HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brock Nelson Agrees to Entry Level Contract

Old
04-03-2012, 05:54 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Being that Anders Lee is 2 years older than Nelson, more physically ready, and seemed to plateau this year offensively, I fully expected Lee to sign this year and Nelson to be the one getting one more year of college hockey...Nelson isn't as physically mature and it just seems he would have benefited more from one more year of college seasoning than will Lee...... But this is the Isles, everything is done in reverse..... Maybe we could send Nino to North Dakota to play out Nelson's last two seasons.
A few reports,Newsday and Botta,said the isles offered Lee a contract and he rejected it.He wants another yr of college.

Should the isles have somehow forced Lee to accept their offer?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
I'm actually a little surprised by this, I thought Nelson was going back to college for one more year. Very happy about this though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Nino - Nelson - Kabanov
DiBo - Cizikas - Rhakshani
Persson - Colliton - Backman
Gallant - Marcinko - McNeely

Donovon/DeHaan - Katic
Ness - Kitchon
Olesky - Cantin

Poulin
Nilsson
I'm thinking a lot of those names are not gonna be in the Port next season.

Dibo and Katic's contracts are expiring and it will be interesting to see which of them, if not both, are resigned. I think Marcinko, Backman and McNeely were all only signed for one season, but I could be wrong. I'm also thinking that one of Poulin/Nilsson is the regular back-up on the Island.

Also, gotta see if Persson signs (somewhat likely).

In addition, doesn't look like you accounted for Halmo. Do you think he's gonna be in the show?

Will be interesting to see which of Howes, Olesky, Riley, Landry and Mouillierat are kept around. All have played a somewhat important role on the team this year. That would still leave room for the toughness factor. Will all of Gillies, Olson, Gallant and Haley be elsewhere?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:12 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster96 View Post
People are complaining hes signed... theyd complain if he wasnt signed... some people here seriously just tick me off... If they slot him on the 4th on the Island like Nino, then yeah thats just silly... but playing in the AHL will be good for Nelson (as it will for Nino next year I hope).

We really need to stop complaining about EVERYTHING... some things deserve to be complained about, but when people are bashing getting a good young prospect under contract and making jokes about DiPietro for buying 5000 fans hot dogs and sodas its just stupid at that point

In all seriousness, I feel as though as if DiPietro saved orphans from an overturned ambulance that was on fire the first post in the thread about it would say "LULZ Dipi BACK IN AN AMBULANZ!"
The point of my post was just that I think Anders Lee is more ready than is Nelson.. I'm not saying Lee will turn out to be a better player. But I just think it would have been nice to get Lee signed first.... am I upset about signing Nelson, of course not.. He's my favorite prospect.. But if either of the two could have used another year of college hockey, it was Nelson.. I just think Lee could help the big club next year and don't see another year of college hockey doing that much more for him...

And its just been reported that Nino will be wearing number 99 for the North Dakota Sioux next year, as he was actually traded for Nelson.

petrocelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:13 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
I'm thinking a lot of those names are not gonna be in the Port next season.

Dibo and Katic's contracts are expiring and it will be interesting to see which of them, if not both, are resigned. I think Marcinko, Backman and McNeely were all only signed for one season, but I could be wrong. I'm also thinking that one of Poulin/Nilsson is the regular back-up on the Island.

Also, gotta see if Persson signs (somewhat likely).

In addition, doesn't look like you accounted for Halmo. Do you think he's gonna be in the show?

Will be interesting to see which of Howes, Olesky, Riley, Landry and Mouillierat are kept around. All have played a somewhat important role on the team this year. That would still leave room for the toughness factor. Will all of Gillies, Olson, Gallant and Haley be elsewhere?
Is Colliton a UFA as well?

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:14 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
With all the speculation about Haley not being wanted on the Isles from Management, I'm starting to think maybe they wanted him in Bridgeport to take a veteran leadership role. I mean, coming in, they were and still are a young team and Haley was exempt from waivers this season. That's just me speculating, but could it be, maybe Haley would be on the team next if he chooses to remain with the Isles?

I think Halmo replaces Haley's role on BST next season. They seem like very similar players.

Backhand of Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Nice to see this kid in the fold.

04-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
With all the speculation about Haley not being wanted on the Isles from Management, I'm starting to think maybe they wanted him in Bridgeport to take a veteran leadership role. I mean, coming in, they were and still are a young team and Haley was exempt from waivers this season. That's just me speculating, but could it be, maybe Haley would be on the team next if he chooses to remain with the Isles?

I think Halmo replaces Haley's role on BST next season. They seem like very similar players.
Halmo, the leading WHL scorer?

Seto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:28 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Awesome, i have really high hopes for this kid. Really could see him becoming a 60-70 point second line center in a few years. Could see a dynamite line in Nino-Nelson-Petrov/Kabanov in the AHL next year.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post

Olson was traded to Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redarmynative View Post
Halmo, the leading WHL scorer?
Halmo played in the OHL

Isles Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:42 PM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
The point of my post was just that I think Anders Lee is more ready than is Nelson.. I'm not saying Lee will turn out to be a better player. But I just think it would have been nice to get Lee signed first.... am I upset about signing Nelson, of course not.. He's my favorite prospect.. But if either of the two could have used another year of college hockey, it was Nelson.. I just think Lee could help the big club next year and don't see another year of college hockey doing that much more for him...

And its just been reported that Nino will be wearing number 99 for the North Dakota Sioux next year, as he was actually traded for Nelson.
If Lee does not want to sign, what can the Isles do. He either wants to go to school ne more year to get his degree or to get his freedom to choose where he plays as he will be a free agent after his junior year cause he played in the USHL for a year.

I hope he signs with us, but it is out of our hands like it was with Kessel and Gregoire.

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
Is Colliton a UFA as well?
Likely...

Old
04-03-2012, 09:21 PM
leaponover

Wow, honestly I think BP's season next year is going to be more exciting than the Isles. Wish I could watch those games on NHL Center Ice.

BTW, I am saying that based on the current state of the roster. IF (big IF) they make a splash in the offseason and sign that top 6 forward and top 4 defenseman I will change my tune. As of now though, I am definitely looking forward to a talented BP team next year!

Go BRIDGE!

leaponover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:23 PM
30whales

Sad and shocking day for us Sioux fans I truly believed that he needed another year at UND but I still think he will do just fine with the Islanders and hope the best for him.

30whales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
periferal

Quote:
The Lord is with us.

Yes...And he's wasted.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:18 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
Great job. Very happy to see Nelson get signed. Hopefully we don't rush him and he can build his game in Bridgeport. I really think he's going to be a big time player for the Isles in the future.

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Joey Mac

flyers fan coming in peace, have always loved the isles since the turgeon years though... i always check out the isles forums, but never post... is nelson capable of growing into the 2nd line center behind tavares? i know it'll take a few years, but was just curious as to what his ceiling is

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:34 PM
tjolsen

just saying I called it lol

tjolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:35 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Anyone have details on the contract? I wonder how inflated the cap hit will be.

On the signing, Brock Nelson has some really good bloodlines (Dave Christian is his uncle) and thus his camp obviously felt that he's ready to make the jump to the pro ranks. One year at the Bridge and he could be a potential beast for the Isles. The one thing that he does is he scores goals. The Isles lack finishers and he could make an impact in that department.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Mac View Post
flyers fan coming in peace, have always loved the isles since the turgeon years though... i always check out the isles forums, but never post... is nelson capable of growing into the 2nd line center behind tavares? i know it'll take a few years, but was just curious as to what his ceiling is
If he puts it all together, he's got a shot at being somewhere between a Joe Thornton and Jeff Carter type.

Asking a lot, I know.

Chances are, he won't hit those heights, but we really need to hope that he can be the answer at the #2 center position. We have plenty of options for lines 3 and 4.

It likely won't be any time immediately though. He's got a lot of filling out to do. Let's see if he can do anything at BPort during the ATO.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

You got one classy kid coming your way Islander fans. I got to watch him grow before my eyes the last 2 years playing for the Sioux as I am a season ticket holder. He turned into a natural goal scorer this season as he put on muscle and weight last summer. Still has a ways to go as far as that goes but he has a natural knack for the game. Sorry to see him leave early and was hoping one more year in a Sioux jersey but I wish him nothing but the best.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:52 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
You got one classy kid coming your way Islander fans. I got to watch him grow before my eyes the last 2 years playing for the Sioux as I am a season ticket holder. He turned into a natural goal scorer this season as he put on muscle and weight last summer. Still has a ways to go as far as that goes but he has a natural knack for the game. Sorry to see him leave early and was hoping one more year in a Sioux jersey but I wish him nothing but the best.
Thanks for this, should make Isles Nation happy.

Since you've watched him, could you give us a scouting report on him in your opinion. We're information starved at our newest member of the organization.

Old
04-03-2012, 11:09 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
The Lord is with us.
sshhh - Wang will find a way to count him on the cap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Thanks for this, should make Isles Nation happy.

Since you've watched him, could you give us a scouting report on him in your opinion. We're information starved at our newest member of the organization.
I've seen Nelson play three times this season and he was the best player on the ice each time. He's much better than Anders Lee (whom I also like), in my opinion.

Nelson's a different player than I recall from the WJC. He's MUCH stronger (less lanky) and plays with edge. And he's not just a pass-first guy anymore, he goes to the net hard, his shot is much improved.

I remember watching Corey Perry in London. He was a big player, really skilled, didn't play with the same tenacity as he's LEARNED to do now, at the NHL level. If Nelson continues to develop and plays with that kind of fire, he has a chance to be a special player.

I think he'll need to work on his foot speed (quickness) and learn to play against men that are his size and stronger. That just takes time. He's got the hands/vision and hockey sense to play in the NHL.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
As far as what roster space?

Signed for 2012-2113 thats 24/50 am I missing anyone?

1. DiPi
2. Nabby
3. Poulin
4. Nilsson

1. Streit
2. MacDonald
3. Hamonic
4. de Haan
5. Ness
6. Donovan
7. Cantin

1. Tavares
2. Moulson
3. Okposo
4. Nino
5. Bailey
6. Grabner
7. Reasoner
8. Ullstrom
9. Cizikas
10. Kabanov
11. Strome EL SR
12. Halmo
13. Nelson
Goalie Mikko Koskinen is also signed.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:52 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Heck of a hockey player. He has made huge strides from last year to this year. He will get more confidence with size. He figured out how to use his frame this year and it paid off huge along the walls, in the corners, and in front of the net. There is plenty of room for weight to be added. Good hands, good vision, and good 2 way play. He could improve the shot and speed. He doesn't have terrible speed, but his foot speed in the tight areas could improve. I project him as a 2nd line center in the NHL. It might take some time for him to fill into that body, so be patient.

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote