HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Most important FAs to sign

Old
04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

vCash: 500
Most important FAs to sign

Franson, Kulemin, Penner, Gaustad, Harding (IMO), Who do you think? And yes we all want Parise and Suter but no need to add those

Leafs For Life* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:52 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Gaustad?

Really?

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Slapshot17

I'd like to see Gaustad signed, but I don't know that Harding is any better than Reimer. They may have to fill the goalie position through trade or by getting an experienced backup to help out Reims. Not interested at all in Penner. I think some leadership from a guy like Jason Arnott or Sammy Pahlsson could also help. Shane Doan is likely a pipe dream but George Parros could fill the 4th line tough guy role better than anyone that we have.

Slapshot17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17 View Post
I'd like to see Gaustad signed, but I don't know that Harding is any better than Reimer. They may have to fill the goalie position through trade or by getting an experienced backup to help out Reims. Not interested at all in Penner. I think some leadership from a guy like Jason Arnott or Sammy Pahlsson could also help. Shane Doan is likely a pipe dream but George Parros could fill the 4th line tough guy role better than anyone that we have.
Harding seems to be alright so I put him in, Penner has a chance to rekindle under Burke on a 3rd line checking role which he would be suited for+Gaustad with the same+great faceoff percentage, Arnott I'm not sure but I think Pahlsson is signed for 2 years, I hope for Doan also as he would be real vet leadership that we need and Parros+Brown=Mustache Line even if the center is a Sidney Crosby pedo stache

Old
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
LeafsMonster
MeowLeafs is awesome

Kulemin and franson.

LeafsMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:05 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

RFAs: Franson, Frattin, Kulemin, Scrivens (top of my head)

UFAs: Kelly, Moen. --------- Parise/Suter.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:10 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
I won't count RFAs since no reason why they wouldn't be kept around and don't see anyone in our UFA pool that'd be a shame to lose. Well other than keeping Hamilton around for the Marlies.

Not sure about the FA pool. Going to be tough to sign anyone without possibly handing out another Komisarek....Armstrong....Connolly...contract. In net maybe someone like Biron could work. Have enough young goalies so maybe getting an older one to hold the fort might work. If we can't trade for a #1 will have to make due with what is there.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:21 PM
Leafsfan64

What about Marco Sturm, Joachen Hecht or Chris Kelley? Bring in some veteran leadership for our 3rd line.

Leafsfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:33 PM
AlmightyPO

I like the idea of adding Kelly, he's a solid Toronto bottom 6 player. I wouldn't expect the same numbers he is having now but 10-15 goals and 20-30 points would be fine.

I also am hoping we can grab Moen and maybe someone like Brunette. I do not expect us to be in the running for Parise or Suter.

AlmightyPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

This is all under the assumption that we can trade LACK, because if we cannot, than we have no room to sign any of these players.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Veterans but not like Armstrong or Connolly. Even better if we can acquire a veteran through another team who can be a good assistant captain.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 09:56 PM
Antropovsky

This team has some enormous holes to fill, in all positions. We need both quality top 6 and bottom 6 players.

TOP SIX: Suter, Parise, Kulemin

BOTTOM SIX: Gaustad, Moen, Kulemin

Ideal:

Lupul Grabovski Kessel
Parise Kadri Kulemin
Moen Gaustad Frattin
Orr Steckel Brown

Phaneuf Schenn
Gardiner Suter
Gunnarsson (prefer Schultz) Holzer\Komisarek

Reimer\Scrivens\Veteran

Here is a team that will beat you both on the fight card, and the scoreboard.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:12 PM
King William
Draft all the Swedes

Restricted Free Agents:

Nikolai Kulemin (2 year contract at $2.8M)
Matt Frattin (2-3 year contract at $1.8M)
Cody Franson (2-3 year contract at $1.8M)
Ben Scrivens (2 year NHL/AHL contract)

Unrestricted Free Agents:

Joey Crabb (do not sign, will likely want 1-way contract)
Jay Rosehill (do not sign)
Jonas Gustavsson (do not sign)

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Drew311
Whitey Whackers

Any half decent FA will go to the highest bidder. Hopefully Burke has learned from his mistakes and doesn't join in the madness. I think Harding makes the most sense, although there will probably be at least 5 teams bidding for his services.

