HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Lure Leo Komarov [Signed for one Year]

Old
05-31-2012, 10:08 PM
DeputyMcLaren

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Honestly you just can't take ANYTHING Burke says seriously, he loves to hear himself talk and contradicts himself constantly. One of his big signings as a Leafs GM was Colby Armstrong. Army's game is to hit hard, chirp, "walk the line" physically and sometimes cross it, while virtually never backing it up by fighting. Army is an agitator who very rarely fights, just the type of player that Burke apparently hates (well, Army's an agitator when he's healthy, for us he's mostly been a spectator on the IR).

It's the same way Burke talked up a storm about building from the net out, focusing on goaltending and defense, and building a gritty, tough as nails team. Then you look at his actions he hasn't acquired anything resembling a good goalie, the teams he's put together are always roughly the worst in the league defensively, and he acquires tonnes of soft players like Kessel, Connolly, Lombardi, Liles, Bozak, Steckel, Colborne, etc.

Basically, ignore what he says. Him speaking out about "rats" has basically no bearing on whether or not he'll actually sign them.
I actually agree with just about everything you said except that he hasn't "tried" to build from the goalie out. He went out and got us Gusty (who at the time was regarded as the BEST goalie outside the NHL, and almost every team was after), then got us Giguere a stanley cup winner. right there is a decent (well on paper) 1 2 punch. After doing this he used the free agency method to build again on paper, one of the best looking d core in the NHL. Its not Burkes fault our team is one of the biggest under achieving bunches around. I think he's correcting some of his minor mistakes from the past and this teams gonna push real hard for a playoff spot this season. GO LEAFS GO

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
jaateloauto
Nothing is overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinRuutu View Post
Has been a fan favorite in every city that he has played in. Impossible to hate if playing for your team..
I hate him.

jaateloauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:05 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
You should get some burgers maybe that will make you less grumpy.

Oh yea because signing Oveckin, Stamkos or Crosby is going to fix everything here.

Free wallet? He was drafted by the leafs.

Bozak also plays an NHL style game, lo and behold he went to the AHL and he stuck in the NHL.
lol, Bozak is the worst first line center in the NHL. There is zero dispute about that. He is unequivocally the worst first line center in the NHL. There is no way the Leafs will ever be a cup contender with him as our first line center. It's pathetic.

When will Kessel get a decent first line center to play with?

I'm glad we got Komarov, good guy for our bottom-six.

But lets be reality here, there are two things we have needed since Burke arrived -- a first line center and a goaltender. We still have neither.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:35 AM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
But lets be reality here, there are two things we have needed since Burke arrived
We needed a hell of a lot more than that when Burke arrived.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Finnpin
Jenni V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He is big?

5'10" 187lbs
He is at least 198 lbs if not more.

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 08:28 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto View Post
I hate him.
OK ,I'll bite. What did he do to your team?

crump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:00 AM
DeputyMcLaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinWasAdopted View Post
We needed a hell of a lot more than that when Burke arrived.
This can't be more on the money, We had absolutely nothing when he got here. I unlike many am very satisfied so far with the job Burke has done.

DeputyMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:07 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaateloauto View Post
I hate him.

Go oonnnn.... can you describe/compare him please?

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:10 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Honestly you just can't take ANYTHING Burke says seriously, he loves to hear himself talk and contradicts himself constantly. One of his big signings as a Leafs GM was Colby Armstrong. Army's game is to hit hard, chirp, "walk the line" physically and sometimes cross it, while virtually never backing it up by fighting. Army is an agitator who very rarely fights, just the type of player that Burke apparently hates (well, Army's an agitator when he's healthy, for us he's mostly been a spectator on the IR).

It's the same way Burke talked up a storm about building from the net out, focusing on goaltending and defense, and building a gritty, tough as nails team. Then you look at his actions he hasn't acquired anything resembling a good goalie, the teams he's put together are always roughly the worst in the league defensively, and he acquires tonnes of soft players like Kessel, Connolly, Lombardi, Liles, Bozak, Steckel, Colborne, etc.

Basically, ignore what he says. Him speaking out about "rats" has basically no bearing on whether or not he'll actually sign them.
If another team has the goalie that Burke needs aren't they going to keep him for themselves? Given that obvious point all that he can do as far as goaltending goes is what he has done, sign a bunch of highly thought of prospects and hope one turns out.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
caribouPINE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If another team has the goalie that Burke needs aren't they going to keep him for themselves? Given that obvious point all that he can do as far as goaltending goes is what he has done, sign a bunch of highly thought of prospects and hope one turns out.
I don't know how people don't see that.

Sure, Burke may want Schneider or Rask or Miller or Lundqvist or whoever the hell but the point is, HE WONT BE GETTING THEM. People forget it takes 2 teams to make a deal. Burke can't create wine out of water. Like you said, sign a few highly touted prospects and hope one pans out.

The same can be said for the first line center position. He tried for Brad Richards and Brad didn't sign here. So he tried Connolly. It isn't for lack of trying - you can't have everything you want.

If Burke did go out there and give into the demands from another team for a top Center or goalie you can waive goodbye to Gardiner, the 5th pick, Kadri and possibly something else. If you're ok doing then than by all means but I'm not sure how much further ahead that would get us.

caribouPINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:17 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
But lets be reality here, there are two things we have needed since Burke arrived -- a first line center and a goaltender. We still have neither.
If Burke acquires both of those this month, is everything suddenly A-OK?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If Bourke was a good GM, he would have signed Mike Smith and Brian Ellliot, and we'd have been set in goal.

Old
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke meat pete View Post
If Bourke was a good GM, he would have signed Mike Smith and Brian Ellliot, and we'd have been set in goal.
LOL do you not remember how bad they were the season before this one? Elliot was signed as Halak's back-up and WAY overachieved beyond anyones expectations. Smith the same, was signed on a hope and prayer he would be ok to fill the hole Bryzgalov left, and sure enough he played out of his mind.

The defense-first style of both St Louis and Phoenix probably aided their numbers a bit too.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:30 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Otherwise known as being Bryzgaloved.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post
LOL do you not remember how bad they were the season before this one? Elliot was signed as Halak's back-up and WAY overachieved beyond anyones expectations. Smith the same, was signed on a hope and prayer he would be ok to fill the hole Bryzgalov left, and sure enough he played out of his mind.

The defense-first style of both St Louis and Phoenix probably aided their numbers a bit too.
Probably ??

"Defense wins championships" just take a look at this year's playoffs and count the defense-first teams that advanced the furthest at the expense of the offense-first ones.

Its a growing trend that more and more teams are buying into after watching Bruins hoist the Cup in 2011 and NJ/LA prepared to do it again this year.

Strong defensive teams provide strong goalie support and it aids greatly in the stats of the goalie, and the confidence of the team playing in front of them.

06-01-2012, 12:30 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ball Hockey View Post

Don't worry, I remember. I was just poking fun at those who thought filling a goalie position was just so easy, and those who think adding a known name is the answer to our problems.

Big goalie acquisisions a year ago Vokoun and Bryzgalov were major disappointments this year, while cast off and thrown away guys like Elliot and Smith were good. So simply stating Vokoun or Luongo fixes our goaltending is speculative. Because that is assuming our current goaltending will be as bad as it was last year, and Luongo/Vokoun will produce similarly in front of our team. Vancouver wasn't a great defensive team, but what they did well was clear rebounds and loose pucks, meaning Luongo/Schneider only had to make the 1st save. I watched Schneider closely in 4-5 regular season games and the playoffs, and his rebound control is not great, but the team in front of him cleared the rebound. Did the Leafs clear a single rebound or a loose puck in their end well this past year? No. So a proven guy like Luongo or Vokoun may face more 2nd shots which are often higher quality chances then the 1st shot.

Now, if Carlyle cleans this up, then I have complete faith in Reimer/Scrivens with better defence in front of them.

What I would do if I were Bourke is use the assets I would trade for Luongo, and move them for a better defencive forward who will help in his own zone.

Secondly, if I'm willing to take on 32 year old Luongo for 10 years at $50 000 000, I'd just offer the long term money and cap hit to Ryan Suter, make the defence better, and expect better results from Reimer/Scrivens with a better defencive team in front of them.

Worst case scenario is you need to trade for a goalie mid-season. But I think even a mediocre goalie with a better defence in front of him will look better then a better goalie with similar crap defence in front of him.

Old
06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
If Burke acquires both of those this month, is everything suddenly A-OK?
No. But we'll never be a cup contender without filling those two crucial positions.

Goaltending is the most important position in hockey.

I'd argue that a first line center is the second most important position, perhaps tied with a premier shutdown defenseman and/or a puck-moving defenseman.

I think Schenn and Gardiner can hopefully develop into an excellent shutdown defenseman and puck-moving defenseman respectively.

Are there other things this team needs to do? Definitely. Size up in the top-nine; have a much, much better third-line, etc. But those are all easier problems to fix than getting that star first line center and goaltender.

Burke needs to get on that **** ASAP. Bozak will not suffice. Nor will the revolving door of ECHL goaltenders we have had since Belfour left.

saffronleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:59 AM
Finnpin
Jenni V

Do not expect Leo dropping his gloves...not his game..but he will drive people crazy there and they will hunt him down now and then. More work for Brown?

Finnpin is offline   Reply With Quote