HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did fans care about diving before the 1990s?

Old
04-03-2012, 09:11 PM
Hot Water Bottle

vCash: 500
Did fans care about diving before the 1990s?

Yes I hate when players dive, but honestly... I can't remember a single case of anyone getting angry about diving in the 80s. I can't even remember anyone getting a diving penalty.

What I remember is, it was a different time and Cold War mentality was different - you did whatever it takes to WIN. (Canada's rough play against the Soviets was another case.) If a player went down, that was your cue to yell for revenge, WWF style.

I only started hearing talk about a diving problem in the latter part of Mario Lemieux's career, when refs got sick of it and let him lay on the ice when he went down. (supposedly)

Thoughts? I bet some people try to rewrite history to sound better by today's standards, but I don't see any evidence that anyone cared about it until recently. My point is that fans are a lot smarter now than they used to be.

When the Greztky/Billy Smith incident occurred, the public reaction was to stand behind Gretzky and pure anger at Billy Smith for being a "slasher". Only now, decades later does Gretzky look like the bad guy.

Last edited by Hot Water Bottle: 04-03-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 09:47 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

The 'Code" back in the day was that even if half of an ear had been ripped off by a high stick or you got nailed with a blind side or whatever, even a hard clean check or deliberate slash, you crawled back to the bench no matter what. You didnt flail around on the ice, you got off under your own steam so the game could continue with a healthy replacement.

I cant watch soccer because of the diving, guys acting like theyve just been shot, cant stand it in hockey. Some of its clever, amusing & well acted, tactical, Tikkanen for example, but on the whole, some pretty bad actors out there. Like you, I noticed a rise in it in the early to mid 80's, and I sort of chalk down to the evolution in how the game was being played after the violence of the preceding decade. Players as well were getting bigger, stronger & faster, so when you did get nailed, crawling anywhere might not be an option.

Its not as prevalent as it was for a time, however you do still see just enough of it for it to grate & annoy. Some guy barely touched, dropping like a Giant Red Wood, drawing a penalty, yukking it up on the bench moments later. The Refs know who they are....

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Big Phil

It happened before the 1990s. One name..........Bill Barber. Now, the difference is Barber didn't embellish an injury and lay on the ice like a coward. He exaggerated a trip, or a hook. In fact he was masterful at bringing his body close to the opposing checker who was hooking him and making it look like he had been hauled down. It was amazing, he pretty much ran a pick and still got a hooking penalty against the other team. Eventually the refs caught up to him though.

However what Barber did wasn't an utter embarassment to the NHL though. What Kovalev did was embarassing. What Ribeiro did was embarassing. Or Claude Lemieux. They turned hockey into a soccer match which isn't good for anyone. Hockey doesn't need the theatrics.

Even tonight, while I was cheering for the Pens to win I can't help but think Letang went down awfully fast when he got "high sticked" while on the power play. This led to a 5-on-3 and the Pens got two goals. Game over, pretty much. Letang did exactly what I hate happens in the NHL, a little hook here, a slash there followed by a split second delay and then the terrible habit of falling to the ice. Honestly, the stick didn't even clip Letang in the face. That stuff embarasses the refs. Crosby did that stuff a lot his first few years and I hated it, no one likes players that cry wolf.

But if I were to trace it to a certain point, I might have to say 1972. In the Canada/Russia series the Russians dove a lot. If you ever listen to the games Foster Hewitt was a little bewildered at the amount of diving they did saying that they almost try to "entice the refs" to call a penalty. It didn't help that there was awful refereeing in that series with Kompalla either. So there really wasn't much - if any - diving in the original 6 days. Barber showed up in 1972 as well by the way.

I know in our sanitized society we frown on the days when men played like men (for whatever reason?) but there was a time when you got up off the ice because you didn't want anyone to think you WERE hurt. A contrast from today. There weren't any patsies in the original 6 because your job wasn't as secure as today. So if you were hurt back then..............you were HURT. No one cried wolf. Can you imagine the field day Gordie Howe would have had if he saw a player like that on the ice? The NHL for the most part didn't pander to these types of guys either which I think they do today far too often.

So yeah, I'd say 1972 is a good estimation as to when we saw it creep in the NHL on a regular basis.

Big Phil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
So yeah, I'd say 1972 is a good estimation as to when we saw it creep in the NHL on a regular basis.
No question about that, as great as the hockey was in the Summit I clearly remember being disgusted with the Soviets theatrics (and Team Canada for showing up late & out of shape). That was the first time Id seen that kind of &%*# in hockey, ate away at the respect any given player had just earned not seconds or shifts, periods, games before....

I guess though it likely started in earnest during the first expansion.
Outclassed opponents cheating in order to draw penalties because 5 on 5 they had trouble competing. Further expansion in the 70's and the WHA, the tactics of the Soviets & guys like Barber employed widely, eventually morphing into full on Olympic Diving Championships on frozen pools.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:24 PM
SidGenoMario

vCash: 511
It's amazing hockey's lasted this long with chumps like Gretz destroying it since that far back.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2012, 11:35 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
It happened before the 1990s. One name..........Bill Barber. Now, the difference is Barber didn't embellish an injury and lay on the ice like a coward. He exaggerated a trip, or a hook. In fact he was masterful at bringing his body close to the opposing checker who was hooking him and making it look like he had been hauled down. It was amazing, he pretty much ran a pick and still got a hooking penalty against the other team. Eventually the refs caught up to him though.

However what Barber did wasn't an utter embarassment to the NHL though. What Kovalev did was embarassing. What Ribeiro did was embarassing. Or Claude Lemieux. They turned hockey into a soccer match which isn't good for anyone. Hockey doesn't need the theatrics.

Even tonight, while I was cheering for the Pens to win I can't help but think Letang went down awfully fast when he got "high sticked" while on the power play. This led to a 5-on-3 and the Pens got two goals. Game over, pretty much. Letang did exactly what I hate happens in the NHL, a little hook here, a slash there followed by a split second delay and then the terrible habit of falling to the ice. Honestly, the stick didn't even clip Letang in the face. That stuff embarasses the refs. Crosby did that stuff a lot his first few years and I hated it, no one likes players that cry wolf.

But if I were to trace it to a certain point, I might have to say 1972. In the Canada/Russia series the Russians dove a lot. If you ever listen to the games Foster Hewitt was a little bewildered at the amount of diving they did saying that they almost try to "entice the refs" to call a penalty. It didn't help that there was awful refereeing in that series with Kompalla either. So there really wasn't much - if any - diving in the original 6 days. Barber showed up in 1972 as well by the way.

I know in our sanitized society we frown on the days when men played like men (for whatever reason?) but there was a time when you got up off the ice because you didn't want anyone to think you WERE hurt. A contrast from today. There weren't any patsies in the original 6 because your job wasn't as secure as today. So if you were hurt back then..............you were HURT. No one cried wolf. Can you imagine the field day Gordie Howe would have had if he saw a player like that on the ice? The NHL for the most part didn't pander to these types of guys either which I think they do today far too often.

Excellent post, agree on all counts. I do recall diving, it wasn't penalized back then but there's was very little of it. I think the culture among the players was different. Diving wasn't respected, it wasn't something you did as a strategy. The Ribeiro, Kovy stuff is embarrassing and I wish that was more heavily fined - classless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyfriend of Sara View Post
Yes I hate when players dive, but honestly... I can't remember a single case of anyone getting angry about diving in the 80s. I can't even remember anyone getting a diving penalty.

What I remember is, it was a different time and Cold War mentality was different - you did whatever it takes to WIN. (Canada's rough play against the Soviets was another case.) If a player went down, that was your cue to yell for revenge, WWF style.

I only started hearing talk about a diving problem in the latter part of Mario Lemieux's career, when refs got sick of it and let him lay on the ice when he went down. (supposedly)

Thoughts? I bet some people try to rewrite history to sound better by today's standards, but I don't see any evidence that anyone cared about it until recently. My point is that fans are a lot smarter now than they used to be.

When the Greztky/Billy Smith incident occurred, the public reaction was to stand behind Gretzky and pure anger at Billy Smith for being a "slasher". Only now, decades later does Gretzky look like the bad guy.
I remember that game and that play like it was yesterday - plus I've seen that game dozens of times on the NHL network. I don't think Gretzky was diving at all. It looks like he got caught right above the shin pad, above the knee cap and he dropped. Maybe he embellished a bit but it was a real slash.

Love the way Smith just stood up and stared the players down, never leaving the crease. He got into the Oilers heads better than anyone I've seen, a huge reason why the NYI beat EDM IMO. And that slash was a huge reason why. Gretz scored so many of those goals, coming in front of the net and lifting a back hand over the goalie. Nobody's scored goals like that since 99 and that's what Smith was protecting against. And I don't think 99 scored one of those on Smith in those two playoff battles.

On your original point though, about diving, I agree with Big Phil completely. That's exactly what I recall and Bill Barber has the best (or worst?) reputation for diving.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:12 AM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1850
players who dived a lot got their ass kicked

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Kirikanoir

Quote:
I agree that diving was not made to be as big a deal then as it is now. That said frankly anyone who thinks diving, or for a better term embellishing a penalty was something that was invented in the last 10 to 15 years needs to go back and watch some of those games.

I have been watching hockey since the 70`s and there was embellishing even then. The main difference was that there was not as many penalties called. That was the era of the refs putting the whistle away in the third period or overtime, especially in the playoffs, even to the point of not calling some legit penalties.

The reason that it`s become more of an issue now is because it has more of a impact because the refs after the lockout started calling a lot of the iffy stuff that they would have let go in the past.

And in many respects the ones to blame for some of it are the fans who now scream for everything to be called whether it`s regular season or OT in a playoff game. So if it has increased it`s not hard to understand why, players know that with with the increase in penalties that there was a better chance of getting the call.

As for the whole code thing that is nonsense, players would do whatever it took to win back in 70s and 80s just as much as today. The main reason that they did not do it as much was they simply did not get the call their way as much.

I guess it`s a case of people should be careful what they wish for. With the increase in penalties to try to speed up the game, you get more diving since players know it`s much more effective a strategy now.

Last edited by Kirikanoir: 04-04-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Kirikanoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:03 AM
alanschu

I honestly don't consider Gretzky's to be much of a dive (I saw it for the first time the other day).

It was just ball hockey and have been slashed like that before, and I didn't fall down immediately as it took an brief moment for the pain the shoot through my body. The slash didn't forcibly remove my feet from under me, but it was like the initial impact was hard enough that my nerves took a moment to digest exactly what had happened.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:49 AM
Rexor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cursednumber6 View Post
The question is, did fans care about diving before the 90s...Answer I hated Bill Barber's guts for it........and he wasn't that objectionable otherwise. There have always been divers but Claude Lemieux and to a lesser extent, Jagr took it to another level in the 90, yes.
Not sure if serious.

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:00 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
My point is that fans are a lot smarter now than they used to be.
wow this evolution thing sure is working fast

first all the players become vastly superior in every possible way and now the fans are getting smarter too?

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Hanji

Quote:

Men played like men?

It's funny how people's perception of 'manliness' changes. Diving used to be considered the ultimate form of weakness, yet attacking someone with a stick, or using a stick in a fight was not.

Yes, today embellishment is common; yet threatening a player with a stick (see Billy Smith), or using a stick during a fight is considered something only 'patsies' do.

You wanna fight? Have the integrity to put the stick down and go man-to-man.

Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Hot Water Bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post

first all the players become vastly superior in every possible way and now the fans are getting smarter too?
I meant that we as fans have been trained/educated to hate diving these days, but that really wasn't the case before the 1990s.

Hot Water Bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Rexor

Quote:
Quite serious....he may have been enormously strong in the corners but I remember him lying on the ice several times....a diver is a diver is a diver.
This is the first time I hear someone calling Jágr a diver. I hate when someone resorts to this but a youtube proof of his alleged diving would be highly appreciated.

And no, this one doesn't count:

Rexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Claude Lemieux and Tomas Sandstrom were the first two I can remember who dived/embellished on a regular basis. Both also had a tendency to be sneaky cheap with opposing players.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 02:03 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

I don't recall Jagr having a rep as a diver. Mario Lemieux definitely. Peter Forsberg even more - an entire website was spawned by his theatrics

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post

I'd say fans are more informed, not smarter.

Personally, I wouldn't know Dustin Brown is a notorious diver except for HFBoards. I see the guy once every two years in Raleigh and his team rarely makes the playoffs. But here on HF there are any number of "worst diver" threads where he is always at the top of the list, and when I watch a Kings game on NHL Network or Center Ice I know to look out for that tendency. So a player who I wouldn't have known as a diver 30 years ago is now a guy I can identify off the top of my head.

Multiply by 30 teams and millions of fans... add in the fan culture Kirikanoir mentioned where EVERYTHING is supposed to be called and there's mass outrage if a ref gets something wrong... stir in a bit of soccer culture... you're gonna get a lot of diving and a lot of outrage.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 03:29 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Claude Lemieux and Tomas Sandstrom were the first two I can remember who dived/embellished on a regular basis. Both also had a tendency to be sneaky cheap with opposing players.
I remember a post where someone was wondering why the "pests" of today would be killed in the 1980s. The poster said that Sandstrom was a pest and nothing happened to him. Well, other than the most vicious cross check you may ever see from Dave Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
Men played like men?

It's funny how people's perception of 'manliness' changes. Diving used to be considered the ultimate form of weakness, yet attacking someone with a stick, or using a stick in a fight was not.

Yes, today embellishment is common; yet threatening a player with a stick (see Billy Smith), or using a stick during a fight is considered something only 'patsies' do.

You wanna fight? Have the integrity to put the stick down and go man-to-man.
Well there have always been high sticks. Today just like yesteryear. You put a weapon in a players hands and have them play at that level of adrenaline then you'll see things happen.

But 50 years ago no one would have had the time of day for Alexei Kovalev. There was more honour at that time in the way where you didn't cry wolf. Definitely more integrity in the game at least when it came to that. Why you really think what Slava Kozlov or Claude Lemieux or Mike Ribeiro did could be classified as "manly"? Ted Lindsay didn't roll around like a moron on the ice and neither did his teammates. The only problem is the media and even the refs enable players like this today

Old
04-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirikanoir View Post
I agree that diving was not made to be as big a deal then as it is now. That said frankly anyone who thinks diving, or for a better term embellishing a penalty was something that was invented in the last 10 to 15 years needs to go back and watch some of those games.

I have been watching hockey since the 70`s and there was embellishing even then. The main difference was that there was not as many penalties called. That was the era of the refs putting the whistle away in the third period or overtime, especially in the playoffs, even to the point of not calling some legit penalties.

The reason that it`s become more of an issue now is because it has more of a impact because the refs after the lockout started calling a lot of the iffy stuff that they would have let go in the past.

And in many respects the ones to blame for some of it are the fans who now scream for everything to be called whether it`s regular season or OT in a playoff game. So if it has increased it`s not hard to understand why, players know that with with the increase in penalties that there was a better chance of getting the call.

As for the whole code thing that is nonsense, players would do whatever it took to win back in 70s and 80s just as much as today. The main reason that they did not do it as much was they simply did not get the call their way as much.

I guess it`s a case of people should be careful what they wish for. With the increase in penalties to try to speed up the game, you get more diving since players know it`s much more effective a strategy now.
I will add replays and the 24 hour sports station are so prevalent now. In the 1970's or even 80's there were not the same number of replays, not the same coverage. I don't think diving is actually even increased it just is caught more and replayed and replayed. Let's say you are a Calgary fan in 1987. There is TSN, there is local sports. But still unless a dive was caught blatant in a Calgary game you would not see it much. Now if a blatant dive happens in any game we see it on you tube and repeatedly on several 24 hour sports stations.

It is like the crime rate... been going down for like 20 years but it SEEMS like it is going up because if you are in Ottawa and a brutal crime is committed in Phoenix or Miami or Kelowna or even Helsinki it is on the 6:00 news and in the papers... So it seems like heinous crimes are committed every day, but the murder rate in Ottawa is 3-12 people a year for decades...

I don't think diving was permitted in the original 6... because if you successfully got away with it someone was gonna put you in your place soon enough... with other teams facing each other like 12 or 14 times a year. But for like my lifetime .... for 40 years it has happened and it is no wore now then any other time.. it just gets caught and shown more then ever.

Ray Bourque, Wayne Gretzky, Steve Yzerman were all divers many, many times... because it is an effective way to WIN hockey games. Part of the game... you just need to not be blatant and embarressing about it. Bourque PERFECTED IT!

Sens Rule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Hanji

Quote:
Well there have always been high sticks. Today just like yesteryear. You put a weapon in a players hands and have them play at that level of adrenaline then you'll see things happen.
I'm not talking about high sticks. I'm talking about swinging your stick at an opponent in a scrum or a fight. There's NOTHING manly in doing so, yet it was the norm of yesteryear.
Like I previously said, if you want to fight..be a man an face someone mano-a-mano. That's the code of today's NHL.

Quote:
But 50 years ago no one would have had the time of day for Alexei Kovalev. There was more honour at that time in the way where you didn't cry wolf. Definitely more integrity in the game at least when it came to that. Why you really think what Slava Kozlov or Claude Lemieux or Mike Ribeiro did could be classified as "manly"? Ted Lindsay didn't roll around like a moron on the ice and neither did his teammates. The only problem is the media and even the refs enable players like this today

Tell that to 'old time hockey' Eddie Shore. Apparently, the guy was notorious for feigning injury and rolling around on the ice.
I don't think anybody considers him 'less of a man' for doing so.

Even in the above clip, Billy Smith is brandishing his stick in a threatening manner at Gretzky yet the announcer thinks nothing of it. And Smith is considered one of the all time goalie warriors. However, that same act would be considered extremely cowardly in today's game; and it certainly is.
No disrespect, but you appear to have a selective memory about the 'good old days'.

Last edited by Hanji: 04-04-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Hanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:45 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'd say fans are more informed, not smarter.

Personally, I wouldn't know Dustin Brown is a notorious diver except for HFBoards. I see the guy once every two years in Raleigh and his team rarely makes the playoffs. But here on HF there are any number of "worst diver" threads where he is always at the top of the list, and when I watch a Kings game on NHL Network or Center Ice I know to look out for that tendency. So a player who I wouldn't have known as a diver 30 years ago is now a guy I can identify off the top of my head.

Multiply by 30 teams and millions of fans... add in the fan culture Kirikanoir mentioned where EVERYTHING is supposed to be called and there's mass outrage if a ref gets something wrong... stir in a bit of soccer culture... you're gonna get a lot of diving and a lot of outrage.
yeah that's a much better way of putting it

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:54 PM
nik jr

Quote:

russell bowie, who was 1 of the 1st 12 HHOFers, was mentioned as a diver in a newspaper article in 1912. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ie+bowie&hl=en

eddie shore, who was very physical and very tough, was also a noted diver.

Quote:
Quite serious....he may have been enormously strong in the corners but I remember him lying on the ice several times....a diver is a diver is a diver.
jagr is one of the last players i would criticize for diving.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:26 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanji View Post
I'm not talking about high sticks. I'm talking about swinging your stick at an opponent in a scrum or a fight. There's NOTHING manly in doing so, yet it was the norm of yesteryear.
Like I previously said, if you want to fight..be a man an face someone mano-a-mano. That's the code of today's NHL.
Something we have today that was never there in the O6 days is hitting from behind. To watch old games in their full entirety you never saw that - ever. As for the stick swinging, I don't think its manly either but while I agree with the "code" and how it SHOULD be, can we really say that everybody abides by it?

Quote:
Tell that to 'old time hockey' Eddie Shore. Apparently, the guy was notorious for feigning injury and rolling around on the ice.
I don't think anybody considers him 'less of a man' for doing so.

Even in the above clip, Billy Smith is brandishing his stick in a threatening manner at Gretzky yet the announcer thinks nothing of it. And Smith is considered one of the all time goalie warriors. However, that same act would be considered extremely cowardly in today's game; and it certainly is.
No disrespect, but you appear to have a selective memory about the 'good old days'
Yeah I heard that about Shore. The thing is no one was alive to confirm or deny that. None of us are 95 years old on here. If there are clips of Shore rolling around like Mike Ribeiro, then yeah, I have less respect for him for sure. All those players I mentioned above have terrible reputations because of that stuff. The theatrics of guys today like Avery or Lapierre aren't respected either. People that did watch the original 6 games would know there was little time in the NHL for that type of nonsense. 6 teams, 120 players, about a million waiting for you to slip up and falter. You played hurt if you were a bubble player so you wouldn't be sent down, so you didn't roll around the ice like a chump if you were perfectly fine.

I don't know WHY that type of behaviour is more commonly accepted in today's game but I can pinpoint when I personally saw it creep into NHL games and that would be the 1970s. In that regards there was certainly a sense of pride when it came to your reputation in the O6 days. You didn't want to give anyone the vibe of being weak. The thing I don't like now is that it is praised to entice the ref to a penalty against the other team despite a marginal (if that) hook or hold.

The jury is still out on Smith's hack though. Some think Gretzky dove to this day, and others think it was vicious and caught him at the wrong spot which caused him to go down.