HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Who will be the 2012/13 CBJ Captain?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Captain of the CBJ next season?
RJ Umberger 7 7.53%
Vinnie Prospal 33 35.48%
Jack Johnson 36 38.71%
James Wisniewski 6 6.45%
Derek Dorsett 1 1.08%
Other 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-03-2012, 06:37 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

vCash: 500
I'm in the group that voted "other". I say Nash.

Cracks me up that people on their sofas posting in a forum think they know that Nash has never been a good captain. Yet, over and over and over we hear people in the room, people who ACTUALLY know what is going on say what a good leader, and awesome captain our Captain is.

The very people revered on these boards for their fiesty play, DD and Dmac to name a few, have publicly stated their support and respect for Nash's leadership as Captain. Wouldn't these two, in particular, disapprove of Nash's leadership if he is a "country club"/slacker persona that so many imply? I can't imagine the firey guys would publicly support him like they have if they see him as uncaring. Just the opposite, I think.

So, I'm gonna go with the opinions of people who actually KNOW what his captaincy is like first hand. Surely his teammates' opinion of Nash's leadership is more accurate, more valuable than that of us sitting here at our keyboards, right?

* and if he is not with the team next year, if whatever precipitated his request is not addressed and resolved.... add losing Nash to the long list of things people around the NHL will be laughing at CBJ for down the road. Zheesh.

Last edited by Derby: 04-03-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Added last paragraph
Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:55 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
I'm in the group that voted "other". I say Nash.

Cracks me up that people on their sofas posting in a forum think they know that Nash has never been a good captain. Yet, over and over and over we hear people in the room, people who ACTUALLY know what is going on say what a good leader, and aweome captain our Captain is.

The very people revered on these boards for their fiesty play, DD and Dmac to name a few, have publicly stated their support and respect for Nash's leadership as Captain. Wouldn't these two, in particular, disapprove of Nash's leadership if he is a "country club"/slacker persona that so many imply? I can't imagine the firey guys would publicly support him like they have if they see him as uncaring. Just the opposite, I think.

So, I'm gonna go with the opinions of people who actually KNOW what his captaincy is like first hand. Surely his teammates' opinion of Nash's leadership is more accurate, more valuable than that of us sitting here at our keyboards, right?

* and if he is not with the team next year, if whatever precipitated his request is not addressed and resolved.... add losing Nash to the long list of things people around the NHL will be laughing at CBJ for down the road. Zheesh.
I don't have to be in the room to see that Nash is a different player when he tries, but unfortunately that is rare. Being that the young players all look up to Nash, I draw the conclusion that this is not a good thing for the young players to emulate. So, while I understand your logic, I think Nash is a terrible captain based off that. Also, what does he do to lead the team ? When the season began, and Prospal gave an interview to the dispatch stating that the atmosphere was that of a country club , is that a ringing endorsement of Nash's leadership ? Later in the season, out of nowhere, Prospal is resigned, and Nash is going to be shipped out. Just saying.

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Renion

Hard to tell what some posts mean, but to possibly clear things up, Nash asked to be traded--or put himself forward as an option, or whatever your heart tells you--at least a few weeks before Prospal was re-signed. I do think it was likely, however, that Prospal was at least told of the possibility of Nash not being here next season, even if he might not have been given the details.

I'd be happy with Prospal or Johnson as captain, though I also thought MacKenzie was almost making a play for it around when the Nash stuff was coming out. (Is Dorsett on this list instead of MacKenzie because I'm unaware of some development?) I'd be less thrilled with that result--not because of any failings on MacKenzie's part, but because I've never thought the bottom-six players on the Jackets, through no fault of their own, did much to inspire the more talented players. Of course, that could be on Nash.

I can't support Umberger for captain next year, but I think he's a likely player to have a resurgence.

Renion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:40 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
Other - Rick Nash
Ditto.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 07:55 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

JJ or Vinny would be my preferred choices, but I voted for JJ.

Nasher should be stripped of the "C" on April 8th.

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBusChill View Post
Nasher should be stripped of the "C" on April 8th.
Not saying they should do it, but wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if they stripped him of the C right before the final game against the Islanders?

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:15 PM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

I don't want to disrespect Nasher. I like him as a player and I appreciate everything he brought to this team over the years. I would prefer to see him refocus on his game (here preferably) without worrying about the pressures of the "C".

