HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Does anyone else think Ladd is overrated?

Old
03-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Jetsfan1991

vCash: 500
Does anyone else think Ladd is overrated?

Having watched every single Jets game this season, I can't help but think that Ladd is the most overrated Jets player. Sure he has 20+ goals, but he should have about 45 by now! He misses so many open nets and hits so many posts; he has great positioning but terrible finish IMO. He is also responsible for too many goals against on his giveaways for me to consider him being a great player on any team. Does anyone else agree or am I just anti-mainstream?

Jetsfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Aerial

Lots of people agree with you. Me, I think it's hard to "overrate" someone who's been the Top 6 whipping boy for the entire season.

I like Ladd. I don't think he's playing the best hockey of his career, at all, but I think he's a very proven Top 6 NHL grit winger with some nice bonuses (a wicked wrist shot is one of them) and a pretty solid leader. Most of his issues have come from trying to force the play too much. I think we'll see a better year from him next year.

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfan1991 View Post
Having watched every single Jets game this season, I can't help but think that Ladd is the most overrated Jets player. Sure he has 20+ goals, but he should have about 45 by now! He misses so many open nets and hits so many posts; he has great positioning but terrible finish IMO. He is also responsible for too many goals against on his giveaways for me to consider him being a great player on any team. Does anyone else agree or am I just anti-mainstream?
I don't think that he is overrated, just out of place on a #1 line. The lack of high end talent on this team makes him have to take way more minutes than he would on a contender.

Methinks he is a good 2nd line or even 3rd line winger when you have enough talent to contend

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:36 PM
ghost88*

Overrated as a player? Possibly. I think he's a good locker-room leader though.

I just want to know if he's scored more than 10 of his goals using his stick. I'm pretty sure most of them he's just been hit with the puck and it's bounced in.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:47 PM
King Woodballs
**** This Place

vCash: 375
how can a player who has been on as much as he is be over rated?

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Wpgpage

Ladd is a fine 2nd liner, great Corsi, excellent on the PP he is not a first line talent that is not up for debate. However to suggest that he is not valuable on the top 6 is not correct.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:52 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
If you've been reading on here all season then you definitely wouldn't think he is overrated

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Jetsfan1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I don't think that he is overrated, just out of place on a #1 line. The lack of high end talent on this team makes him have to take way more minutes than he would on a contender.

Methinks he is a good 2nd line or even 3rd line winger when you have enough talent to contend
Yeah I totally agree with you on what you said about him being out of place on the number 1 line; 2nd line would be great for him to be on though. I think every Jets fan knows that we need at least two new top-6 players to be a serious contender.

Jetsfan1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgpage View Post
Ladd is a fine 2nd liner, great Corsi, excellent on the PP he is not a first line talent that is not up for debate. However to suggest that he is not valuable on the top 6 is not correct.
Sums up exactly what I would say.

I've also never really heard anyone going around "pumping up his tires" as Luongo would say. So I couldn't really call him overrated. He would probably rank up there as "least deserving whipping boy for the fanbase" for me. He does make a few bonehead plays now and then, but his positives for this team FAR outweigh the negatives.

He is out of place on the first line, but his advanced stats still look good and people often don't like him when they look at him through a microscope. Put some more talent on this team and take some weight off his shoulders and I almost guarantee his game will clean up as he won't be trying to force too many plays.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Kamo

It's not a case of being overrated because he isn't a scouted as a high end top 6 foward. It's more of the fact that we don't have enough scoring depth which forces us to make him play bigger minutes then he should.

Kamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:06 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I think he is under appreciated to be honest.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:08 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Decent 2nd line player. He makes too many turnovers and is pretty weak on the puck to be better than a third wheel on a top 6 line at this point.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Matthew McConaughey
Alright, Alright

He's so over-rated that he's now under-rated. Amazing feat.

Matthew McConaughey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:28 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 419
Some people on here really like to crap on Ladd for some reason. His puck handling is not top-line quality but no one ever said it was. He's got a quick release and a decent physical game. He's a solid second line player and there's no way someone with his production should be considered a third line player. Those saying he should be on a line with Slater and Thorburn are out of their minds. You don't put a 25 goal scorer on what is essentially a fourth line.

If you're upset that he's playing on the first line, you should probably look at the rest of the forwards on the team. It's not his fault it's a weak group and he's on the first as a result. He's a good second line player and that's how most would rate him.

vBurmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost88 View Post
Overrated as a player? Possibly. I think he's a good locker-room leader though.

I just want to know if he's scored more than 10 of his goals using his stick. I'm pretty sure most of them he's just been hit with the puck and it's bounced in.
That isn't a negative. He goes to the tough areas, which is something the 2nd line is missing.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Warhead77
Jets4Life

He may be overrated but that is because he is horribly miscast on this team.

He is not the guy who will break a game open and set up plays AND score a load of goals.

I think, with the proper guidance, Ladd can be crafted into a great defensive forward like what Bob Gainey was to the Habs.

He can lead by example in that way.

Warhead77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:00 PM
GrandChelems

Folks who think he's over-rated generally tend to be the ones who assume, incorrectly, that he is very highly rated in the first place.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post

His statistical output last season would say he was in fact a quite decent first liner.

Assuming that it was a career year, and that he will never repeat, he's still a first line complementary piece. No, he's not the game breaker, or the star on the first line, but he can be a great third wheel there.

In truth, he is a solid second liner statistically speaking, and brings good locker room leadership. He definitely is prone to doing to much, playing with his heart (hello offensive zone penalties), but he's a very solid second liner.

Looking at stats and point production, he would be essentially the best third liner in the league.

Last season he was #48 in overall scoring. Using an equal division of talent, that would put him just outside of the top half of first line scorers.

By the amount he gets whipped on, he's definitely under-rated

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Jet
More Finnz pls

Andrew Ladd gets ridden hard by many on here.

I don't think he is at all over rated.

03-24-2012, 12:08 AM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
His statistical output last season would say he was in fact a quite decent first liner.

Last season he was #48 in overall scoring. Using an equal division of talent, that would put him just outside of the top half of first line scorers.

By the amount he gets whipped on, he's definitely under-rated
Careful with that "logic" stuff. I hear it's contagious.

fatschoonerrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 12:22 AM
sipowicz
The Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Andrew Ladd gets ridden hard by many on here.

I don't think he is at all over rated.
I was pretty hard on him around the middle of the season when he seemed unfocused, took some real bad offensive zone penalties and turned the puck over with regularity but in the final third of the season he has been strong.

+'s
Scores, hits, gives 100%, has the weight of the "C", great in front of the net, quick release with a wicked wrist shot.

-'s
Ill-timed penalties, forces the puck at times, misses a lot of scoring opportunities

Overall a B+ this season.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Inflict
Viking

No...

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 03:56 PM
tntkid

Andrew Ladd has the second highest amount of goals on the Jets at 24 & second highest points at 44 with 8 games in hand.

Nothing overrated about that especially in a defensive league where scoring 50 goals is almost impossible.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2012, 04:17 PM
fergiesbeak

i don't seem him as overrated at all.he makes his mistakes but who doesn't.he does alot of good work in front of the other teams net and along the boards.nothing flashy but he can be very effective in these areas and has a decsent shot.also can play with a bit of an edge at times.we as a team are maybe lacking a little up front as far as highly skilled forwards like lets say chicago.

fergiesbeak is offline   Reply With Quote