HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Omark regarding WC and the future in Edmonton

Old
04-03-2012, 10:05 PM
oilers4life5

vCash: 500
I would trade Omark to the Ducks for rights to Shultz and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:20 AM
t0nedeff

vCash: 562
I hope he moves on and has a Grabner type season just to pile on the **** on this thing called Oilers management. All way from the owner to the dimwitted coach.

t0nedeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:57 AM
alanschu

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nedeff View Post
I hope he moves on and has a Grabner type season just to pile on the **** on this thing called Oilers management. All way from the owner to the dimwitted coach.
What will you think if he goes on and does nothing?

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:50 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Well, this makes me and owning an Omark shirt look rather silly.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:52 AM
LaGu

Just to clarify exactly what Omark said in that interview since some posters have shown an interest (as always) in his exact quotes. I have tried to do this word for word but sometimes a direct translation changes the actual meaning and in those cases I have allowed myself to modify a bit (but as little as possible).

On not playing / being traded:
- Of course I am disappointed, but what can I do? I am pretty sure that the Oilers will look to trade me the summer, probably during the entry draft. My time with the Oilers is up so the only thing I can do is to look forward.
- They will most certainly try to trade me since they don't want to loose me without any return. And I know that there were about 10 NHL clubs that showed interest in me during autumn.
- If they want to send me down to the OKC for the playoffs I will have to be put on waivers and another club could pick me up for free. I am not sure that the Oilers would want to risk that.

I know these quotes look a bit conflicting, i.e. "pretty sure", "most certainly" and "not sure" but the second quote was basically a reply to a question on trade vs. being sent away for nothing

On the WC try-out
- I will fly home on Wednesday next week and join Tre kronor on April 16. It's going to be fantastic, I really feel pumped up and I will give everything to earn a spot on the WC roster.
- I am grateful for the opportunity I am given with the try-out. I have not played alot lately so I understand that the coaches need to see what I can do.

On his year/situation
- It's be a really tough year, especially since I injured my foot in the autumn. Then I played in OKC but when I was called up I went in and out of the line up and up and down in ice time. Sometimes I played in the 4th line and sometimes I was scratched.

On if he still practices with the team
- Absolutely!

LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

For my money, in terms of paving the road for long term success with the Oilers, the biggest mistake Omark made was spending that year in Russia to score some easy money instead of coming over to the Oilers at that point when they were hoping he would. IMO that put him behind the 8 ball with this organization from the beginning.

At day's end though, I'd say that Tyrolean's description of Omark fits best: A tweener that never produced enough offense to compensate for how much of an adventure he is on his own side of center ice.

Also, you notice over time with Omark that he has a lot of tricks, but he would be predictable in how he made use of them, which I think contributed to his lack of offensive production.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:00 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
what about fernando pisani, its not always the top 6 guys who come through for your team in the clutch playoff season, he was also 28 and never drafted.

also the oilers have said that theyre having a "top 9" 3 scoring line system now, rather then a 2 scoring line "top 6".

heck, look at st. louis. and their fourth line
The difference was that Pisani could play a defensive game which kept him around. His offensive game was just a bonus.

Also 8th rounder

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:11 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

vCash: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I would trade Omark to the Ducks for rights to Shultz and a 3rd or 4th round pick.
A: Schultz is worth considerably more than a 3rd or 4th to the Ducks. Unfortunately, they no longer own his rights, so the point is moot.

B: Scultz is going to be an unrestricted free agent. We wouldn't have to trade anything for him, only convince him to sign. And it wouldn't be a matter of throwing money at him, since there's a maximum we could pay him.

NAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:17 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF View Post
A: Schultz is worth considerably more than a 3rd or 4th to the Ducks. Unfortunately, they no longer own his rights, so the point is moot.

B: Scultz is going to be an unrestricted free agent. We wouldn't have to trade anything for him, only convince him to sign. And it wouldn't be a matter of throwing money at him, since there's a maximum we could pay him.
Why don't the ducks own his rights?

Old
04-04-2012, 01:00 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Why don't the ducks own his rights?
I'm not 100% sure on the legal wording, but IIRC a team has 4 years after the draft to sign a player to an ELC. Those 4 years will be up June 1. If he doesn't sign by then, the Ducks lose his rights and he becomes an unrestricted free agent (group B, I think). Here's a good article on the kid:

http://oilersnation.com/2012/4/3/who-is-justin-schultz

If the Oilers management doesn't go hard at this kid, then they're as dumb as everyone on this board thinks. He's exactly what we're looking for. If he doesn't sign here and signs for some other Canadian club, I'll be pissed. If he signs with a perennial cup contender like Detroit, well, then we were never in the running.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Ranfordrocks

i had a dream last night the capitals traded for him

oilers have tendency to miss manage some prospects

omark,shremp,satan,brodiziak give up on them far to early

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:12 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post

i wouldnt put schremp in the same category as Satan or Broz, but i would put omark and schremp in teh same category

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:16 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i wouldnt put schremp in the same category as Satan or Broz, but i would put omark and schremp in teh same category
Only time will tell. I could see him moving on and having a Ray Whitney or Satan ... uh ... ic career, but it's just as likely he goes back to Europe and clowns those leagues for a decade.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Only time will tell. I could see him moving on and having a Ray Whitney or Satan ... uh ... ic career, but it's just as likely he goes back to Europe and clowns those leagues for a decade.
Get real...Satan and Whitney have big shoes for Omarks tiny feet. After a quick look, Satan had 735 career pts and Whitney is at 1001 career pts and counting, not an impossible achievement but highly unlikely.

Last edited by Tedi: 04-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:28 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post

They also held onto guys like Pouilot, Jacques, Nilsson, Stortini for too long.

At this point I don't even know that you can say we gave up on Schremp too early. First of all you can't just keep a guy in the AHL for years and years anymore. Once we ran out of waiver free time he left, and where did he end up?

People need to realize that you can't exactly keep every prospect for years and years anymore.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Tedi

Quote:

At this point I don't even know that you can say we gave up on Schremp too early. First of all you can't just keep a guy in the AHL for years and years anymore. Once we ran out of waiver free time he left, and where did he end up?

People need to realize that you can't exactly keep every prospect for years and years anymore.
When Schremp was around we were maxed out on contracts.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:36 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Get real...Satan and Whitney have big shoes for Omarks tiny feet.
I guess we'll just have to see about that. I'm not saying it's a lock by any stretch, but on the right team with the right mix of players, who knows. I don't get any kicks out of rooting for others' failure, so I'll continue to root for the underdogs if that's okay by you.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
rockinghockey

I feel that Renney should of given him a legit chance in the top 6 when he was called up. It is not like we were gunning for a playoff run anyway. The kid has skill and to sit him when you have Hall out is B.S. Could of kept Smyth on the 3rd line where he belongs and given Omark a legit chance.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
When Schremp was around we were maxed out on contracts.
I still don't think that translates into giving up on him too early.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:44 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:

Totally true. My only beef here is that it seems to me that the Oilers knew from the get-go this season that Omark was not part of the plans. So why didn't they trade him in the off season when he still had some value? He was coming off a rookie season when he was a PPG player in the AHL and a .5ppg player in the NHL. We could've gotten a second or a comparable defensive prospect. Now what are we going to get? Anything at all would surprise me at this point.

The only way I can't consider hanging onto Omark for this year to be poor asset management would be if they really didn't think re-signing Hemsky was going to happen and they wanted to keep Omark as an understudy. Still doesn't explain the utter gong show that has been this latest call up, though.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Tedi

Quote:
I guess we'll just have to see about that. I'm not saying it's a lock by any stretch, but on the right team with the right mix of players, who knows. I don't get any kicks out of rooting for others' failure, so I'll continue to root for the underdogs if that's okay by you.
You can root all you want but lets be realistic when making comparisons. I edited the post you responded if you care to read it.

Old
04-04-2012, 01:55 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Totally true. My only beef here is that it seems to me that the Oilers knew from the get-go this season that Omark was not part of the plans. So why didn't they trade him in the off season when he still had some value? He was coming off a rookie season when he was a PPG player in the AHL and a .5ppg player in the NHL. We could've gotten a second or a comparable defensive prospect. Now what are we going to get? Anything at all would surprise me at this point.

The only way I can't consider hanging onto Omark for this year to be poor asset management would be if they really didn't think re-signing Hemsky was going to happen and they wanted to keep Omark as an understudy. Still doesn't explain the utter gong show that has been this latest call up, though.
We really don't know that.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
You can root all you want but lets be realistic when making comparisons. I edited the post you responded if you care to read it.
I went back and read your edited response. Fair enough. I doubt Omark will have the kind of longevity and career points totals those guys put up, but I think he can become a 40-50pt guy for a decent number of years if given the chance. I honestly don't think that's totally unreasonable. It's possible I'm deluding myself, though.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
We really don't know that.
Haha. Okay, fine, we might have gotten a late second rounder or a comparable defensive prospect.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:05 PM
Tedi

Quote:

2nd for a 4th...over valued perhaps?