HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
08-31-2012, 10:50 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Kinda shocked that Struds wanted a show.
Players have to consider life after hockey and I'm glad that Struds has half a brain unlike some players. The guy still needs to work if he wants to carry on a certain lifestyle.

Old
08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 293
Glad to hear Strudwick is getting his own show. Feel kinda bad for the guys that got displaced.

Tbh I would rather he replaced Frasier on the morning show.

That is a move they are going to have to make sooner or later. May as well be sooner.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:01 PM
IBleedOil247

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Glad to hear Strudwick is getting his own show. Feel kinda bad for the guys that got displaced.

That is a move they are going to have to make sooner or later. May as well be sooner.
This is exactly what I was thinking

Old
08-31-2012, 12:30 PM
Master Lok

Quote:

I'm a part-time listener on team1260. Who got displaced with these changes?

Old
08-31-2012, 12:39 PM
Lacaar

Damn Struds got his own show?

Good for him but I hope I still get to catch him on some of the other shows.

wish they'd fill that 10am-12pm slot with something local also. I can't stand Rome.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:46 PM
JessikaLovejoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
So Nielson announced on air this morning a few changes in the programming:

Mark Spectors show will now run from 12-2pm.

...and the addition of the Jason Strudwick show. We asked for it and we got it. It will be a late night show and Struds will be on after games(if the season gets underway). I believe they said 9-Midnight. Maybe someone could confirm that time for me though.
ooOOoOoo competing with Tencer's Overtime Openline?

Old
08-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Wheatking

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking
Am I the only one that likes Frasier? I think he does a good job. He's hardly my favorite local radio guy but he never gives me anything to complain about.

I'm still just happy that I can turn on 1260 on the way to work and not hear Chase anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessikaLovejoy View Post
ooOOoOoo competing with Tencer's Overtime Openline?
He's going to get crushed. It will have nothing to do with Strudwick or Tencer though. It's CHED vs Team1260. CHED always end up on top. I know Dan likes to pat himself on the back because his ratings are so high but the reality is that his listeners wouldn't follow him to 1260. Strudwick and Tencer could switch stations and CHED would still have the higher ratings.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:51 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

I really like the moves they made on the Team. 2 hours of Spector will be much more fluid then the 1hr/1hr format they had with inside hockey and Spector.

Strudwick's gig, though late, will be a way to ease him into full time hoisting, plus the late nights give him more freedom to be creative, shall we say.

The interesting test for Strudwick, imo, will be him getting his knowledge up on sports besides hockey.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:54 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Am I the only one that likes Frasier? I think he does a good job. He's hardly my favorite local radio guy but he never gives me anything to complain about.

I'm still just happy that I can turn on 1260 on the way to work and not hear Chase anymore.
No, I'm with you, Fraser is solid and I like what he brings. He does have a bit of habit of being always being the counter point, but I like the way they interact and it makes for a solid show, imo.
Quote:
He's going to get crushed. He shouldn't....but he will.
Well you can't "really" compete with that show, after the Oilers games no one really flips, but I think he, being a former pro, will be able to provide much better insight then Tencer can.

Old
08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Strudwick for the mother****ing win. Dan Tencer... pshhhhh, never listen to that dude ever, little weasel.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:23 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
I'm a part-time listener on team1260. Who got displaced with these changes?
I cant recall. Some young guy/guys who had the time slot last year.

Hopefully they get moved to 6-9pm or something.

I cant stand that show from out east they have on at six.

Toronto this, Blue Jays that, Leafs, Leafs, Leafs, gtfo of here.

Radio goes off at 6 and it would be a shame if they couldnt use that slot to groom the young guys.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:37 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I can never comprehend the appeal of talk radio as a medium because anytime I turn on a radio I expect tunes to be playing and turn the dial if they're not.

To me print media is the right media for discussion, thought, analysis. In depth Spoken word radio makes my eyes roll around in my head. Like get to the point already. Perhaps because we can process information 10 times faster on a visual, than auditory basis. Also that we don't write down every uh, er, what, um, and expect anybody to read all the filler...

So I RARELY if ever post in these threads or listen to sports programming.

But Strudwick?

Whats the appeal?

The first thing I think about is career yes man that won't have an interesting thing to state.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No, I'm with you, Fraser is solid and I like what he brings. He does have a bit of habit of being always being the counter point, but I like the way they interact and it makes for a solid show, imo.

Well you can't "really" compete with that show, after the Oilers games no one really flips, but I think he, being a former pro, will be able to provide much better insight then Tencer can.
Tencer is a host. He has Rob Brown (also a former pro) on for the insight.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:48 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I can never comprehend the appeal of talk radio as a medium because anytime I turn on a radio I expect tunes to be playing and turn the dial if they're not.

To me print media is the right media for discussion, thought, analysis. In depth Spoken word radio makes my eyes roll around in my head. Like get to the point already. Perhaps because we can process information 10 times faster on a visual, than auditory basis. Also that we don't write down every uh, er, what, um, and expect anybody to read all the filler...

So I RARELY if ever post in these threads or listen to sports programming.

But Strudwick?

Whats the appeal?

The first thing I think about is career yes man that won't have an interesting thing to state.
You should listen to him sometime. He's a breath of fresh air on the air. He's got a good way of providing insight into the hockey world using humour, insight, and experience. He's almost like a good Therapist IMO, very easy to listen to and he usually provides his own experience details when he answers hockey questions.

I think he's a natural.

Old
08-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
You should listen to him sometime. He's a breath of fresh air on the air. He's got a good way of providing insight into the hockey world using humour, insight, and experience. He's almost like a good Therapist IMO, very easy to listen to and he usually provides his own experience details when he answers hockey questions.

I think he's a natural.
Jesus Christ could be on "talk radio" and I'd have a hard time being interested enough to tune in. I'd wait for the book.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Jesus Christ could be on "talk radio" and I'd have a hard time being interested enough to tune in. I'd wait for the book.
I'd assume that's due to your stated dis-interest of talk radio.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:25 PM
czar99

vCash: 276
Quote:
Oh, I see what you did there. Cheeky

Old
08-31-2012, 02:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Just Walk Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Tencer is a host. He has Rob Brown (also a former pro) on for the insight.
I am well aware of this.

Old
08-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
I'd assume that's due to your stated dis-interest of talk radio.
Disinterest or diss-interest?

I dunno, the medium doesn't do itself any favors either. Most of the worst pundits seem to always be found not far from talk radio.

I have a hard time just listening to Oiler or Eskimo audio files. Must be the ADHD within me. It takes so bloody long for the average person to verbally state anything, whereas print type is 10 times as fast as a method of communication.

I'm in the right place though.

Old
08-31-2012, 03:43 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Nobody permanent's really getting displaced. Corey Graham will be off doing Oil Kings games while one of the young fill-ins (I can't remember his name) was announced as Strudwick's producer.

A little lost amidst the reaction to the Strudwick hiring is that they will be adding a weekly Oil Kings show (hosted by Graham) on Saturdays.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Nobody permanent's really getting displaced. Corey Graham will be off doing Oil Kings games while one of the young fill-ins (I can't remember his name) was announced as Strudwick's producer.

A little lost amidst the reaction to the Strudwick hiring is that they will be adding a weekly Oil Kings show (hosted by Graham) on Saturdays.
I asked Marc Majeau (the young fill-in you speak of) what he thinks of the change, and he says he's quite looking forward to working with Strudwick.

I think he could host his own show full time though; he clearly knows enough about all kinds of sport to do the job.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:36 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangerine View Post
I asked Marc Majeau (the young fill-in you speak of) what he thinks of the change, and he says he's quite looking forward to working with Strudwick.

I think he could host his own show full time though; he clearly knows enough about all kinds of sport to do the job.
Thanks for that! I remembered Doug Yearwood's name but blanked out on Majeau even though Marc's been there longer and on way more different shows. At this point, Strudwick really likes to interact on-air so Marc will get plenty of opportunities to speak.

Old
08-31-2012, 04:55 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post

That's great news!

Even better if it displaces Nation radio.

Nation Radio should be on Sunday mornings.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:11 PM
plikestechno

I wonder how long it will take for Struds to get bored of doing three hours of radio every night. He'll only enjoy taking shots at Marc Majeau for so long but props to him for wanting to put off getting a real job as long as possible. That's why media people are in the media. It might be different if he had a co-host to riff with but just chatting with the producer isn't the same. I've done a lot of night time radio. It gets lonely and boring. Especially after shift when you want to go do something and everyone's sleeping. You're not ready to go to bed right after your shift.

If there's hockey I say he lasts through the season, if not he probably won't even make it to Christmas before he decides to do something else with his evenings. After a few months of cancelling things with friends and family because he has to do the show he may start thinking differently. Or just nights when you just don't feel like doing it.

I know he's excited for radio, and he's good at it but it's one thing to do guest spots in the morning and with Gregor when more people are listening and interacting and you can get more guests during the day. It's another at night when there are way less people listening and a lot of guests you want to get are sleeping out on the east coast.

They should put him right in on the mornings, he's ready for it, but maybe he didn't want to get up so early. +1 to Chase not being on the air anymore. Did anyone like him?

I don't mind Fraser but he has the personality of an unfolded piece of cardboard compared to Strudwick. He also seems lazy too and gets caught flat footed a lot if it's a topic he's not really into. Nielson and Gregor sound like fountains of sports knowledge compared to Fraser. It's probably not that they know more, it's that they can pass off that they know more which is important.

Last edited by plikestechno: 08-31-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old
08-31-2012, 09:55 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Awesome to hear that Strudwick is getting his own show, I'll definitely tune in when I can.

Closed Thread