HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's going on? Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
copperandblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
... it would probably also cut down on a players interest in blocking shots (which is getting to outrageous proportions in today's game).
If there is any component to defensive hockey that can be coached around, it's blocking shots.

It's called passing the puck.

I'm not sure why shot blocking is getting so much air time as a problem this spring.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
It's a catch 22, you have to protect the kids as best you can so you end up with all this exceptional equipment but then those kids grow up to be men and know only what they were exposed to as a kid.

On a related note to the TEAM 1260 part of things, that Gregor Strudwick segment yesterday was some of the worst radio I have ever heard.

The way Gregor was telling Strudwick what professional hockey players can and can't do was borderline embarassing. The way he kept talking over Strudwick and not letting him get a word in edgewise reminded me of an argument with my wife.
It is a catch 22 and I doubt we'll ever see parents agreeing to their kids wearing less equipment, because to be honest most people don't worry about their kids getting concussed as adults as there is very little chance they have a pro career.

The first half was quite good, but then I did some shopping and tuned in to the end and it was brutal.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:28 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
I didn't catch that but I've been a big proponent of reducing the size/strength of players equipment for ages now. Not only would it cut down on injuries/concussions but if the size/strength of shin pads could be reduced somewhat it would probably also cut down on a players interest in blocking shots (which is getting to outrageous proportions in today's game).
Strudwick said he's worn the same shin pads for most of his career.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:49 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It is a catch 22 and I doubt we'll ever see parents agreeing to their kids wearing less equipment, because to be honest most people don't worry about their kids getting concussed as adults as there is very little chance they have a pro career.
To date myself a little bit, I remember playing minor hockey without requiring a facemask, I have a buddy that lost the vision in one of his eyes as pre-teen because of it.

Equipment and the emphasis on safety has come a long long way.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
To date myself a little bit, I remember playing minor hockey without requiring a facemask, I have a buddy that lost the vision in one of his eyes as pre-teen because of it.

I can understand the face shields at a young age as you are quite reckless with your stick and don't understand the dangers, but there has to be a way to slowly phase out all the protection at the high levels of hockey at say pee-wee or bantam level.

I've never really understood the point of a half visor, might has well where the full visor which won't get sticks caught in it, which won't jam you if not secured properly and well add you with the chin guard to help protect against concussions.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:39 AM
Beerfish

Quote:

lol, we didn't have shields, visors, mouth guards back when I played. Some of the helmets I used to wear were down right scarey.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:54 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
lol, we didn't have shields, visors, mouth guards back when I played. Some of the helmets I used to wear were down right scarey.
Yeah Butch Goring didn't look so rediculous back then, did he?

Old
05-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Lacaar

I think it's becoming increasingly evident how fragile the brain really is.

I'm of the thinking that if I have to increase the chances of my son getting a deep bruise on his body to reduce the chances of him getting a bruise on his brain. I'm all for it 100%.

Protect the head and the neck to the max.

I don't believe the armored plastic provides any protection from breaks, strains, etc. What I think it does do is provide confidence and a dangerous attitude of invulnerability. This game needs to be played with some degree of fear as I believe that leads to respect for your fellow players.

And I just want to give props to Strudwick on th radio. He's my favorite guest by far. Has a great sense of humor and attitude in general.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Jack Michaels is really young - mid 30s. I'm sure he has the capacity to change or alter his style.
I hope so. I too, was hoping he would "grow" on me. But to be honest he's been unbearable. I can't picture anything going on when he's talking. His tone elevation and absurdly emphasized words are hard to listen to especially when he goes to commercial.

I like Stauffer because he doesn't hold back as much when critiquing the Oilers, but he always sounds so bitter...I guess 3 losing seasons will do that to someone. Man do I miss Rod Phillips...

Old
05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacaar View Post
I think it's becoming increasingly evident how fragile the brain really is.

I'm of the thinking that if I have to increase the chances of my son getting a deep bruise on his body to reduce the chances of him getting a bruise on his brain. I'm all for it 100%.

Protect the head and the neck to the max.

I don't believe the armored plastic provides any protection from breaks, strains, etc. What I think it does do is provide confidence and a dangerous attitude of invulnerability. This game needs to be played with some degree of fear as I believe that leads to respect for your fellow players.

And I just want to give props to Strudwick on th radio. He's my favorite guest by far. Has a great sense of humor and attitude in general.
Yeah, I really like the dynamic the two of them have because it sounds like they're pretty good friends. The inside/subtle jokes are hilarious. It's total sports guy talk and I love it.

Struds, much respect to him. He has great insight and drops his opinion on things without being disrespectful. This is definitely a good gig for him, I hope he's on the radio for many years.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:36 PM
Skm

vCash: 1551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Struds, much respect to him. He has great insight and drops his opinion on things without being disrespectful. This is definitely a good gig for him, I hope he's on the radio for many years.
I'd rather he be working for the Oilers in some kind of player development role. He is the exact type of guy you want teaching young players about being a pro and what it takes to stick.

Old
05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
IBleedOil247

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
My only complaints with Jack's play by play is the constant reference "Here come the Oilers from left to right"

I know he is trying to paint a picture and all, but seems to be his go-to filler when he doesn't know what to say....we dont need it 20 times a period.

That, and like mentioned before, he needs a definative goal call. He can sneak a goal by you if you aren't paying 100% attention.

I like his personality though, and I enjoy listening to him and Bob. He'll never replace Rod, no one can, as no-one can outdo a childhood memory, but I am happy with what we have.

I'm not a Tencer fan though I can't put my finger on why, but he just rubs me the wrong way.
Probably because he is an ignorant hack who doesn't like to be challenged with an opinion on air. Not to mention his tangents (see Canucks Playoff Run 2011) as a "profesional radio host" and his cry baby anticts over his "breaking story" with Jason Gregor a couple months back....heck I blocked him on twitter

Old
05-16-2012, 10:43 PM
rosemount289

Have you noticed.....Jason Strudwick?

Has anyone noticed that Jason Strudwick has been getting a lot of air time?

First he has been on Gregor's show but now he is getting air time with Dusty on Oiler's lunch at noon!

I wonder if they are grooming him for a gig as a host on 1260?

Not a bad idea, especially for the 9:00 to Midnight shift instead of Cory Graham.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:48 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosemount289 View Post

First he has been on Gregor's show but now he is getting air time with Dusty on Oiler's lunch at noon!

Not a bad idea, especially for the 9:00 to Midnight shift instead of Cory Graham.
I would be all for it.

He is a funny guy.

Quick thinker.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:00 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Edmonton's version of Warrener?

Would most likely have an entertaining show with great guests. He seems to be well liked wherever he goes and has played for a number of teams can't not see him being able to get some of his random friends to go on air with him.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Quote:

I don't know about the late night show, but it would be nice if the Team 1260 had a 6-9 show to compete with Tencer, and Struds could totally do it (except on Tuesdays so we can keep the pipeline show).

Old
05-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
When a text/tweeter called out Struds for not knowing his wife's birthday he replies, "Sounds like your wife is running your show at home."

Gold.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:43 PM
I am the Liquor

If anything I would think they are grooming Struds to do the noon show.

He is on at noon, and Nielson probably has his hands full with the morning show.

That would be my guess.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:44 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
The morning show is still trash IMO.

Kind of easy trivia is useless filler. Same with Shut My Big Yap.

The HOF report features two great writers who are not good speakers. Err, ahh, stammer, stammer, can't remember player I'm thinking about's name.....err, what was the question? terrible.

Dustin's silly schoolboy polls like, Who would win in a pool noodle fight? Richie Cunningham or Steve Urkel? Text or tweet me your vote.....zzzzzzzz......??????

And this morning Dustin asks, "Your friend gets bit in the balls by a poisonous snake. Do you suck out the poison or let him die?" I immediately turned to another station.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:04 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

The HOF report features two great writers who are not good speakers. Err, ahh, stammer, stammer, can't remember player I'm thinking about's name.....err, what was the question? terrible.

Dustin's silly schoolboy polls like, Who would win in a pool noodle fight? Richie Cunningham or Steve Urkel? Text or tweet me your vote.....zzzzzzzz......??????

And this morning Dustin asks, "Your friend gets bit in the balls by a poisonous snake. Do you suck out the poison or let him die?" I immediately turned to another station.
You have to admit, that's pretty hilarious.

I think you have to have some leniency for the filler type stuff. It's a 4 hour time slot, on a station that has 10 out of 12 hours during the day dedicated to local shows.

I agree that Jones and Matheson aren't great on the radio, but you can't just have MacKenzie and Rishaug and the like on the show every single day.

This is a market that mainly wants hockey talk, with some Eskimos sprinkled in. At this point in the season (really at most points) there simply isn't enough going on to fill four hours up without some filler. And you've gotta leave some stuff for the noon show and Gregor's show as well. Now, this could all be remedied with increased baseball, NBA, NFL, and NCAA talk....but then people would complain that they don't care about those sports.

I thought the Team was at its best when you had the morning show, Stauffer's show in the early evening, and Gregor's show late at night. The local stuff was evenly spread throughout the day. Rome from 10-1, Dan Patrick and Eric Kuselias on ESPN in the afternoon, then McCown's show for an hour. I loved the variety that was provided by that format. But apparently most people want NHL/Oilers all day, so that's the direction they've gone.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I am the Liquor

If my friend is stupid enough to get bit in the balls by a poisonous snake, then he probably deserves to die, but I would show him mercy, toss him my hunting knife, so he could chop them off before the venom works it way to his heart.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Gentle Jake Virtanen
canucks? time to go.

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If my friend is stupid enough to get bit in the balls by a poisonous snake, then he probably deserves to die, but I would show him mercy, toss him my hunting knife, so he could chop them off before the venom works it way to his heart.
but would your friend have the... balls to cut them off

Old
05-17-2012, 08:52 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

The guy has a family I don't see him taking a full-time job one year after retirement.

He'll probably just bounce around do various shows as something to do until he decides to get into coaching.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:32 AM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post

Maybe I'm still in the addition by subtraction honeymoon phase after the long overdue firing of Kyle Chase because I don't mind Nielson & Fraser. Most of their comedic ideas are pretty weak but I generally enjoy their rapport. Four hours during the Oilers lengthy off-season is a lot of time to fill- especially without relying too heavily on the always risky: "Let's go to the phones!". It takes a really talented/driven host and producer to pull off such a long daily show with no filler or warts. The immensely talented Mike Richards did it quite well when he was on 960 in Calgary but even his act had a shelf life. His replacements do talk about sports more than N & F but I think it's because that's all they are capable of doing. Between the lot of them down there they have all the charisma and creativity of a kilo of tofu.

Old
05-29-2012, 04:18 PM
joestevens29

Some funny twitter comments with gregor today.

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor

I wonder why some won't let their kids play football or hockey, due to risk of concussion, yet they let kids eat awful food all the time.

Ryan Whitney ‏@ryanwhitney6

@JasonGregor eating to many snickers bars isn't gonna cause a kid to answer the phone when the door bell rings 30 years later.

Closed Thread