*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2012-13 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Crottenham

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Exactly. 1st and 2nd rd picks are generally expected to make the team at 16.
Good point. Based on what I read at the time, 2nd round was a bit of a flyer for this player.....best of luck to him with the Wolverines, great program!

Old
01-09-2013, 12:02 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
Good point. Based on what I read at the time, 2nd round was a bit of a flyer for this player.....best of luck to him with the Wolverines, great program!
Jared is a good player, to me he was clearly the 3rd best d-man on that loaded team last year. I am just leary if he will ever be strong enough to compete with boys much bigger.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Crottenham

Quote:
Jared is a good player, to me he was clearly the 3rd best d-man on that loaded team last year. I am just leary if he will ever be strong enough to compete with boys much bigger.
A commitment to training will go a long way....many kids don't put on serious muscle mass until 18-19 so the college route may be the best for him all things being equal anyway.

The St.Mikes website lists him at 5"11' 175lbs; with that frame there is no reason he can't add 15-20 lbs. until he reports, particularly since he probably isn't finished growing height-wise, given his age.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:10 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crottenham View Post
A commitment to training will go a long way....many kids don't put on serious muscle mass until 18-19 so the college route may be the best for him all things being equal anyway.

The St.Mikes website lists him at 5"11' 175lbs; with that frame there is no reason he can't add 15-20 lbs. until he reports, particularly since he probably isn't finished growing height-wise, given his age.
I doubt he is that height, don't think his frame can put on that kind of weight as muscle. The kid just isn't that big. Maybe that's OK for college hockey, he is a really smart player so maybe it will work out, I'm rooting for him.

Old
01-09-2013, 12:26 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Probably a lot more than the 8th rd pick that was given up for him.
Wouldn't you need Smoskowitz next year as your leader on a young team?
I doubt the team trades him. Players speak highly of him off the ice. In the games I've seen recently I came out not impressed. It looks like all the goals are going to his head. He needs to move the puck and isn't really that committed on the back check. But he has been scoring consistently which this team needs.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:00 AM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I doubt he is that height, don't think his frame can put on that kind of weight as muscle. The kid just isn't that big. Maybe that's OK for college hockey, he is a really smart player so maybe it will work out, I'm rooting for him.
Ya he is closer to 5-9 160. I was pretty surprised at how early he went in the draft, but he deserves a ton of credit, Walsh has really surprised me this year. One of the better rookie Dmen in the OJHL. Good luck to him moving forward at Michigan. He was a little warrior last year, tough and fearless. Pretty darn good baseball player as well, great athlete. Mississauga must be disappointed.

Old
01-10-2013, 08:42 AM
superspitfan99

Trade deadline day....will anything be done at the 11th hour?

Old
01-10-2013, 11:49 AM
superspitfan99

11:50 and no news....I just don't get it? Could Cord and Brace be possible trades since they are both OA?

Old
01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
11:50 and no news....I just don't get it? Could Cord and Brace be possible trades since they are both OA?
OA deadline passed yesterday, looks like Boydy will just stand pat. Pretty confused by this move. Haven't heard nothing from the brass.

Old
01-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Deadline was yesterday for OA's.

Old
01-10-2013, 02:23 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
OA deadline passed yesterday, looks like Boydy will just stand pat. Pretty confused by this move. Haven't heard nothing from the brass.
I think if we get the quality goaltending we were getting a month ago we will be competetive.

Looking forward to tonights game. Gotta beat the Colts!

Old
01-10-2013, 03:37 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
I think if we get the quality goaltending we were getting a month ago we will be competetive.

Looking forward to tonights game. Gotta beat the Colts!
I think you might be as delusional as Boyd.

Am I shocked that Boyd has sat back, no....am I confused as to why and what he THINKS the team's potential is this year - yep!

Old
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I think you might be as delusional as Boyd.

Am I shocked that Boyd has sat back, no....am I confused as to why and what he THINKS the team's potential is this year - yep!
I don't think for a second that the team can go very far, I do think they can win a series and be competetive.

Believe me, I expected some player movement one way or the other.

Old
01-10-2013, 03:45 PM
chewerjones

Price was too steep for players and I believe that they are not convinced that they can win and thus didnt buy, but are not convinced that they will lose, and thus didnt sell???

They should have gotten into the game earlier on. When you try to move with the big boys, and you are uncertain, then you will be steamrolled.

They better hope that Percy, Demelo come back next year as OAs so they can fetch some prospects. If not, then their cupboards are bare. They will lose Brace, Cord and Teichman.

World of hurt.

