HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Hockey Fights
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Fights Discuss and rate hockey fights and fighters of today and from the past. Videos welcome!

Is John Scott the best P4P fighter in the NHL?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-29-2010, 10:04 PM
  #1
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Is John Scott the best P4P fighter in the NHL?

After reading some of the threads here, it seems P4P is something thrown around alot when it comes to Rick Rypien.

After Rypien got beat down earlier this year, and the whole fan assault thing, the luster has seemed to faded upon poor Rick.

Enter the nu model- Big John Scott.

As a fighter, nobody with the exception of Boogy has the size/reach combo to go along with the heavy fists BJS has. His chin, if questioned before was tested yesterday with a huge bomb by Janssens, and passed with flying colors.

So far he is undefeated in the NHL, and I give mad props to anybody who can draw him or actually drop the gloves with him. Has he fought true heavies? He will soon enough, but Rypien stayed away from heavies his entire career until this year and was pounced on mercilessly when he did. This wont be the case with Scott.

I have no choice by to say P4P, BJS is the best.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:09 PM
  #2
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 8,789
vCash: 8981
P4P? No that would be Deryk Engelland. He's 6'2" 202lbs, fights guys much larger and wins.

Best Fighter? Maybe.

Sideline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:18 PM
  #3
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
After reading some of the threads here, it seems P4P is something thrown around alot when it comes to Rick Rypien.

After Rypien got beat down earlier this year, and the whole fan assault thing, the luster has seemed to faded upon poor Rick.

Enter the nu model- Big John Scott.

As a fighter, nobody with the exception of Boogy has the size/reach combo to go along with the heavy fists BJS has. His chin, if questioned before was tested yesterday with a huge bomb by Janssens, and passed with flying colors.

So far he is undefeated in the NHL, and I give mad props to anybody who can draw him or actually drop the gloves with him. Has he fought true heavies? He will soon enough, but Rypien stayed away from heavies his entire career until this year and was pounced on mercilessly when he did. This wont be the case with Scott.

I have no choice by to say P4P, BJS is the best.

I don't get what you're saying. You know what P4P means? Seems not. John Scott wins his fights thanks to his reach and strength. If he was the best P4P he would have destroyed Winchester, Koci and Janssen.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:21 PM
  #4
yohan1212
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
If you mean pound for pound which it seems you are, the answer is an exclamational HELL NO.. he is only decent because he is so big. put anyone of orr, thornton, engellan, Rypien, Neil, (the list goes on) in his body, they are far more dominant than scott.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:24 PM
  #5
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
P4P? No that would be Deryk Engelland. He's 6'2" 202lbs, fights guys much larger and wins.

Best Fighter? Maybe.
Well, one thing about Engelland is that he wanted no part of Scott and then took on Dowell who is a gamer. Dowell obviously lost but not without splitting Deryk open.

I give him props for being smart when it comes to choices.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:24 PM
  #6
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,699
vCash: 500
I don't know. Who has he beat that has any significance? List the top 10 heavyweights. How many has he even fought? Guys like Koci, Westgarth, Parros and Stortini have heavyweight size but are kind of in that 2nd tier of heavyweights.

Maybe I'll come across as a homer but I don't know how you can put him ahead of someone like MacIntyre. He's fought Boogaard 3 times and a lot of people would say he's 1-1-1 in those fights. He also has wins against Orr, Belak and Brashear.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:26 PM
  #7
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
I don't get what you're saying. You know what P4P means? Seems not. John Scott wins his fights thanks to his reach and strength. If he was the best P4P he would have destroyed Winchester, Koci and Janssen.
He did destroy Koci and Janssen.

Rypien was deemed P4P yet didnt "destroy" opponents, Eager comes to mind quick, Neil also.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:28 PM
  #8
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
If you mean pound for pound which it seems you are, the answer is an exclamational HELL NO.. he is only decent because he is so big. put anyone of orr, thornton, engellan, Rypien, Neil, (the list goes on) in his body, they are far more dominant than scott.
But they are not.

Scott hasnt lost a fight yet.

Its hard not to say he isnt P4P best atm.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:29 PM
  #9
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
I don't know. Who has he beat that has any significance? List the top 10 heavyweights. How many has he even fought? Guys like Koci, Westgarth, Parros and Stortini have heavyweight size but are kind of in that 2nd tier of heavyweights.

Maybe I'll come across as a homer but I don't know how you can put him ahead of someone like MacIntyre. He's fought Boogaard 3 times and a lot of people would say he's 1-1-1 in those fights. He also has wins against Orr, Belak and Brashear.
Fair enough, but I dont see too many of those guys trying Scott.

And when did Rypien fight a top heavy before he was deemed P4P best?

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:34 PM
  #10
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate
 
Allen Degenerate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver
Country: Albania
Posts: 5,568
vCash: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
He did destroy Koci and Janssen.

Rypien was deemed P4P yet didnt "destroy" opponents, Eager comes to mind quick, Neil also.
Scott is one of (if not the) heaviest guys in the league. He'd have to be on a whole different level to be considered for P4P best. You know what the term means, right?

Allen Degenerate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 10:44 PM
  #11
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
Scott is one of (if not the) heaviest guys in the league. He'd have to be on a whole different level to be considered for P4P best. You know what the term means, right?
Sure. But his size being considered, he has beaten everybody and drew twice so far this year.He hasnt lost.

Just because he is bigger has no bearing on him being P4P best when nobody else is undefeated regardless of size.

Scotts pretty much the flagship fighter in the league atm.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:03 PM
  #12
ThorNton Apologist
Jumbo needs a cup
 
ThorNton Apologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Cali
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
Well, one thing about Engelland is that he wanted no part of Scott and then took on Dowell who is a gamer. Dowell obviously lost but not without splitting Deryk open.

I give him props for being smart when it comes to choices.
Engelland is an open style fighter. so he is open to get tagged as well. He is actually listed at 6''2' 197. for him to fight Scott would not be the greatest idea. Look at Scott vs Janssen. Cam is VERY talented fighter and he didnt stand a chance against the much bigger Scott. P4P i would say Engelland is the toughest SOB in the league. Look at him vs Orr. The somewhat questionable heavyweight champ of the league. to call scott the best P4P fighter is a joke. When has he fought anyone his size? If he were to take on the likes of Boogaard, MacIntyre he would get thrashed. I think its hilarious all the love Scott gets when really he is just a HUGE guy with very mediocre fighting skills

ThorNton Apologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:04 PM
  #13
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
Fair enough, but I dont see too many of those guys trying Scott.

And when did Rypien fight a top heavy before he was deemed P4P best?
Well...Rypien was going out and beating guys a lot bigger than him. Guys his own size wouldn't even consider fighting him. Scott still hasn't fought anyone on his level yet. To even get consideration as the best pounnd for pound fighter Scott would need to beat guys like MacIntyre, Boogaard, Orr, Belak and Godard.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:05 PM
  #14
Garl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
He did destroy Koci and Janssen.

Rypien was deemed P4P yet didnt "destroy" opponents, Eager comes to mind quick, Neil also.
Wrong on both accounts. Scott didn't destroy Koci and Janssen. Both fights were a narrow win for Scott who is much bigger than Janssen and not much but still bigger than Koci.

And Rypien fought and won fights vs opponents much bigger than himself.

Quote:
But they are not.

Scott hasnt lost a fight yet.

Its hard not to say he isnt P4P best atm.
It really seems that you don't understand what P4P stands for. Because this answer doesn't make any sense.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:11 PM
  #15
yohan1212
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
But they are not.

Scott hasnt lost a fight yet.

Its hard not to say he isnt P4P best atm.
the question is best P4P. Yeah scott has beaten some decent guys (no legit top 5 guys), but the reason he beats them is his size. He is no wheres close top P4P. He is good because of his size. start talking pound for pound, he is no wheres near top.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM
  #16
Wheatking
Registered User
 
Wheatking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
the question is best P4P. Yeah scott has beaten some decent guys (no legit top 5 guys), but the reason he beats them is his size. He is no wheres close top P4P. He is good because of his size. start talking pound for pound, he is no wheres near top.
Exactly. For a heavyweight to even get consideration he needs to be a guy like George Laraque...someone that destroyed every super heavyweight with just average size(by HW standards).

