HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Who is Canada's Team for 2011-2012 Playoffs

View Poll Results: Who is Canada's team for 2012 Playoffs?
Ottawa 36 38.30%
Vancouver 15 15.96%
Neither 43 45.74%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2012, 12:48 PM
  #26
Nizdizzle
Salary cap? Huh?
 
Nizdizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,254
vCash: 500
the only other Canadian team I can stand to cheer for is Calgary, and thats not working out either. So I'll have to pick some team once the matches are set.

Nizdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
  #27
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
It's about wanting canadian fans to celebrate a cup. American cities have won every cup since 93. A lot of people think it would be neat to see a canadian city win it. It would be a lot more of a big deal then some american city. Picture toronto winning the cup instead of tampa bay. the difference would be massive. I believe as a whole fanbase, canadians are more passionate about hockey(not individually, but as a fanbase). A lot of people feel that way. I'd rather see canadians fans celebrate the stanley cup then american fans.
I disagree. being from Edmonton, I wouldn't be all to proud, patriotic, excited, happy, etc if Toronto or Montreal won. it might be a big deal for Ontario or Quebec, but I bet the majority of us out west wouldn't feel any patriotic pride for you easterners winning.
I dislike the eastern Canadian teams, and much of their fanbase. (please don't take too much offense)
I'd rather see a western team like the Kings win than some eastern team.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:52 PM
  #28
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
None. "Canada's Team" is a term used by bandwagoners who have some sort of super-patriotic bias against teams based on region.

Cheer for the team you like, no matter where they're from.

But to answer the OP question, Vancouver will undoubtedly be that team again. That team attracted more fairweather fans then I've seen in the last decade.
Calgary in 2004 was the biggest bunch of fairweather, bandwagon jumping, any excuse to party fans I've ever seen.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 12:54 PM
  #29
camcool21
Registered User
 
camcool21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,217
vCash: 500
I vote for Buffalo to be an honorary Canada's team.

camcool21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
  #30
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I disagree. being from Edmonton, I wouldn't be all to proud, patriotic, excited, happy, etc if Toronto or Montreal won. it might be a big deal for Ontario or Quebec, but I bet the majority of us out west wouldn't feel any patriotic pride for you easterners winning.
I dislike the eastern Canadian teams, and much of their fanbase. (please don't take too much offense)
I'd rather see a western team like the Kings win than some eastern team.
See i don't put much stock into east/west but more canadian/american. I would be happy if edmonton or calgary won. I was rooting for them in the finals just like i was for vancouver last year, and obviously ottawa in 07. When ottawa was in the middle of it's rivalry with toronto is the only time i id be pissed if toronto won. I hated them...now i'd be happy to see any canadian team win.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
  #31
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,730
vCash: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
See i don't put much stock into east/west but more canadian/american. I would be happy if edmonton or calgary won. I was rooting for them in the finals just like i was for vancouver last year, and obviously ottawa in 07. When ottawa was in the middle of it's rivalry with toronto is the only time i id be pissed if toronto won. I hated them...now i'd be happy to see any canadian team win.
I understand your point of view. unfortunately, I just don't share it.
although I'd rather have toronto or Ottawa win the cup 50 times over before I'd ever want or cheer for Calgary to win again.

peace.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:03 PM
  #32
BonMorrison
Soco Amaretto Lime
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
See i don't put much stock into east/west but more canadian/american. I would be happy if edmonton or calgary won. I was rooting for them in the finals just like i was for vancouver last year, and obviously ottawa in 07. When ottawa was in the middle of it's rivalry with toronto is the only time i id be pissed if toronto won. I hated them...now i'd be happy to see any canadian team win.
Well I'm glad you're a fairweather fan then.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:05 PM
  #33
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I understand your point of view. unfortunately, I just don't share it.
although I'd rather have toronto or Ottawa win the cup 50 times over before I'd ever want or cheer for Calgary to win again.

peace.
i get it. I won't try to push my view on to others. I fully understand people will have different opinions and i fully respect that.

Peace bro.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:08 PM
  #34
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Well I'm glad you're a fairweather fan then.
um no? I'm as hardcore as they come...i always leave the house wearing a sens item, and my room is painted coloured black,red,gold, and white and i'm 22 years old for christ sakes lol.

It's just i will support the canadian team over the american team in the finals. While i support the canadian team, i will still 100% let it be known im a sens fan by either my sens cap, jersey, shirt, socks, boxers or whatever else im wearing that's sens.

I'm a sens fan,hockey fan, and canadian fan. I'll always watch hockey, even when the sens are out, but if there's 1 canadian team left,i'm secretly hoping they go far.

How does that make me fairweather again?

Just to help you out (you might need it)...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fair-weather

"2.weakening or failing in time of trouble: His fair-weather friends left him when he lost his money. "

AKA you stated i'm a fan until the going gets tough. How so? I'm always a sens fan...it was on full display last year publicly even though the sens sucked donkey balls. In fact, since they really started sucking (the start of last year) i've bought 4 jerseys with names stitched on...white michalek, red spezza, "sens" black alfredsson, and new black with karlsson. Sorry, what were you saying about fairweather?

Either A) you don't know the definition of fairweather and shouldn't ever use it again until you learn the definition...or B) you like to chirp people over the internet whom you know nothing about because you're cool. Which one is it? Because i've said nothing that would makes it look like i run and hide when the going get's tough. So which one is it bud?


Last edited by jbeck5: 04-05-2012 at 01:14 PM.
jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:09 PM
  #35
Neely2005
Grey Cup Champions
 
Neely2005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
agreed.
I put neither for the poll as I don't care about either team.

Which playoff team has the most Canadian players? they would moreso be Canada's team than these two.
Probably Boston or Philly.

Neely2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
  #36
BonMorrison
Soco Amaretto Lime
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
um no? I'm as hardcore as they come...i always leave the house wearing a sens item, and my room is painted coloured black,red,gold, and white and i'm 22 years old for christ sakes lol.

It's just i will support the canadian team over the american team in the finals. While i support the canadian team, i will still 100% let it be known im a sens fan by either my sens cap, jersey, shirt, socks, boxers or whatever else im wearing that's sens.

I'm a sens fan,hockey fan, and canadian fan. I'll always watch hockey, even when the sens are out, but if there's 1 canadian team left,i'm secretly hoping they go far.

How does that make me fairweather again?

Just to help you out (you might need it)...

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fair-weather

"2.weakening or failing in time of trouble: His fair-weather friends left him when he lost his money. "

AKA you stated i'm a fan until the going gets tough. How so? I'm always a sens fan...it was on full display last year publicly even though the sens sucked donkey balls. In fact, since they really started sucking (the start of last year) i've bought 4 jerseys with names stitched on...white michalek, red spezza, "sens" black alfredsson, and new black with karlsson. Sorry, what were you saying about fairweather?

Either A) you don't know the definition of fairweather and shouldn't ever use it again until you learn the definition...or B) you like to chirp people over the internet whom you know nothing about because you're cool. Which one is it? Because i've said nothing that would makes it look like i run and hide when the going get's tough. So which one is it bud?
I'm glad you had to waste three paragraphs on vindicating yourself.

Unfortunately, I care very little for this and am moving on.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:46 PM
  #37
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
I'm glad you had to waste three paragraphs on vindicating yourself.

Unfortunately, I care very little for this and am moving on.
lol so you're fully aware that your wrong and don't know the definition of words you use. I'll take it.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:35 PM
  #38
Red08
Registered User
 
Red08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 702
vCash: 500
I'm not Canadian, but I don't understand the whole "Canada Stanley Cup" thing… Myself (and I would assume 99% of American's) could care less what country the winner of the Stanley Cup plays in.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:52 PM
  #39
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,713
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
I'm not Canadian, but I don't understand the whole "Canada Stanley Cup" thing… Myself (and I would assume 99% of American's) could care less what country the winner of the Stanley Cup plays in.
I don't think it would matter if it was a regular occurrence, but a Canadian team hasn't won since 93.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:53 PM
  #40
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,437
vCash: 500
It's always the underdog

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:58 PM
  #41
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,141
vCash: 50
Vancouver will never be "Canada's team".

Ottawa will be the one everyone cheers for because of their semi-underdog status. I really hope the CBC plays up the Ottawa story and leaves the Canucks alone for the most part.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:21 PM
  #42
BonMorrison
Soco Amaretto Lime
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
lol so you're fully aware that your wrong and don't know the definition of words you use. I'll take it.
Or that I don't want to get into a back-and-forth argument because we both know that neither of us will admit to being wrong, big man.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:32 PM
  #43
darglor
Registered User
 
darglor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
Vancouver will never be "Canada's team".

Ottawa will be the one everyone cheers for because of their semi-underdog status. I really hope the CBC plays up the Ottawa story and leaves the Canucks alone for the most part.
What CBC loves about this is that it can likely show both in a doubleheader every night.. or alternate nights. Either way, they're smiling all the way to the bank.

darglor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 04:18 PM
  #44
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Calgary in 2004 was the biggest bunch of fairweather, bandwagon jumping, any excuse to party fans I've ever seen.
Isn't that the same with every team that goes on a deep run?

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:33 PM
  #45
jbeck5
Registered User
 
jbeck5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonMorrison View Post
Or that I don't want to get into a back-and-forth argument because we both know that neither of us will admit to being wrong, big man.
well maybe you tell me what i said specifically that made you call me a fairweather fan?

Use the definition you learned today for a guideline. Go on. You can do it. Use your big boy words.

You can't just insult someone, then run away when called out about it.


Last edited by jbeck5: 04-05-2012 at 05:38 PM.
jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:44 PM
  #46
Hammer Time
Registered User
 
Hammer Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,706
vCash: 500
There isn't one. I just don't see many Flames/Oilers/Jets/Leafs/Habs fans actively rooting for either Vancouver or Ottawa.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:00 PM
  #47
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,962
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSE View Post
Canada is jealous of Nucks!

Ottawa for the underdog story but really nobody..

Nashville ftw!
fixed...

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.