HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread - Part X

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-18-2012, 12:30 PM
  #101
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Edit: Nevermind, see the Wolves' thread for more info.


Last edited by Tiranis: 04-18-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 12:33 AM
  #102
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Double post warning . . .

Is Jensen going to be able to play in the AHL next season?

I thought the age rules made him able only to play for the Canucks or back in junior next season. But in the Province this morning (Jensen article):

"NOTES According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season. Juniors... "

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Ni...#ixzz1sPK2bVgw

Right or wrong? If it's right, it's great news, as he could be ready for the AHL by the end of the "big summer" that's mentioned in the article.

I'm not sure whether to post this in the Wolves or Prospects thread . . .
Its wrong, Jensen was drafted out of the CHL (OHL if you want to be exact), which means either 'nucks or Jr. team until he turns 20. Basically next season its either 'nucks (unlikely) or Jr (likely) and his ELC will slide another year (which honestly makes more sense for the organization unless he's NHL ready). Possible he might get 9 game with the 'nucks before going back to Jr. if he has a good camp (and if he plays a 10th game, odds are he won't go back down given we burned a year on his ELC already).

denkiteki is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 12:39 AM
  #103
tonydif
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
vCash: 500
The columnist obviously checked with Chicago first, so its true.

tonydif is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 12:49 AM
  #104
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydif View Post
The columnist obviously checked with Chicago first, so its true.
Who knows how he posed the question or who he checked with.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 01:52 AM
  #105
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,200
vCash: 420
I loved watching Grenier play on Sportsnet a while ago when he scored that nice breakaway goal, and how he was practically 7 inches taller than everyone else on the ice. He could be a real snag in the 3rd round as an overager. I'm liking all of our picks in the first 5 rounds from last year a lot, Jensen and Corrado are great, LaBate and Grenier look solid, and Blomstrand looks like he could be a good roleplayer.

Hansen 36 is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 02:01 AM
  #106
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydif View Post
The columnist obviously checked with Chicago first, so its true.
You'll be surprised. Both papers often have mistakes (and not just typos) as well as mis-information. For example (forgot which paper) actually stated that Schn would be a UFA at the end of this season (without doing their research) last year near the deadline.

Also if you look at the quote carefully and column again, it actually states

According to the Wolves, Jensen is eligible to play in the AHL next season. Juniors...

all of which is in regard with Jensen. After the word Juniors, it talks about Cannata so Juniors is a reference to Jensen. Basically if the columnist talked to the Wolves, the Juniors in there likely implies at the end of Jensen's season in the Jrs (just like this year).

denkiteki is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 08:03 AM
  #107
solitary
Registered User
 
solitary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 545
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Its wrong, Jensen was drafted out of the CHL (OHL if you want to be exact), which means either 'nucks or Jr. team until he turns 20. Basically next season its either 'nucks (unlikely) or Jr (likely) and his ELC will slide another year (which honestly makes more sense for the organization unless he's NHL ready). Possible he might get 9 game with the 'nucks before going back to Jr. if he has a good camp (and if he plays a 10th game, odds are he won't go back down given we burned a year on his ELC already).
I thought it was right as he was taken in the CHL Import Draft. He is an import player. Maybe someone can confirm.

solitary is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 08:20 AM
  #108
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
I thought it was right as he was taken in the CHL Import Draft. He is an import player. Maybe someone can confirm.
He was drafted out of the CHL though so those rules don't apply to him.

Edit: This thread came up in search: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=403429 — the poster actually fact-checked with AHL and CHL teams so it's about as reliable as we're going to get.


Last edited by Tiranis: 04-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:11 PM
  #109
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitary View Post
I thought it was right as he was taken in the CHL Import Draft. He is an import player. Maybe someone can confirm.
Except during his draft year, he played in the CHL so the CHL team that drafted him own his right until he's 20 unless of course he's in the NHL. Also he cannot change league in the middle of a season unless its a e. call up and thats only for 1 game (i.e. he can't just go to the AHL on his 20th birthday).

