HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 80: Blue Jackets @ Coyotes 7PM|4-2-2012|(Do or die part III)

Old
04-04-2012, 02:43 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

vCash: 500
Also worth mentioning Smitty is at 155 consecutive saves right now. Not sure what the record is, but that's longer than Boucher's streak of 146 during his 5 shutouts.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:41 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Also worth mentioning Smitty is at 155 consecutive saves right now. Not sure what the record is, but that's longer than Boucher's streak of 146 during his 5 shutouts.
Jeez.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Tom Polakis
W-L-L-W-L-L

Quote:
I've tried various Google searches, and can't located a site that gives the NHL record for consecutive saves. I wonder why this is so difficult to find.

Tom Polakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:55 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I have not watched or listened to the game so I apologize on advance for this but.... Did we really conceded about 55 shots in a must win game at home against the worst team in the league... What happened?

ParisSaintGermain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Polakis View Post
I've tried various Google searches, and can't located a site that gives the NHL record for consecutive saves. I wonder why this is so difficult to find.
I tried also with no luck. Boucher holds the "modern day" record for shutout streak time but couldn't find shot counts for other shutout streaks.

I started up a thread in the history of hockey forum to see if anyone might know where those figures are readily available.

Old
04-04-2012, 04:57 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisSaintGermain View Post
I have not watched or listened to the game so I apologize on advance for this but.... Did we really conceded about 55 shots in a must win game at home against the worst team in the league... What happened?
We had spurts of offense, but we just couldn't control the puck regularly. I remember a time in the game there was about 3-4 shifts where we were in the Blue Jackets end of the ice, but other than that, the ice was just tilted.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:59 PM
XX
Lots of Try

Quote:
They weren't quality chances. Seemed like the D have been working on getting out of the way and letting Smith stop the easy ones. Remember the goal off of OEL's stick? There were some sick point blank stops but that's nothing new for Smitty.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:00 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
We had spurts of offense, but we just couldn't control the puck regularly. I remember a time in the game there was about 3-4 shifts where we were in the Blue Jackets end of the ice, but other than that, the ice was just tilted.
To give some credit to the Yotes, there were a couple flurries with multiple scoring opportunities shortly after they made the game 2-0. Would not have been surprised if the Yotes had scored another goal or two then.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:07 PM
ParisSaintGermain

I see, thanks guys for breaking it down to me. Not that much to worry about then, just one of those games.

ParisSaintGermain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
I see, thanks guys for breaking it down to me. Not that much to worry about then, just one of those games.
I dunno -- when you take the last two games and look at them together, I think there is clearly room to be concerned. The best way to keep the other team from getting 15 or more shots a period is to keep some possession in your own end. We were giving up the puck way too easily. Both goals the the Yotes scored were essentially on breakouts -- as many of their recent goals have been. I can think of maybe one or two times when they were able to keep the cycle going for longer than 20 seconds. There were maybe 3 true scoring opportunities in the last 30 minutes of the game. The Yotes got a little pressure late in the second half and Doan had a near empty net on a wrap around in the third.

If time of possession were a stat in hockey, the numbers from last night would be crushing. And that's really, in the end, where everything starts. If we can't get sustained time in the other team's zone, there is going to be an imbalance in scoring chances and penalties, as there was last night.

That game easily could have been 4 or 5 to 2. Perhaps most disappointing is how poorly the Yotes played what is supposed to be their trademark -- clogging the neutral zone when playing with a lead. I can understand the shot imbalance in the first period -- the Yotes were trying to score and it had to be a bit end to end. After they got up 2-0, though, they started just playing end -- this is, their own. Not counting the penalty with a few second left, they gave up 4 penalties (one that negated our only power play of the game) and were outshot something like 30 to 9, approximately. The ease with which Columbus gained our zone and the space they found with only one pass was not good.

I thought our guys looked exhausted the last two nights -- Hanzal and Yandle in particular. There were a couple of pucks that Yandle clearly could have gotten to in the defensive zone to clear, but he just didn't have the legs.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
PhxYotes85

I've read somewhere last night the save record was 53 saves in 2008 by some goalie forgot his name. So from the looks of it Smith now holds the record for most saves ever with 54.

PhxYotes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:18 PM
cbjgirl
Just thinking

I was driving home from work today when the local (Columbus) sports radio station had the CBJ coach on. He said that the team focuses more on scoring chances than shots on goal. The number the team came up with was in the low 30s in scoring chances. He said that usually that is more like 15-17 per game.

Smith had an excellent game. Best of luck moving forward.

cbjgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:29 PM
zz

Quote:
What happened is straight forward - our goalie has balls of steel under pressure and bailed us out. Yet again.

I'm excited about the playoff race, but honestly, looking at the past 20 games or so, if we make it to the second season I'm afraid that's going to be one embarrassing series.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:56 AM
BUX7PHX

Quote:
Eh, I would not say that.

We have struggled in some areas, and we have been very sluggish early in games. We have some games where we have looked out of sync, and some of that is getting regulars back in the lineup. In the past 3 weeks, we have had Aucoin, Pyatt, Vrbata, and Chipchura return to the lineup. There are some lines that haven't returned to form yet, or need different pieces together...

BUX7PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:58 AM
Sindiggy
Go Desert Dogs

Our puck possession is atrocious...and if it isn't fixed and unless Smitty plans on stealing a point in the final two games we are in trouble.

We need a full 60-minute game, the likes we haven't seen since the early stretch in January. In late January is where we began to let Mike stand on his head and get a win even though we didn't deserve it. Time for Tipp to right the ship and get us back on track.

Sindiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Sciamachy
Formerly Sceva Sct

Quote:
From Vest's article:

http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=626134

Quote:
• Coyotes goalie Mike Smith will enter Friday’s game seeking his fourth consecutive shutout. Smith has made 155 saves since last allowing a goal; according to The Elias Sports Bureau, that’s an NHL high since saves were first kept in 1976-77.

Sciamachy is offline   Reply With Quote