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:15 PM
  #17
Analyzer*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,971
vCash: 50
John Scott is like 260. Engelland is better.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:22 PM
  #18
GOB Bluth
Registered User
 
GOB Bluth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 572
vCash: 500
I'm not sure you understand what P4P means.

GOB Bluth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:26 PM
  #19
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Wrong on both accounts. Scott didn't destroy Koci and Janssen. Both fights were a narrow win for Scott who is much bigger than Janssen and not much but still bigger than Koci.
Wrong. Scott destroyed Koci. He also rag dolled Janssens the first time they fought this year, smiling when Janssens hit him in the face. Last nights game was still a Scott win even with Cam dropping two bombs that didnt do anything but make Scott mad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
And Rypien fought and won fights vs opponents much bigger than himself.
Many of whom were not fighters. He lost to Eager last year and was beat down by Staubitz this year, hardly heavies.I can say Scott would beat both easily.And it has very little to do with size, Scott just a better fighter with an iron chin.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
It really seems that you don't understand what P4P stands for. Because this answer doesn't make any sense.
It does on account of Scott has not lost yet in the NHL.

His size and reach shouldnt be use against him just to nit pick a title onto certain fanbases tough guys.

Anderson Silva is the best P4P fighter in MMA, make him bigger or smaller and he dominates any weight division he is in.

BJS is no different.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:27 PM
  #20
NCPokey
Registered User
 
NCPokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 496
vCash: 500
The whole point of a pound-for-pound debate is to see who you think would be the best fighter if weight class wasn't a factor. Of course John Scott would beat up a guy like Rypien, he's almost a foot taller and probably 80 pounds heavier.

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:29 PM
  #21
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yohan1212 View Post
the question is best P4P. Yeah scott has beaten some decent guys (no legit top 5 guys), but the reason he beats them is his size. He is no wheres close top P4P. He is good because of his size. start talking pound for pound, he is no wheres near top.
Wait, so his actual fighting skills mean nothing?

As for legit top 5 guys, who has Rypien beat thats a legit top 5?

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:30 PM
  #22
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
John Scott is like 260. Engelland is better.
He also skated away from Scott this year.

Not once, but twice in the same game.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:34 PM
  #23
cardiffgiant
Dont call him Beavis
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,398
vCash: 50
You only talk about pound for pound when you want to equate the skill of a smaller player with that of someone in another class of weight/size.

In order to be the better fighter P4P, Scott would have to have exceptional fighting skill that would translate to a frame of any size. Has anyone really seen that from him? I haven't. And why would you? The be a successful fighter he has to capitalize on his obvious strengths (i.e. being a freakin giant).

cardiffgiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:35 PM
  #24
Reve4Shab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Quebec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache feeling View Post
It does on account of Scott has not lost yet in the NHL.

His size and reach shouldnt be use against him just to nit pick a title onto certain fanbases tough guys.

Anderson Silva is the best P4P fighter in MMA, make him bigger or smaller and he dominates any weight division he is in.

BJS is no different.
That's where you're wrong, you think the Scott would have destroyed Janssen if he had the same size/weight then him? if Scott would have been 8 inches smaller and 35 pound lighters, the fight vs. Janssen would have been totally different. Could he still win? maybe but would he destroy him the same way he just did? no way.

So yes his size should be used against him. The reason Silva is one of the best P4P is his technique, not his size, the reason Scott wins all his fight is his size.

PS: GSP is best P4P

Reve4Shab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2010, 11:44 PM
  #25
Flapjack*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: My kinda town
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reve4Shab View Post
That's where you're wrong, you think the Scott would have destroyed Janssen if he had the same size/weight then him? if Scott would have been 8 inches smaller and 35 pound lighters, the fight vs. Janssen would have been totally different. Could he still win? maybe but would he destroy him the same way he just did? no way.

So yes his size should be used against him. The reason Silva is one of the best P4P is his technique, not his size, the reason Scott wins all his fight is his size.
Scott has no technique?
He has an iron chin, great balance, and stamina to the point that he stops the fights so he doesnt hurt the person he is fighting. How would that change if he was smaller? Or would any of these things not matter? It makes no sense.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Reve4Shab View Post
PS: GSP is best P4P
Once Silva retires.

Flapjack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.