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 08:55 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

The one with the trademark excited look on his face:

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBusChill View Post
I don't want to disrespect Nasher. I like him as a player and I appreciate everything he brought to this team over the years. I would prefer to see him refocus on his game (here preferably) without worrying about the pressures of the "C".
Here's how you do it: New coach comes in. New overall regime comes in. Everyone is stripped of all letters. You do NOT name a captain to start the season, only As. Rotate As if you have to. Then as the season progresses, see who does what and then name a captain appropriately and accordingly.

Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:36 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
Here's how you do it: New coach comes in. New overall regime comes in. Everyone is stripped of all letters. You do NOT name a captain to start the season, only As. Rotate As if you have to. Then as the season progresses, see who does what and then name a captain appropriately and accordingly.
Another idea which was done by another team is to have a player be a Captain for the month. They take turns, based on play(Not sure who decided who would be the Captain). I don't think a player can be a Captain for two straight month's, no matter how they played.

As for the original post, I chose Umberger. He's been in Columbus for a while and he is considered a leader. I think Johnson is to new to the team and to a degree, same with Wizniweski. I wouldn't want a 3rd/4th liner(Dorsett) as a captain. Wouldn't mind Prospal(even if he would fit in the new crowd like J.J. or Wiz). If Howson and Prospal has a agreement for him to keep on signing one year deals and then coming into some sort of manangement position, Howson must think highly of him. Wouldn't surprise me if he is named the Captain.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 04-03-2012 at 11:04 PM.
punk_o_holic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:52 PM
EDM

As for Nash, and this is coming from one who was "in the room", Hedja thought Nash was not an effective captain. Nash said nothing to the other players between periods of games and, after a loss, tended to dress quietly by himself and leave the locker room. Hedja, who was a big Hitch supporter, felt that Nash was partially responsible for Hitch losing the room because Nash did nothing to rally the players around Hitch which Hedja thought Nash, as the captain, should have done.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:01 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
As for Nash, and this is coming from one who was "in the room", Hedja thought Nash was not an effective captain. Nash said nothing to the other players between periods of games and, after a loss, tended to dress quietly by himself and leave the locker room. Hedja, who was a big Hitch supporter, felt that Nash was partially responsible for Hitch losing the room because Nash did nothing to rally the players around Hitch which Hedja thought Nash, as the captain, should have done.
Thank you for bringing this up. I have mentioned many times that nash pretty much admitted on air with the torg a while back that the team quit on Hitch, then we had the same thing happen with Arniel. I'm convinced that Patrick identified this needed to change and made his recommendation to Howson. Also in response to the above post from Derby, what do you expect the players to say to the media when they are asked about the captain of the team ?

jacks johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:58 PM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
This is how it's done at the minor league level often times. There usually is a lot of turnover and the previous Captain isn't with the team any longer. The coach chooses three guys and usually assigns the "C" after a month or two.

I think this method would be especially useful if Nash is traded and/or a new coach is guiding the team next season.

Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
How do you know these things? I never thought Nash was a good candidate for Captain but you have now explained why for me... how do you do it?

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:53 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Let me preface this by saying whoever the captain is should be someone who's earned it throughout training camp and the preseason. That is if they are intent on slapping the "C" on someone by the start of the season.

I think it will be Wiz.

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:16 AM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

Two things I've come to hate in hockey (other than CBJ shorthanded goals against):
-Retired numbers
-Players who are named captain based upon being a big name and not a leader.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
hip check
Go North.

The reason I don't want to see JJ as Captain next year is because I draw too many parallels to the current Captain. Both are supposedly quieter, lead by example type (again supposedly) and JJ will probably be the most talented player on the team next year, as Nash has been since he took over captaincy. Aren't those two reasons so many of us don't like about Nash being captain? Too quiet and burdens too much of the load as Captain instead of just concentrating on his own game?
I don't know who I want to see as C, or who will actually end up with it. Umberger has been the choice in the past, but I'd want to make sure last year isn't the start to a big downhill. Prospal has the leadership ability, but who knows how well he'll be next year with his age. What if the game finally passes him by halfway through the season next year? What if his skating finally becomes too slow? Do you strip him of the C or keep going with a Captain who is now ineffective for the team? Wiz shows the heart and determination that I wish the whole team had. I am impressed every time he talks about CBJ. The problem with him is that at least this season his play seemed to be very hot or cold. I'd really like to see a little less cold in his game before giving him the C. Dorsett, I didn't mind seeing him do some spot A here and there, but there are a few much better choices ahead of him for C.
Unless we are in the locker room, we probably don't really know who is the best choice.

hip check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
WALLY

I voted for Johnson, but wonder if Prospal would be better for the next few years?