Clarke MacArthur has been Burke's best signing. Why? Because he gave an underrated player a chance with a very affordable contract. This is something he should attempt again, rather than handcuffing the team for another 2 - 4 years with another garbage contract.

If they can get a guy like David Jones on a cheap, short term contract, I would prefer this route along with developing our own young players. Not signing overpaid veterans to take their places.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Leafs For Life*
Nothing

Just if we had AA of the *Lets go Blue Jays*(When there is a struggling young player, he shows up on the doorstep)

Last edited by Leafs For Life*: 04-02-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old
04-02-2012, 11:02 PM
ThreeHundred

Get some vets on this team that know how to lead and win
Burke will be very active.. I don't think he can survive another collapse like this year, he'll get eaten alive in Toronto

ThreeHundred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:18 PM
DeathToAllButMetal
Let it all burn.

Why keep Kulemin? I get that a lot of people here think this year was some kind of freak anomaly, but judging from the shooting pct last year, that was the anomaly. I don't see him ever getting close to 30 again. Signing him to around $3 mil seems like a tremendous risk. Could just duplicate what Burke did with Armstrong, paying a bottom-six a reasonable top-six salary.

The only way to move forward is to do something dramatic. Moving LACK, signing Gaustad, etc. won't help next year. Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Biggest thing to do is ditch Phaneuf. Aside from him being awful on the ice, he doesn't seem like much of a captain off the ice.

DeathToAllButMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
NaiveLeafsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddGillForever View Post
Why keep Kulemin? I get that a lot of people here think this year was some kind of freak anomaly, but judging from the shooting pct last year, that was the anomaly. I don't see him ever getting close to 30 again. Signing him to around $3 mil seems like a tremendous risk. Could just duplicate what Burke did with Armstrong, paying a bottom-six a reasonable top-six salary.
He's still infinitely more useful than Armstrong and there's always the possibility of him getting back to his 30 goal scoring ways. He'll probably get a short term contract too.

NaiveLeafsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 11:23 PM
Kyle Doobas*
#groovystats

vCash: 159
Re-sign RFAs/UFAs Kulemin, Rynnas, Frattin, Mueller, Franson, Holzer, Scrivens, Mikus, Hamilton.... possibly Crabb, Zigomanis & Rosehill.

I'd kick tires on guys like Pahlsson, Gaustad, Kelly, Moen, McClement, Tootoo, Winnik, Prust, Harding, Vokoun, Clemmensen... and perhaps even Whitney or Arnott. Anyone who can provide some grit, veteran leadership and stability up front on a short-term deal would be a welcome addition for me.

Kyle Doobas* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Kulemin, if no arbitration, Vokoun, Emery, Radulov are all guys I wanna see him pursue new deals for. If Phaneuf earns 6.5 Suter fetches similar for 5 years...are we going there? not without unloading Komi, Schenn and Lombardi or Army...

This is going to be a whirlwind offseason for Burke. Best to clear his schedule; no fishing trips, parades, guest appearances or speaking engagements until the ship is righted...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:43 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Parise or Suter would be amazing, see if Parise can play C

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Kelly would be nice but he's staying in Boston.

Move LACK

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 12:56 AM
BertCorbeau

Gaustad will be expensive, while I would like him.. Unless LACK and Mac all get moved, I wouldn't sign him.

BertCorbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:02 AM
Saul
S'all Good Man

Zigomanis. Hopefully we actually use him on the big club next year.
Daniel Winnik
Brandon Prust

We really need to put some pressure on the bottom 6 so they get more competitive for their roster spots.

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 01:06 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaiveLeafsFan View Post
He's still infinitely more useful than Armstrong and there's always the possibility of him getting back to his 30 goal scoring ways. He'll probably get a short term contract too.
Neither will be worth their salaries.

It's time we come to grips with what next season will entail, another huge disappointment. No sense in adding more useless salaries past this season.

The move asap/not extend group: Connolly, Lombardi,MacArthur,Armstrong,Kulemin,Komisarek

and that's just scratching the surface.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote