HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hurry back Myers and Ehrhoff...

Old
04-04-2012, 01:15 AM
ProstheticConscience
Kunst

vCash: 500
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK Sulzer.

Who knew the guy could play hockey?

-----------------------------------------

GJ, Sabres. Will be pulling for you guys if you make the dance.

ProstheticConscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:18 AM
Kyndig86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

I've loved Sulzer while hes been here. He had a questionable game defensively today though he made up for it offensively imo....but pretty much our entire D has been questionable without Ehrhoff and Myers so w/e.

Thought the guy would never see NHL time and hes been awesome if not moreso than Hodgson who is also pretty damn good and only getting better.

Oh and thanks, its been one hell of a roller coaster ride this year and its not over yet

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post

Canucks fans were pretty adamant in their bashing of him when he departed. I didn't understand it, considering the sample size was twelve games large... But then again...I wouldn't mask my distaste for Gragnani if you paid me to, and his sample size wasn't four seasons large, either, if you catch my drift....

But yeah, safe to say that Sulzer has far surpassed every single person's expectations by a longshot. He will have his brain farts on the back end - see: tonight - but has brought a generally safe and sound game to the team, with a tad bit of offensive contribution and assisting in pushing the puck up ice. You have seen him evolve in our system, too. He sees how we like our defenseman to pinch, join the rush, act as the fourth forward on the fast break rushes into the zone... As the games go by, he ups his contributions in that regard, and he seems to enjoy playing that kind of style that allows you to take a chance.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:41 AM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Fact: The last time the Sabres lost the home portion of a home and home with Toronto, it was 1970.

Thanks for the tidbit Jumbotron.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:42 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltTagonTough View Post
Fact: The last time the Sabres lost the home portion of a home and home with Toronto, it was 1970.

Thanks for the tidbit Jumbotron.
wow

Old
04-04-2012, 01:43 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Deleted

Old
04-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Wisent42

Good:
- Foligno
- The comeback
- Two points

Bad:
- Me falling asleep thus missing the comeback

Ugly:
- Most of the goals. Butt ugly, but they count.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 05:39 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogtownSabresfan View Post
I watched it three times. Ref is right on it. There's nothing defensive. It just went on forever but that's no excuse to call it dead. Happens in corner all the time and no one cares.
Good, I'm glad they made the right call, and I'm also glad that you guys have the ability to leap into a refs body and possess his line of sight during a 20 second scrum. Next time just possess his mind and get us a few more calls!

Play4Miracles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:37 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
Good, I'm glad they made the right call, and I'm also glad that you guys have the ability to leap into a refs body and possess his line of sight during a 20 second scrum. Next time just possess his mind and get us a few more calls!
It was obvious that the goalie never had the puck the entire time that it was over there...THAT'S why the call is so easy to make that the whistle shouldn't have blown....but since your arguing the point still I'm going to assume that you don't know that the whistle doesn't get blown unless the ref thinks the goalie covered it up....as per the rules of the nhl.

Also Kassian is playing minimal 4th line sheltered minutes (like 8 per game) and still being lazy as ever....so to your point earlier about how your rather have kassian over leino....I wouldn't....the guy can't even crack the top nine as the only power forward on arguably the smallest softest team in the league....what does that tell you?

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 06:54 AM
barcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogoaltrop View Post
Please Foligno , where ever komisarek plays next year, please remember this game.

Payback will come.
Eh, doubt Foligno will see much time in the minors next year to give Komi payback.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:38 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
It was obvious that the goalie never had the puck the entire time that it was over there...THAT'S why the call is so easy to make that the whistle shouldn't have blown....but since your arguing the point still I'm going to assume that you don't know that the whistle doesn't get blown unless the ref thinks the goalie covered it up....as per the rules of the nhl.

