HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

What makes this a successful season?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-03-2012, 09:43 AM
  #1
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
What makes this a successful season?

Does anything short of winning the Cup this year make this a successful season?

To me, if they make the WCF like they did in 08-09 I would be happy. I think they've found a few players that can really help going forward (Olsen and Shaw) and have really developed a few other guys (Stalberg and Leddy). If Bowman can fill a few holes over the summer, I think this team will be one of the 5 or 6 favorites to win the Cup next year just like they did in 09-10.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:06 AM
  #2
Fortyfives
Registered User
 
Fortyfives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 962
vCash: 500
To me its very important we improve on last year and build for a run over the next 3-5 years.

This means:

Have a better regular season record: Check
Get younger players experience: Check
Get out of the first round: Undetermined

While we have the front line talent to go far I still think the hawks need to develop more depth to go deep into the playoffs. After the first round the hawks would have to stay really healthy to go deep and that's just a dice roll. Its even harder now with the focus on concussions.

Fortyfives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:10 AM
  #3
Bubba88
Toews = Savior
 
Bubba88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bavaria
Country: Germany
Posts: 23,872
vCash: 500
make it past the 1st round is what we all should expect and nothing else this year and next (unless we magically sign Suter). After the 1st round, skill alone won't win you a series

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:16 AM
  #4
brtriad
Registered User
 
brtriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Loop
Country: United States
Posts: 13,004
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to brtriad
A beatdown of the Canucks/Blues/Red Wings and a trip to the WCF is a glowing success in my book.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:17 AM
  #5
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Last year was the only exception where the team shouldn't be expected to make the finals. The goal for this team is to make the finals every year while they have this core together and healthy. Winning in the finals, that's a big battle and you can't win them all.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:03 PM
  #6
BobbyJet
Registered User
 
BobbyJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Dundas, Ontario. Can
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,058
vCash: 500
/\ I agree. Stan has disappointed making the odds pretty long, but it can be done.

If they manage to escape from the 2nd round, things could get quite interesting, but thatís a big IF.

With Keith rested, and if Toews can come back and be 100 percent in the playoffs that could be the huge boost needed for this team to overachieve.

BobbyJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
  #7
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Agree with coldsteel and bobbyjet...do it or don't do it. Being an also-ran like San Jose is annually does nothing for me.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
  #8
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo
 
HockeySensible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\ I agree. Stan has disappointed making the odds pretty long, but it can be done.

If they manage to escape from the 2nd round, things could get quite interesting, but thatís a big IF.

With Keith rested, and if Toews can come back and be 100 percent in the playoffs that could be the huge boost needed for this team to overachieve.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:47 PM
  #9
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly
 
HawksFan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 15,201
vCash: 500
Stan did a decent job this year. He didn't mortgage the future for a high paid rental or put the Hawks in cap hell this year.

I don't think this team goes all the way due to questions in the net. It's also virtually impossible without home ice throughout the entire playoffs.

Frolik was obviously a bad decision. This team is a couple small pieces away from winning it all next year. Now if Crawford suddenly becomes the CC of old, watch out. Other question mark is how Toews plays when he returns and PP does anything average in playoffs.

This team still scored the most goals in the West with a horrible PP. The issue is they give up too many. Nobody could have predicted how bad goaltending and D would be.


Last edited by HawksFan74: 04-03-2012 at 12:54 PM.
HawksFan74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:49 PM
  #10
sketch22
Registered User
 
sketch22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,241
vCash: 2893
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
/\ I agree. Stan has disappointed making the odds pretty long, but it can be done.
I'll never understand why some of you hate on Bowman so much. The Hawks are guaranteed to finish at least 6th in the conference this year. They managed to secure that spot despite losing one of the best players in the world to injury for a month (Toews), losing Keith for 5 games, and the Hawks special teams is currently ranked in the bottom third of the league for both units. Bowman did his job, he built one of the most talented teams in the league.

If you want to hate on someone look no further than the coaching staff. If the Hawks special teams produced at the league average, not much of a stretch given the amount of talent on the roster, they would still be in the race for the division and conference lead.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:53 PM
  #11
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
I'll never understand why some of you hate on Bowman so much. The Hawks are guaranteed to finish at least 6th in the conference this year. They managed to secure that spot despite losing one of the best players in the world to injury for a month (Toews), losing Keith for 5 games, and the Hawks special teams is currently ranked in the bottom third of the league for both units. Bowman did his job, he built one of the most talented teams in the league.

If you want to hate on someone look no further than the coaching staff. If the Hawks special teams produced at the league average, not much of a stretch given the amount of talent on the roster, they would still be in the race for the division and conference lead.
They also lost Sharp for 8 games and Montador and Hjalmersson for over 20 games combined.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
  #12
Crazy_Ike
Cookin' with fire.
 
Crazy_Ike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Does anything short of winning the Cup this year make this a successful season?

To me, if they make the WCF like they did in 08-09 I would be happy. I think they've found a few players that can really help going forward (Olsen and Shaw) and have really developed a few other guys (Stalberg and Leddy). If Bowman can fill a few holes over the summer, I think this team will be one of the 5 or 6 favorites to win the Cup next year just like they did in 09-10.
Weeell, only one team can win the Cup so that's kind of unrealistic to be the ONLY measure. I'm happy if we put ourselves in a situation where we can be a relevant contender (not an also ran). I'm not convinced we've done that because I am not as enamored with the makeup of the team as some others here, but I'd be perfectly happy for the team to disprove it.

Of course there are things the team can do that ALWAYS makes it a successful year (at least these days). Eliminate Vancouver or Detoilet from the playoffs are a couple.

Crazy_Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:10 PM
  #13
DirkGraham
Registered User
 
DirkGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
I don't know what is acceptable anymore. Bowman put a lot of pieces in place and improved this team quite a bit over last year. As mentioned above, there have been some great youngsters coming out. But my main thoughts are in net.

After Crawford turned out to not be the goalie we were all expecting him to be (and after the Vancouver series, I thought he was all that moving forward), under the circumstances, an early playoff departure would be somewhat acceptable. Well maybe not acceptable, understandable would work better here. I guess based on this, my expectations are slightly lowered here.

I know that goaltending will win or lose you the cup and to go far in the playoffs you need a solid goalie that steals a game or two. I thought Crawford was that for us for many years moving forward. Until this is addressed, I cannot see us going very far in the post-season.

I really hope Crawford proves me wrong by the way! I have been one of his biggest supporters and hate throwing him under the bus but reality needs to set in at some point. Maybe The playoffs are where he really steps up his game! I would love nothing more than to hear that I was wrong here.

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:18 PM
  #14
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Ike View Post
Weeell, only one team can win the Cup so that's kind of unrealistic to be the ONLY measure. I'm happy if we put ourselves in a situation where we can be a relevant contender (not an also ran). I'm not convinced we've done that because I am not as enamored with the makeup of the team as some others here, but I'd be perfectly happy for the team to disprove it.

Of course there are things the team can do that ALWAYS makes it a successful year (at least these days). Eliminate Vancouver or Detoilet from the playoffs are a couple.
Knocking out Detroit and then Vancouver would make this season wildly successful even if they lost to Nashville next.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:21 PM
  #15
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Bowman has been a bit hit or miss in my eyes. His free agent acquisitions for the most part have not worked out. His drafting seems hit or miss. He did luck out with Saad turning it around, after passing on Saad 3 times. Andrew Shaw has been a huge success - kudos to Stan for that pick. Luckily he's had so many picks because of the cap sell-off, that it would be virtually impossible for him to not nail a few of them.

Time will tell. I hope my gut instinct on Stan is wrong obviously. And I still think it was wrong for the Hawks to fire Dale. He made mistakes, but he more than made up for those mistakes with what he built. We are still reaping the rewards from that. Including our leading goal scorer - who he fleeced the Flyers on in a trade for him.

In the end, my mistrust of Stan might be more because I'm annoyed that Dale got fired. That's not Stan's fault, but it is what it is.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
  #16
99 steps
to the top
 
99 steps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: RV, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Bowman has been a bit hit or miss in my eyes. His free agent acquisitions for the most part have not worked out. His drafting seems hit or miss. He did luck out with Saad turning it around, after passing on Saad 3 times. Andrew Shaw has been a huge success - kudos to Stan for that pick. Luckily he's had so many picks because of the cap sell-off, that it would be virtually impossible for him to not nail a few of them.

Time will tell. I hope my gut instinct on Stan is wrong obviously. And I still think it was wrong for the Hawks to fire Dale. He made mistakes, but he more than made up for those mistakes with what he built. We are still reaping the rewards from that. Including our leading goal scorer - who he fleeced the Flyers on in a trade for him.

In the end, my mistrust of Stan might be more because I'm annoyed that Dale got fired. That's not Stan's fault, but it is what it is.
Dale Tallon is living proof that you can have a plethora of draft picks and fail at 99% of them.

Anyone who doesn't see that Bowman is an upgrade over Tallon needs to have their head examined.

This team could have easily stunk last year after all of the changes that had to be made to fit under the cap. Instead, Stan put together a team that took the Western Conference champs to OT in Game 7.

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:32 PM
  #17
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
Dale Tallon is living proof that you can have a plethora of draft picks and fail at 99% of them.

Anyone who doesn't see that Bowman is an upgrade over Tallon needs to have their head examined.
He made up for that a lot with his trades. Whatever the means - if you build a Cup champ, as Dale did - then you did your job well.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
  #18
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Bowman has been a bit hit or miss in my eyes. His free agent acquisitions for the most part have not worked out. His drafting seems hit or miss. He did luck out with Saad turning it around, after passing on Saad 3 times. Andrew Shaw has been a huge success - kudos to Stan for that pick. Luckily he's had so many picks because of the cap sell-off, that it would be virtually impossible for him to not nail a few of them.

Time will tell. I hope my gut instinct on Stan is wrong obviously. And I still think it was wrong for the Hawks to fire Dale. He made mistakes, but he more than made up for those mistakes with what he built. We are still reaping the rewards from that. Including our leading goal scorer - who he fleeced the Flyers on in a trade for him.

In the end, my mistrust of Stan might be more because I'm annoyed that Dale got fired. That's not Stan's fault, but it is what it is.
Dale made some good trades but he was a horrific drafter and even worse managing the cap. Out of the 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 drafts, only Kane and Toews who were the #1 and #3 overall picks and Hjalmersson have turned out to be even decent NHL players. From 06-08 no player but Kane and Toews have played in more than 20 games. Plus lets not forget he wanted to resign Havlat instead of Hossa.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:41 PM
  #19
DirkGraham
Registered User
 
DirkGraham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Dale made some good trades but he was a horrific drafter and even worse managing the cap. Out of the 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 drafts, only Kane and Toews who were the #1 and #3 overall picks and Hjalmersson have turned out to be even decent NHL players. From 06-08 no player but Kane and Toews have played in more than 20 games. Plus lets not forget he wanted to resign Havlat instead of Hossa.
Havlat was great as a Blackhawk. Given that Hossa was a step up but I have nothing against how Havlat played when he was here!

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
  #20
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
He made up for that a lot with his trades. Whatever the means - if you build a Cup champ, as Dale did - then you did your job well.
Agreed, he got a lot of help from previous GM's though which is always glossed over.

Keith
Burrish
Seabrook
Byfuglien
Barker
Bolland
Dowell
Brouwer

were all already on the team. Dale's strokes of genius were the Ladd, Sharp and Versteeg trades.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
  #21
Sarava
Moderator
 
Sarava's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Naperville, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 8,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Dale made some good trades but he was a horrific drafter and even worse managing the cap. Out of the 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 drafts, only Kane and Toews who were the #1 and #3 overall picks and Hjalmersson have turned out to be even decent NHL players. From 06-08 no player but Kane and Toews have played in more than 20 games. Plus lets not forget he wanted to resign Havlat instead of Hossa.

I said he made a lot of mistakes. I'll also mention that I don't care if mistakes are made, if that leads to a cup win. As a fan - that's what this is all about. Win cups or don't win cups.

If Stan wants to bring us back in to cap hell...and it wins us another cup in the process - then do it. It's Rocky's money, not mine.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:42 PM
  #22
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGraham View Post
Havlat was great as a Blackhawk. Given that Hossa was a step up but I have nothing against how Havlat played when he was here!
Right, I liked Havlat but wanting him over Hossa because you are loyal to him is bad business and that summed up Tallon perfectly.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
  #23
coldsteelonice84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 24,579
vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
I'll never understand why some of you hate on Bowman so much. The Hawks are guaranteed to finish at least 6th in the conference this year. They managed to secure that spot despite losing one of the best players in the world to injury for a month (Toews), losing Keith for 5 games, and the Hawks special teams is currently ranked in the bottom third of the league for both units. Bowman did his job, he built one of the most talented teams in the league.

If you want to hate on someone look no further than the coaching staff. If the Hawks special teams produced at the league average, not much of a stretch given the amount of talent on the roster, they would still be in the race for the division and conference lead.
It's not hating on Bowman. We expect this team to come out of the West and don't agree with the course Bowman has chosen to get there this year. But that's on him, we don't have to agree or disagree but that doesn't change the result we are looking for. That hasn't changed since before July 1st for us. So, if we do come out of the West, I promise you that myself, Jet, Sarava and whoever else will be anxious to post that Bowman indeed knew what he was doing and he did indeed did enough to get the job done, even if he could have done more. Just produce that result and all is forgiven.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:58 PM
  #24
hawksfan50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,827
vCash: 500
1. Avoiding 9 game losing streaks!

2. Never blowing 4 goal leads!

3. Having goalies who can get 10 shutouts and save %'s above .930!

4. Not having $6.3million players go MIA from mid-Nov to March 1st...

5. Never having any players wearing #88 and #8 on the ice at the same time in the last 2 minutes of game trying to defend a 1 goal lead...
This is called Chinese bad luck awaiting...

6. Not having to face the Q-glare for more than 3 games in a row..

7. Not to give away games on sloppy line changes...

8. Not to climb too many moutaind down 2 or more gaols after the first period.

9. To be in the top 10 in the league on both special teams...

10. Not to lose any core player for 1/4 of the season...


Get all 10 accomplished and it will be a very successful season...I guarantee it.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 02:05 PM
  #25
MTP
I Love Shinpads
 
MTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Joliet, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,603
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MTP
If Crawford ups his game to the level that it was at last spring, a Conference Finals or even SCF berth isn't out of the question. Of course, it all depends on who we match up with.

MTP is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.