HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

Chris Bourque

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2004, 04:13 PM
  #1
SPORTSMANIAC
Registered User
 
SPORTSMANIAC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lewiston, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 2,588
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SPORTSMANIAC
Chris Bourque

I was watching something on Ray's career on NESN (New England Sports Network) and a question what about your future? Ray said watch my two sons careers go on or something like that. He hopes Chris can make it to the World Juniors. I know Ray is from Canada but I didn't know if Chris was born in the USA or Canada. Thanks in advance.

SPORTSMANIAC is offline  
Old
11-25-2004, 08:03 PM
  #2
johnny cool
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to johnny cool
Chris was born in the Boston area, so I'd assume he'd play for the US

johnny cool is offline  
Old
11-25-2004, 11:07 PM
  #3
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
But his father should know better and have him trying out for team Canada,yet another one............god it's painful.

espo* is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 12:55 AM
  #4
Postman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
But his father should know better and have him trying out for team Canada,yet another one............god it's painful.
Chris was born and raised in the U.S.... he's American, plain and simple. My mother is not from the U.S., does that mean I should play for the country she's from or the country I'M from if I were to play in an international event in whatever sport?

Postman is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 11:04 AM
  #5
kingpest19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 10,991
vCash: 500
If ray still has canadian citizenship then chris does too. theoretically chris could play for either canada or the us a la hull and deadmarsh

kingpest19 is online now  
Old
11-26-2004, 11:08 AM
  #6
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
Chris was born and raised in the U.S.... he's American, plain and simple. My mother is not from the U.S., does that mean I should play for the country she's from or the country I'M from if I were to play in an international event in whatever sport?
Think he got his hockey playing talent from his mother?The kids Canadian as maple syrup and a winter toque.Ray should be moving back to his home and making sure his kids play for us,it gets ridiculous sometimes.I bet any money you'd feel differently about this if the shoe were on the other foot but of course you never have to worry about that.The United States is capable of producing it's own players would'nt you say?Just because he's born and raised there does'nt mean squat to me,he's Ray Bourque's kid and that makes him Canadian,Ray should know better.I would'nt want 15 baseball teams up here and then have all the ex-baseball players kids playing for Canada,i want us to produce our own players,not steal mickey mantle junior and tons of others.The way our players behave by not coming home yet they are who they are because they grew up here...it's shameful.

espo* is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 12:03 PM
  #7
TMHUNH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 3,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19
If ray still has canadian citizenship then chris does too. theoretically chris could play for either canada or the us a la hull and deadmarsh
Correct.

But in this case, Chris will be representing the USA, as he did in the U.S. U-17 tourny a couple summers ago. He was also invited to join the USNTDP, but declined, and was invited to the WJC evalutation camp this past summer.

So...no Canada for Chris.

TMHUNH is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 10:33 PM
  #8
Postman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Think he got his hockey playing talent from his mother?The kids Canadian as maple syrup and a winter toque.
Actually, no. His heritage is Canadian/American and he probably feels some love/loyalty to Canada, but the fact is, he's born and raised in the U.S., and has played for the U.S. already. He's got dual citizenship, but he obviously considers himself American, just like Zach Parise does, no matter what some poster on the internet says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Ray should be moving back to his home and making sure his kids play for us,it gets ridiculous sometimes.I bet any money you'd feel differently about this if the shoe were on the other foot but of course you never have to worry about that.
How come you aren't complaining about O'Sullivan, and his abusive Canadian dad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
The United States is capable of producing it's own players would'nt you say?Just because he's born and raised there does'nt mean squat to me
It may not mean squat to you, but obviously it means something to him. That's all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
The way our players behave by not coming home yet they are who they are because they grew up here...it's shameful.
You can complain about Deadmarsh and Hull since they were actually born and raised in Canada, but guys like Chris Bourque and Zach Parise were born and raised in the U.S., not Canada. Would you be complaining about them if their parents weren't big time Canadian hockey players, rather regular Joe Canadians? I don't think so.

Postman is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 10:44 PM
  #9
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
first of many
 
SpinTheBlackCircle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 36,276
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
he's born and raised there
That's all there is to it.

SpinTheBlackCircle is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 11:30 PM
  #10
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
Actually, no. His heritage is Canadian/American and he probably feels some love/loyalty to Canada, but the fact is, he's born and raised in the U.S., and has played for the U.S. already. He's got dual citizenship, but he obviously considers himself American, just like Zach Parise does, no matter what some poster on the internet says.

