HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part X

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2012, 11:00 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Laleggia was eligible to be drafted last year? Dammit...
and the year before.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:51 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Sigh... now we have to compete at the draft for him. Ugh.
Pretty sure he isn't part of the draft anymore. We probably would be contenders/favorites to sign him as a UFA if MG is interested.

Old
04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
as someone pointed out to me, he's probably going to want to continue with college/not sign

Old
04-10-2012, 12:11 AM
thefeebster

Laleggia is still eligible to be drafted. Its his final year, same year as Tanner Pearson.

I don't think he'll sign either, he should remain in College for at least 2 more years. But its important to secure his rights if you want him (I do), a draft pick isn't too much to give up, especially a mid-late one.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:27 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Laleggia is still eligible to be drafted. Its his final year, same year as Tanner Pearson.

I don't think he'll sign either, he should remain in College for at least 2 more years. But its important to secure his rights if you want him (I do), a draft pick isn't too much to give up, especially a mid-late one.
Well the rookie of the year awards in the NCAA are not keeping him off the radar for long.

It'll be tough to get him not having a 3rd or 4th. Would be semi-annoyed if they drafted him with a 2nd, after they didn't draft him last year late. He was obviously scouted, having been brought to prospects camp later in the summer.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:37 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Well the rookie of the year awards in the NCAA are not keeping him off the radar for long.
I would be willing to expend a late 2nd, but the last time I mentioned this, it was met with a lot of resistance. It might be considered a reach, but sometimes you like a player and want to get him, you will have to take those reaches to get him. I think this might be one of those cases. Who knows where he ends up going. Would definitely be helpful if we had some more mid round picks.

Old
04-10-2012, 12:58 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post

Looks like you're right, he's a '92, thought he was a '91.

Wouldn't mind spending a 3rd or 5th on him but not our 2nd (unless we get multiple picks before the draft). He has some upside but at the sametime isn't a position we really need when he's ready. In 5 years (assuming we extend Elder), there's virtually no chance he'll be dressed for 80 games given Hamhuis, Elder, MAG/Kcon/Sauve all play the left side. Not to mention our depth (relative timeline of when he's ready) on D is much higher than forwards.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Big Naissak
4 8 15 16 23 42

Send a message via Skype™ to Big Naissak
Not sure if posted before but check out Alex Friesens great opening goal from game #2, Great defensive play and acceleration, good sidestep/deke and great wrist shot

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...10eb6aadaa9a3c

Old
04-10-2012, 01:42 AM
Canuckee

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Looks like you're right, he's a '92, thought he was a '91.

Wouldn't mind spending a 3rd or 5th on him but not our 2nd (unless we get multiple picks before the draft). He has some upside but at the sametime isn't a position we really need when he's ready. In 5 years (assuming we extend Elder), there's virtually no chance he'll be dressed for 80 games given Hamhuis, Elder, MAG/Kcon/Sauve all play the left side. Not to mention our depth (relative timeline of when he's ready) on D is much higher than forwards.
A lot of things can change over time and you should not draft based on position too much because even though the team now doesn't need defensemen, in three years it can change. Who knows maybe Edler doesn't resign or Hamhuis/Bieksa have a career ending injury? ( I would die)

Also I wouldn't bet too much on MAG, Kcon, and Sauve. They are all long shots at this point to become steady NHL defensemen. Gragnani is almost there if he tightens up his defensive coverage. Had a terrible last two games.

Old
04-10-2012, 01:49 AM
metric

Quote:

It'll be tough to get him not having a 3rd or 4th. Would be semi-annoyed if they drafted him with a 2nd, after they didn't draft him last year late. He was obviously scouted, having been brought to prospects camp later in the summer.
I think acquiring a third and/or fourth round pick should be easy enough. Assuming Schneider gets traded to Tampa (they're just too perfect a trade partner) he should easily get a first and third (and perhaps a prospect). Tampa has three guaranteed second-round picks with a possible fourth. I'm sure they'll be fine adding another pick to get Cory. All hypothetical of course.

And then we have Raymond who, unless he has a spectacular playoff run, I can't see being with the team next year should easily get a third-round pick, if not second, in return. He's been really poor the last two years but he's still a bonafide NHL player. That's no guarantee with third or fourth-round picks.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:00 AM
SignThornton
BEAST MODE

Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grags2Kass View Post
Not sure if posted before but check out Alex Friesens great opening goal from game #2, Great defensive play and acceleration, good sidestep/deke and great wrist shot

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/v...10eb6aadaa9a3c
Don't mind me being nosy. Alex has be great in the PO's so far(that goal was one of his finest). He'll give you 100% every night in all zones. Sure gonna miss him in a Dogs sweater next year.

Old
04-10-2012, 02:07 AM
metric

Haven't been able to pay much attention to prospects unfortunately, too busy, and just noticed 15 points in 8 playoff games for Friesen. 4 more points than Strome. Third so far in OHL playoffs.

Edit: Checking out some Friesen vids on Youtube. He's going to be a fan favourite.

Last edited by metric: 04-10-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old
04-10-2012, 02:32 AM
windflare

Laleggia will be gone for sure by the 3rd, most likely by the 2nd. Sigh.

Old
04-10-2012, 04:08 AM

Also clogging up the left side in the future will be Pat McNally. He scored .82 ppg vs. LaLeggia's .88 ppg, both as freshman rookies in the NCAA. Gillis may have figured, before their freshman seasons, that the two were similar in talent, but since McNally was 4 inches taller (6'2" vs. 5'10") his size would be more projectable to the NHL.

Now, after their first NCAA seasons, Gillis may or may not have changed his mind, based on stats and scouting. A skilled offensive guy of 5'10" is probably going to have a tougher time clearing the front of the net than a guy of 6'2" who can skate, pass, and score almost as well.

Old
04-10-2012, 10:36 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
I think acquiring a third and/or fourth round pick should be easy enough. Assuming Schneider gets traded to Tampa (they're just too perfect a trade partner) he should easily get a first and third (and perhaps a prospect). Tampa has three guaranteed second-round picks with a possible fourth. I'm sure they'll be fine adding another pick to get Cory. All hypothetical of course.

And then we have Raymond who, unless he has a spectacular playoff run, I can't see being with the team next year should easily get a third-round pick, if not second, in return. He's been really poor the last two years but he's still a bonafide NHL player. That's no guarantee with third or fourth-round picks.
Shouldn't be an issue.

Getting picks wont be that big a deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
Laleggia will be gone for sure by the 3rd, most likely by the 2nd. Sigh.
It's too bad, nobody would have complained using a pick on him last year....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Also clogging up the left side in the future will be Pat McNally. He scored .82 ppg vs. LaLeggia's .88 ppg, both as freshman rookies in the NCAA. Gillis may have figured, before their freshman seasons, that the two were similar in talent, but since McNally was 4 inches taller (6'2" vs. 5'10") his size would be more projectable to the NHL.

Now, after their first NCAA seasons, Gillis may or may not have changed his mind, based on stats and scouting. A skilled offensive guy of 5'10" is probably going to have a tougher time clearing the front of the net than a guy of 6'2" who can skate, pass, and score almost as well.
I don't think the Left side thing is a big issue, no prospects are guaranteed to make. You just got to keep flooding the pipeline with players you think have a chance.

The more skill the better, look at a team like Colorado, they've got tonnes of smallish, slick skating puck movers in their system, and they've been able to keep pushing their NHL blue line for jobs and playing time, and were able to move Shattenkirk for a much bigger blue liner (say what you want about Erik Johnson, he was a former 1st overall).

Being able to constantly make decisions from a position of strength is what this organization needs to keep doing.

Just like the Ehrhoff decision, letting him leave because we have Tanev etc....

I'd like Laleggia in the 3rd a lot more than the 2nd.

Old
04-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Jevo

The Danish national hockey team coach has said that Nicklas Jensen won't be in consideration for this years WC team, after he got sent to the AHL. There won't be time to evaluated him at camp before the tournament. But from his words it seems like he was a strong candidate for a spot on the team had he been available in the pre-tournament camp.

Source (in Danish): http://tv2sport.dk/landstraener-afsk...-talent-til-vm

Old
04-11-2012, 01:39 AM
synobyte
Canucks Cultist

Jensen got his first Ahl goal today

Old
04-11-2012, 05:01 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
is Alex Friesen signed by the Canucks?

Old
04-11-2012, 05:17 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
is Alex Friesen signed by the Canucks?
According to capgeek he's not signed. But I would guess he gets signed when his season with Niagara is finished.

Old
04-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Shaun871

Friesen had an assist in Niagara's sweep completing 3-1 win over Brampton.

Not having him signed is looking good as it seems like he is playing to earn a contract. He is currently tied for 3rd in playoff scoring with 6 goals and 11 assists in 10 games (exact same stats as Strome, same points as Saad). Catenacci and Rieder of Kitchener are 1-2.

It appears as though Niagara will take on Mark Scheifele and the Barrie Colts as they are up 3-1 on Ottawa, a slight upset (#3 over #2)

Old
04-13-2012, 09:43 AM
The Big Foot

Why not give Matson a deal and try to cut ties with a guy like Stefan Schneider? Matson seems to have some intangibles (captain of Gophers). I guess this try out contract or whatever it's called is a great opportunity to see what we've got.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:17 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Foot View Post
Why not give Matson a deal and try to cut ties with a guy like Stefan Schneider? Matson seems to have some intangibles (captain of Gophers). I guess this try out contract or whatever it's called is a great opportunity to see what we've got.
I wish we would have offered Matt Fraser a deal when we had him in camp.

36 goals as a first year AHLer...

It was contracts like Stefan Schneiders, Taylor Ellington's, Prab Rai' etc, that are keeping us from actually signing players with NHL potential.

Matson looks decent so far, I hope our contract situation doesn't impede us from signing good prospects in the future.

Old
04-13-2012, 10:21 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
I wish we would have offered Matt Fraser a deal when we had him in camp.

36 goals as a first year AHLer...

It was contracts like Stefan Schneiders, Taylor Ellington's, Prab Rai' etc, that are keeping us from actually signing players with NHL potential.

Matson looks decent so far, I hope our contract situation doesn't impede us from signing good prospects in the future.
You can't hit a homerun with every signing. Canucks are doing pretty good considering they added Tanev and Lack for free. Are there teams with better free agent records over the past 3 years? (Serious question, I haven't checked...)

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-13-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old
04-13-2012, 11:10 AM
pitseleh

I don't know if this is true, but it seems the Canucks are also slightly hamstrung because they sign guys to NHL deals to play on the farm. Doesn't seem like other teams do it to the same extent.

That said, some of the signings (Ellington, Schneider) were pretty indefensible at the time and in hindsight.

Old
04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
You can't hit a homerun with every signing. Canucks are doing pretty good considering they added Tanev and Lack for free. Are there teams with better free agent records over the past 3 years? (Serious question, I haven't checked...)
You can't, but the players that are being brought in to prospects camp (Fraser, Laleggia, Houser, even Zanetti) have gone on to really establish themselves this year.

Laleggia and Houser are both back in the draft, but we could have had both (Laleggia is a different case, we would have had to draft him, but Houser and Fraser could have been free prospects).

Just imagine right now that Fraser, Laleggia and Houser were all Canucks property right now. The prospect pool would look that much better, and we wouldn't have such a jaded outlook on our scouting department.

Closed Thread