I read somewhere that Johnson is another "quiet" leader, but he's got consistent grit that our current captain lacks. Nash has really turned it on as of late, too bad it's about 300 games too late.

WALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:38 PM
blahblah

I'm not concerned about "parallels" in this case. There is nothing to suggest that Nash possesses the qualities of a poor captain, thus there is little to be learned from studying the past.

Perhaps the one thing that can be learned, which I brushed over, as that we were in hurry to make Nash captain. Perhaps being more patient and conservative this time is far more prudent.

I am always amazed when the topic of Captain becomes such a focal point. While I tend to focus more on the leadership group as a whole, the fans of hockey obsess about who is the Captain of their team. More so then any sport I watch with any regularity.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:16 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Perhaps the one thing that can be learned, which I brushed over, as that we were in hurry to make Nash captain. Perhaps being more patient and conservative this time is far more prudent.
Here's the way I remember it - and no I'm not going to provide links.

When the topic began to be discussed in the aftermath of the Foote trade, Nash gave an interview in which he said the team would need other leaders and that he expected to be among them, but also seemed to suggest he wasn't quite ready, based on his comparative youth.
Hitch publicly discussed the situation and importance of developing leadership group moving forward.
Nash gives interview in which he says he wants the C.
Nash awarded the C. Hitch says he will have some "growing into it" to do.

I posted at the time that I believed Nash was ready, but I also opined that his change of heart may have been driven by Hitch/the organization wanting him to take that step and perhaps forcing his hand in the matter.

I say all this not to blame Nash or Hitch or anyone for that matter, just to provide a read on the history. By which to say, I agree that Nash may have been rushed.

Reading threads from around that time, there were many, myself included, who suggested a "bridge" C might be a good idea. I am of the same mind today.

Old
04-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Look, I like Jack. I like Jack A LOT. However, can we let him unpack before we crown him King?

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:14 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

I am always amazed when the topic of Captain becomes such a focal point. While I tend to focus more on the leadership group as a whole, the fans of hockey obsess about who is the Captain of their team. More so then any sport I watch with any regularity.
I have always felt the role of a captain in hockey is one of the most overrated items in sports.

Quote:
Look, I like Jack. I like Jack A LOT. However, can we let him unpack before we crown him King?
No, we must build him up and love everything about him so that in a season or two we can destroy and bash him at any sign of him not living up to the hype.

04-04-2012, 03:46 PM
EDM

Robert, contrary to what some people on this board think, agents are always a good source of information because they are always checking into everybody else's business so that they can pick up any little thing that they can use for their clients. Thus, they are a font of information about what is going on behind the scenes and it is their job for which they get paid big bucks to know what is really going on behind the scenes.

By the way, Hedja likes Nash personally and thinks he is a great hockey player. Just that Hedja thought that when Hitch was going thru the crap Nash, as captain, should have had Hitch's back.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Doug19

vCash: 50
I think the best for the job in the near future is Jack Johnson, everything about this guy is professional and he has a very likable personality and has a swagger about him, something Nash lacks that makes it harder to get excited about Nash as a captain. The proper choice next season however, assuming Nash is traded, is probably Vinny Prospal, although I'm not 100% sure on that as he has the tendency to fly off the handle to the officials which could be a bad thing as an on ice captain, but his enthusiasm and how he approaches practice and games is something the young guys need to learn.

I voted Prospal, Johnson hasn't been here long enough to warrant be the captain he needs another year or two in a leadership position just not as the leader.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:04 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Quote:
But, but, but...................he's JMFJ for cripes sake!! He's totally awesome!! He LOVES it here!! He smiles!! And most of all....................he's AMERICAN!!.................

(remember, probably in a couple of years, the same folks that are falling all over themselves over Jack will turn on him at the first sign of a minor drop in performance................

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote