HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Panel discussion on TSN!!

Old
04-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Leafsman

vCash: 500
Best Panel discussion on TSN!!

I was just watching this again and it hits the nail right on the head!!! It explains everything PERFECTLY I feel and just wanted to share it with anyone who may have missed it or forgotten about it! There's so many articles lately that are just jumping all over the bandwagon and telling us what we want to hear. This was logical, rational and analytical and really hit home!

http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip648656#clip648656

I really like what Ward was saying about Carlyle and his thoughts on firing Wilson and bringing in Carlyle! Was a great time to bring him in and let people get used to his system!

Also really like what Crawford was saying about him trying to do to much like Carlyle and Carlyle has likely learned from that!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
JackJ

Ward is bang on.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Edgeworth*

Could easily see Burke paying guys like Penner, Gaustad and Moen to come here purely for their size or playstyle. But Dreger was right, big offseason for the Leafs. Burke needs to dismantle his forward corp and rebuild it.

Gunning hard for a guy like Vokoun should also be a priority. If you look at our forward line-up for next season it's pretty abysmal.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabovski - MacArthur
Lombardi - Connolly - Armstrong
Brown - Steckel - Rosehill

Bozak needs to be bumped and the entire third line needs to be replaced. A cheap center option must also be considered, maybe a guy like Daymond Langkow who can still put up points and has been through the playoffs through and through with Calgary and might notch more postseason expereince with Phoenix. Arnott also could be a target with his big body, veteran leadership, and playoff experience. Moen should be a priority as he would add playoff expereince, is familiar with Carlyle's system, and can be a good secondary player. LW I'd take a flyer on a guy like Penner. If he works out (Probably a 40/60 chance) you get a very big body who can crash and bang in a smaller conference that is slower then the West and maybe Penner notches 20g. If he doesn't, you bury him and pull up Kadri, Mueller or Ashton. But there needs to be serious consideration into how Burke builds this team. Moen could push MacArthur to the third line or maybe even make him expendable. Arnott, Langkow could be targets for their experience while Gaustad and Penner could be nabbed for their size. Depending on how the Marlies do I'd like to see Ashton or Kadri up with the club but if that's the case who do you move? Maybe if Lombardi is healthy you could run Kadri - Lombardi - Kessel for a very fast line that gets the puck to snipers.

Ideally I'd like Burke to dos omething like:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Penner - Arnott - Moen

I'd also like to trade Lupul and see if we can upgrade on Bozak but those are minority opinions.

Last edited by Edgeworth*: 04-03-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Edgeworth* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:08 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Aaron Ward is awesome. Great on the panel every time. Agree with pretty much everything he says.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:11 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

This is going to be a fun offseason

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:12 AM
Edgeworth*

If Burke isn't active this offseason then Toronto will be screwed. Would like to see Komi, Lombo, Connolly, and Armstrong all go. Don't think you can move Liles at this point.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Crazy Vaclav
Put it in H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgeworth View Post
Could easily see Burke paying guys like Penner, Gaustad and Moen to come here purely for their size or playstyle. But Dreger was right, big offseason for the Leafs. Burke needs to dismantle his forward corp and rebuild it.

Gunning hard for a guy like Vokoun should also be a priority. If you look at our forward line-up for next season it's pretty abysmal.

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Lombardi - Connolly - Armstrong

Bozak needs to be bumped and the entire third line needs to be replaced. A cheap center option must also be considered, maybe a guy like Daymond Langkow who can still put up points and has been through the playoffs through and through with Calgary and might notch more postseason expereince with Phoenix. Arnott also could be a target with his big body, veteran leadership, and playoff experience. Moen should be a priority as he would add playoff expereince, is familiar with Carlyle's system, and can be a good secondary player. LW I'd take a flyer on a guy like Penner. If he works out (Probably a 40/60 chance) you get a very big body who can crash and bang in a smaller conference that is slower then the West and maybe Penner notches 20g. If he doesn't, you bury him and pull up Kadri, Mueller or Ashton. But there needs to be serious consideration into how Burke builds this team. Moen could push MacArthur to the third line or maybe even make him expendable. Arnott, Langkow could be targets for their experience while Gaustad and Penner could be nabbed for their size. Depending on how the Marlies do I'd like to see Ashton or Kadri up with the club but if that's the case who do you move? Maybe if Lombardi is healthy you could run Kadri - Lombardi - Kessel for a very fast line that gets the puck to snipers.

Ideally I'd like Burke to dos omething like:

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Penner - Arnott - Moen

I'd also like to trade Lupul and see if we can upgrade on Bozak but those are minority opinions.
If that is our realistic ideal lineup then god help us all

Crazy Vaclav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
Quote:
Don't think you can move Liles at this point.
No reason to, Liles is a fine player signed to a good contract.

Leafidelity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Leafsman

I also agree with Dreger's comment about

Carlyle is not the right coach for THIS team but he is the right coach.

I think it's an imprtant factor that the GM and Coach be on the same page! I think there has been two different views on this team and both sides trying to implement their strategy while also taking peices of the other to appease each other. Now everyoneis on the same page and liek they said excuses are wearing thin!

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:21 AM
The Iceman

Ward said timing of the Wilson firing was bang on. WRONG! I think Burke failed when he extended Wilson. From that point on "The wheels fell off that 18 wheel truck"

Part of the badge of honor for having "The youngest" roster in the NHL is the lack of leadership guys.
Add 2-3 vets, take out two-three younger guys and we are back up in the lower middle of the pack for age.

Who cares if we are the youngest roster as Burke likes to boast?
Youngest core is what I would be more impressed with.

Burke will change the roster and get more mature.
Some of the guys hired to do that job failed.
Armstrong, MacArthur IMO are 2 candidates for change.
Need more from some of the younger guys or they need to move on.
Frattin is the guy for me here.
If you do not have a CLEARLY defined roll as a forward you will be in trouble IMO.
You must either check, score, fight, or kill penalties or SEE YA!!!
No more with the players that are "OK" checkers that can score a little.
Do something at a high level and that is your job next season!

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Edgeworth*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebderp View Post
If that is our realistic ideal lineup then god help us all
oh im sorry one sec

PARISE - LUPUL [HE PLAYUD CENTER IN JUNIOR SO THIS CAN HAPPEN] - KESSEL
KULEMIN - ZAJAC [TRADE KADRI + 2013 1st] - MOEN
SEMIN [SIGNED TO 2.8M CONTRACT] - GAUSTAD - PRUST
BROWN - BOZAK - ARMSTRONG

am I a Leaf fan yet?

That line-up is plausible and gives the Leafs size and veteran experience. Personally I think we need that.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
If Burke isn't active this offseason then Toronto will be screwed. Would like to see Komi, Lombo, Connolly, and Armstrong all go. Don't think you can move Liles at this point.
Leafs have the 3rd most salary cap committed to next year 2012-13 with 19 players and $58.8 mil. That doesn't include RFAs Kulemin, Frattin, Fransson etc in that total needing new deals.

In order for Burke to make significant changes he must first clear out players and contracts in order to allow himself the opportunity to rebuild this team.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:55 AM
leafsfuture

To what Dreger was saying.... I would have fired Wilson the game after the Montreal 5-0 whooping. After that Montreal game when we lost on Sundin night, Wilson had a "closed doors meeting" with the team. They responded with a 5-1 loss to Calgary.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:57 AM
dubey
So hot right now

Feh

Keep drinkg the borke kool-aid Leafs fans

/sarcasm

dubey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:57 AM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
oh im sorry one sec

am I a Leaf fan yet?

That line-up is plausible and gives the Leafs size and veteran experience. Personally I think we need that.
No, but why would we make the same mistake we made all over again? Kadri WILL be on the roster next year, because he's ready, and after another off-season, even moreso.

ErnieLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Rinzler

Great panel discussion. I agree with Aaron Ward about one thing. The team Carlyle has is the wrong team for his style. I've been saying all along, the change of the coach that late was achieve only one thing: To weed out who will fit into his style and who won't.

It should be a very interesting off-season. The Leafs organization is about to enter a strange transition period. The prospects in the Marlies and Junior clearly are in the image of Burke/Carlyle while the Leafs are more of a kludgey of players who are more suited towards Ron Wilson's style. I suspect some big changes might be coming.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:01 AM
dierks

Quote:
oh im sorry one sec

am I a Leaf fan yet?

1. Parise likely won't sign here
2. The Zajac trade is horrible.. don't trade first round picks before you know where you're picking
3. Burke would never sign Semin, Semin wouldn't sign for 2.8 million
4. Where's Grabovski?

dierks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:03 AM
calcal798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
Leafs have the 3rd most salary cap committed to next year 2012-13 with 19 players and $58.8 mil. That doesn't include RFAs Kulemin, Frattin, Fransson etc in that total needing new deals.

In order for Burke to make significant changes he must first clear out players and contracts in order to allow himself the opportunity to rebuild this team.
Connolly, Mac and Army are all guys that I could see teams wanting to pick up for a draft pick. Lombardi is the one I doubt would have much value, but I also want to see what he can do after a full off-season to prepare, he might be able to return to his old form. Burke can move some salary if he really wants too. Hopefully he gets some trades lined up for the draft to shed some of those salaries.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Quote:

Also top 3 most pro-contracts, when including Kulie and Fransson.

A lot needs to be shipped out to make room for things coming in.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:04 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

so who are the bodies moved out?

we can rule out kessel, lupul, grabo, phaneuf, and gardiner being moved right?

kulemin is trade bait for sure, imo.
macarthur is almost as good as gone.
bozak i can see going.
franson will probably be gone.
lombardi should go but he's unmoveable.
gunnarsson could be moved because I think the return he'll get will be pretty high.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
dierks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
so who are the bodies moved out?

we can rule out kessel, lupul, grabo, phaneuf, and gardiner being moved right?

kulemin is trade bait for sure, imo.
macarthur is almost as good as gone.
bozak i can see going.
franson will probably be gone.
lombardi should go but he's unmoveable.
gunnarsson could be moved because I think the return he'll get will be pretty high.
Do you think now is the best time to trade Kulemin? Maybe this season is a blessing in disguise.. Burke should be able to sign him for a bit less then if he was coming off another 30 goal year.. you know what he's capable of,, he's very good defensively,, chemistry with Grabo.. if Burke can sign him for 2.5-3.5 million over a few years it could out to be a huge bargain.

I just don't see much trade value because he's had an off year and an RFA..or at least not enough value to give up on him yet.

dierks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:15 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Lombardi should be bought out or something.. Ugh. He doesn't hit, he doesn't score and he can't clear the puck. First thing Burke should do is move him and right away let Kadri know that's his roster spot.

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:19 AM
diceman934

Quote:

This is the issue.....

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
This is the issue.....
I don't think it's a huge issue, a lot of money is movable this off season or can be sent to the minors. Additionally the cap will be going up. Cap space is not an issue for this team.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:25 AM
mooseOAK*

Next year's contract situation gets repeated so often in here it is like someone thinks that Burke doesn't know.

Until the next CBA is signed no one really knows what is going on and what needs to be done.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote