HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

A Hockey News poll reveals that 71 percent — that's 71 percent — questioned say they'

Closed Thread

Old
11-25-2004, 10:49 PM
tritone

vCash: 500
A Hockey News poll reveals that 71 percent — that's 71 percent — questioned say they'

A Hockey News poll reveals that 71 percent — that's 71 percent — questioned say they'd be happy to watch NHL replacement players.

(Taken from TSN.COM)

71% , sounds like replacements will be a comin

Old
11-25-2004, 11:10 PM
KOVALEV10*

WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS

Old
11-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
A Hockey News poll reveals that 71 percent — that's 71 percent — questioned say they'd be happy to watch NHL replacement players.

(Taken from TSN.COM)

I think this is a direct reflection of the general public anger directed towards the NHLPA more than anything else.

If I were a member of the NHLPA, I'd get pretty steamed if I lost my job to a scab.

Old
11-25-2004, 11:53 PM
Habbadasher

Bob Goodenow said that "it depends how you ask the questions as to what sort of anser you get on that question, other polls indicate that the public supports the players". I'm paraphrasing, but that is essentially what he said when informer of these poll results.

These guys just don't get it, they think they are bigger than the game, no one is bigger than the game.

Old
11-25-2004, 11:55 PM
crakced

Bring the replacements on. Screw the NHLPA, we all just want hockey again...this would be one way to start the ball rolling.

Old
11-26-2004, 01:34 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Only one thing bugs me with that ''Solution''...
What if the replacement Habs stink....?

Old
11-26-2004, 01:55 AM
CHareth

I don't understand the assumption that replacement players will necessarily mean a totally sucky product to watch. The players are obviously a major part of the attraction of the NHL, but this is an entertainment business, and the players can only do so much. The package needs some slick marketing and good business management to sell itself. Not *too* long ago, some of the best players in the world were playing in the Soviet Union and unknown to us while some lesser talents were recognizable names to us. Why? Because the NHL was the best at selling its hockey product to us. And the NHL had the Stanley Cup. So long as the NHL has the business exerience, sales and marketing resources, and star power of the Stanley Cup, I think it will be able to do a good job of selling its hockey product regardless of who the players are. I can't see every single replacement player busting out into a boring, crappy player. Remember too that the NHL has the best coaches and scouts in terms of player development. Who's to say that some of these replacements will not turn out to be outstanding players under such conditions?

I certainly hope we don't ever reach that stage when replacement players are actually being seriously considered (labor issues aside). But I don't think the NHL will fall apart if we see replacements. In fact, I'd say the current players have more to worry about than the NHL if replacement players ever become a reality. Are the current crop of NHLers so incredibly unified that they will all go play in some other league(s)? Who's going to market their star power? Who's going to coach them?

Old
11-26-2004, 07:34 AM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

Only thing that worries me about replacement players is the "after the war" NHL if those replacement players are prospects of ours.

Unity is important for a team's success. What if a given number of scab players in the team when the league settles the conflict remain with the Habs? It's easy to assume the NHLPA players coming back will have nothing but hate and disgust for those guys.

You can't play like that. This is never going to be a team again unless all the scabs are one timer guys that will never play for us again. But you certainly don't want to see the Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Perezhogin, etc. be tagged with the scab label for the rest of their careers and as such despised by their teammates and NHLPA members.

Old
11-26-2004, 08:26 AM
saskhab

I'd likely watch replacement players on TV, but to suggest they are worth anything more than minor league prices at the gate is ridiculous.

Old
11-26-2004, 08:51 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett
If I were a member of the NHLPA, I'd get pretty steamed if I lost my job to a scab.
More or less steamed than the guys in European/minor leagues that lost their jobs to locked out NHL'ers?

11-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSTRAK
Only one thing bugs me with that ''Solution''...
What if the replacement Habs stink....?
Well if we suck, we'll finish close to last, hopefully win the draft lottery and get Crosby.

Old
11-26-2004, 10:44 AM
CH74

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS
Thank you for letting me know your opinion

I don't follow Theodore, Koivu, Jagr or Thornton. What I love is hockey, what I really love is the CANADIENS.

Replacement players or "scab" for those who don't like them? Bring em' on, and fast!!!

Old
11-26-2004, 10:46 AM
ForsbergForever
Red Rocket

the problem with replacements is that the strength of teams will be virtually arbitraary, for all we know a replacement Detroit team could be the worst in league and Washington could be the best. Although this might not necessarily be a bad thing, for teams to flip in the standings, it destroys everything good organizations have worked for, like the Habs. Powerhouse teams and teams building towards being a contender will see that respectability erased, every team's strength will be almost luck of the draw. This may be fine for weak clubs but stronger ones will feel the burn and I for one do not want to see my team reduced to where they were 5 years ago just because they start calling minor leaguers "pros".

Old
11-26-2004, 11:24 AM
wedge

I don't care about that poll, because it has been made with suscribers of the hockey news, who are hardcore hockey fans. The ordinary fan probably won't watch replacement players.

I would, only if about 25% of the NHLers would be crossing the line.. that would give us some decent hockey...and other NHLers would follow later.

Old
11-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Bulldog fan
Timmy Dogs Alum 1999

I think what the 71% meant was, yeah, I'd watch a game and if I liked it, I would watch more games. If it wasn't good hockey that would be the only game I would watch.
In other words, 71% would give scab hockey a look at least.

Old
11-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Nyclaus

Well this goes against every fiber of my being but...

I have to "endorse" the scab use in THIS CASE.

NHLPA

Old
11-26-2004, 12:36 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
WHAT A BUNCH OF MORONS
That's you're opinion buddy...

I'm not for it too but everybody can have there opinion on the subject ya know...

Old
11-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
More or less steamed than the guys in European/minor leagues that lost their jobs to locked out NHL'ers?
Its simply a business. If the NHL'ers who cross over to European teams are better than those guys who loose their jobs, than tough luck go become a baker or a car salesman. To compete for a job you have to be good enough to keep it. If some guy was better at selling coffee at Timmy's than me even though I had the job first, it doesn't change the fact that he is selling more and making more business for Tim Horton's.

I don't see scabs playing for the NHL anytime soon because it would involve to many problems: does the team who wins the cup really deserve it? If the NHLPA agrees on a salary cap or whatever type of CBA, how could we send all of the scabs back down to the farm teams when there are people in the scabs' old spots? It creates an unwanted rippled effect. On the other side, it would probably bring back several NHL regulars. Fans are obviously desperate for hockey and polls don't count for much these days.

Old
11-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Hey, dont get me wrong, I'm not favoring the players. I could care less if they get steamed... all I'm saying is the truth.... the players would get pretty ticked losing a job to replacements.

Old
11-28-2004, 10:02 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
So if the AHL players put on an NHL jersey, people will start caring about this level of hockey??

Old
11-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
So if the AHL players put on an NHL jersey, people will start caring about this level of hockey??
We already do! Look at the Hamilton game-day threads. Now if you get every Bulldogs game on TV, get them broadcast en francais on RDS, etc, then it's a slam dunk. Ellis would be making a huge wave on the call-in shows. Etc.

Old
11-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Mooch

Send a message via MSN to Mooch
well im the 29% who would be against it. You cant just "replace" the worlds finest.........

Old
11-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
We already do! Look at the Hamilton game-day threads. Now if you get every Bulldogs game on TV, get them broadcast en francais on RDS, etc, then it's a slam dunk. Ellis would be making a huge wave on the call-in shows. Etc.
I think RDS has probably made survey before chosing to present us La Caravane (worst.hockey.ever) before any Junior or AHL games. There is also nothing in the newspapers about the AHL. Us, hockey freaks, are exception in the normal world.

I think the people wants to express their support to the owner in the survey.

Old
11-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
well im the 29% who would be against it. You cant just "replace" the worlds finest.........
I dont think anyone is arguing with your point.

What the scabs will do, however, is force the NHLPA's hand. Right now, nothing is forcing the NHLPA's hand.

Its going to get a whole lot uglier before it gets any better.

Old
11-30-2004, 05:14 AM
habsfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone

(Taken from TSN.COM)

They forgot to poll me, my entire family and a single one of my friends... maybe they were asking people at the baseball game?

These polls are a joke...

Closed Thread