How come you aren't complaining about O'Sullivan, and his abusive Canadian dad?

It may not mean squat to you, but obviously it means something to him. That's all that matters.

You can complain about Deadmarsh and Hull since they were actually born and raised in Canada, but guys like Chris Bourque and Zach Parise were born and raised in the U.S., not Canada. Would you be complaining about them if their parents weren't big time Canadian hockey players, rather regular Joe Canadians? I don't think so.
It still does'nt mean squat to me and whether it means anything to Chris does'nt faze me much either because he should'nt be in that position to begin with.His old man should have come back here to live so i'm not surprised Chris sees himself as American,it's what you'd expect,.Ray forgot who and what he is and that's a shame.I don't think putting o' sullivan's dad into the picture here makes much sense,what was your point?There are no abusive american dads?


Sure,i'd love to have O' Sullivan on the team also,he's Canadian too after all so come aboard Patty, obviously his dad's no better to me so .......i'd also liked to have had Zach Parise,phillip Sauve,Brett hull,Adam deadmarsh and a host of others we can both name but why bother,we both know the score here don't we?If they were regular Joe Canadian i'd still be bothered as i assume you would be if the shoe was on the other foot,i assume you are as patriotic as me and would think there should be some loyalty to your home country,at least by your posts i suspect that as you seem to be a fairly big booster of U.S hockey.

Hey,i know you don't have a problem with this because you get so many good players from it,what's to complain about?to lose them would be to have your program not be as strong as it is but if you see it from my point then you realise that it is dissapointing and why i see having some piece of paper that says you are a citizen of a country does'nt necessarily make it so.But you are right that it is not Chris Bourque's failing or Zach Parise's or the host of others because their position is understandable,it's their fathers position that isn't.Here those guys have the life they have today because they grew up in a country that fostored in them the love of the game and provided the infrastructure for them to excel in it but they just abandon home....it's sad and if you can't turn that around and put yourselves in our shoes then what can i say but don't give me the "he's American plain and simple' stuff because they are'nt.

But....in the spirit of free trade do you think we could even this process up and give us shaquille o'neal's and Kobe Bryant's and etcetcetc kids so we can get our basketball program going?We'll call it square and you'll never hear from me again about this if you can manage to swing it.Thanks...an olympic gold medal in basketball someday for Canada,who would've thought that was possible?It'd be so nice.Just give us your guys and we'll pull it off someday.


Last edited by espo*: 11-26-2004 at 11:35 PM.
espo* is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 12:08 AM
  #11
Postman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
I don't think putting o' sullivan's dad into the picture here makes much sense,what was your point?There are no abusive american dads?
My point was, O'Sullivan is another player with one Canadian/one American parent. But I figured since his father was a piece of trash, rather than Ray Bourque, you may not have the same view on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Sure,i'd love to have O' Sullivan on the team also,he's Canadian too after all so come aboard Patty,.
O'Sullivan was born in Canada while on vacation, but in an article at around the time of his draft, I remember him saying he regretted that fact, and his friends in school always made fun of him for it. He was raised in the U.S. and considers himself 100% American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
obviously his dad's no better to me so .......i'd also liked to have had Zach Parise,phillip Sauve,Brett hull,Adam deadmarsh and a host of others we can both name but why bother,we both know the score here don't we?If they were regular Joe Canadian i'd still be bothered as i assume you would be if the shoe was on the other foot,i assume you are as patriotic as me and would think there should be some loyalty to your home country,at least by your posts i suspect that as you seem to be a fairly big booster of U.S hockey.
Phillip Sauve I believe considers himself Canadian, so I have no problem if he were to play for Team Canada. That's HIS choice, NOT mine, and not yours. That's the point I'm trying to get across.

Postman is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 01:32 AM
  #12
BuppY
Registered User
 
BuppY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,174
vCash: 500
I fon't think he would make Team Canada for WJC!!!

BuppY is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 03:52 AM
  #13
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 31,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Think he got his hockey playing talent from his mother?The kids Canadian as maple syrup and a winter toque.Ray should be moving back to his home and making sure his kids play for us,it gets ridiculous sometimes.I bet any money you'd feel differently about this if the shoe were on the other foot but of course you never have to worry about that.The United States is capable of producing it's own players would'nt you say?Just because he's born and raised there does'nt mean squat to me,he's Ray Bourque's kid and that makes him Canadian,Ray should know better.I would'nt want 15 baseball teams up here and then have all the ex-baseball players kids playing for Canada,i want us to produce our own players,not steal mickey mantle junior and tons of others.The way our players behave by not coming home yet they are who they are because they grew up here...it's shameful.
So are you going to kick Owen Nolan, Robin Regher and Jarome Iginla off Team Canada?

Hasbro is online now  
Old
11-27-2004, 12:45 PM
  #14
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
So are you going to kick Owen Nolan, Robin Regher and Jarome Iginla off Team Canada?
why on earth would i do that?all those guys learned the game and more importantly learned to love the game because they grew up in Canada,they are as Canadian as me,think any one of them would be where they are(making huge money as hockey players) if they grew up in brazil,Northren Ireland or Nigeria?Yeah right!!!They are where they are because they grew up in Canada and became hockey players,they are as Canadian as anyone.Zach Parise does'nt play hockey because he grew up in the States,he plays hockey because his dad was a Canadian hockey player and his kid is Canadian of course.Bad examples you gave as they don't prove your point or disprove my point at all.Why would i kick Canadian kids like Owen off the team?They are Canadian after all!!they should be playing for us.Yeah...Robin learned to love the game and learned how to play in those vaunted Rio De Janerian hockey schools,lol.

espo* is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 01:03 PM
  #15
Son of Rocky Bay
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
So are you going to kick Owen Nolan, Robin Regher and Jarome Iginla off Team Canada?

Jarome Iginla's birth place is listed as Edmonton, Alberta and I don't think Robyn, Owen or any member of their families played much hockey in Brazil or Belfast. Why would we give them the boot? They can thank the Canadian system for their hockey success. As can Zach Parise, Brett Hull, Chris Bourque and even O'Sullivan. Without there dads they might be injoying football, baseball or extreme cycling careers.

 
Old
11-27-2004, 01:18 PM
  #16
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 31,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
why on earth would i do that?all those guys learned the game and more importantly learned to love the game because they grew up in Canada,they are as Canadian as me,think any one of them would be where they are(making huge money as hockey players) if they grew up in brazil,Northren Ireland or Nigeria?Yeah right!!!They are where they are because they grew up in Canada and became hockey players,they are as Canadian as anyone.Zach Parise does'nt play hockey because he grew up in the States,he plays hockey because his dad was a Canadian hockey player and his kid is Canadian of course.Bad examples you gave as they don't prove your point or disprove my point at all.Why would i kick Canadian kids like Owen off the team?They are Canadian after all!!they should be playing for us.Yeah...Robin learned to love the game and learned how to play in those vaunted Rio De Janerian hockey schools,lol.
While Chris bourque did the same in the US. Ray was admimant he not go into major junior and rather get a college education, so his father is a proponent of Chris staying in the American system.

I suppose everyone was pulling their hair out over Peter Stastny playing for Canada.

Hasbro is online now  
Old
11-27-2004, 01:58 PM
  #17
Postman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Rocky Bay
Jarome Iginla's birth place is listed as Edmonton, Alberta and I don't think Robyn, Owen or any member of their families played much hockey in Brazil or Belfast. Why would we give them the boot? They can thank the Canadian system for their hockey success. As can Zach Parise, Brett Hull, Chris Bourque and even O'Sullivan. Without there dads they might be injoying football, baseball or extreme cycling careers.
Parise, Bourque, and O'Sullivan all grew up playing in the US system. Only O'Sullivan has gone the major junior route, but he played all his midget/peewee in the U.S., as well as the USNTDP.

So there's a bit of a double standard there just because their fathers are Canadian? Give me a break. I realize their Canadian parents had influence on them getting into hockey, and they probably taught them quite a bit, but that doesn't all of the sudden mean they should play for Canada.

If Mike Modano had a Canadian neighbor that got him into hockey as a kid, was like his uncle growing up, and taught him everything he knew about hockey... would that mean Modano should play for Canada too?

Get over it, god damn.

Postman is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 03:30 PM
  #18
Son of Rocky Bay
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
Parise, Bourque, and O'Sullivan all grew up playing in the US system. Only O'Sullivan has gone the major junior route, but he played all his midget/peewee in the U.S., as well as the USNTDP.

So there's a bit of a double standard there just because their fathers are Canadian? Give me a break. I realize their Canadian parents had influence on them getting into hockey, and they probably taught them quite a bit, but that doesn't all of the sudden mean they should play for Canada.

If Mike Modano had a Canadian neighbor that got him into hockey as a kid, was like his uncle growing up, and taught him everything he knew about hockey... would that mean Modano should play for Canada too?

