HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Burke's Moves

Old
04-04-2012, 10:48 AM
eyeball11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
It would be great if some of our current prospects turned out as well as some of our past traded ones like say Jiri Tlusty (77 games 17 goals 19 assists 36 points) or Viktor Stalberg (77 games 21 goals 21 assists 42 points).

Then Burke wouldn't have to sign a UFA like say Tim Connolly ($4.75 mil) and get 68 games 12 goals 23 assists 35 points or trade for Matthew Lombardi ($3.5 mil) and get 60 games 8 goals 10 assists 18 points.

Lets just hope there is someone in the current prospect pool that is able to displace Colby Armstrong ($3.0 mil) 1-2-3 points, Mike Komisarek ($4.5 mil) 1-4-5 points & Colton Orr ($1 mil) 1-0-1 point because then Burke wouldn't have to waste soooooo much money shopping outside the organization for help.
Well, guys like Kadri have a good 175 games to put up 55 points, so they should be alright.

I wish there would have been someone in the pool to displace the likes of Jeff Finger ($3.5), Lee Stempniak ($2.5), Ryan Hollweg ($0.512), Jamal Mayers ($1.333), Jonas Frogren ($1.065), Mike Van Ryn ($2.9).....

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:00 AM
mooseOAK*

"Can't say I'm disappointed & in fact I applaud Burke for getting rid of Tlusty. Thought it was another poor Leaf entry draft pick at time of draft, and never liked his game nor believed he would amount to much. His internet antics was an embarrassment to himself and the Leafs. Showing up to camp overweight and out of shape this season believing his last AHL season gave him an "entitlement" to a NHL spot now was the final straw for me .. Good luck and good riddance."

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:04 AM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post

Mikhail Grabovski - Overpaid
John-Michael Liles - Signed him to a 4 year deal while he had a concussion.
James Reimer - Over evaluated
Trade Deadline - Did Nothing
Couldn't get Richards signed or do a Trade for Nash.
Right because who was better for cheaper out there? Ya everyones overpaid, its cheap idiots on here who think they can sign everyone at 1mil a piece.
JML is worth it
James Reimer had a concussion and a sophomore slump but morons don't take that crap into consideration and just expect him to be better than Patrick Roy
Who gives a sht about the trade deadline? Most teams did fk all anyways and as for Richards who cares? It takes 2 to tango, Richards wanted a 40 year deal at 20 trillion a year only idiots would pay that much for him

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:05 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForSpareParts View Post
I can recall our prospect pool being players like Carlo C and Brad B, but is our prospect pool really that much different? I think the Frattins, the Kadris, and the Colbornes would kill to be NHL regulars. Are they better? No. Burke did nothing to our prospects. Did he draft in the top 5 recently? Poor. Burke is no better than JFJ.
Colaiacovo, Boyes, Steen, etc. were all traded before Burke got here. When Burke was here, our top 10 were

Tlusty
Pogge
Stralman
Vorobiev
Stefanovich
Hayes
DiDomenico
Rau
Mitchell
Reimer

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by birddog View Post
This is true but the sum of his work is still the same 4 years later -- fifth last in the entire NHL -- no playoffs again. Until he starts producing results the sentiment will be the same.
Yes, because of a late season month-long crash, in which the team simply stopped playing and dropped out of the playoffs, this NHL version of the Leafs will finish no higher than they did when Burke arrived. I am not exactly sure how you can call this failing at a single aspect of Burke's work with the team to be "the sum of his work". This is especially true when posting on a site that focuses so much on prospects and player development.

One could focus on the way the current team finished as you did and leave it at that or they could compare the two rosters to see if there is any progress. When Burke arrived he inherited an NHL roster composed mostly of aging veterans on the downside of their careers and hardly any young players with any upside. It was a team going nowhere with no future. The reason was that the prior GMs of the team made the same mistake in trying (and failing) with quick fix solutions to the NHL team's problem. Our prospect pool and the Marlies specifically was nearly barren as a result of the quick fix approach.

Burke has changed the roster significantly. Yes, he has made some mistakes but in nearly every trade he has made he has either aquired a young player, pick or prospect in exchange for an aging veteran. This has transformed the NHL roster from an aging squad with virtually no chance of internal improvement to one of the youngest rosters in the NHL and one that includes many players who have the potential to get significantly better. Yes, the team finished in the same place as they did when Burke arrived but difference is this Leaf's roster could improve, even without significant changes over the summer, while the other Leaf's roster could not. This change does not even take into account the vast improvement in our prospect pool. The difference between our prospect pool and the one we had five years ago is staggering. We now have many players at various stages in their development who look to be solid NHL prospects while on the past roster we had only a couple worth mentioning.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:27 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
There was a 10-15 game stretch of games where he was one of our top defenseman, and we were winning. I can't understand why Franson can't stick, besides the fact he needs to be more aggressive. Maybe management is trying to light a fire under his ass cuz I still see alot of potential in Franson. Anyone else?

It is a mystery.....when looking at his play.

diceman934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:40 AM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Yes, because of a late season month-long crash, in which the team simply stopped playing and dropped out of the playoffs, this NHL version of the Leafs will finish no higher than they did when Burke arrived. I am not exactly sure how you can call this failing at a single aspect of Burke's work with the team to be "the sum of his work". This is especially true when posting on a site that focuses so much on prospects and player development.

One could focus on the way the current team finished as you did and leave it at that or they could compare the two rosters to see if there is any progress. When Burke arrived he inherited an NHL roster composed mostly of aging veterans on the downside of their careers and hardly any young players with any upside. It was a team going nowhere with no future. The reason was that the prior GMs of the team made the same mistake in trying (and failing) with quick fix solutions to the NHL team's problem. Our prospect pool and the Marlies specifically was nearly barren as a result of the quick fix approach.

Burke has changed the roster significantly. Yes, he has made some mistakes but in nearly every trade he has made he has either aquired a young player, pick or prospect in exchange for an aging veteran. This has transformed the NHL roster from an aging squad with virtually no chance of internal improvement to one of the youngest rosters in the NHL and one that includes many players who have the potential to get significantly better. Yes, the team finished in the same place as they did when Burke arrived but difference is this Leaf's roster could improve, even without significant changes over the summer, while the other Leaf's roster could not. This change does not even take into account the vast improvement in our prospect pool. The difference between our prospect pool and the one we had five years ago is staggering. We now have many players at various stages in their development who look to be solid NHL prospects while on the past roster we had only a couple worth mentioning.
Player development is not happening with the young players.....please list all the players who are developing in the minors / or with the Leafs who will or are be significant players in the future.

We currently have Ashton playing on the Leafs who is not contributing at all, yet we have Kadri who can contribute on the Leafs playing on the Marlies. This has to be the most dysfunctional team in the NHL.

Look at Aulie and what happened with him.
Look at Franson and what is happening with him....
Look at Colborne he played well and we sent him down and his development stalled.

The Leafs should be from this point on be called the Puzzle Palace.....as the way that they treat their top prospects is a puzzle.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:45 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
Player development is not happening with the young players.....please list all the players who are developing in the minors / or with the Leafs who will or are be significant players in the future.

We currently have Ashton playing on the Leafs who is not contributing at all, yet we have Kadri who can contribute on the Leafs playing on the Marlies. This has to be the most dysfunctional team in the NHL.

Look at Colborne he played well and we sent him down and his development stalled.

The Leafs should be from this point on be called the Puzzle Palace.....as the way that they treat their top prospects is a puzzle.
Look at Kessel what happened with him
Look at Gardiner what happened with him
Look at Reimer (pre-concussion) what happened with him

Even Kadri is developing well he just hasn't been given a real shot. I love the whole "Detorit has the best development system and they have patients with their prospects" yet the Leafs have a promising player on the Marlies and all of a sudden he won't make a significant contribution in the future.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

Gardiner, Frattin, Reimer, Holzer, Blacker, Ross, Kadri, Scrivens, Owuya, Devane. - Those are just off thetop of my lhead!

Colborne and Ashton are question marks. I believe Ashton will for sure but needs another year or two in the AHL. Colborne, I want to see how he responds after this callup and in the playoffs for the Marlies.

Leafsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Ash35

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuleminFan41 View Post
Right because who was better for cheaper out there? Ya everyones overpaid, its cheap idiots on here who think they can sign everyone at 1mil a piece.
JML is worth it
James Reimer had a concussion and a sophomore slump but morons don't take that crap into consideration and just expect him to be better than Patrick Roy
Who gives a sht about the trade deadline? Most teams did fk all anyways and as for Richards who cares? It takes 2 to tango, Richards wanted a 40 year deal at 20 trillion a year only idiots would pay that much for him
It's this kind of denial that is going to keep us from getting any better.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:53 AM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
No its this kind of impatience that will keep us from getting any better

Old
04-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Leafsman

Quote:
No it's thinking that any player who has a rough patch has to be traded for a pick that will keep us from getting better!

You want to get better! Give Reimer time to develop before writing him off. It's ridiculous to trade a goalie inhis sophomore year because he's had a roughpatch. His NHL numbers including this rough patch are still fairly decent.

I believe Carey Price had a very similar year to Reimer his second year.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:57 AM
Earth Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
No it's thinking that any player who has a rough patch has to be traded for a pick that will keep us from getting better!

