contend with though).

Old
04-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Southern_Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
So we're down to Grenier and Friesen for CHL'ers in the playoffs.
And Hannay.

...if you still count him as a prospect.

In non-CHL playoffs, Kalamazoo vs. Wheeling begins tonight in the ECHL (Archibald, Rai)

S_C

Old
04-03-2012, 07:29 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_Canuck View Post
And Hannay.

...if you still count him as a prospect.

In non-CHL playoffs, Kalamazoo vs. Wheeling begins tonight in the ECHL (Archibald, Rai)

S_C
I don't - there's no chance he gets a contract.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:37 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMicrowave View Post
Thanks for the input! How's his offensive game? I've only heard that he's a pure shutdown defenceman.
He has a rocket shot and is a decent passer. Tho in the AHL, a lot of time the receiver of his pass can't handle it (too hard). Don't see that being an issue in the NHL but don't expect huge production out of him either.

He has been playing on the 2nd pairing most of the year (and sometime 1st pairing) but in the NHL level, don't see him being more than 3rd pairing on the 'nucks roster or replacing Albert. He actually has a similar skillset as Albert (except faster and better passer).

Old
04-04-2012, 07:44 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
7 games is a joke.

That is one of those incidents if it happened in the NHL, you know the police would be involved in....

And surely they will be involved in this case as well. Clearly way outside the boundaries of the play and there is lots of precedent for the police to be involved.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:10 PM
Wetcoaster

Feature article on goalie Joe Cannata and his recent signing trip to Vancouver and joining the Chicago Wolves.

Just when Joe Cannata didn’t think his spring break could get any better, his phone rang.

It was Mike Gillis – with great news.

On March 21st the Canucks signed the 22-year-old goaltender, drafted in the sixth round, 173rd overall by Vancouver in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft, to an entry-level contract.

A few days later he was in Laurence Gilman’s office at Rogers Arena surrounded by Canucks brass, including general manager Gillis, signing on the dotted line. If his composure in this situation is indicative of how he’ll react when under fire by the opposition with a game on the line, Cannata is going to be a superstar.

“I was freaking out on the inside,” he laughed. “It’s all been so exciting. Back home it didn’t really hit me, it did a little when Mr. Gillis called, but now just being here, it’s hit me a lot more and I’m very excited for the opportunity.”
http://canucks.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=625973

Old
04-04-2012, 09:37 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:

I found this video:

From the comments for that video:
Quote:
If your one of the people wondering how it was only one game and done. Its a loop hole in the ECHL, he only had to sit out the next 6games the Express played before signing again. So basically they released him knowing he wouldn't report elsewhere, let him "serve" it and then resigned.
7 games for even a first-timer wouldn't have been enough, let alone a repeat offender? Should've been suspended indefinitely. I hope the police are on this, but above all just hope Anthony's alright. I'm surprised there hasn't been more news on this, to be honest. What a f***ing disgusting act, and the discipline meted out is a complete joke too.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:40 AM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Wrote on Alex Friesen the other day - an excerpt:

Quote:
In a recent OHL Eastern Conference poll, Friesen was selected by the coaches as the top faceoff man in the conference (after coming third in the category in both 2011 and 2010). He was also named the top defensive forward, and the top penalty killer, as well. He was third on the list for the hardest worker award. Those four awards together paint a picture of Friesen’s style of play. His production is important too, as it is very rare that checking forwards at the NHL level were unable to produce offensively at the junior level.

Friesen will start next season in Chicago with the Wolves. He’ll likely start off in a depth role, as he adjusts to the speed and physicality of the professional game. While concerns about his size linger, he is more than ready to take the next step (I’d hope so after five OHL seasons), and the Canucks have to be happy with how he has improved in his strengths (defensive play and checking) while continuing to produce offensively.

In his final OHL season, Friesen finished with 26 goals, 71 points, and 107 PIM. Being an over ager and playing on an elite squad both were significant factors for his strong production (as was an injury to Strome, which opened up more offensive opportunities). How does he stack up against some current and former checking line players for the Canucks? Let’s take a look.

In their final CHL seasons…

Maxim Lapierre recorded 25 goals, 52 points, and 139 PIM.
Manny Malhotra recorded 16 goals, 51 points, and 29 PIM.
Matt Cooke recorded 22 goals, 54 points, and 99 PIM.
Mike Keane recorded 25 goals, 70 points, and 107 PIM.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:30 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
Wrote on Alex Friesen the other day - an excerpt:
Friesen this year: Turned 21; PPG: 1.14

Lapierre: Turned 20 late in the season; PPG 0.75
Malhotra:Turned 18 in that season; PPG 0.89
Cooke: Turned 20 in that season; PPG 1.125
Keane:Turned 20 in that season; PPG 1.32

Old
04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
The Big Foot

Having Cannata signed is great. Adds a lot to our goaltending situation for next year.

Eddie Lack will be an AHL veteran next fall...if he doesn't make the NHL team, a duo of Lack/Cannata is a possibility.

If Schneider (or Lou) gets traded, I'd assume Lack would battle for the BU role, possibly against a veteran (like the Raycroft/Schneider battle a few years back).

Anyways, Cannata is an exciting prospect. Gotta put him in the top ten right now amongst our guys - seems likely he will get a taste of the bigs at the very least. Great draft pick.

Old
04-06-2012, 05:09 PM
chopkins
Super Bowl Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
7 games is a joke.

Looks just as bad at the Bertuzzi incident, obviously without the same outcome though.

Closed Thread