Get over it, god damn.
It doesn't mater where they grew up or played the game. Their opportunities where created years before when passion and skill was injected into their fathers. Ray Bourque wouldn't be Ray Bourque if he was not canadian. Modano on the other hand became a star only by watching great canadian players. He now has the chance to produce ligit US stars like himself.

 
Old
11-27-2004, 03:37 PM
  #19
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
Parise, Bourque, and O'Sullivan all grew up playing in the US system. Only O'Sullivan has gone the major junior route, but he played all his midget/peewee in the U.S., as well as the USNTDP.

So there's a bit of a double standard there just because their fathers are Canadian? Give me a break. I realize their Canadian parents had influence on them getting into hockey, and they probably taught them quite a bit, but that doesn't all of the sudden mean they should play for Canada.

If Mike Modano had a Canadian neighbor that got him into hockey as a kid, was like his uncle growing up, and taught him everything he knew about hockey... would that mean Modano should play for Canada too?

Get over it, god damn.
Oh yeah,easy for you to say get over it,we are'nt stealing your hockey players after all.A Canadian neighbor?Do you think i would expect Mike Modano to play for Canada because he learned the game from a Canadian neighbor?Of course i would'nt and why? because he's American!!I don't care who he learned the game from,he's American plain and simple so he plays for them of course.I would'nt be so ridiculous to demand modano play for us in that scenario,if i was that unreasonable i would be expecting all American layers with talent to play for Canada since Americans learned the game from Canadians(think they went to Trinidad to study hockey tapes,systems and techniques?where do you think they learned to play?)Now,guys like Zach Parise are a different story,i expect their dads to come home and raise them as Canadian hockey players,that's the least they can do i would say,why is that so hard to fathom for you?

Keep and develop your own players,we neither want nor need them,we just want our own,what's hard to understand about that?

Now,for the last time........STOP POACHING OUR PLAYERS AND PASSING THEM OFF AS YOUR OWN,NO-ONES FOOLED (except you of course)

As for playing minor hockey in the U.S system,who cares?they are the sons of ex-Canadian players,you could put them in France's system and they'd excel for God's sake.The U.S minor Hockey system isn't the reason the are as good as they are,it's because of who they are and they are our's dammit!!!They don't need Herb Brooks to teach them how to play hockey,their dad's can do that any day of the week.Geeez......

espo* is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 04:04 PM
  #20
Postman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 4,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Postman Send a message via MSN to Postman
You two are flat-out ridiculous. I'm not going to even bother anymore, it's like trying to teach a wall to speak Japanese.

Postman is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 07:00 PM
  #21
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,233
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Rocky Bay
It doesn't mater where they grew up or played the game. Their opportunities where created years before when passion and skill was injected into their fathers. Ray Bourque wouldn't be Ray Bourque if he was not canadian. Modano on the other hand became a star only by watching great canadian players. He now has the chance to produce ligit US stars like himself.
Say what???

__________________
1995, 2000, 2003..........
Ronnie Bass is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 11:28 AM
  #22
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Say what?

espo* is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 11:34 AM
  #23
espo*
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 4,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman
You two are flat-out ridiculous. I'm not going to even bother anymore, it's like trying to teach a wall to speak Japanese.
Well at least you tried, i admire your attempt.Eventhough i still don't agree with U.S hockey's policy on this matter it's good to see you in there trying to back them up.I just think they should concentrate on producing their own players instead of relying on subsidizing their program but at this point they still have to i guess,U.S hockey still does'nt have the depth but it's getting there .Your victories would feel a lot more real and you could enjoy them more i think.It must take the edge of them for you,it would for me if it was the other way around.

espo* is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 01:54 PM
  #24
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside
 
Ronnie Bass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Jersey
Country: Ireland
Posts: 20,233
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Say what?
Yeah that's clever......bravo.

Ronnie Bass is offline  
Old
11-28-2004, 04:58 PM
  #25
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 31,039
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops
Well at least you tried, i admire your attempt.Eventhough i still don't agree with U.S hockey's policy on this matter it's good to see you in there trying to back them up.I just think they should concentrate on producing their own players instead of relying on subsidizing their program but at this point they still have to i guess,U.S hockey still does'nt have the depth but it's getting there .Your victories would feel a lot more real and you could enjoy them more i think.It must take the edge of them for you,it would for me if it was the other way around.
The Gold Medal Junior team was all US born.

I don't know where we get off thinking we should be able to form a team of our native players.

Considering O'Sullivan's link to Canada is his abusive father, he gets a pass.

Hasbro is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.