HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part X

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Edit: Nevermind, see the Wolves' thread for more info.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old
04-19-2012, 12:33 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Double post warning . . .

Is Jensen going to be able to play in the AHL next season?

I thought the age rules made him able only to play for the Canucks or back in junior next season. But in the Province this morning (Jensen article):

"NOTES According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season. Juniors... "

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ni...#ixzz1sPK2bVgw

Right or wrong? If it's right, it's great news, as he could be ready for the AHL by the end of the "big summer" that's mentioned in the article.

I'm not sure whether to post this in the Wolves or Prospects thread . . .
Its wrong, Jensen was drafted out of the CHL (OHL if you want to be exact), which means either 'nucks or Jr. team until he turns 20. Basically next season its either 'nucks (unlikely) or Jr (likely) and his ELC will slide another year (which honestly makes more sense for the organization unless he's NHL ready). Possible he might get 9 game with the 'nucks before going back to Jr. if he has a good camp (and if he plays a 10th game, odds are he won't go back down given we burned a year on his ELC already).

Old
04-19-2012, 12:39 AM
tonydif

The columnist obviously checked with Chicago first, so its true.

Old
04-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydif View Post
Who knows how he posed the question or who he checked with.

Old
04-19-2012, 01:52 AM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
I loved watching Grenier play on Sportsnet a while ago when he scored that nice breakaway goal, and how he was practically 7 inches taller than everyone else on the ice. He could be a real snag in the 3rd round as an overager. I'm liking all of our picks in the first 5 rounds from last year a lot, Jensen and Corrado are great, LaBate and Grenier look solid, and Blomstrand looks like he could be a good roleplayer.

Old
04-19-2012, 02:01 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydif View Post
You'll be surprised. Both papers often have mistakes (and not just typos) as well as mis-information. For example (forgot which paper) actually stated that Schn would be a UFA at the end of this season (without doing their research) last year near the deadline.

Also if you look at the quote carefully and column again, it actually states

According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season. Juniors...

all of which is in regard with Jensen. After the word Juniors, it talks about Cannata so Juniors is a reference to Jensen. Basically if the columnist talked to the Wolves, the Juniors in there likely implies at the end of Jensen's season in the Jrs (just like this year).

Old
04-19-2012, 08:03 AM
solitary

Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Its wrong, Jensen was drafted out of the CHL (OHL if you want to be exact), which means either 'nucks or Jr. team until he turns 20. Basically next season its either 'nucks (unlikely) or Jr (likely) and his ELC will slide another year (which honestly makes more sense for the organization unless he's NHL ready). Possible he might get 9 game with the 'nucks before going back to Jr. if he has a good camp (and if he plays a 10th game, odds are he won't go back down given we burned a year on his ELC already).
I thought it was right as he was taken in the CHL Import Draft. He is an import player. Maybe someone can confirm.

Old
04-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
I thought it was right as he was taken in the CHL Import Draft. He is an import player. Maybe someone can confirm.
He was drafted out of the CHL though so those rules don't apply to him.

Edit: This thread came up in search: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=403429 — the poster actually fact-checked with AHL and CHL teams so it's about as reliable as we're going to get.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
Except during his draft year, he played in the CHL so the CHL team that drafted him own his right until he's 20 unless of course he's in the NHL. Also he cannot change league in the middle of a season unless its a e. call up and thats only for 1 game (i.e. he can't just go to the AHL on his 20th birthday).

The import rules only apply if the play was playing oversea and no CHL team owns his rights in his draft year. I.e. take Yakupov as an example. The Oilers (assuming they draft him) will either keep him in the NHL (likely given their history) or send him back to his Jr. team. They do have the extra option of sending him to the KHL or oversea if a team is willing to take him. The same options hold true for Jensen next year (tho realistically no chance he goes to the SEL instead of OHL).

Old
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Except during his draft year, he played in the CHL so the CHL team that drafted him own his right until he's 20 unless of course he's in the NHL. Also he cannot change league in the middle of a season unless its a e. call up and thats only for 1 game (i.e. he can't just go to the AHL on his 20th birthday).

The import rules only apply if the play was playing oversea and no CHL team owns his rights in his draft year. I.e. take Yakupov as an example. The Oilers (assuming they draft him) will either keep him in the NHL (likely given their history) or send him back to his Jr. team. They do have the extra option of sending him to the KHL or oversea if a team is willing to take him. The same options hold true for Jensen next year (tho realistically no chance he goes to the SEL instead of OHL).
Are you sure that's correct? I think they have to offer him back to his junior team first before they can try to loan him to Europe or anywhere else.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Are you sure that's correct? I think they have to offer him back to his junior team first before they can try to loan him to Europe or anywhere else.
Not 100% sure on that, i know its true for AHL/oversea but can't think of any example for CHL/oversea. I assume that there isn't any agreement between CHL and KHL that NHL prospects could go there instead of the CHL but more often than not, most KHL draftee wouldn't be in the CHL in their draft year.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!

vCash: 50
Quote:

I'd like to see Jensen go and play in the SEL. I think he would develop better overseas.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Not 100% sure on that, i know its true for AHL/oversea but can't think of any example for CHL/oversea. I assume that there isn't any agreement between CHL and KHL that NHL prospects could go there instead of the CHL but more often than not, most KHL draftee wouldn't be in the CHL in their draft year.
Well, the CBA states that any 18 or 19 year old draftee has to be offered back to the club he was drafted from before being eligible to be loaned elsewhere. The CHL/NHL agreements builds on that.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
Edler Von Gud

Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
I'd like to see Jensen go and play in the SEL. I think he would develop better overseas.
or traded away from Oshawa. That organization is a bit of a mess.

Old
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Well, the CBA states that any 18 or 19 year old draftee has to be offered back to the club he was drafted from before being eligible to be loaned elsewhere. The CHL/NHL agreements builds on that.
Thats interesting, didn't know that was in the CBA.

Old
04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
A handy little Twitter feed for updates on Canucks prospects:
http://twitter.com/#!/CanucksFutures

Old
04-20-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
A handy little Twitter feed for updates on Canucks prospects:
http://twitter.com/#!/CanucksFutures
Thanks for that! It's now on my bookmark bar, beside hfboards and tsn. Good find.

I see in there that Joe LaBate's 19th birthday was April 16th. He played his freshman season as an important cog (4th leading forward scorer, I think) at age 18, which is getting to be uncommon on the Badgers and lots of other NCAA teams, due partly to the USHL route for pre-college (almost red-shirt) development. With his big body, and self-proclaimed work ethic, he'll be a force in the next year or two. He'll be eligible age-wise (20) for the Wolves this time next year, and it will be interesting to see if he and the Canucks choose to opt him out of college then, or the year after. His pro timetable, after being drafted, was "two or three years."

Old
04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Thanks for that! It's now on my bookmark bar, beside hfboards and tsn. Good find.

I see in there that Joe LaBate's 19th birthday was April 16th. He played his freshman season as an important cog (4th leading forward scorer, I think) at age 18, which is getting to be uncommon on the Badgers and lots of other NCAA teams, due partly to the USHL route for pre-college (almost red-shirt) development. With his big body, and self-proclaimed work ethic, he'll be a force in the next year or two. He'll be eligible age-wise (20) for the Wolves this time next year, and it will be interesting to see if he and the Canucks choose to opt him out of college then, or the year after. His pro timetable, after being drafted, was "two or three years."
I thought LaBate dropped because there were rumours he wanted to go the full 4 years? Also, he's tall now and odds are he'll fill out but you never know. He could be a Kyle Turris and remain a twig.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I thought LaBate dropped because there were rumours he wanted to go the full 4 years? Also, he's tall now and odds are he'll fill out but you never know. He could be a Kyle Turris and remain a twig.
He's not a twig; he's getting to be a pretty big boy. He talked about being gifted with a good body around draft time, along with mention of his work ethic and personal time table for the pros. There's a video but I don't have the reference for it at this point.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
You might be thinking of McNally, he said he's gonna use 4 years at college.

Old
04-20-2012, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
You might be thinking of McNally, he said he's gonna use 4 years at college.
I was going to suggest that to Yogi too. And even for McNally, his mind, like
anyone's, is probably open to change as his situation develops.

Back to LaBate: in the Badger interviews I saw this year, he had almost a hulking, brooding presence. Mind you, I only saw his head and shoulders, but he seemed mature for his years, and more of a serious dude than a twig. He is said to like contact. I see him and Kassian as bookends, or since he plays C as well as LW, a line of Jensen-LaBate-Kassian could have some jam to it. So long as Jensen's LHS works as well for him on the left side as it certainly does on the right.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:19 PM
metric

Jensen: 6'3", 186 lbs
LaBate: 6'4", 195 lbs
Kassian: 6'3", 213 lbs

Jensen and LaBate certain have room to fill out while Kassian might still be able to add a few pounds. That is some size.

Old
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
JUMBOcanuck

vCash: 883
Quote:

He was actually eligible for the AHL the day he was drafted. He was not drafted out of the CHL thus is able to play at age 18. I don't think there's much reason to rush him though so it doesn't really matter.

Old
04-20-2012, 08:17 PM
PRNuck

Niagara's playing Ottawa on Sportsnet right now FYI. Just tuned in, haven't seen Friesen yet.

Old
04-21-2012, 02:51 AM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Jensen: 6'3", 186 lbs
LaBate: 6'4", 195 lbs
Kassian: 6'3", 213 lbs

Jensen and LaBate certain have room to fill out while Kassian might still be able to add a few pounds. That is some size.
Eliteprospects has Jensen at 203 lbs. I don't know where they got that info from though.

Closed Thread