HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

R.J. Umberger Question

Closed Thread

Old
11-21-2004, 08:00 AM
IAMCANADIAN

vCash: 500
R.J. Umberger Question

R.J. has been playing really well as of late. I'd like to now if the Phantoms left him at "center" or have they moved him to the wing? If he's still at "center" I'd assume he's #2 behind Sharp.

Thanks

Old
11-21-2004, 09:23 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN
R.J. has been playing really well as of late. I'd like to now if the Phantoms left him at "center" or have they moved him to the wing? If he's still at "center" I'd assume he's #2 behind Sharp.

Thanks
Yes, he the number two center behind Patrick Sharp. His good play allowed the Phantoms to move Peter White, a center, for John Sim, a winger.

Old
11-21-2004, 10:06 AM
Rex88

There has been talk and speculation about him moving to wing.
There is certainly more need at that spot in the very near future. I see both he and Sharp at the wing at the next level unless they are at the fourth line duty.
Any thoughts on a move to the wing now or at the next level??
Potulny, Carter, and Richards all seem like guys we would like to keep up the middle and Zues and Prims as well who are signed for some time.

Old
11-21-2004, 11:08 AM
blah

In the NHL Sharp is a RW. Not sure about Umberger, but I do agree that a switch to wing would be best.

Old
11-21-2004, 01:17 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Nah, Umberger would definately stay at center while Potulny moves to wing (speculation.) Primeau is only around for four more years and he's already 32 or 33. I'd image that we'll have a different captain by the time Potulny comes around.

Old
11-21-2004, 01:32 PM
fan mao rong

Phantoms 2nd line: Jon Sim-R.J. Umberger-Tony Voce

Old
11-21-2004, 06:25 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Nah, Umberger would definately stay at center while Potulny moves to wing (speculation.) Primeau is only around for four more years and he's already 32 or 33. I'd image that we'll have a different captain by the time Potulny comes around.
How do you figure Umberger stays at center?

Old
11-21-2004, 10:27 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
When you consider the depth of skill playing at center compared to right wing it pales in comparison. In the next five years I guarantee we will be without Amonte, Leclair, Knuble, and/or Stevenson. We lost our leading scorer Mark Recchi and the soon to be the ones that are supposed to step up. Potulny is supposed to be another suprising pick skillwise and Umberger is just going to add to the depth of center. I mean we already have three talented centers what's the purpose in having THAT much depth in one position when other ones for instance are already thinning out i.e. defence.

Old
11-22-2004, 09:53 AM
Jester

so as of right now you got...

Zhamnov(?)
Roenick(2 yrs left right?)
Primeau(4 yrs)
Zeus(not that old... Clarkie will keep him around)
Sharp
Umberger
Carter
Richards
Potulny

so... it's safe to say that of the young guys, not all of them will make the NHL as centers/flyers. just the way it is with prospects. maybe they'll shift, i believe Hitch has said that Sharp is a winger in the NHL... somewhat confused why they wouldn't give him time at the wing with the phantoms if this is the case, but at least he's playing. looking at Potulny's early line at Minnesota, it seems he's more of a shooter than a playmaker... so would make sense for him to be a strong candidate to move to the wing if/when he ends up in the fold. i wouldn't be shocked if one of Umberger, Carter, and Richards ended up at the wing as well. Richards sounds like someone more likely to stay just because of the type of role he seems to be more likely to fill (solid in the circle, strong positionally, so on and so forth).

it will really come down to what these guys show whenever they get here, and what the situation is at the position when they arrive. if Carter was to sign and be playing in the NHL right away and we have Zhamnov, Roenick, Primeau, and Zeus all in the orange and black, i would sort of expect him to play at the wing with us.

i can't wait to HAVE that problem to think about... hopefully sooner than later.

Old
11-23-2004, 03:23 PM
renberg

I wouldn't count on Roeneck being around when the Flyers go back to the ice. Players that irritate BC usually go bye-bye real fast.

Old
11-23-2004, 07:41 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by renberg
I wouldn't count on Roeneck being around when the Flyers go back to the ice. Players that irritate BC usually go bye-bye real fast.
I think you are wrong here.
Yes, he may have ticked off BC but after this year he has one year left on his contract and financially it is best to keep him for one year. Replacing JR would be costly and difficult.

Old
11-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Flyers_UK

JR will either not be back, or can play wing. He mentioned he was happy doing so.

Zhamnov is only getting older, he probably won't be back, and Hitch also mentioned he could play wing.

Prims is a rock at 3rd, and Zeus can play 1st (if needed) or 2nd maybe leaving slots for the kids at 2nd and 4th.

I've a feeling the Flyers want both Carter and Richards to stay at center, and a year in the AHL for Richards wouldn't be an embarssment. Sharp at wing would leave a slot for Umberger at 4th, if he pans out. I definatly see Potulny at wing.

So we've got some kind of Gagne-Zeus-JR line and the Primeau line soaking up time for 2nd and 4th to chip in and develop, which is how Hitch likes it, anyway.

I should say I see Leclair and Amonte gone, and how to fit in Brash, Stevenson, Knuble, Fedoruk, Somik, Radio, i don't know.

Sorry for the rambling, people.

Old
11-24-2004, 11:03 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
I can't see Zhamnov going anywhere. He's the only one that actually fed Gagne the puck, and Clarkie is dying to see what Gagne can really do in an offensive role.
I would be able to see a Kapanen-Primeau-Knuble checking/grinding/energy line... That line gives speed, physical play, defensive prowess, cycling down low and just plain wearing the opposition out.
Guys I could see making the big club would be Sharp and Umberger, Carter with an outside shot (no pro experience is a drawback in Hitch's system). Sharp as a winger and Umberger as a centre since he has good size and a very balanced skillset (from what I've seen/heard).

Old
11-24-2004, 06:00 PM
FlyersFan10*

RJ's play has really picked up as of late. Right now, it seems that signing RJ has been a stroke of genius by Bobby Clarke. Of course, we need to see how RJ does over the course of a full season. I think the most he played in college was like 40 - 45 games and he sat out most of last year as well. Either way, I haven't been disappointed with RJ and I think he's cemented himself as a future second line centerman on the team or maybe first line winger with probably Gagne and Carter. I personally wouldn't mind seeing RJ on the second line with a winger like Eager to do all the banging and Ruzicka to do the goal scoring.

Old
11-24-2004, 06:08 PM
RoDu

Could Clarke have gone out to sign RJ, incase we loose Carter or Richards back into the draft?

Old
11-24-2004, 07:32 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
Could Clarke have gone out to sign RJ, incase we loose Carter or Richards back into the draft?
NO R.J was signed IMO because we didn't have a first round pick in this past draft.

Old
11-24-2004, 07:58 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
NO R.J was signed IMO because we didn't have a first round pick in this past draft.
RJ was signed because both Vancouver and the New York Rangers dropped the ball with him. Vancouver low balled him on his rookie contract and Sather pulled an untypical Sather move and let him go so that he could get a 2nd round draft pick as compensation in a rather weak draft.

Old
11-24-2004, 08:04 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan10
RJ was signed because both Vancouver and the New York Rangers dropped the ball with him. Vancouver low balled him on his rookie contract and Sather pulled an untypical Sather move and let him go so that he could get a 2nd round draft pick as compensation in a rather weak draft.
Agreed, combine that with no #1 pick and bingo. Grab a good young player without giving up any assets.

Old
11-24-2004, 08:07 PM
FlyersFan10*

Quote:
Agreed, combine that with no #1 pick and bingo. Grab a good young player without giving up any assets.
Definitely agreed. Still would have liked the 1st round pick from this year's draft. Robbie Schremp would look in the Orange and Black. A kid with a bit of 'tude, almost a young version of JR. Probably drive Hitch nuts....

Old
11-24-2004, 09:37 PM
blah

Why do people assume the Flyers would have taken Schremp if they kept their pick?

Old
11-24-2004, 09:40 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
Why do people assume the Flyers would have taken Schremp if they kept their pick?
I don't. I think the Flyers would have taken a defenseman, or used that pick and a few of their later picks to move up in the draft.

Old
11-24-2004, 10:41 PM
Blindside9711

I would have loved to see Schremp in a Flyers uniform. There's one prime reason why people are saying the Flyers would have drafted Robbie (whether right or wrong). He was taken with the Flyers' pick. Clarkie's gone off the board in drafts recently with guys like Carter and Richards but with someone like Schremp available, I'm not sure why you pass him up if you're taking the usual late-first-round-select-the-best-player-available standpoint. In my opinion, he'll mature with age and his skating will get better over time and he'll be a very very good offensive contributor for a long time.

Old
11-25-2004, 01:06 PM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
There's one prime reason why people are saying the Flyers would have drafted Robbie (whether right or wrong). He was taken with the Flyers' pick.
That's wrong though. I don't think they would have given him much consideration either.

Old
11-26-2004, 03:12 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't. I think the Flyers would have taken a defenseman, or used that pick and a few of their later picks to move up in the draft.
I agree, im sure he wanted to find a prospect to replace Woywitka. That is one deal im sure Clarke regrets making.

Old
11-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Blindside9711

Quote:
Originally Posted by blah
That's wrong though. I don't think they would have given him much consideration either.
Probably, I'm just saying that because he was taken with the Flyers' pick, alot of people automatically think the Flyers would have taken him if he lasted that long again. I'll tell you this though, Edmonton got a steal.

Closed Thread