HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who will be the 2012/13 CBJ Captain?

View Poll Results: Who will be the Captain of the CBJ next season?
RJ Umberger 7 7.53%
Vinnie Prospal 33 35.48%
Jack Johnson 36 38.71%
James Wisniewski 6 6.45%
Derek Dorsett 1 1.08%
Other 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfboard View Post

(remember, probably in a couple of years, the same folks that are falling all over themselves over Jack will turn on him at the first sign of a minor drop in performance................
as in..... RJ "heart and soul" Umberger?

Derby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Actually, my middle initials are "MF", as well. So, I guess I'm pretty awesome!

Old
04-04-2012, 07:09 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Robert, contrary to what some people on this board think, agents are always a good source of information because they are always checking into everybody else's business so that they can pick up any little thing that they can use for their clients. Thus, they are a font of information about what is going on behind the scenes and it is their job for which they get paid big bucks to know what is really going on behind the scenes.
They are also lying ****** bags and that makes them a crap source of information.

04-04-2012, 07:56 PM
EDM

Well, that certainly seems objective.

EDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1164
I voted, but damn is this thread premature. I think this is a discussion for September.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:28 AM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

It should be JMFJ. It will be Vinny Prospal.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:28 AM
Cyclones Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
They are also lying ****** bags and that makes them a crap source of information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Well, that certainly seems objective.

Inside information of the type you provided if I recall correctly, namely that Nash is reserved and tends to keep to himself, hardly is TMZ type of stuff. It seems to be a perfectly reasonable confirmation of what Nash's personality would likely be.

Your information hardly was worthy of the absurd response it elicited. Nash is not much of a leader. It's as obvious as the inflated Blue Jackets announced attendance figures.

Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 04-05-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 08:18 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
Inside information of the type you provided if I recall correctly, namely that Nash is reserved and tends to keep to himself, hardly is TMZ type of stuff. It seems to be a perfectly reasonable confirmation of what Nash's personality would likely be.

Your information hardly was worthy of the absurd response it elicited. Nash is not much of a leader. It's as obvious as the inflated Blue Jackets announced attendance figures.
I see your reading comprehension is as bad as your crowd estimating skills. My response was directed at the laughable notion that second hand information for an “agent” on an internet message board is a good source of information not whether or not Nash is a vocal leader.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:38 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
And amazingly enough the players were and appear to be behind him. He is leading them somewhere, even if we don't like where that is. I don't buy the notion that Nash isn't a leader. Players respect him and players have wanted to play with him.

To steal a line used in one of my favorite movies, "You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
And amazingly enough the players were and appear to be behind him. He is leading them somewhere, even if we don't like where that is. I don't buy the notion that Nash isn't a leader. Players respect him and players have wanted to play with him.

To steal a line used in one of my favorite movies, "You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means".
Inconceivable!

Old
04-05-2012, 11:26 AM
GreaterGood

Send a message via Skype™ to GreaterGood
I am not sure exactly what the role of Captain off of the ice is as far as the team and the room are concerned but it seems that on the Ice and facing the media you would want someone known in the League. Someone that gets respect because they have earned it. I Think Nash has that. Who cares if he is not a cheerleader I am not sure that is in the job description.

If you want to name a new one, make sure you get someone that is not afraid to fight. That could be problematic for some of our current team members. /Rant

First and only post all season, how about them apples!

GreaterGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:02 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Enough with the Nash-specific talk in here. There's a thread to discuss him. Let's keep this on-topic. Thanks.

Old
04-10-2012, 07:51 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1164
AP writes in Season Review story
http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...to-forget.html

Quote:
Captain Jack?

It’s hard to overstate what defenseman Jack Johnson has meant to the Blue Jackets since he arrived in the Feb. 24 trade that sent Carter to the Los Angeles Kings (The Jackets also got a first-round draft pick in the deal — consider that grand larceny).

Johnson played 30-plus minutes five times in 21 games and totaled four goals, 10 assists and a plus-4 rating. He can run a power play, too.

Off the ice, Johnson’s attitude and approach lifted a dressing room that needed life during a dismal season.

If/when Nash gets traded, Johnson is the odds-on favorite to be the next captain.
I am a little surprised about this given he has only played 20 some games for the CBJ. I would like to see a little more time under his belt. But I would be ok with the decision.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2012, 12:52 PM
BJFan1

If Nash goes... I would see the possibility of "all A's" at the start of the season and see who emerges.

I honestly think that JJ will be the next C, however, VP makes a good case, although the 1 year contracts and gentlemen's agreement in place, I would think they go for a long term C over him, since he could play 1 more year then retire.

JJ - C
VP - A
RJ - A
DD - A
JW - A

BJFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 10:07 AM
AlexanderMogilny89

What would it take Buffalo to get Nash out of Columbus? Would you take Vanek and a 1st rounder?

AlexanderMogilny89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 06:52 PM
BJfan
NobodyBeatsTheWiz!

