HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

General Talk '12 — Finland

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Mestaruus

vCash: 500
I also don't want to see Vehanen as #1 goalie this year based on how his team's season went and his stats also weren't amazing, but as #2 goalie he'd be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiLe View Post
Here's no longer Swedish YLE to employ him either, so here's hoping.
Swedish speaking YLE radio would probably want him, but IMO Söderholm will come if he's asked. I got no doubt about that.

Is it just me or does the official mascot - hockey bird look like Kalervo Kummola. Here's a pic:

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/mmjaakiek...eet---kuuntele

Last edited by Mestaruus: 04-03-2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old
04-03-2012, 07:45 AM
kitsumo
Unregistered User

If Pitkanen is available, he would be your #1 dman in team Finland. No question about it.

Old
04-03-2012, 09:17 AM
goodoldhockeygame

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mestaruus View Post
I also don't want to see Vehanen as #1 goalie this year based on how his team's season went and his stats also weren't amazing, but as #2 goalie he'd be great.

Swedish speaking YLE radio would probably want him, but IMO Söderholm will come if he's asked. I got no doubt about that.

Is it just me or does the official mascot - hockey bird look like Kalervo Kummola. Here's a pic:

he is the lost twin of kalervo!

Old
04-03-2012, 10:35 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Err... what would they do with him? As I just said, YLE lost all the rights to broadcast the WHC, that includes the Swedish commentating, in radio or TV. They got no job to offer Söderholm this spring.

Old
04-03-2012, 10:57 AM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

vCash: 50
should have closed down some military bases and used the money to keep the WC broadcasting rights at YLE

Old
04-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMaximus View Post
should have closed down some military bases and used the money to keep the WC broadcasting rights at YLE
What!? Giving WC rights to Canal+ and Mtv3 was best thing that have happened to finnish ice hockey for a long time.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:16 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
What!? Giving WC rights to Canal+ and Mtv3 was best thing that have happened to finnish ice hockey for a long time.
notsureifserious.jpg

They don't even have Swedish commentary anymore. That's a disgrace and shouldn't happen in this country.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:25 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
They don't even have Swedish commentary anymore. That's a disgrace and shouldn't happen in this country.
In this country where roughly 99% of the population can speak and understand Finnish?

Not that I really mind. It's not away from anyone, but this isn't exactly a public service. They're here to do business now and are thus free to provide the commentary solely in Swahili if they think it'll draw the best revenues.

*Sigh*...we haven't seen a single game broadcasted by MTV/Alma and I already miss YLE.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
In this country where roughly 99% of the population can speak and understand Finnish?

Not that I really mind. It's not away from anyone, but this isn't exactly a public service. They're here to do business now and are thus free to provide the commentary solely in Swahili if they think it'll draw the best revenues.

*Sigh*...we haven't seen a single game broadcasted by MTV/Alma and I already miss YLE.
Uh? I just meant it as a reason why I prefer YLE broadcasting the WC. It was a great feat and I applaud them. It resembles how good their coverage was.

MTV3 is overall such a stupid channel that I'll probably would watch the WC through streams anyways.

Old
04-03-2012, 12:42 PM
SPMaximus
Re-sign=/=Resign

vCash: 50
streams is definitely the direction im heading now, kind of bored of Mertaranta, i guess ill give Fredrik Norrena and Christoffer Herberts a try

Old
04-03-2012, 01:45 PM
Tuomaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexiKledjut View Post
notsureifserious.jpg

I'm serious. I don't care about the swedish commentary ( couldn't understand why someone liked Kunnas. He's voice was terrible and knew about hockey as much as Mertaranta.). Also the coverage is 10X better in Canal+ than in YLE. In YLE it was Mertaranta and Tapio Suominen. 15 Min broadcast before the game and thats about it. In Canal u have about an hour long pre-game studio with lot of guests. Canal+ has also shown hockey programs all year along now something that u couldn't get from YLE.

Old
04-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Mestaruus

I'm going to watch Finland's games with Saukkonen (sigh) and the rest of the games via streams. Mtv3 sure knew how to penalize us non payers . No way i'm getting Canal+ and give them what they want.

