Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2012, 09:59 PM
chewerjones

vCash: 500
If the Steelheads keep this winning, they will be buyers in late December.

They need another strong Dman, 2 scorers up front, and a solid OA forward. They have some draft picks and prospects to trade to teams that are buyers and want to secure some future talent and picks.

It will be a tough call for James Boyd in December, as Demelo, Percy, Brace, Cord wont be back next year, and to let them walk for nothing, will be tough?????

Old
10-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Torts

Situation they are in I say you just got with it as is right now, keep giving the young guys the ice time. Older guys will not be angry cause they are winning and see what becomes available.

I wouldn't want them to move too many pieces for someone who may only play half a year.

Just go out every night and work hard for the 2 points! I love it!

Old
10-31-2012, 05:17 PM
NHL Fanatic

London has a plethora of young forwards that may entice Mississauga. Dylan Demelo may be a good trade piece, but on the other hand you need a defensemen to replace him.

Old
10-31-2012, 08:12 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
London has a plethora of young forwards that may entice Mississauga. Dylan Demelo may be a good trade piece, but on the other hand you need a defensemen to replace him.
It is wide open this year in the East and Missy can make it to the finals with consistent goaltending, and playing a good system.

The way Percy has been playing, you wouldnt miss him at all. Thats scary to think of, because they would definitely need Percy during the stretch run.

Even in the west, there are no clear favourites. OS is shaky, Guelph is too young, London and Plymouth are the two most consistent favourites, but Plymouth can crap the bed anytime. Only London would be considered a real threat.

Hey, if they secure an OA scoring forward, and make a trade for older forwards by using their prospects and trades, then they would instantly secure a solid offensive lline.

Old
11-01-2012, 01:21 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
I agree with your assessment on London and possibly Demelo, but not that they need to replace with another D. If you only remove Demelo on the back end, there is enough still there to be okay since Duhaime could always return to the back end and Zottl would be a back-up. Duhaime is doing well as a forward, but he was initially drafted as a D. Zottl is not ready for F/T play yet, but could get there with some work on his skating since he does have some size.

The D is not the concern because there is some depth there. They don't have too much trouble keeping the puck out of the net, they need more of put the puck in the net and guys that are consistently shooters.

Old
11-01-2012, 02:50 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
I agree with your assessment on London and possibly Demelo, but not that they need to replace with another D. If you only remove Demelo on the back end, there is enough still there to be okay since Duhaime could always return to the back end and Zottl would be a back-up. Duhaime is doing well as a forward, but he was initially drafted as a D. Zottl is not ready for F/T play yet, but could get there with some work on his skating since he does have some size.

The D is not the concern because there is some depth there. They don't have too much trouble keeping the puck out of the net, they need more of put the puck in the net and guys that are consistently shooters.
They are trying to prepare Zottl by giving him minutes, he reminds me a lot of Jacob Graves last season. He will need ice time to develop, but obviously it takes time at the beginning. They should use him as the 7th defensemen though and put Diodati back on D.

Old
11-02-2012, 11:41 PM
shello
@WShello9

Damn, really would've liked to see Martin get the shutout but looks like another impressive game. I didn't watch so I'm only judging based of the score here though haha.

Old
11-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Steel Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
Damn, really would've liked to see Martin get the shutout but looks like another impressive game. I didn't watch so I'm only judging based of the score here though haha.
Great win last night, this Steelheads team just keeps on winning! Unfortunately Martin couldn't pick up that shutout though. Next game vs McDavid and his Otters will be a fun game to see.

Old
11-03-2012, 10:37 AM
dirk

Just wondering is Spenser Cobbold hurt?.....havent seen him in the lineup for a few games now.

Old
11-04-2012, 09:44 AM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Toe View Post
Great win last night, this Steelheads team just keeps on winning! Unfortunately Martin couldn't pick up that shutout though. Next game vs McDavid and his Otters will be a fun game to see.
Yea I'm thinking of paying to stream the game.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Torts

another win today, also held mcdavid to just 1 point. interesting to see if boyd pulls a trigger on a trade sooner or waits till the deadline

group of guys playing well right now. harvey has left the team i dunno where and i think cobbold is hurt.

Old
11-04-2012, 05:46 PM
JSavoire

Definitely exceeding expectations...I must admit they're actually exciting to watch compared to some of the ultra defensive teams (of which Missy was supposed to be).

Old
11-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Steel Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
Definitely exceeding expectations...I must admit they're actually exciting to watch compared to some of the ultra defensive teams (of which Missy was supposed to be).
This team has the 3rd best winning % in the league, 9-1 in last 10 and riding a 5 game winning streak ! Not to shabby for a team that everyone was throwing under the bus at beginning on the season.
This team is fun to watch, they just out work there opposition and play great on the defensive side and hard the forecheck. The need to add another offensive threat , will they use that OA card to plug that hole?

Old
11-04-2012, 06:23 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
This team has the 3rd best winning % in the league, 9-1 in last 10 and riding a 5 game winning streak ! Not to shabby for a team that everyone was throwing under the bus at beginning on the season.
This team is fun to watch, they just out work there opposition and play great on the defensive side and hard the forecheck. The need to add another offensive threat , will they use that OA card to plug that hole?
From what it sounds like they will. Said it earlier but if you told me at the beginning of the year they'd have this record in a few weeks I'd say you were nuts.

Old
11-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Torts

i really think charlie sarault could be an option. played minor midget with brace and wouldnt require a kings ransom in return.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:02 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
This is still a rebuilding team so I'm gonna make the expert guess and say they'll want some added offensive depth but will take it in the form of a guy they can develop and keep around for a year or two at least. Not sure you wanna change a successful game plan about now. If they start to scorch things up in the league and are really playing out of this world weeks from now, I'd revisit that for sure.

Old
11-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Percyma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
i really think charlie sarault could be an option. played minor midget with brace and wouldnt require a kings ransom in return.
While I'm hearing that Sarault is indeed available, players like him - who scored 87 points last season - don't come cheap.

Old
11-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Steel Toe

Another big win tonight , these 2 pts puts them in 2nd in conference just behind the Colts!
Another scoring effort tonight by committee ....

Old
11-10-2012, 09:58 AM
superspitfan99

Although the opening minutes of the game last night had Martin looking a little shaky, he was able to settle in and play more like himself. The Niagara team is fast and play hard.

Percy and DeMelo were on for all 3 of the goals against. They let them walk in at times. Not very impressive for what is suppose to be the top 2 D on the team and please don't anyone tell me it's because they were tired from the game the day before. They garner a lot of ice time on this team so they should be able to handle 2 games in 2 nights.

Cord - hardest working player of the game....really? Of all of the guys out there they picked him in this game?

Carrick had a great game offensively, probably because he will actually shoot the puck with some aim, not hit the player in front, be a mile wide or high!

It was a nice win - keep up the hard work!

Old
11-11-2012, 12:06 PM
shello
@WShello9

Who's starting today?

Old
11-11-2012, 04:11 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Although the opening minutes of the game last night had Martin looking a little shaky, he was able to settle in and play more like himself. The Niagara team is fast and play hard.

Percy and DeMelo were on for all 3 of the goals against. They let them walk in at times. Not very impressive for what is suppose to be the top 2 D on the team and please don't anyone tell me it's because they were tired from the game the day before. They garner a lot of ice time on this team so they should be able to handle 2 games in 2 nights.

Cord - hardest working player of the game....really? Of all of the guys out there they picked him in this game?

Carrick had a great game offensively, probably because he will actually shoot the puck with some aim, not hit the player in front, be a mile wide or high!

It was a nice win - keep up the hard work!
Cord had a few points setting up Carrick and they were the best dmen tandem for Missy. AND YES, CORD WAS THE HARDEST WORKER, AS HE HIT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT, AND WAS A PHYSICAL FORCE THAT NIAGARA COULDNT HANDLE.

Percy is slacking and Demelo is holding his own, but if Percy doesnt shake out of it, they will continue to get exposed. They are great shut down guys, but not physical enough to buy some room for themselves, and thats why Carrick and Cord have been very effective lately.

They should go after Sarault and Trocheck, who can be had for prospects and draft choices. Both Sarnia and Saginaw can be sellers?

Old
11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
NHL Fanatic

The most impressive thing about this team is their defense. Only 2 players on the team have a minus rating.

Old
11-11-2012, 08:43 PM
JSavoire

Quote:
The most impressive thing about this team is their defense. Only 2 players on the team have a minus rating.
It's got to be the attention to detail and the team buy into the System literally down to a man (and some luck of course), but this team continues to gain momentum. That experience will help every player on the team for sure going into the latter half of the season where more desperate hockey will be played.

Old
11-11-2012, 09:04 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSavoire View Post
It's got to be the attention to detail and the team buy into the System literally down to a man (and some luck of course), but this team continues to gain momentum. That experience will help every player on the team for sure going into the latter half of the season where more desperate hockey will be played.
10-0 when leading after 2 periods.

Old
11-12-2012, 12:40 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
10-0 when leading after 2 periods.
Boyd certainly gets the most out of the boys. Great work! Gotta love the pick up from Barrie for an 8th rd pick!

Closed Thread