HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Simple blade choice question (Pick 1 of 2)

Old
04-02-2012, 01:27 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

vCash: 500
Simple blade choice question (Pick 1 of 2)

I shoot primarily snapshots, like to throw beautiful flat saucer passes with good spin and take the occasional one-timer.

Sakic/Backstrom

or

Warrior Gionta.

FWIW, I like a higher lie, and I know the Gionta runs a little low (4 in Warrior talk, 5 in everyone elses talk). Never played with a toe curve, but it intrigues me. I like the Sakic style a ton, and I don't know if I want to venture outside my comfort zone and make another expensive mistake.

Baggy Spandex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Sakic.

Gionta is too closed if you shoot well with the Sakic and it's a fairly flatter rocker and lower lie that won't work if you like the 5.5+ of a Sakic.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

That's what I'm starting to lean towards again. FWIW, I've switched to Bauer from Easton, so I assume the Backstrom is most similar? I really want a lie as high as I can get with that style curve.

The Gionta's toe-curve intrigued me because I've never tried one, being that they're limited in the retail market.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The Gionta looks like a P88, slightly lower lie, slightly more toe. Pretty neutral face, fairly flat rocker. Would be nice for people who like the Forsberg but want a little more toe curve.

Now if it were a Hossa, Kovalchuk, or Ovy pro, that'd be a different story...open toe curves with higher lies.

I haven't used an Easton Sakic in forever, but my main stick all year was a P92, alternating between that and Warrior/TPS/Harrow Sakic clones. I liked the Bauer most because it was slightly more open than the rest (I mean SLIGHTLY) and lightest weight so my shot was better.

I had been tempted to try an Ovy pro clone to get a more open Sakic but man it's just too freaky looking in person. Maybe someday I can find the new Bauer P08 which is not quite as big/open.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

I actually went from Sakic curves to a One100 with a P88 to try something closed/mellow. I've come to the conclusion that the more aggressive curve is more fitting for me. I just don't want to stay in the box if there's something even better out there that I'm missing out on, if you know what I mean.

Plus, even though Bauer rates the P88 as a 6 lie, it sure plays like a 5. Maybe it's the amount of rocker?

Old
04-02-2012, 02:26 PM
thedonger

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baggy Spandex View Post
I actually went from Sakic curves to a One100 with a P88 to try something closed/mellow. I've come to the conclusion that the more aggressive curve is more fitting for me. I just don't want to stay in the box if there's something even better out there that I'm missing out on, if you know what I mean.

Plus, even though Bauer rates the P88 as a 6 lie, it sure plays like a 5. Maybe it's the amount of rocker?
Another one to possibly consider since you're going to Bauer is the toews/p14. Plays kinda like a shorter p92 with just a hair lower lie (even though it still states its a 6).
Switched to this from p92 and absolutely love it.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:43 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think you're right on the rocker, it plays flatter for sure. The kicker for me was trying to shoot with it, you can't cup the puck as much, so you can't lean into shots as much, and then you have to exaggerate the follow through more, and then there's less velocity...just a loss all around. Passing is slightly better though but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with my passes and my linemates know it

For me I tried every curve and ended up with the Sakic. It's nice to experiment but it sucks spending $150-200 on something you may not like.

I actually wasted lots of money on sticks that were in the wrong flex/curve/grip the last couple years, lost several hundred on them. For me it's better to just save up and buy the one stick I know will work for me than try to find something that works better.

If you break sticks a lot though maybe it's a different situation.

Old
04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Bingo. You hit every nail on the head! Especially with the shots.

And I think you're right. I'm probably better off sticking with the P92 (Bauer Sakic equivalent?)

Old
04-02-2012, 02:53 PM
ponder

Agreed with Jarick, if you really like the Sakic, and generally prefer higher lies, I'd stick with the Sakic over the Gionta (or curves that are roughly Sakic clones, and yeah, the Bauer P92 is extremely similar to the Easton Sakic). The lie is significantly lower on the Gionta, which sounds like a negative for you, and if you're big on snappers and saucer passes then an open curve is probably the right choice.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:18 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

I've used a Sakic my whole life and absolutely loved it. It's perfect for what youre looking for

However I just recently switched to the Kane curve, and will probably be sticking with that.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 03:34 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

Thanks for the input guys. The Kane/P88 has been great for me on the one-timers and slappers, but my snapshots have been tougher to get higher up from the slot area. Also, it takes a good amount of work to throw a nice elevated pass as well. I have to basically take a soft, kind of mini-wrist shot to keep it from fluttering. Most of the time it's too hard of a pass. The Sakic might be better for short elevated passes.

Old
04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
AIREAYE

Any reason not to consider P106 or Drury/Parise clones?

edit : to OP

Last edited by AIREAYE: 04-02-2012 at 04:36 PM.
AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 04:27 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

For me or the OP?

I almost never want my passes up in the air, just because folks have a hard time catching them.

Old
04-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Baggy Spandex
Boat movie.

I've tried playing with a heel-wedge and I couldn't do anything with the puck. I like to cup the puck more, and a straight-up heel-wedge proved to be difficult to cup a puck for me. It may work well for others, but the heel-curves just aren't my thing.

I've always used mid-curves with big success, just intrigued with the toe-curves. I wish they made the Gionta in a higher lie so it wouldn't be a problem to try one out. The low-lie blades just kill me though. At the proper stick length I always wind up shooting off the tip of the toe.

Old
04-02-2012, 11:55 PM
superhakan
Gaudreauby Baker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
For me I tried every curve and ended up with the Sakic. It's nice to experiment but it sucks spending $150-200 on something you may not like.

I actually wasted lots of money on sticks that were in the wrong flex/curve/grip the last couple years, lost several hundred on them. For me it's better to just save up and buy the one stick I know will work for me than try to find something that works better.
I agree. With all of this. Find something you like and stick with it. Before I worked at a hockey store I blew way too much money on sticks that were too stiff, had a bad curve for me, and were too long. I just ordered a custom Totalone off MyBauer because it allowed me to get exactly what I wanted.

I don't suggest you do this unless you don't break sticks (which I don't) and know exactly what you want however.

superhakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had issues with the Drury because it was a little too open and high lie, so I had to cup it too much, and I missed a lot of shots high and wide right (lefty). Plus the lack of curve made puck protection trickier.

Not saying the Sakic is perfect...I'd like to try one that was a bit more heel, a bit flatter (less curve), and a bit more open.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:22 AM
sanityplease

I mostly play as a winger, on the off wing. I prefer 1/2" or less, mid, closed. Less curve the better for stick handling & accuracy. Closed blade, better for roofing backhanders & backhand saucers. I find that the more you vary from a straight blade the more unpredictable puck control (especially while stickhandling using the back of the blade) & shots are.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:34 AM
Fanned On It

I tried out a wooden lidstrom on my total-one shaft for the first time today, which I'm pretty sure is a square-toed Drury, and I really liked it puck-handling wise AND shot wise. During warm ups before the game I was shooting pretty high and one even went straight up into the net =X!! But I tried to turn my wrists more and started to tame the beast and during the game I was coming down the left side (as a lefty) and I noticed the goalie was giving me a little short-side corner so I ripped it from the dot and it was dead on accurate... Unfortunately the goalie BARELY got a shoulder on it and it bounced off of him and hit the cross-bar, but I was really surprised that I was so accurate in a game situation with this curve for the first time.

I have my adult clinic tomorrow night so I'll get to spend some quality time shooting and working through the new curve. I'm excited!

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote