HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ribeiro

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-26-2004, 04:07 PM
  #1
Anthony P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
Ribeiro

I used to post on another forum which shall remain nameless that really hated Ribeiro for his playoff "incident...." I remember thinking to myself during that series that Boston really played a dirty game.... cross checking our players into the boards and slashing them left and right while still not drawing a penalty..... now I really don't like a player that fakes injuries (and I still don't know whether Ribeiro did or not) but at times when the refs put their whistles away I can tolerate it)....I was just wondering what you guys thought of him....

IMO he's a good playmaker with good speed and hockey sense.... he lacks toughness and has some issues with 2 way play but I think he has good potential for the future....

What do you guys think....

Anthony P is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 04:18 PM
  #2
Hab at it
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,639
vCash: 500
I agree that he's a good set up man but disagree with the speed issue. I feel that that is one of his weak points. Personally I think he's a temporary fill in for the habs. He's great in open style games but as soon as any kind of tight checking comes along he vanishes, ala the playoffs last year. He doesn't have good strength so is knocked off the puck too easily and while he has good moves and will sometimes score those highlight reel type goals he tries that drag play too often and one of these days someone is going to run over him when he tries it.

Hab at it is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 04:28 PM
  #3
aHab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Finland
Posts: 46
vCash: 500
Excellent vision, very good playmaker.

Heart? Grit? Character? Skating?

Really pleasent surpise last season. Still young and developing player. I think he still has a lot of growing to do, both physically and mentally. I'm glad Canadiens drafted him. Habs will either get great 2nd line center of him or great trade asset. I don't think however that he'll ever becomes a real top line center and go-to guy in NHL.

aHab is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 04:49 PM
  #4
HabsoluteFate
Registered User
 
HabsoluteFate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 4,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it
I agree that he's a good set up man but disagree with the speed issue. I feel that that is one of his weak points. Personally I think he's a temporary fill in for the habs. He's great in open style games but as soon as any kind of tight checking comes along he vanishes, ala the playoffs last year. He doesn't have good strength so is knocked off the puck too easily and while he has good moves and will sometimes score those highlight reel type goals he tries that drag play too often and one of these days someone is going to run over him when he tries it.
I would cut him a bit of slack on the entire playoff performance, keep in mind this was his first taste of NHL playoff action. To be honest I thought he was still as effective but for some reason Ryder just couldn't burry the many chances he got playing with Ribeiro. I feel the same about Ryder I think both players are smart enough to learn from this. Ribeiro will never be a physical player but you don't need to be a physical player to survive in the NHL, what he lacks physically he more than makes up with his vision of the game and how smart he is on the ice. Yes he has to be able to take the hits but I think he's shown he can do it, he flourished this year and the players kept giving him less and less room to play with and although it seemed to stop him for a while he found a way around it...he's too smart not to learn from last year's playoffs.

HabsoluteFate is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 06:48 PM
  #5
Anthony P
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
hmmmm you all raise good points.... wonder if he's one of those types of players that the teams need to get them to the playoffs eventhough he may disappear in the postseason....and that benefit could potentially outweigh the fact he could possibly disappear in the playoffs??? he did have a remarkable season.... I think if we did lose him our season play could diminish significantly.... possibly even jeopardizing it?

Anthony P is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 07:27 PM
  #6
Corey
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P
hmmmm you all raise good points.... wonder if he's one of those types of players that the teams need to get them to the playoffs eventhough he may disappear in the postseason....and that benefit could potentially outweigh the fact he could possibly disappear in the playoffs??? he did have a remarkable season.... I think if we did lose him our season play could diminish significantly.... possibly even jeopardizing it?
With Koivu, Bonk, and Plekanec, how bad could it get? IMO not very.

Corey is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 09:08 PM
  #7
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Bob Gainey should assignate Ribeiro to the Hamilton Bulldogs. Gavin Morgan should not be there, he's a ECHLer.

Taupy is offline  
Old
11-26-2004, 09:57 PM
  #8
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
Bob Gainey should assignate Ribeiro to the Hamilton Bulldogs. Gavin Morgan should not be there, he's a ECHLer.
I agree with this entirelly at the moment.

x-bob is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 12:01 AM
  #9
marvelousmotion
Registered User
 
marvelousmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
Bob Gainey should assignate Ribeiro to the Hamilton Bulldogs. Gavin Morgan should not be there, he's a ECHLer.
worddd man ! he really should.

marvelousmotion is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 07:59 AM
  #10
boomboom
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
I dont get why people hate Ribeiro, so what if he did or did not fake it....he still got 2 goals the game after. The guy will be in the Habs organization for a long time....
As for his toughness, well he s 175 lbs... he cant be tough, but he s not injurie prone eather. He s a playmaker and good at it to. He can make anyone better than they are by the plays he makes, the thing is that they have to score.

boomboom is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 10:23 AM
  #11
x-bob
Registered User
 
x-bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
I dont get why people hate Ribeiro, so what if he did or did not fake it....he still got 2 goals the game after. The guy will be in the Habs organization for a long time....
As for his toughness, well he s 175 lbs... he cant be tough, but he s not injurie prone eather. He s a playmaker and good at it to. He can make anyone better than they are by the plays he makes, the thing is that they have to score.
I don't hate him. He's actually one of my favorite players even after him faking.

x-bob is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 10:36 AM
  #12
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Pros....

1. Excellent vision
2. Good hockey sense
3. Great passer
4. Cockyness (can also be a bad thing though if taken outa hand)

Cons....

1. Skating (avg for a player of his calibre)
2. Size (weight but mostly lower body strength)
3. Shot (Same as Saku, but a con non the less)
4. Determination (perhaps to early to tell, but it seems lacking at times.)
5. Two-way game, although its not as bad as advertized.

Overall, Ribs could make an excellent second line centre if he could improve apon a few more of his weaknesses, especially skating, and possible lower body strength. Add some determination to that skill set, and Ribs could be a very good first line centre/ Excellent second line centre. Will he improve in those areas? That remains to be seen.....................

Mooch is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 11:00 AM
  #13
jcpenny
Registered User
 
jcpenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,878
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Pros....

1. Excellent vision
2. Good hockey sense
3. Great passer
4. Cockyness (can also be a bad thing though if taken outa hand)

Cons....

1. Skating (avg for a player of his calibre)
2. Size (weight but mostly lower body strength)
3. Shot (Same as Saku, but a con non the less)
4. Determination (perhaps to early to tell, but it seems lacking at times.)
5. Two-way game, although its not as bad as advertized.

Overall, Ribs could make an excellent second line centre if he could improve apon a few more of his weaknesses, especially skating, and possible lower body strength. Add some determination to that skill set, and Ribs could be a very good first line centre/ Excellent second line centre. Will he improve in those areas? That remains to be seen.....................
About his determination, i dont think he lacks some, its just his style of play that is so relax that make it seems like hes not working hard. I watched him during the playoffs and he did bring it. If ryder had score half of his chances and had he had a better linemate than Dags things would have been different. One thing id like him to do is to hit the gym like a football player would do. Ive seen him during these Caravane games and it didnt seem like he got bigger.

jcpenny is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 11:34 AM
  #14
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 20,552
vCash: 500
I liked Stephan Lebeau. Mondou was okay. I was ready to like Cassels, but never got the chance. Even Chabot was fine, but that's partly because I hated Bobby Smith yet resented the fact that Lafleur had to suffer the indignity of playing with Chabot.

But for whatever reason I seem to hate Ribeiro. (In a player-fan "hatred" way, of course. (I don't really hate).)

Blind Gardien is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 11:42 AM
  #15
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Pros....

1. Excellent vision
2. Good hockey sense
3. Great passer
4. Cockyness (can also be a bad thing though if taken outa hand)
You're forgetting his god-like stickhandling.

Taupy is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 11:59 AM
  #16
Duster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
I liked Stephan Lebeau. Mondou was okay. I was ready to like Cassels, but never got the chance. Even Chabot was fine, but that's partly because I hated Bobby Smith yet resented the fact that Lafleur had to suffer the indignity of playing with Chabot.

But for whatever reason I seem to hate Ribeiro. (In a player-fan "hatred" way, of course. (I don't really hate).)
I was ready to like Cassels too. I followed his junior career in Ottawa and was pleased when he was drafted by the Habs. Too bad he asked Savard to be traded. I was a big fan of Bobby Smith.

Hate is a strong word. The thing about Ribeiro that I find annoying is the hype. He is a good player, not great, yet was and is hyped as the second coming by many. Perhaps the blame should not be put on him but rather on his fan club. He reminds me a lot of Craig Janney. On a small team like the Habs, you have to wonder if he would be a good long term solution as a No2 centre. No question, Koivu is a better all round player so the No1 slot is taken.

Duster is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 12:18 PM
  #17
Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=boomboom]I dont get why people hate Ribeiro,

Isn't it obvious why most hockey fans including the majority of Habs fans dislike him.

l. He can make anyone better than they are by the plays he makes,

Fan is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 12:19 PM
  #18
Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
You're forgetting his god-like stickhandling.

Fan is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 01:23 PM
  #19
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
You're forgetting his god-like stickhandling.
God like?

I wouldnt call it God like when compared to what Ilya Kovalchuck can do

Mooch is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 01:48 PM
  #20
goalchenyuk
Registered User
 
goalchenyuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: montreal
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 8,455
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Fan]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
I dont get why people hate Ribeiro,

Isn't it obvious why most hockey fans including the majority of Habs fans dislike him.

l. He can make anyone better than they are by the plays he makes,
???

goalchenyuk is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 01:51 PM
  #21
Taupy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,994
vCash: 500
I would not compare Ilya to God, but maybe Boudah.

Taupy is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 02:01 PM
  #22
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taupy
I would not compare Ilya to God, but maybe Boudah.
Well you started the "God like" notion, so i figured that since we were gona relate players to God, we may as well pick the best of em

And in that case, Iyla is miles ahead when it comes to stickhandeling.......

Mooch is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 02:20 PM
  #23
JOHNNY V
Registered User
 
JOHNNY V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BOSTON
Posts: 3,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch
Well you started the "God like" notion, so i figured that since we were gona relate players to God, we may as well pick the best of em

And in that case, Iyla is miles ahead when it comes to stickhandeling.......

VIVA LA WOODY

JOHNNY V is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 02:29 PM
  #24
Mooch
Registered User
 
Mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC/Toronto/Florida
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,960
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Mooch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNY V
VIVA LA WOODY

Sheesh, you just never learn do you Viva la Johnny vegas

Mooch is offline  
Old
11-27-2004, 04:33 PM
  #25
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny
 
Hackett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,841
vCash: 500
I always need to remind myslef that ribero is only 24 years old.

I don't think we need to trade ribs. I do like him. I'd like the team around him to get bigger. Yes, his skating is mediocre but I think he's learning the game pretty well. More and more, he seems to know where the "right place, right time" area is at the NHL level. This makes his speed less of an issue.

The way he sees the ice and his ability to dangle the puck is pretty rare in today's NHL so I'm willing to take the good with the bad on this guy.

Hackett is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.