HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Former Senator Andreas Dackell retires

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2012, 04:48 AM
  #1
burgess1978
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Gold Coast
Country: Australia
Posts: 2,304
vCash: 500
Former Senator Andreas Dackell retires

Andreas Dackell Retires

Andreas Dackell, team captain of Brynäs IF, if forced to end his active career following a knee injury. He's been troubled by the injury during the whole season but yet tried a comeback in the playoffs, a comeback that didn't succeded.

"It feels strange of course. Hockey is something I've been playing all my life, but everything has a limit", Andreas Dackell told the clubs website. "It hurts a lot and simply doesn't work to play games anymore".

The 39-year old Dackell will now be supporting his teammates rinkside.

burgess1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 04:49 AM
  #2
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,884
vCash: 500
Happy trails, Dackell.

Feels like forever since he was playing in Ottawa.

__________________
CanadianHockey________ __ __________Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:26 AM
  #3
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,074
vCash: 500
I'll always have a soft spot for Dacks, I loved that guy.

Drafted super late (6th round) as a 23 year old, played the very next season following his draft... super sneaky draft pick. Played great, gave his all while he was here. I could never wish him any ill, even when he was a Hab. I'd always secretly hope he'd score a goal for them in a losing effort against the Sens, haha...

All the best, Andy. Hopefully retirement finds you well.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:55 AM
  #4
operasen
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 3,639
vCash: 500
That Lindross hit happened right in front of me - I'm happy Dackell ever skated again.

operasen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:10 AM
  #5
Bob Kudelski
Registered User
 
Bob Kudelski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,379
vCash: 500
MacEachern - Yashin - Dackell

The Ministry of Offence line.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:25 AM
  #6
White Goodman
smell that fitness?
 
White Goodman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB
Country: England
Posts: 6,745
vCash: 50
Sad times.

White Goodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:55 AM
  #7
Kush
Registered User
 
Kush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kudelski View Post
MacEachern - Yashin - Dackell

The Ministry of Offence line.
This makes me feel old.....

Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
  #8
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt
 
Buck Aki Berg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
This makes me feel old.....
Yeah, but in a good way - I was a lot more invested in hockey in the late 90s than I am today, and those first few years that the Sens iced a competitive team were exciting times in this town

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
  #9
Ed Wood
Registered User
 
Ed Wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
I had no idea he was still playing. I liked him. He got moved from line to line a lot and was known for providing a spark to his new line. Makes me wonder if Magnus Arvedsson is still playing somewhere.

Ed Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:24 AM
  #10
Quo
...
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Hamsterdam
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
I had no idea he was still playing. I liked him. He got moved from line to line a lot and was known for providing a spark to his new line. Makes me wonder if Magnus Arvedsson is still playing somewhere.
Coaching actually. Somewhere in Sweden.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:51 AM
  #11
Germz
4th liners ftw
 
Germz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500


Today, Andreas Dackell is best remembered for the thunderous hit he took from Eric Lindros. But there was more to his Ottawa career than just getting his face smashed-in. After striking gold with Daniel Alfredsson, winner of the 1996 Calder Trophy, the Senators looked to find a similar late-round gem in that year’s NHL draft. Like Alfredsson (133rd in 1994), Dackell (136th in 1996) was a slightly undersized two-way over-age RW with a strong work ethic. He had posted similar numbers to Alfredsson over a number of years in Sweden’s elite league. It soon became clear that Dackell did not possess Alfredsson’s offensive gifts, but he made the Senators’ roster out of camp and quickly established himself as a defensive forward who could chip in with some scoring. Before long, he was logging big minutes playing with Alexei Yashin as the defensive conscience for the Senators’ top scoring line. This allowed the dependable but very ordinary Swede to post a career-high 50 points during Yashin’s breakout 1998-99 campaign.

Like Yashin, however, Dackell struggled to find the same success in the playoffs. During Yashin’s holdout and contractually-obligated years, Dackell returned to his role as a 30-35 point defensive winger and his ice-time declined considerably. With the emergence of cheaper and younger right wing talents Marian Hossa and Martin Havlat and the acquisition of “scoreless Bill” Muckalt in the off-season Yashin trade, the writing was on the wall for Dackell, and he was shipped off to Montreal for a late-round pick as a salary dump. While he may have been a profoundly unremarkable player, he was a Jacques Martin favourite who played a key role on the team for five seasons.

For a while Andy Dackell was actually my favourite player on the team. No joke. I think I just liked his name. I also liked Van Allen for the same reason.

Good night sweet prince.

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
  #12
Qward
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 14,084
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Loves those Jerseys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post
Good night sweet prince.
He retired. He didn't die.

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:20 AM
  #13
Germz
4th liners ftw
 
Germz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
He retired. He didn't die.
ok ........

Germz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:54 AM
  #14
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,426
vCash: 500
For the longest time, he held the distinction of having the most points of any player selected in the 1996 draft. It was a great trivia question.

discostu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
  #15
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germz View Post


Today, Andreas Dackell is best remembered for the thunderous hit he took from Eric Lindros. But there was more to his Ottawa career than just getting his face smashed-in. After striking gold with Daniel Alfredsson, winner of the 1996 Calder Trophy, the Senators looked to find a similar late-round gem in that year’s NHL draft. Like Alfredsson (133rd in 1994), Dackell (136th in 1996) was a slightly undersized two-way over-age RW with a strong work ethic. He had posted similar numbers to Alfredsson over a number of years in Sweden’s elite league. It soon became clear that Dackell did not possess Alfredsson’s offensive gifts, but he made the Senators’ roster out of camp and quickly established himself as a defensive forward who could chip in with some scoring. Before long, he was logging big minutes playing with Alexei Yashin as the defensive conscience for the Senators’ top scoring line. This allowed the dependable but very ordinary Swede to post a career-high 50 points during Yashin’s breakout 1998-99 campaign.

Like Yashin, however, Dackell struggled to find the same success in the playoffs. During Yashin’s holdout and contractually-obligated years, Dackell returned to his role as a 30-35 point defensive winger and his ice-time declined considerably. With the emergence of cheaper and younger right wing talents Marian Hossa and Martin Havlat and the acquisition of “scoreless Bill” Muckalt in the off-season Yashin trade, the writing was on the wall for Dackell, and he was shipped off to Montreal for a late-round pick as a salary dump. While he may have been a profoundly unremarkable player, he was a Jacques Martin favourite who played a key role on the team for five seasons.

For a while Andy Dackell was actually my favourite player on the team. No joke. I think I just liked his name. I also liked Van Allen for the same reason.

Good night sweet prince.
Beautiful post.

Lest we forget...Andreas Dackell.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
  #16
Indrew
Registered User
 
Indrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
For the longest time, he held the distinction of having the most points of any player selected in the 1996 draft. It was a great trivia question.
Danny Briere ruins everything he touches.

Indrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:31 PM
  #17
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 15,926
vCash: 500
Give em Dackhell wherever you go Andreas, give em Dackhell buddy.

PeterSidorkiewicz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:05 PM
  #18
Kush
Registered User
 
Kush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ottawa, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 781
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Yeah, but in a good way - I was a lot more invested in hockey in the late 90s than I am today, and those first few years that the Sens iced a competitive team were exciting times in this town
You are so right. Remember Havlat going in all alone on Cujo and scoring in one of his very first NHL games? Good times!

Kush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:28 PM
  #19
Orange Thunder
Registered User
 
Orange Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,724
vCash: 500
Happy trails Andy

Orange Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
  #20
Rhino Reilly
Gettn Wiggy wit it
 
Rhino Reilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: in your head
Country: Equatorial Guinea
Posts: 14,886
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Rhino Reilly
He, Alfie, and 'the machine' made many Sens fans fall in love with the way Swede's play the game.

Rhino Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
  #21
Benny FTW
[yt]M6PbdJiAK84[/yt]
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,834
vCash: 50

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
  #22
SenzZen
Up Late With McBain
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,531
vCash: 500
Great post Germz. Pretty much nailed it.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:39 PM
  #23
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
We hardly knew ye.

__________________
No longer valid
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
  #24
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,066
vCash: 500
Never got to see him play but sounds like a potential honorable Sen?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 03:58 PM
  #25
moz
Gute Post
 
moz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: England
Posts: 7,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Never got to see him play but sounds like a potential honorable Sen?
I don't know that he quite deserves jersey retirement but some sort of acknowledgement or hot dog named in his honour would be appropriate.

Requiescat in pace.

moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.