Old
01-10-2013, 04:06 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Price was too steep for players and I believe that they are not convinced that they can win and thus didnt buy, but are not convinced that they will lose, and thus didnt sell???

They should have gotten into the game earlier on. When you try to move with the big boys, and you are uncertain, then you will be steamrolled.

They better hope that Percy, Demelo come back next year as OAs so they can fetch some prospects. If not, then their cupboards are bare. They will lose Brace, Cord and Teichman.

World of hurt.
I completely agree!!! Let's consider this...Boyd doesn't care because he knows he won't have a job next year anyways and wants to keep going with the best that he can have right now?

Old
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM
wikiwikiwiki

Can't believe they didn't trade teskey when we clearly wants out. I guess they couldn't fetch anything for him.

Old
01-10-2013, 06:24 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikiwiki View Post
Can't believe they didn't trade teskey when we clearly wants out. I guess they couldn't fetch anything for him.
Teskey barely played on Missy, and I guess other teams were not willing to part with their prospects or draft picks for a underachiever.

First rounders in the OHL, have to know how to skate. GM and Scouts should know better.

Old
01-11-2013, 11:34 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Teskey barely played on Missy, and I guess other teams were not willing to part with their prospects or draft picks for a underachiever.

First rounders in the OHL, have to know how to skate. GM and Scouts should know better.
I'd be suprised if you see him in many more games this year. He asked for a trade, wasn't worth the paper his contract is on, so now he has to suck it up and take what he gets!!!

On another note, does anyone know if the Rogers OHL channel is covering both the Sudbury and Soo games this weekend? If I recall on of those places doesn't get coverage?

Old
01-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
I'd be suprised if you see him in many more games this year. He asked for a trade, wasn't worth the paper his contract is on, so now he has to suck it up and take what he gets!!!

On another note, does anyone know if the Rogers OHL channel is covering both the Sudbury and Soo games this weekend? If I recall on of those places doesn't get coverage?
Sudbury is on tonight.

Boys played very well for first half of game last night. It seemed like they conked out.

Old
01-11-2013, 02:19 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Sudbury is on tonight.

Boys played very well for first half of game last night. It seemed like they conked out.
Thanks for the info. Yes, they did play well last night, but as always if you only play 2 lines constantly, by the 3rd period there's not much left in the tank!

Old
01-11-2013, 04:35 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

Yes- Ch 471 tonight vs Sudbury, and Ch 468 tomorrow vs Soo.

Old
01-11-2013, 04:40 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Sudbury is on tonight.

Steeleheads need scoring. When your dman scores 3 times and you cant win, thats poor.

Mississauga needs to start drafting kids that have skill and can score.

They want robots and kids that are big, and play north south, so they stay away from the smallish , skilled players.

Bourne has pretty much been a disappointment this year. He has all the tools, but is either held back or just cant become a scorer.

Under Cameron and the Mem Cup run, they were successful because they had all older kids. The next year they lost 11 players from their active roster. They didnt have 1 kid that was in his natural rookie year.

Things have to change.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:00 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Steeleheads need scoring. When your dman scores 3 times and you cant win, thats poor.

Mississauga needs to start drafting kids that have skill and can score.

They want robots and kids that are big, and play north south, so they stay away from the smallish , skilled players.

Bourne has pretty much been a disappointment this year. He has all the tools, but is either held back or just cant become a scorer.

Under Cameron and the Mem Cup run, they were successful because they had all older kids. The next year they lost 11 players from their active roster. They didnt have 1 kid that was in his natural rookie year.

Things have to change.
They are going to have problems next year. With the fact that 5 93's have to go (Demelo and Percy could be obvious ones), Brace and Cord are gone. Now what? The top draft picks for the last couple of years have turned out to be duds. You have Carrick and a couple of guys with limited icetime on the back end (assuming Diodati might be one of the 93's to go). Doesn't really leave much on the back end. You have nothing to use for trade bait to get anything. Again, now what?

Watching the last couple of games, he's got those top 2 lines on all the time, PK, PP and he even pulled the use a forward instead of D for the PP last night. He's burning them out by 3rd period and I'd say by the way he looks lately he's burning Burnside out completely. They don't have enough good forwards to lose an opportunity to put the puck in the net. Hottot should not have been playing D on the PP, his big butt should have been right in the goalie's face!!!!

Old
01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Luvtowatch

We need some scoring! If Smosky doesn't score, we lose.
Totally outplayed Windsor last night, been playing well defensively, just can't win.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Crottenham

Quote:
We need some scoring! If Smosky doesn't score, we lose.
Totally outplayed Windsor last night, been playing well defensively, just can't win.
How has Welsh looked lately now thqat he has had time to settle in?

Closed Thread