You want to get better! Give Reimer time to develop before writing him off. It's ridiculous to trade a goalie inhis sophomore year because he's had a roughpatch. His NHL numbers including this rough patch are still fairly decent.

I believe Carey Price had a very similar year to Reimer his second year.
He was Brutal, Habs fans were furious when they traded Halak over Price... they even booed him in the preseason the following year, then Price got mad and said be patient....it has paid off

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
"Can't say I'm disappointed & in fact I applaud Burke for getting rid of Tlusty. Thought it was another poor Leaf entry draft pick at time of draft, and never liked his game nor believed he would amount to much. His internet antics was an embarrassment to himself and the Leafs. Showing up to camp overweight and out of shape this season believing his last AHL season gave him an "entitlement" to a NHL spot now was the final straw for me .. Good luck and good riddance."

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:59 AM
LC

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Eric Iannicello View Post
Carlyle had made a point of talking about his skating and needing to be more physical.
Franson? He is better than Schenn and Komi in every single way. Their physicality is useless, its mostly just pushing people after they've passed the puck. There has been no reason to sit Franson.

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Leafsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownieLeafer View Post
He was Brutal, Habs fans were furious when they traded Halak over Price... they even booed him in the preseason the following year, then Price got mad and said be patient....it has paid off
Exactly!! We need to wait and see! The sophomore slump is a very poor reason to give up on a player!

Reimer seems liek the kind of guy that can turn things around. He seems toshake things off easily.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Sundinforever13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2S View Post
People can rag on him all they want, but that roster we had was dreadfully ugly. And the big thing now is, though we havent played better, we have a solid prospect pool. At that moment, we did not at all.
lol and yet we might not get as many points as that roster did.... its not whats on paper but what is produced on ice.

Sundinforever13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:05 PM
kilgro
Thank you Burke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
gotta love it

kilgro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:07 PM
Aplayaz2000

the team that was left
was just horrible

all of them never turned out to be any great

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Ash35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
No its this kind of impatience that will keep us from getting any better
Impatience? I been waiting since 1985! I know how this story ends.

Ash35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:15 PM
dirk41

Can't wait for this year's draft day.

Quote:
July 1 Signed D Mike Komisarek as a free agent to a five-year contract
* Signed RW Colton Orr as a free agent to a four-year contract
* Acquired D Garnet Exelby and F Colin Stuart from Atlanta for D Pavel Kubina and F Tim Stapleton
Quote:
July 1 Signed RW Colby Armstrong as a free agent to a three-year contract
* Signed RW Joey Crabb as a free agent
* Signed D Danny Richmond as a free agent
Quote:
July 2 [no July 1st signing] Signed C Tim Connolly as a free agent to a two-year contract

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:17 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Look at Kessel what happened with him
Look at Gardiner what happened with him
Look at Reimer (pre-concussion) what happened with him

Even Kadri is developing well he just hasn't been given a real shot. I love the whole "Detorit has the best development system and they have patients with their prospects" yet the Leafs have a promising player on the Marlies and all of a sudden he won't make a significant contribution in the future.
Kessel was developed by the Bruins and was an NHL player before arriving here.

Gardiner is the only one.

Reimer had a great run last year but his weaknesses were exposed and even his last 10 games last year showed this. He is not a number 1 goalie and may not even be a reasonable back up solution moving forward.

Kadri has been mishandled period. You do not yo-yo your prospects.

Last edited by diceman934: 04-04-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old
04-04-2012, 12:18 PM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

Burke should institute a trade freeze for the first week of July.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 12:24 PM
diceman934
LINT must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsman View Post
Gardiner, Frattin, Reimer, Holzer, Blacker, Ross, Kadri, Scrivens, Owuya, Devane. - Those are just off thetop of my lhead!

Colborne and Ashton are question marks. I believe Ashton will for sure but needs another year or two in the AHL. Colborne, I want to see how he responds after this callup and in the playoffs for the Marlies.

Of your list only Gardiner has developed. None of the others have shown anything.

Old
04-04-2012, 12:26 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The team isn't as bad as the standings indicate, the goaltending has really let us down
Jonas Gustavsson: 2.92 GAA .902 SV%
James Reimer: 3.10 GAA .900 SV%
Ben Scrivens: 3.28 GAA .899 SV%

It's amazing how similar their statistics are. Scrivens puts up a .925 SV% in the AHL for two years, but now it's his fault that he has a .900 SV% in the NHL, just like Reimer's and Gustavsson's?

What was Gus's SV% in his last season in Sweden? 0.931
Giguere had a .900 SV% for the Leafs last year and what is it now? .923

I blame Vesa Toskala.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote