HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canes Board Lounge VI: Tennessee needs a hug

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

vCash: 500
Meh, don't need to stir anything up...

Last edited by Anton Dubinchuk: 04-23-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old
04-23-2012, 09:58 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Dubinchuk View Post
Haven't gotten the laptop yet, just saying, when I do, it'll be new and shiny. I mean for most engineering schools you've gotta get a good one, right? One that can run all sorts of engineering software and whatnot? Either way, it'll be better than the one I'm currently rocking, an Acer netbook that was $200 FOUR YEARS AGO!

And HisIceness, thanks! It sucks, I know, but hopefully I can catch a couple of preseason games at Phillips. Actually went to the Canes-Thrashers game last season after my visit to GT (second to last game of the year, 5-0 win), really having no idea it'd be the second-to-last Thrashers game of all-time. Nice arena.
I've got a Mac. It's nice and everything with a dual-boot, but it gets obnoxious after a while when you have to switch it into Windows twice per day like I do on M/W/F.

Or...when the Mac side messes up and you're stuck in Windows 24/7 like right now...and have no time to bring it to the IT people to try to fix it due to two projects at once that need your computer.

But otherwise, Macs are legit. I don't know if they're legit enough to justify paying more for a Mac than whatever GT recommends for a regular PC, but that's up to your personal preference/finances.

Just my $0.02.

Old
04-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

I don't necessarily care for Macs, nor do I know much about computers in general. Don't game much either.

I figure I'll just go with what GT recommends...

Old
04-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Novacane

So on the main page of this site I get a UNC ad. It says: "The online MBA you probably can't get into/ Kenan-Flagler Business School" Am I missing something? How is that good advertising saying you basically have no chance so don't even try. Not that I wanted to do it/ will want to do it, but what is the point of saying that.

Old
04-23-2012, 11:41 PM
Carolinas Identity
#ducksbadnwagon :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
For those of you following closely, after much deliberation, I've officially decided on Georgia Tech.
Congrats dude. Now do us all a favor and buy a Chris Bosh Yellow Jackets jersey. I heard he needs some love

Old
04-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

I will never own a non Apple computer again

Old
04-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Brock Anton
#habs #bandwagon

BarceLOLna.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:15 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
BarceLOLna.
Permission to tweet this, effectively claiming it as my own?

Old
04-24-2012, 04:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I've got a Mac. It's nice and everything with a dual-boot, but it gets obnoxious after a while when you have to switch it into Windows twice per day like I do on M/W/F.

Or...when the Mac side messes up and you're stuck in Windows 24/7 like right now...and have no time to bring it to the IT people to try to fix it due to two projects at once that need your computer.

But otherwise, Macs are legit. I don't know if they're legit enough to justify paying more for a Mac than whatever GT recommends for a regular PC, but that's up to your personal preference/finances.

Just my $0.02.
That's my feeling as well re Mac vs PC. I've had both recently, ended up switching back to PC for my laptop. Mac's OS design is better, and it's a slightly better OS for what I do mostly in regards to music. But the price difference wasn't worth it to me. I just don't think it's that much of a better machine/OS for the money.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:18 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

lol @ everyone recommending macs in this thread. Especially to an engineering student.

Best joke I've heard all week.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
lol @ everyone recommending macs in this thread. Especially to an engineering student.

Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking but didn't want to sound ungrateful because I don't know much. But everything that I've heard is that Mac is for user-friendly, PC's for engineers.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Brock Anton
#habs #bandwagon

Quote:
Permission to tweet this, effectively claiming it as my own?
Yeah, go ahead.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Anton Dubinchuk
go perds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Yeah, go ahead.
Thanks.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:25 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Yeah that's sort of what I was thinking but didn't want to sound ungrateful because I don't know much. But everything that I've heard is that Mac is for user-friendly, PC's for engineers.
You can get a more powerful PC for half the price. You could even go the custom built desktop with cheaper laptop route like I did. That's still less than a Mac and you'd have more power as well as mobility for taking notes in class and other portable things.

Also, you won't be a ******.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:46 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
You can get a more powerful PC for half the price. You could even go the custom built desktop with cheaper laptop route like I did. That's still less than a Mac and you'd have more power as well as mobility for taking notes in class and other portable things.

Also, you won't be a ******.
^ this, most importantly the latter part.

Old
04-24-2012, 04:54 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:

It really depends on what you're doing with the machine. Someone like me that mostly does stuff like music composition (when I'm actually doing work ) it's a good platform. But as I said, it's not that much better of a platform then PCs to offset the costs. And frankly you can get a far more powerful PC then Mac for a good bit less rather easily.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Novacane

Ya I have a Dell XPS 15 and it can handle anything. It is just a beast and never overheats. I bought it specifically for engineering, but I have yet to go to college and try it out. Based on my experiences though, it should have no problem.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

Quote:
For those of you following closely, after much deliberation, I've officially decided on Georgia Tech.

The high-speed internet and HD cable in the dorm rooms did it for me.
Atlanta is a hell of a lot of fun, but be careful it gets pretty rough.

Old
04-24-2012, 05:59 PM
bilpeto
Best Bandwagon Ever

Quote:

If you were directing this towards me:

I don't know that I ever really recommended a Mac.

As far as having a Mac for engineering, yeah I regret it. One of the senior engineering students who was doing the Clemson tours this past year swore by a Mac as though it were the greatest thing ever, and that it wouldn't really be much of an annoyance with dual-boot.

The computer itself, I prefer Mac though. It's nothing to do with me being a ****** or a hipster or any **** like that. It's personal preference.

I talked about having a Mac because it's what I have and what I have experience with, as a response to Dubinchuk's initial post about needing a new computer.

If you didn't intend this comment towards me:

Carry on, sir.

Old
04-24-2012, 07:36 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
If you were directing this towards me:

I don't know that I ever really recommended a Mac.

As far as having a Mac for engineering, yeah I regret it. One of the senior engineering students who was doing the Clemson tours this past year swore by a Mac as though it were the greatest thing ever, and that it wouldn't really be much of an annoyance with dual-boot.

The computer itself, I prefer Mac though. It's nothing to do with me being a ****** or a hipster or any **** like that. It's personal preference.

I talked about having a Mac because it's what I have and what I have experience with, as a response to Dubinchuk's initial post about needing a new computer.

If you didn't intend this comment towards me:

Carry on, sir.
I was just talking in general, not at anyone in particular.

Old
04-24-2012, 08:02 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

AutoCAD on a Mac is pretty sick (just like most graphics type programs look good on Macs) but yeah, if you're doing heavy duty computing Mac's blow ass. Not to mention the price.

Old
04-24-2012, 08:57 PM
BabchukCanon

I used a PC in college for Chemical Engineering, but knew a few people who got by with Macs.

What's interesting is now I'm in the software business. I've switched to my Macbook Air I bought for doing graduate school on the road (but has sadly taken a back seat). I run a Windows VM on it and it's better than the Lenovo Thinkpad (Stinkpad really) that work gave me and was just awful. I know how to maintain a computer quite well, but anything I tried doing just screwed it up more. That said, I love the Macbook Air for work - I can do anything and everything I require (and I work with the mainframe, so that's kind of hard to believe when I first started configuring it. Macs are more expensive, but when you travel 100%, the form factor of <3lbs with power supply is far better than <7lbs with power supply when you find yourself twice a week running through airports (not related to engineering obviously).

tl;dr I've found that you can make either work with it, as long as you want them to. Macs running Virtual Windows images are in my opinion at times better than most Windows machines I've had to play with and I love the form factor. That said the $$$ is ridiculous.

Holy crap tl;dr again - $ > design in some cases; get what works for you.

Old
04-24-2012, 09:33 PM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

1.) Does this computer do exactly what I need it to do?
2.) Can I afford it?

If you can answer questions 1 and 2 in the affirmative, buy it. The great thing about computers these days is that when they **** the bed on what seems to be a predetermined time table of 1-3 years from the day you unbox it, you can sling the thing in the recycle pile and go buy a new one without feeling like you've been put over a barrel.

I love living in this century, where a fine computer sets us back very little, relatively speaking. A far cry from the days when I used to have to obsess and sweat over a 5 lb copy of Computer Shopper and try to figure out how much overtime I was going to have to work to afford one.

Old
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

I shan't get into the Mac/PC pissing contest except to say that I prefer to build my own systems whenever possible so that puts me squarely in the PC camp. My wife's a Mac fan but seeing as how Apple is moving towards less and less user-serviceability she's decided that her next laptop purchase will be a PC that she'll dual boot between Windows and some flavor of Linux.

On another note I start a new job on Monday working at UNC. Anybody have much experience commuting to Chapel Hill from Raleigh/N. Raleigh and any words of advice with regards o traffic and roads to particularly avoid?

Last edited by garnetpalmetto: 04-24-2012 at 10:49 PM.
Old
04-25-2012, 07:57 AM
normalpsychology

vCash: 511
what job did you get?

Closed Thread