Notices

Time For Wild To Tank? No Thanks, Yeo Says

Old
04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Maybe I should clarify then. I am not mad at my team simply for playing hard.

I am mad at my team for playing hard RIGHT NOW, which in my mind makes it about effort and mindset, which was completely lacking during the collapse.
And I'm saying there's probably more that goes into it. It's not as simple as "they weren't trying hard before, but now they are."

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Are you guys all forgetting that for a good MONTH our top line was...

Wait for it...

Heatley - Brodizak - Johnson ???

What was our SECOND line?

Clutterbuck - Cullen - Powe

For that MONTH, we had ONE top-6 player. ONE.

If you guys didn't think they were trying, you weren't watching the games.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Playing hard, but not playing smart.

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would absolutely love to see you play against competition that is plainly better than you. Seriously, come out to Stillwater on Sunday. Play with my team (who aren't that great) that plays against former D1 players. I would love to critique you for playing not that smart.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Since when do I need to prove I'm not a good hockey player? I know I suck.

Russo:

Quote:
Players changed their roles and never got rediscovered that early season “stick-to-it-ness identity.
Does Russo need to go play against D1 players too to make that claim?

Jarick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I definitely agree with this.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Are you guys all forgetting that for a good MONTH our top line was...

Wait for it...

Heatley - Brodizak - Johnson ???

What was our SECOND line?

Clutterbuck - Cullen - Powe

For that MONTH, we had ONE top-6 player. ONE.

If you guys didn't think they were trying, you weren't watching the games.
And the HBJ line actually had some chemistry and was producing at a good clip too. And I also remember we actually won a few games with that line as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
And I'm saying there's probably more that goes into it. It's not as simple as "they weren't trying hard before, but now they are."
Between winning and losing? Sure, there is more into it than just effort. But in almost all of those losses between December 10th and when we were eliminated I saw a whole lot of not giving a damn on the ice.

Like I said, injuries excuse lack of talent, but nothing excuses lack of effort. The Wild would consistently show up for the first 5 minutes of a game and then fall apart when one single bad thing happened to them, either a goal against or a penalty against or even a good check against them by the other team. That to me screams lack of effort, lack of trying, lack of motivation, lack of mindset, lack of heart, all of which are things this team suddenly has in spades now that we've been eliminated and the pressure to get back on track is finally off.

Avder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Between winning and losing? Sure, there is more into it than just effort. But in almost all of those losses between December 10th and when we were eliminated I saw a whole lot of not giving a damn on the ice.

Like I said, injuries excuse lack of talent, but nothing excuses lack of effort. The Wild would consistently show up for the first 5 minutes of a game and then fall apart when one single bad thing happened to them, either a goal against or a penalty against or even a good check against them by the other team. That to me screams lack of effort, lack of trying, lack of motivation, lack of mindset, lack of heart, all of which are things this team suddenly has in spades now that we've been eliminated and the pressure to get back on track is finally off.
I saw a little, but not a lot. Not enough to get this angry over at least.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
WILDTATE10

Yeo says good teams are not drafting in the top 3 year after year after year... Well we haven't had a top 3 pick since our first year in the league and we just happened to get the best player we've ever had (Gaborik) when we had that top 3 pick

WILDTATE10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
I saw a little, but not a lot. Not enough to get this angry over at least.
I fail to see how the team falling apart each game like a perilous house of cards is only "a little" not giving a damn.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:29 AM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Since when do I need to prove I'm not a good hockey player? I know I suck.

Russo:

Does Russo need to go play against D1 players too to make that claim?
No. My point is, it's easy to critique. It's much harder to go out there and actually do it. I can critique anything from sitting on my couch, being able to see the whole ice and able to form different opinions based on replays. The fact of the matter remains that our talent level simply didn't match up to most teams.

I think our spiral was a combination of a lot of things. First, injuries. we lost a lot of good players to injuries. As a whole our team had to fill holse with lesser players.

Snowball effect - We probably and a few games in a row that we very well coudl have won (I don't remember exactly). As you continue to lose you question yourself and your teammates "What do I/we need to change to win?" You start to pressure yourself more and in turn create more mistakes.

Loss of confidence/drive - Losing gets to everybody. If you play a sport, you're competitive. You lose enough times, you simply stop trying. I don't care who you are or what you do, enough bad things go wrong at some point you just feel like giving up. Remember, these are humans that do experience emotions.

BuddyMcCormick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
And the HBJ line actually had some chemistry and was producing at a good clip too. And I also remember we actually won a few games with that line as well.

Ah, some good ol' revisionist history.

Didn't give an effort in December and into January? Go back and look at some of the GDTs from the time. They played bad hockey with a lack of talent, but in December and into January it sure as hell wasn't a lack of effort. Later on, towards the TDL and into March there was a serious lack of effort, but not at the time period when you're referencing.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:41 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
Huge New Blog from Russo

Yes and no...sure the Wild swung and missed on Pouliot with a high pick.

But look at the Sheppard (#9) pick...before him, Erik Johnson, Jordan Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel, Brassard, Okposo, Mueller. Granted not all are studs, but if the Wild were picking in the top five, they'd have one of EJ, Staal, Toews, Backstrom, Kessel. Do you think maybe that would have been better than Sheppard?
Yeah but with Sheppard the picks after him were Frolik, Bernier, (Tlusty), Grabner, and then Chris Stewart at 18 and Girioux at 22.
Obviously I'm not saying they should've picked Girioux, because a lot of teams passed on him, but when there are 3/4 picks directly after the person you picked who have done much more in the NHL, it doesn't reflect well on the scouting staff.

Same thing with Thelen, Stafford, Dubnyk, and Radulov were picked directly after him, with Zajac, Wolski, Scheinder and Green in the 20s.

The Gillies pick was disappointing, but looking at that draft as a whole, it was pretty weak.

Really this argument goes back and forth and in circles.

Would it have been nice to get more top picks? Yes. Would we have gotten a better player? Assuredly, considering what we got was a whole lot of nothing.

But the previous regime at the VERY least should have been able to get a servicable NHL player in one of 5 1st rounds. When you pick bust after bust I don't care if you're constantly picking in the late 20s, there's no excuse. The fact that we came away with nothing from several 1st rounds in a row makes the absence of a lottery pick seem more dire. Since we missed on them we're a team with very little depth and a few players that can score sometimes. If we at least got something on half of our 1st rounders we could at least have depth, which could've made the injuries to Koivu/Seto/Lats/PMB a little less destructive.

That being said I'm never going to cheer for my team to lose. If they suck and get a good pick, cool. If they win I'm going to enjoy the game and the win and not complain that this is the end of the world and that without this high pick the Wild are doomed to be mediocre forever.

Seriously, some people in this forum, and in life in general, get too emotionally involved in a game, played by other people, for your enjoyment. If you're a Season Ticket Holder I can understand some anger, being that you're paying loads of money each year. But most of us aren't very financially invested in the team, so why get so wrapped up in something to the point of anger? This game is supposed to be an escape from the real world with all the troubles and problems, yet reading this forum i want to go out in to the world to escape the negativity and rage here.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
I fail to see how the team falling apart each game like a perilous house of cards is only "a little" not giving a damn.
Do you think they didn't care that they were falling apart? I don't consider those two things to be one in the same.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:44 AM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8bandarmadillo View Post
You pick one game?

The main parts have been there. It's the minor parts that got swapped in and out.
I see my original response to this brutal red herring and non sequitur was deleted.

You're totally right, one game (which had an almost identical lineup to the 4 games prior and 12 games subsequent) is totally a statistical anomaly vis a vis the lineup.

Absolutely, the same main parts were there, and the missing players were minor ones. I mean, Koivu, Cullen, Schultz, and Spurgeon are just minor cogs that don't make any difference when you compare to that essential core of Ortmeyer, Peters, Powe, and Johnson.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
Snowball effect - We probably and a few games in a row that we very well coudl have won (I don't remember exactly). As you continue to lose you question yourself and your teammates "What do I/we need to change to win?" You start to pressure yourself more and in turn create more mistakes.
The Nashville game, for one.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Do you think they didn't care that they were falling apart? I don't consider those two things to be one in the same.
They obviously did not care enough to listen to Yeo and play his system the moment any of those games went south.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Dee Oh Cee

The thing is, Fletcher does have players to step in if a Koivu goes down - they just weren't ready yet this year.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Antsman41
Quack, Quack, Quack!

This is all the more reason that we are not renewing, after 11 years...

The MN Wild don't know how to change from their mistakes, and we have some how figured out how to fail at everything.

Antsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
They obviously did not care enough to listen to Yeo and play his system the moment any of those games went south.
Disagree.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:33 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

Of course it's no. This shouldn't be even discussed in the locker room. Speuclation of tanking is only fans privilege.

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:44 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Again, revisionist history.

Look at the games you're whining about. Look at what actually happened rather than the fabricated memory you have of the time period.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Russo's blog is why he's one of the best hockey writers in the country. He gets it....that was excellent.

Dee Oh Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Again, revisionist history.

Look at the games you're whining about. Look at what actually happened rather than the fabricated memory you have of the time period.
I have been complaining about the team playing like it does not care since late December.

Old
04-03-2012, 01:06 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
I have been complaining about the team playing like it does not care since late December.
Grabbing one at random:

12/28/11

Glancing through others, it was nothing but positivity on a couple nights surrounding that one. There were complaints in the Calgary thread (12/20) but they were more regarding outcome than effort. There were some "bag skate" demands starting into January.

None of the concerns around the time were bordering on "they don't care" though. There were concerns about the effort level, but nothing about a lack of concern for the team's performance. All of it was about "getting over this injury hump." Leading into the TDL it wasn't even so much about effort level until right up before the deadline.