Really don't see how it can't be Vinny. Starts the season by questioning the work ethic of the entire team and ends it with yearly contracts until he retires AND a post retirement front office gig. What better way to elevate the potential of a future team exec. then making him team captain for his last couple of years.

BJfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 07:34 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Bleacher Report has a nice SLIDESHOW of every team's Captain and where they stand as far as remaining the Captain and who might replace them.

Bleacher Report Link
(from March 2012)

haha, HF won't post the bleacherreport link. Competition no doubt.

So type bleacherreport DOT COM before /articles/1099019-picking-the-next-captain-for-every-nhl-franchise#/articles/1099019-picking-the-next-captain-for-every-nhl-franchise/page/3 to read the article and see the Captain current/future pics.

Last edited by JACKETfan: 04-13-2012 at 07:43 PM.
JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2012, 08:29 PM
bizzz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Bleacher Report has a nice SLIDESHOW of every team's Captain and where they stand as far as remaining the Captain and who might replace them.

haha, HF won't post the bleacherreport link. Competition no doubt.
I saw the The Greatest Single Moment in Each NHL Team's Playoff History article and scrolled to the Jackets page. They coul be more polite:

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:37 AM
99 CBJ

I read through this topic again and a couple of things come to mind. What player in his right mind is going to come out and say his captain sucks, he wouldn't be around long. As for having a 4th line center as a captain just doesn't make much sense. I liked the idea Prospel as the next captain until we traded for JJ who I will now refer to as Captain Jack. I believe it was reported by one of the Dispatch reporters or it was on their Cannon Fodder Podcast that someone on the team had referred to JJ in this manor. As for Nash I don't mind if he stays, but I don't want him as my Captain that ship has sailed when he asked for a trade. I like him as a player when he plays like he did when he thought he was going to be traded around the trade deadline, or even Olympic Nash would be great to see with more regularity.

I voted for Captain Jack.

99 CBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 07:05 AM
Nanabijou
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I voted, but damn is this thread premature. I think this is a discussion for September.
Agreed about the premature part. I'll wait to see what happens this offseason before voting on this.

Nanabijou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Speedy Sanderson

JJ should be the captain - everything I've heard about the guy screams leader. You have several candidates for assistant captains, with Prospal, Wiz, Umby and Dorse.

Speedy Sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Derby
Pilsners in Prague

How can anyone be touting Umberger as future captain after his disappearing act this year following a generous contract?

Put down your Buckeye kool aid. He doesn't derserve to lead this team after that collapse.

Old
04-14-2012, 11:45 AM
DaveCBJ
Boom. Outta here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
How can anyone be touting Umberger as future captain after his disappearing act this year following a generous contract?

Put down your Buckeye kool aid. He doesn't derserve to lead this team after that collapse.
Stat sheet aside, I could see an argument on Umby's behalf based on his on-ice leadership. Whatever happened to him early in the season he battled through it, kept working, did well towards the end of the year. I know, I know, when it didn't matter anymore...but I still liked his fire, the way he stood up for his teammates, and the way he worked in front of the net.

DaveCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Friedrich
This is not my hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJFan1 View Post
If Nash goes... I would see the possibility of "all A's" at the start of the season and see who emerges.

I honestly think that JJ will be the next C, however, VP makes a good case, although the 1 year contracts and gentlemen's agreement in place, I would think they go for a long term C over him, since he could play 1 more year then retire.

JJ - C
VP - A
RJ - A
DD - A
JW - A
I've been wondering about the bolded as well. If I were one of the powers that be, I would start the first month of the season without a captain, and instead have JJ, and VP have two of the A's. This would do a few things:

First, it gives Vinny the chance to show what a leader should/can do without having to "take" the team away from someone else. I believe it was Moreau who once said he didn't speak up much, because it was Nash's team, and it wasn't his place, or something along those lines.

Second, it shows Jack what kind of responsibilities a leader has, what he should do, how he should rally, etc. I think of this as sort of a "training period" for JJ. Where as Nash had to admittedly "grow into" the C, I think that he wasn't given the chance to do that, and instead was just thrown into the fire. This would give JJ an opportunity to lead with Prospal before taking over the C.

I definitely think Wiz should have an A. It was quoted in the dispatch when we played LA for the first time since we traded for JJ, Jack said something along the lines of "let's win this one. Let's win it for me." And Wiz said "Yeah, let's do it."

I think going into a game saying "let's win" speaks volumes more than a cheerleader on the beech yelling at the players to have active sticks, etc. I don't take Johnson's "quiet" nature to parallel Nash's. I'd much rather have a Captain that goes in and says "let's win this one" and have other players in the leadership core saying "yeah, let's do it," because it pulls other players onto the winning bandwagon, and there's your change in culture.

I'm of course not in the room. But I think that would be a good way to handle the situation.

Friedrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2012, 01:19 PM
Kershaw

Rick Nash.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote