HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 01:39 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
If you caught the show last night, let me hear it. If you missed it and want to hear how the Ewanyk/Bunz hour went... here you go.

Thanks to those who sent questions, sorry I couldn't get to them all.

Another "In Studio" show this weekend featuring 3 NHL scouts. If you want to know what life is like for these guys, don't miss Saturday.

- Guy

Last edited by Guy Flaming: 07-18-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Old
07-18-2012, 08:35 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
If you caught the show last night, let me hear it. If you missed it and want to hear how the Ewanyk/Bunz hour went... here you go.

Thanks to those who sent questions, sorry I couldn't get to them all.

Another "In Studio" show this weekend featuring 3 NHL scouts. If you want to know what life is like for these guys, don't miss Saturday.

- Guy
I will give a listen tonight when I get home. Can't access this at work. Unless of course there is some sort of podcast.

Old
07-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I will give a listen tonight when I get home. Can't access this at work. Unless of course there is some sort of podcast.
Of course there is! You can find TPS at iTunes, subscribe via RSS on our site or just listen to in from our media archive. All Options are free.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:02 PM
Philly85
Moody'

nice rant by JG at the beginning of the show today re: the arena, lol

Old
07-18-2012, 04:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Flaming View Post
Of course there is! You can find TPS at iTunes, subscribe via RSS on our site or just listen to in from our media archive. All Options are free.
This really is news I could've used a few months ago.

Good to know.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
nice rant by JG at the beginning of the show today re: the arena, lol
He's pissed at everyone it seems. I didn't listen today, but he really hates how uninformed people are. He then just hates the blanket statements about let the billionaire pay for it.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Like what? It's absolutely dead at this time of year in the sports world. You've got the CFL and mid-season baseball...that's about it.
I listened to Bryn on 960's afternoon show last Friday. They had an entire hour devoted to the CFL, which was awesome. Meanwhile Gregor and Strudwick were talking about skydiving and potato chips up the dial on 1260...
Doesnt mean there are no good stories\people they could connect with...
Would love to hear how Whitney is doing with his foot, Bring in Ebs, catch up with Hall, the captain... heck get Omark, Schremp or an Octane girl and people will listen.

This town is about hockey... most dont care about expert opinions on who to drop in NFL fantasy draft.

Old
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I hate it when they spend time on baseball. I just go zzzzzzzzzz.....

Old
07-19-2012, 01:22 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
This town is about hockey... most dont care about expert opinions on who to drop in NFL fantasy draft.
You and your half-baked blanket statement might help this guy when they dare discuss baseball during baseball season...

Quote:
I hate it when they spend time on baseball. I just go zzzzzzzzzz.....

Old
07-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Is it just me, or does Allison still seem very nervous?

Old
07-19-2012, 05:20 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
You and your half-baked blanket statement might help this guy when they dare discuss baseball during baseball season...
There's a reason the Team wanted more hockey programming.

Blanket statement or not, Team 1260 ratings show how little this market gives a **** about other sports.

Old
07-19-2012, 02:29 PM
OilerFan4Life

Flipped over to CHED and Stauffer was choked up. I didn't hear what happened but it sounded like a caller or emailer called him fat.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:06 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK13 View Post
There's a reason the Team wanted more hockey programming.

Blanket statement or not, Team 1260 ratings show how little this market gives a **** about other sports.
Sports talk radio is a niche format and delivers comparatively low overall ratings in every city. This includes NFL-mad U.S. markets where they crave and get football programming as much as some here want wall-to-wall hockey. Catering to the masses may improve the ratings somewhat but not enough to make a real impact on the big picture.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Is it just me, or does Allison still seem very nervous?
Maybe a little bit. I haven't really thought about it. I think she's coming along and doing a good job. She definitely hasn't found that chemistry that Meg Morrison has with Gregor yet though.

Quote:
Sports talk radio is a niche format and delivers comparatively low overall ratings in every city. This includes NFL-mad U.S. markets where they crave and get football programming as much as some here want wall-to-wall hockey. Catering to the masses may improve the ratings somewhat but not enough to make a real impact on the big picture.
I'd prefer to just have it be Oilers talk the majority of the day and then have NHL, CFL, PGA and UFC talk sprinkled in there but I also only listen to the station 2 hours a day when I'm going/leaving work. I can't imagine being a truck driver that has to listen to 10 straight hours of three different hosts recapping last night's loss. I'd probably be begging for a little baseball talk even if I didn't care about it after a while.

Last edited by Wheatking: 07-19-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old
07-19-2012, 11:02 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

Quote:
The difference is that the MLB, NBA, NCAA and even the NHL have a profile in local markets across the US.

The only real market (and I laughed a little while typing "real" just now), is Saskatchewan and the CFL. Maybe Toronto with the NBA and MLB, but even there, hockey kills them both.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Hockey Nightmare

I hate how you can barely get good local programming on the weekend. It's practically all espn broadcasting or something.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Doesnt mean there are no good stories\people they could connect with...
Would love to hear how Whitney is doing with his foot, Bring in Ebs, catch up with Hall, the captain... heck get Omark, Schremp or an Octane girl and people will listen.

OK, things like Whitney's foot update take up 10 minutes...now what? I think people underestimate how hard it is to fill that much airspace at most times of year, let alone this time. Even in a heavily hockey-biased market, there is not enough hockey news to fill up a show with in July.

I'd have to assume most members of the Oilers are not in town during the summer and/or willing to do a bunch of interviews. Not really sure why former prospects like Schremp would want to come on an Edmonton radio station or what great radio they're going to provide. And an octane girl? Seriously? The only reason people might listen to an Octane girl is in the hope that she's gonna be giving out free you-know-whats behind the Pint after the show.

I do agree that fantasy football talk (or fantasy talk regarding any sport) has no place on sports radio, and the dial is quickly changed whenever that subject comes up.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:40 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

There were two local hockey shows on the station earlier today. Did everyone complaining about no local weekend programming and not enough hockey talk check them out?

Old
07-22-2012, 12:44 AM
Eytinge

Allison is doing fine in my opinion. I like her more than Meg so far.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:48 AM
metallicat
@metallicat51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Flipped over to CHED and Stauffer was choked up. I didn't hear what happened but it sounded like a caller or emailer called him fat.
It was an emailed and he called him more than just fat. A walrus was one adjective. Stauffer was poking fun at it really, he wasn't choked up. He did sort of read the guy the riot act and in a roundabout way sort of said the guy probably wouldn't say it to his face.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:14 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post
It was an emailed and he called him more than just fat. A walrus was one adjective. Stauffer was poking fun at it really, he wasn't choked up. He did sort of read the guy the riot act and in a roundabout way sort of said the guy probably wouldn't say it to his face.
Attack a persons ideas, not the person himself, Saying stuff like that makes everyone realize who the real fool is

Old
07-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBrownHero View Post
Attack a persons ideas, not the person himself, Saying stuff like that makes everyone realize who the real fool is
I say that everytime someone on the Oiler board here insults Terry Jones. I bet if you search every thread about a terry jones article, there is at least two or three people calling him a fat pig and making food jokes.

I wish they wouldn't do it to him, either.

Old
07-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I say that everytime someone on the Oiler board here insults Terry Jones. I bet if you search every thread about a terry jones article, there is at least two or three people calling him a fat pig and making food jokes.

I wish they wouldn't do it to him, either.
I agree. I can't stand these internet cough guys. I actually saw Terry Jones at the airport a couple of weeks ago. I know I wouldn't call him fat to his face. I was surprised by how tall he was. Even at his age I'm sure he could mess up some of these "tough guys" if he got a hold of them

Old
07-22-2012, 06:42 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Its one thing to disagree with some of Bob's views, but to take shots at his appearance etc, is pretty sad.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Its one thing to disagree with some of Bob's views, but to take shots at his appearance etc, is pretty sad.
Pretty much this, being in the media means you have to act differently regarding this stuff, but deep down it still hurts a person, Stuff like this isnt required

Closed Thread