Old
04-03-2012, 06:51 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuomaz View Post
I'm serious. I don't care about the swedish commentary ( couldn't understand why someone liked Kunnas. He's voice was terrible and knew about hockey as much as Mertaranta.). Also the coverage is 10X better in Canal+ than in YLE. In YLE it was Mertaranta and Tapio Suominen. 15 Min broadcast before the game and thats about it. In Canal u have about an hour long pre-game studio with lot of guests. Canal+ has also shown hockey programs all year along now something that u couldn't get from YLE.
There was something with YLE though you can't beat: It was free.

And thus far, I don't exactly see how dragging men in fancy suits to next to a fancy backdrop to build fantasy rosters six months in advance is somewhat better. If you like more of just about anything hockey-related then I guess I can dig that opinion. Sure, YLE had its own lame content as well, but for me all that grandstanding is perhaps even more detracting from the actual substance.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:28 AM
ThinMcWhistle

Roster Talk '12 — Finland

Discuss. And please sticky.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Mestaruus

I'm guessing tonight's Switzerland game wont be aired anywhere?

Old
04-04-2012, 08:05 PM
ThinMcWhistle

Realistic team Finland roster:

Tuomo Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Jussi Jokinen
Teemu Selanne - Saku Koivu - Jarkko Immonen
Ville Leino - Niko Kapanen - Mikael Granlund
Leo Komarov - Lennart Petrell - Antti Pihlstrom
Nokelainen/Miettinen
Joensuu/Pyorala

Vaananen - Pitkanen
Niskala - Salmela
Kukkonen - Jaakola
Soderholm
Valivaara
Lahti

Lehtonen
Vehanen

Old
04-05-2012, 01:55 AM
goodoldhockeygame

Quote:
No it wasnt. but you didnt miss anything. i was in the stadium an the game of the finns was horrible. lots of bad passes, they lost pucks easily in duels and there was absolutely no physicle play except a few players. anttila made some hits but he moves and turns so badly slow that the swiss often were to fast. Pihlström showed that he could do something but he looked a lil bit effortless. Pyörälä had a flashy moment when he made a toedrag and undressed swiss d in 1 on 1 but the rest of the game he was almost invisible. Defence couldt handle the pressure and forecheck of the swiss and because of that they had many give aways and bad first passes.

Ortio wasnt the reason of the loss, but he didnt have a very good charisma, he didnt look too confident, he had some bade bounces/rebounds, but you cant blame him on a goal i guess.

Joensuu was by far best playere of the finns. he was a physicle presents, he took the puck and responsibility and made many good plays. He made good decisions, won his duels and made good passes.

I didn't except a big win or something like that, but at least some nice plays to show some class, but even in the pp they couldnt stay in the zone. The finns were more in puck possession over the game but could not create quality scoring chances....swiss had many more....

Old
04-05-2012, 02:25 AM
sirMcDuck

We can consider that team to be Finland's D-team. But still an awful lost!

Old
04-05-2012, 02:48 AM
goodoldhockeygame

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirMcDuck View Post
We can consider that team to be Finland's D-team. But still an awful lost!
yes of course it was d-team. but anyway i expected a lil bit more.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:39 AM
bareza

http://www.katsomo.fi/?progId=114308

all games for 28€ i'm skeptic to buy it dunno about quality

Old
04-05-2012, 09:09 AM
goodoldhockeygame

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsDOShthS2Q

highlights....

Old
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
Mestaruus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassse34 View Post
Thanks.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:46 AM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lassse34 View Post
yes of course it was d-team. but anyway i expected a lil bit more.
You can compare the rosters here. I'd say Switzerland is already rolling with perhaps 3/4 of its WHC team whereas we had 3 to 5 guys who have a realistic chance to make the final roster.

It's not a shameful loss by any accounts.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:

YLE doesn't have radio rights either anymore...

Old
04-05-2012, 01:01 PM
jonas2244

Quote:
You can compare the rosters here. I'd say Switzerland is already rolling with perhaps 3/4 of its WHC team whereas we had 3 to 5 guys who have a realistic chance to make the final roster.

It's not a shameful loss by any accounts.
I'd guess Switzerland will add about 10 more players, so it's probably about half of the IHWC-team. But of course Finland has more potential.

Closed Thread