The import rules only apply if the play was playing oversea and no CHL team owns his rights in his draft year. I.e. take Yakupov as an example. The Oilers (assuming they draft him) will either keep him in the NHL (likely given their history) or send him back to his Jr. team. They do have the extra option of sending him to the KHL or oversea if a team is willing to take him. The same options hold true for Jensen next year (tho realistically no chance he goes to the SEL instead of OHL).

denkiteki is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
  #110
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Except during his draft year, he played in the CHL so the CHL team that drafted him own his right until he's 20 unless of course he's in the NHL. Also he cannot change league in the middle of a season unless its a e. call up and thats only for 1 game (i.e. he can't just go to the AHL on his 20th birthday).

The import rules only apply if the play was playing oversea and no CHL team owns his rights in his draft year. I.e. take Yakupov as an example. The Oilers (assuming they draft him) will either keep him in the NHL (likely given their history) or send him back to his Jr. team. They do have the extra option of sending him to the KHL or oversea if a team is willing to take him. The same options hold true for Jensen next year (tho realistically no chance he goes to the SEL instead of OHL).
Are you sure that's correct? I think they have to offer him back to his junior team first before they can try to loan him to Europe or anywhere else.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:24 PM
  #111
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Are you sure that's correct? I think they have to offer him back to his junior team first before they can try to loan him to Europe or anywhere else.
Not 100% sure on that, i know its true for AHL/oversea but can't think of any example for CHL/oversea. I assume that there isn't any agreement between CHL and KHL that NHL prospects could go there instead of the CHL but more often than not, most KHL draftee wouldn't be in the CHL in their draft year.

denkiteki is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
  #112
Royal Canuck
SuperCam!
 
Royal Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,747
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Except during his draft year, he played in the CHL so the CHL team that drafted him own his right until he's 20 unless of course he's in the NHL. Also he cannot change league in the middle of a season unless its a e. call up and thats only for 1 game (i.e. he can't just go to the AHL on his 20th birthday).

The import rules only apply if the play was playing oversea and no CHL team owns his rights in his draft year. I.e. take Yakupov as an example. The Oilers (assuming they draft him) will either keep him in the NHL (likely given their history) or send him back to his Jr. team. They do have the extra option of sending him to the KHL or oversea if a team is willing to take him. The same options hold true for Jensen next year (tho realistically no chance he goes to the SEL instead of OHL).
I'd like to see Jensen go and play in the SEL. I think he would develop better overseas.

__________________

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
PSN - TBennz
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:25 PM
  #113
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,959
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by denkiteki View Post
Not 100% sure on that, i know its true for AHL/oversea but can't think of any example for CHL/oversea. I assume that there isn't any agreement between CHL and KHL that NHL prospects could go there instead of the CHL but more often than not, most KHL draftee wouldn't be in the CHL in their draft year.
Well, the CBA states that any 18 or 19 year old draftee has to be offered back to the club he was drafted from before being eligible to be loaned elsewhere. The CHL/NHL agreements builds on that.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:28 PM
  #114
Edler Von Gud
Registered User
 
Edler Von Gud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,029
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Edler Von Gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Crossbar View Post
I'd like to see Jensen go and play in the SEL. I think he would develop better overseas.
or traded away from Oshawa. That organization is a bit of a mess.

Edler Von Gud is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 03:44 PM
  #115
denkiteki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Well, the CBA states that any 18 or 19 year old draftee has to be offered back to the club he was drafted from before being eligible to be loaned elsewhere. The CHL/NHL agreements builds on that.
Thats interesting, didn't know that was in the CBA.

denkiteki is offline  
Old
04-19-2012, 07:43 PM
  #116
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,036
vCash: 250
A handy little Twitter feed for updates on Canucks prospects:
http://twitter.com/#!/CanucksFutures

vanuck is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 01:23 PM
  #117
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
A handy little Twitter feed for updates on Canucks prospects:
http://twitter.com/#!/CanucksFutures
Thanks for that! It's now on my bookmark bar, beside hfboards and tsn. Good find.

I see in there that Joe LaBate's 19th birthday was April 16th. He played his freshman season as an important cog (4th leading forward scorer, I think) at age 18, which is getting to be uncommon on the Badgers and lots of other NCAA teams, due partly to the USHL route for pre-college (almost red-shirt) development. With his big body, and self-proclaimed work ethic, he'll be a force in the next year or two. He'll be eligible age-wise (20) for the Wolves this time next year, and it will be interesting to see if he and the Canucks choose to opt him out of college then, or the year after. His pro timetable, after being drafted, was "two or three years."

701 is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 01:48 PM
  #118
YogiCanucks
Registered User
 
YogiCanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Thanks for that! It's now on my bookmark bar, beside hfboards and tsn. Good find.

I see in there that Joe LaBate's 19th birthday was April 16th. He played his freshman season as an important cog (4th leading forward scorer, I think) at age 18, which is getting to be uncommon on the Badgers and lots of other NCAA teams, due partly to the USHL route for pre-college (almost red-shirt) development. With his big body, and self-proclaimed work ethic, he'll be a force in the next year or two. He'll be eligible age-wise (20) for the Wolves this time next year, and it will be interesting to see if he and the Canucks choose to opt him out of college then, or the year after. His pro timetable, after being drafted, was "two or three years."
I thought LaBate dropped because there were rumours he wanted to go the full 4 years? Also, he's tall now and odds are he'll fill out but you never know. He could be a Kyle Turris and remain a twig.

YogiCanucks is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 02:04 PM
  #119
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I thought LaBate dropped because there were rumours he wanted to go the full 4 years? Also, he's tall now and odds are he'll fill out but you never know. He could be a Kyle Turris and remain a twig.
He's not a twig; he's getting to be a pretty big boy. He talked about being gifted with a good body around draft time, along with mention of his work ethic and personal time table for the pros. There's a video but I don't have the reference for it at this point.

701 is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 02:08 PM
  #120
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
I thought LaBate dropped because there were rumours he wanted to go the full 4 years? Also, he's tall now and odds are he'll fill out but you never know. He could be a Kyle Turris and remain a twig.
You might be thinking of McNally, he said he's gonna use 4 years at college.

Jevo is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 02:27 PM
  #121
701
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Vancouver & OK Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,838
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
You might be thinking of McNally, he said he's gonna use 4 years at college.
I was going to suggest that to Yogi too. And even for McNally, his mind, like
anyone's, is probably open to change as his situation develops.

Back to LaBate: in the Badger interviews I saw this year, he had almost a hulking, brooding presence. Mind you, I only saw his head and shoulders, but he seemed mature for his years, and more of a serious dude than a twig. He is said to like contact. I see him and Kassian as bookends, or since he plays C as well as LW, a line of Jensen-LaBate-Kassian could have some jam to it. So long as Jensen's LHS works as well for him on the left side as it certainly does on the right.

701 is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 04:19 PM
  #122
metric
Registered User
 
metric's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,519
vCash: 500
Jensen: 6'3", 186 lbs
LaBate: 6'4", 195 lbs
Kassian: 6'3", 213 lbs

Jensen and LaBate certain have room to fill out while Kassian might still be able to add a few pounds. That is some size.

metric is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
  #123
JUMBOcanuck
Registered User
 
JUMBOcanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 716
vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 View Post
Thanks for that! It's now on my bookmark bar, beside hfboards and tsn. Good find.

I see in there that Joe LaBate's 19th birthday was April 16th. He played his freshman season as an important cog (4th leading forward scorer, I think) at age 18, which is getting to be uncommon on the Badgers and lots of other NCAA teams, due partly to the USHL route for pre-college (almost red-shirt) development. With his big body, and self-proclaimed work ethic, he'll be a force in the next year or two. He'll be eligible age-wise (20) for the Wolves this time next year, and it will be interesting to see if he and the Canucks choose to opt him out of college then, or the year after. His pro timetable, after being drafted, was "two or three years."
He was actually eligible for the AHL the day he was drafted. He was not drafted out of the CHL thus is able to play at age 18. I don't think there's much reason to rush him though so it doesn't really matter.

JUMBOcanuck is offline  
Old
04-20-2012, 08:17 PM
  #124
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,098
vCash: 500
Niagara's playing Ottawa on Sportsnet right now FYI. Just tuned in, haven't seen Friesen yet.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
04-21-2012, 02:51 AM
  #125
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,477
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Jensen: 6'3", 186 lbs
LaBate: 6'4", 195 lbs
Kassian: 6'3", 213 lbs

Jensen and LaBate certain have room to fill out while Kassian might still be able to add a few pounds. That is some size.
Eliteprospects has Jensen at 203 lbs. I don't know where they got that info from though.

Jevo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.