Also Kassian is playing minimal 4th line sheltered minutes (like 8 per game) and still being lazy as ever....so to your point earlier about how your rather have kassian over leino....I wouldn't....the guy can't even crack the top nine as the only power forward on arguably the smallest softest team in the league....what does that tell you?
OR if the ref loses sight of the puck...which I dont know about you but I lost sight of the puck on tv and lost it on all the replays...I don't know how the ref saw the puck. I guess their sight is fine.

Why couldn't Mr. Mike Foligno make more kids? Seriously, Marcus is exactly the type of hockey player you need for the playoffs. 2 more players like him sprinkled in the top 9 and we might have a decent team...

What I like about Sulzers game was the fact he had a baaaad game, yet he made it a mission he was not gonna be the reason we lost. He made sure he was gonna make up for the weak goals he was on for.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Dubi Doo

Good:
The crowd. I haven't heard them that loud in a long time.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:55 AM
gallagt01

Bad, or so it appeared bad: How does Foligno get a penalty for interference on the hit prior to his fight?

Did Bozak not play the puck? It certainly looked like he did.

(didn't see in real-time. missed the first and second)

Last edited by gallagt01: 04-04-2012 at 08:11 AM.
gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:22 AM
BowieSabresFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
OR if the ref loses sight of the puck...which I dont know about you but I lost sight of the puck on tv and lost it on all the replays...I don't know how the ref saw the puck. I guess their sight is fine.

Why couldn't Mr. Mike Foligno make more kids? Seriously, Marcus is exactly the type of hockey player you need for the playoffs. 2 more players like him sprinkled in the top 9 and we might have a decent team...

What I like about Sulzers game was the fact he had a baaaad game, yet he made it a mission he was not gonna be the reason we lost. He made sure he was gonna make up for the weak goals he was on for.
The ref is not obligated to blow the whistle if he loses sight of the puck. That is a misperception that is over on the main board as well. You see players try to freeze the puck all the time without the ref blowing the whistle. He knew Scrivens did not have it, so at worse the puck was trying to be frozen by a Maple Leafs player, so there was no obligation to blow the whistle in that case.

BowieSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Stanford

G: Marcus Foligno was an MF'er alright, all night. His fight was reminiscent of ol' Dad, throwing some large punches. Someone before mentioned the 'future captain' stuff, and i had that thought the instant i saw him get up from under Komisarek and address the crowd, for a goal he didn't even score. it was almost like a "There, ya happy now, fans? Get on it!", with a little rubbin'-in to the Leafs as well. Love the attitude. Dude single-handedly changed the flow of that game on a number of occasions, and the first star was well deserved. How cool would it be to have had a father-son Captaincy in a franchise? That being said, Pommer is good to go for a while...

B: pretty much the rest of the team, sans Roy.

U: the defense, including Miller. yow.

Stanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:33 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Canucks fans were pretty adamant in their bashing of him when he departed. I didn't understand it, considering the sample size was twelve games large... But then again...I wouldn't mask my distaste for Gragnani if you paid me to, and his sample size wasn't four seasons large, either, if you catch my drift....

But yeah, safe to say that Sulzer has far surpassed every single person's expectations by a longshot. He will have his brain farts on the back end - see: tonight - but has brought a generally safe and sound game to the team, with a tad bit of offensive contribution and assisting in pushing the puck up ice. You have seen him evolve in our system, too. He sees how we like our defenseman to pinch, join the rush, act as the fourth forward on the fast break rushes into the zone... As the games go by, he ups his contributions in that regard, and he seems to enjoy playing that kind of style that allows you to take a chance.
Surpassed my expectations. PLays a great safe game. Calm with the puck. Simiple, smart passes. Just shouldn't be a 20 minute a game guy.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:38 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
G: Marcus Foligno was an MF'er alright, all night. His fight was reminiscent of ol' Dad, throwing some large punches. Someone before mentioned the 'future captain' stuff, and i had that thought the instant i saw him get up from under Komisarek and address the crowd, for a goal he didn't even score. it was almost like a "There, ya happy now, fans? Get on it!", with a little rubbin'-in to the Leafs as well. Love the attitude. Dude single-handedly changed the flow of that game on a number of occasions, and the first star was well deserved. How cool would it be to have had a father-son Captaincy in a franchise? That being said, Pommer is good to go for a while...
I'm fine with Pommers having it for a while. He's been great as captain. It's just nice to have guys like Foligno in the pipeline who have captain written all over them in a few years. Plus, while not all captains have to be the same, the thought of a power forward captain who will drop the gloves and throw the body is pretty awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Surpassed my expectations. PLays a great safe game. Calm with the puck. Simiple, smart passes. Just shouldn't be a 20 minute a game guy.
Really, it's this. He's a very good bottom pairing or 3-4 guy, but with all of the minutes the rest of the D needs to consume with Myers and Hoff out, they're all looking various levels of bad.

jamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Bad, or so it appeared bad: How does Foligno get a penalty for interference on the hit prior to his fight?

(didn't see in real-time. missed the first and second)
In real time it looks like a bad call and then again watching the replay of the fights, it appears that he plays the puck and then gets bombed with the hit. The officiating was a bit inconsistent last night -- but isn't that the nature of NHL officiating right now?

04-04-2012, 09:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
Good:
The crowd. I haven't heard them that loud in a long time.
They had a couple of things going consistently after almost every stoppage -- the organist or Sabretooth were doing some version of "Let's go Buffalo". Maybe it started with the hooligans who were hooting during the memorial moment of silence (which gets an ugly... shut the **** up and honor the dead people), but there weren't as many rabid Leaf fans as we've seen some years.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:45 AM
joshjull

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle795284.ece

Quote:
Referee Mike Hasenfratz deserved the first star of the game. He was on top of the entire play through all the arms and legs, which was why he didn't blow the play dead. Nobody else, including Leopold, knew where the puck was located with Marcus Foligno buried under Leafs defenseman Mike Komisarek among the bodies in front of the net.

"I think the ref was watching how many times I got punched in the face," Foligno said, "and he was in awe."

Mystery solved as to why Hasenfratz never blew the whistle on the tying goal.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:59 AM
Ralonzo
Я хочу!

Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post

Bozak did not play the puck. It was a legit call.

On the other hand Foligno was involved on a very similar play in the second period I think, when he was near the puck on the wall and had not played it, and Komisarek had made up his mind and was already 4 strides into his charge and laid Foligno out. Identical situation, one is a penalty, the other is not. Leafs complaining about 5-1 power plays... it could have been 10-2 easily.

Ralonzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:08 AM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...icle795284.ece

Mystery solved as to why Hasenfratz never blew the whistle on the tying goal.
That line by Foligno is brilliant.

Regardless of how the season ends, guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno, and Myers make me incredible hopeful for our future.

As a fan, I'm ****ing excited again!

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Gabrielor
14-15 Goal: McDavid

G:
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford. The future.
Roy got it done.
Regher.

B:
Sulzer, traded goals with defensive lapses.
Our first period effort.

U:
Goals 4 and 5 for the Sabres, but on the tab of God, we're still owed quite a bit for past events.(06',MSM,Wide Right,Hull Goal,etc.)

The Legendary: Was at the game. In a suite with 3 of my mates. Free food. Free beer. Free liquor. Free tickets. That combined with the nature of the win...only a playoff OT game will top this.

The Equally Awesome: The crowd. It hasn't been that loud for me since Rivet's shot tied it against San Jose with 4 seconds to go a few years back.

Gabrielor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
Regardless of how the season ends, guys like Ennis, Hodgson, Foligno, and Myers make me incredible hopeful for our future.

Me too. I'm very pleased that the next "Rochester core" seems to be emerging. Hopefully this offseason Darcy will make some moves to clear out more of the riff-raff from the old core.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
That line by Foligno is brilliant.

agree 100%

Though, I would add McNabb, Brennan, Tropp...Hopefully Armia, when he comes in, learns to enjoy the game like Rochester Core 2.0 instead of Rochester Core 1.0. He has the skill set to succeed in this league just curious what his attitude will be.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote