10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
NHL Fanatic

vCash: 500
Barrie deals Dylan Smoskowitz to Mississauga for an 8th round pick in 2014

Old
10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
Torts

Windsor and Smoskowitz in one day. Dunno how I feel about these. Windsor is a need because of Martin. Smoskowitz deal came out of the blue imo

Old
10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Spencer Martin is having surgery, Steelheads are in search of a back up goalie
Oh my gosh, how disappointing for him - he looked fantastic in the game or two I saw him play.

Old
10-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Torts

Smosky gets one in his first game as a steelhead, if he keeps scoring he can stay!

Old
10-04-2012, 07:22 PM
Jack Daniels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Demelo or Percy?
Percy would do.Rangers need a top defenceman to play with ryan murphy.

Old
10-04-2012, 09:05 PM
NHL Fanatic

Teichmann played solid tonight in the loss. I saw on twitter according to Mattbthg it looks like Spencer Martin will not be having surgery after all.

Old
10-05-2012, 06:24 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Cornell View Post
Steelheads got Clint Windsor from Saginaw for a 2014 5th rounder and the rights to Kevin Irwin (93 birthyear and playing in the USHL)
Ya, that's what we need, another 93. How about getting an O/A that can put the puck in the net. Brace is a dogger this year. The front end is working hard, but they just don't have the goal scorers and the older guys that should aren't.

Old
10-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Smosky gets one in his first game as a steelhead, if he keeps scoring he can stay!
Kid has been a producer at every level. He just needs the chance to play and not sit in the coach's doghouse like he did all last year.

Old
10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Kid has been a producer at every level. He just needs the chance to play and not sit in the coach's doghouse like he did all last year.
i already like him as an OA next year over Foy, Harvey and Rasmussen

Old
10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Kloparren
Hth

I can take the lack of scoring chances so far but the lack of organization especially on that second goal where the back checkers were comletely out of the picture was really dissapointing.

Old
10-08-2012, 11:19 PM
Kloparren
Hth

Carrick took a delay of game and then got beat on a 1 on 1 but at least made the shot that got deflected for the 2nd goal against Brampton. Man I feel for Brampton, always such a boring team offensively. Ours making too many bad giveaways and they have trouble clearing the zone sometimes which you think they wouldn't with that D. Also really frustrating that our PP sucks is near the bottom which is understandable but the PK is struggling too and I don't understand that considering the dmen on the team.

At least Smoke (I can't spell out his name so I'm calling him that now) got 3 goals in 3 and they did a nice job of taking it to OT twice.

EDIT: Apparently we got away with a goal there on a PK which should've been to many men on the ice lol.

Old
10-09-2012, 05:48 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Carrick took a delay of game and then got beat on a 1 on 1 but at least made the shot that got deflected for the 2nd goal against Brampton. Man I feel for Brampton, always such a boring team offensively. Ours making too many bad giveaways and they have trouble clearing the zone sometimes which you think they wouldn't with that D. Also really frustrating that our PP sucks is near the bottom which is understandable but the PK is struggling too and I don't understand that considering the dmen on the team.

At least Smoke (I can't spell out his name so I'm calling him that now) got 3 goals in 3 and they did a nice job of taking it to OT twice.

EDIT: Apparently we got away with a goal there on a PK which should've been to many men on the ice lol.
IMO Carrick is not a consistent player this year. He has his moments, and then is struggling at times. The clearing the zone issue isn't really due to the D I don't think. They are making that first pass and then having the play turn right back at them. The forward lines need to work on the breakout. Brampton is a team that puts a lot of pressure on the D and are very physical. This is where the forwards have to be strong enough to help out. It's obvious work is needed on that. That being said, the Steelheads are a very hard working team and don't give up. That has been proven in a few games this season. This and a couple good trades for some point scorers will make all the difference.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:00 PM
mapleleaf979

Drafting Bourne 11th overall and Walsh in the second round will set this franchise back even further. They had one of the worst drafts in my opinion in 2012. They should fire every scout they have.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Drafting Bourne 11th overall and Walsh in the second round will set this franchise back even further. They had one of the worst drafts in my opinion in 2012. They should fire every scout they have.
Mississauga will clean house, packaging Brace, Demelo and Percy can easily put the franchise back in the right direction. It's only a matter of time, you can't let franchise players walk for nothing. Percy and Demelo will unlikely be coming back for an OA year and Brace is done as an OA.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:23 PM
NHL Fanatic

Interesting to see Thomas Welsh at the game yesterday, he would be a welcomed addition and would play in the top 4 if Percy and Demelo are moved.

Old
10-09-2012, 12:57 PM
Luvtowatch

Quote:
Watched them both play many times, Bourne was as over rated as they get, Walsh could have been had in the 4th or 5th rd. Lucky they scored on MacIntyre who looks very good.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:01 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Mississauga will clean house, packaging Brace, Demelo and Percy can easily put the franchise back in the right direction. It's only a matter of time, you can't let franchise players walk for nothing. Percy and Demelo will unlikely be coming back for an OA year and Brace is done as an OA.
I agree with the clean house assessment, but hope that he doesn't wait until the deadline to do it. If he has any chance next year or even to make the playoffs this year, he needs to start developing players.

Old
10-09-2012, 01:02 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
You can't judge a draft class 6 games into the season. Some players develop at faster rates than others. Dominating minor midget means squat now, its what the players do from here on out.

Old
10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvtowatch View Post
Watched them both play many times, Bourne was as over rated as they get, Walsh could have been had in the 4th or 5th rd. Lucky they scored on MacIntyre who looks very good.
I agree with u on MacIntyre thats why I left him out. I watched Bourne 40-50 times last year and got a great feel for his game. He was very inconsistent. I liked some things about his game but I wouldnt have taken him in the first round. With the Walsh pick, my eyes popped out of my head. I like Walsh at the minor midget level, he was fierce at times and skated decently, had nice tape to tape passes. His size will hold him back, his boardwork is below average, yes he competed hard. Boardwork is huge for a Dman in the OHL. He wont be able to outmuscle anyone in front of the net and will never be an elite skater. Walsh's size is a limiting factor here. If Walsh is ever given a chance he will struggle greatly. Im 100% sure on that. Ive seen Walsh play 100 times. Back to Bourne, he is struggling more than I thought, although his skating stride never looked technically sound. His timing right now breaking out of the zone is way off. He doesnt have good explosion and that will be harder to get for a kid 6-5. This may sound crazy but I bet Bourne could be converted into a good Defenseman. He skates well for a Dman not forward, has an insane reach, good hands, good boardwork, can show a nasty side, big shot from the point on the PP.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-09-2012 at 06:18 PM.
Old
10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
mapleleaf979

I think they did ok with some of the later picks. I like Dawson Carty. I like Keaton Ratcliffe. They drafted alot of small/undersized players. 8 of the 15 players were 5-10 or shorter and some of those 5-10's are even shorter than that. To add to that at 7 of them are weigh under 165.

Old
10-10-2012, 11:29 AM
superspitfan99

Quote:
I agree with u on MacIntyre thats why I left him out. I watched Bourne 40-50 times last year and got a great feel for his game. He was very inconsistent. I liked some things about his game but I wouldnt have taken him in the first round. With the Walsh pick, my eyes popped out of my head. I like Walsh at the minor midget level, he was fierce at times and skated decently, had nice tape to tape passes. His size will hold him back, his boardwork is below average, yes he competed hard. Boardwork is huge for a Dman in the OHL. He wont be able to outmuscle anyone in front of the net and will never be an elite skater. Walsh's size is a limiting factor here. If Walsh is ever given a chance he will struggle greatly. Im 100% sure on that. Ive seen Walsh play 100 times. Back to Bourne, he is struggling more than I thought, although his skating stride never looked technically sound. His timing right now breaking out of the zone is way off. He doesnt have good explosion and that will be harder to get for a kid 6-5. This may sound crazy but I bet Bourne could be converted into a good Defenseman. He skates well for a Dman not forward, has an insane reach, good hands, good boardwork, can show a nasty side, big shot from the point on the PP.
I like McIntyre as well. The kid is fearless (which might get him killed given his size) and given his age, I think he will come along and be a producer eventually. As for Bourne as a Dman....well, I would agree that he's not so impressive right now as a forward and with his size, his reach would be great on D, but I can't agree with his boardwork. He's weak on his feet and when pushed, gets knocked off the puck quite easily. I guess time will tell, maybe if he can gain some strength as he matures he may become better and more consistent.

Old
10-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Kloparren
Hth

Is that a new mississauga colour commentatator I hear?

Old
10-13-2012, 09:01 PM
mcreferee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
really bad news today from @PollardOHL as Spencer Martin has a knee injury and may require surgery. steelheads supposdly in rush to find a goalie as teichmann only other goalie on roster
So what happened? Just wondering how Spencer Martin needs knee surgery and there is a frantic need to acquire another goaltender (Windsor) and then, within a week, Martin is playing and now the team has a three goalie carousel? I'm glad he's well and playing, but just wondering how this got so overblown?

Old
10-13-2012, 09:16 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcreferee View Post
So what happened? Just wondering how Spencer Martin needs knee surgery and there is a frantic need to acquire another goaltender (Windsor) and then, within a week, Martin is playing and now the team has a three goalie carousel? I'm glad he's well and playing, but just wondering how this got so overblown?
The kid had an option to have surgery and he opted out. The injury was not as significant as originally predicted.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 10-13-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old
10-13-2012, 09:28 PM
mcreferee

Quote:
The kid had an option to have surgery and he opted out. The injury was as significant as originally predicted.
So what does this mean long term? Is this something he can play the year with, as it will have no significant consequences, and he can have the surgery in the off season? I can see the validity of him wanting to play, provided there are no long term issues. That said, going from requiring surgery for a significant injury one day, to being able to play a week later is puzzling. Also...I'd be concerned the rigours of his position may take a toll on the injury. I imagine the team staff would not be playing him if there were long term consequences, but it does seem a quick recovery.

Closed Thread