Hooray!

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
It seems like forever. the fact that he hasn't warranted a callup over guys like Spurgeon, Prosser, Falk, or Stoner worries me a bit. I'm not calling him a bust yet because he's still here and may yet do something. But he's a top pick from the old regime that clearly doesn't have the full confidence of current management, so personally I'd say he has a bigger chance of being a bust than succeeding here. Won't be sad at all if he makes it. It boggles the mind that he could be worse than what we have. I figure Schultz departure would make room for him here.
He wasn't ready, losing 2 full years of development is huge. This year, they just wanted him to have stability. Anyway, I'm giving him another 2 years before I'm even thinking about dropping the bust label on him.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:08 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
It seems like forever. the fact that he hasn't warranted a callup over guys like Spurgeon, Prosser, Falk, or Stoner worries me a bit. I'm not calling him a bust yet because he's still here and may yet do something. But he's a top pick from the old regime that clearly doesn't have the full confidence of current management, so personally I'd say he has a bigger chance of being a bust than succeeding here. Won't be sad at all if he makes it. It boggles the mind that he could be worse than what we have. I figure Schultz departure would make room for him here.
I'm not that worried about him not getting a callup this year, before now. Essentially he hasn't played in two years. Let him find his game again down in the minors, don't rush him or put too much on his plate by bringing him up early.

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:15 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
like the optimism, but one year off of injuries or no I don't think he's in a great situation to succeed here and i'm positive the Wild couldn't get anything of note (or at all) for him in a trade unless he tipped the scales as a toss-in in a bigger deal. Will be nice to see him at camp and get a better idea as he's stacked up against everyone else we consider defensive prospects. he should stand out--if he doesn't, i'm calling him a bust.

rynryn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:17 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
getting injured isnt exactly a bust unless you are on an atv. cuma has a shot to be an nhler he just needs to stay healthy

Really hoping we get to see Cuma tomorrow night. Someone needs to slash Stoner in the knee or lock him in a closet to make sure this happens.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Tyler Cuma called up from Houston

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 07:53 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

another injury for Stoner...cementing my opinion in the Stoner or Falk debate.

Old
04-04-2012, 07:59 PM
State of Hockey

This has been a long time coming for Cuma. Hope he gets in. But of course I won't be able to pay much attention to the game tomorrow. Shoot I still haven't seen Zucker play.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:01 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
This has been a long time coming for Cuma. Hope he gets in. But of course I won't be able to pay much attention to the game tomorrow. Shoot I still haven't seen Zucker play.
What?! Can you record the games at all? Or just haven't had time to watch them?

Old
04-04-2012, 08:24 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
What?! Can you record the games at all? Or just haven't had time to watch them?
A combination of no DVR and being down in the South for a few days results in only being able to listen to some radio streaming here and there. And then on Thursday I'll be trying to help my bowling team win our league, so I won't be able to concentrate on the game. Been a little frustrating since Zucker and now Cuma will be auditioning.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 08:31 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
A combination of no DVR and being down in the South for a few days results in only being able to listen to some radio streaming here and there. And then on Thursday I'll be trying to help my bowling team win our league, so I won't be able to concentrate on the game. Been a little frustrating since Zucker and now Cuma will be auditioning.
Dang!! Talk about bad timing. I'm sure there are highlights on Wild.com, but it's not nearly as effective as watching him throughout a game.

Old
04-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I like bowling. I found it interesting and wish him luck. Not as much luck as Tyler Cuma, but a fair share of luck. I only have so much luck to wish at a time.

Old
04-04-2012, 09:42 PM
Ovechkid08

Really excited to see Cuma, as mentioned earlier, I think it was good for him to stay in Houston all year, he missed out on a lot of development and there was no need to rush him up. The guy is still a first round pick and while I haven't seen to much of him, he should be rather talented. My guess for next year is he plays a similar role to Scandella, up and down a bit as he adjusts to the game, but I am not going to call him a bust for at least 2 years of play. Typical Wild posters though, get mad when we rush prospects like Bouchard, Gillies and Sheppard and then get just as mad when we let them heal and develop their skills in the minors. At this point he doesn't seem to a be player that the organization is relying on for the future, but he still has the potential to be a solid addition to our younger core.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 09:55 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I think Cuma would be with the big club already had he not had those knee injuries. Now I just hope to see that he hasn't lost a step and is just as smooth a skater as ever.

A few years ago he looked like he could be a pretty damned good puck moving defenseman... who knows, maybe he still can be.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 10:02 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i think if he had been healthy he would have been given a nice look or two but I think it more likely they'd have traded him off. just a feeling i get.

Old
04-04-2012, 10:03 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
i think if he had been healthy he would have been given a nice look or two but I think it more likely they'd have traded him off. just a feeling i get.
Ok, I agree that a trade could have happened, I guess my real point is, he'd be in the NHL right now had those injuries not happened.

He still may get a full time job... who knows, it's just that he's had to prove himself completely all over again, and now this is the first chance he'll get to prove if he can (or can't) play in the NHL.

Old
04-04-2012, 11:13 PM
Ovechkid08

Quote:
Why would they consider trading him when he had such little value over the past few years. At this point there is only room for him to grow his value so why would anyone think of trading him so early into his career?

Tons the people in this upcoming draft have missed major time this year from injuries, do you think teams are going to draft them in the first round and then think of trading them only 3 years later before ever playing in the NHL?

Nothing management has done shows a dislike for Cuma, rather they put him on a very good AHL team and put him in the best position they could to develop his play, much like all of the prospects this team has drafted the past 2 years. D take time to develop and Cuma fell behind from fluke injuries. I'm pretty sure management understands that with a weak defense that we currently have, a young developing 1st round talent playing his first full season since being drafted, can be a good asset.

Ovechkid08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2012, 11:21 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

He was saying that due to his position, and our prospect list we've had there and our need elsewhere... just like we traded Leddy, we may have traded Cuma had he not been injured thus still had the value.

It was pure speculation... that can never be proven or disproven.

Prospects get traded all the time, how else would we have gotten Coyle if not for San Jose wanting Burns?

Old
04-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

Cuma's call-up made ESPN.

Slow news day?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:39 AM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 410
Cuma will wear 65. Hmmm. Karlsson 2.0???

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Must have came in on the wrong AP feed or something.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:38 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Most actual NHL news makes it to ESPN's website, which is run by people who actually get paid to cover hockey.

Now if it had made Sportcenter, I would be impressed.

Screw sportscenter tho.

Old
04-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
Most actual NHL news makes it to ESPN's website, which is run by people who actually get paid to cover hockey.

Now if it had made Sportcenter, I would be impressed.

Screw sportscenter tho.
It's amazing how little ESPN you watch when you have the NHL, MLB and NFL network to choose from.

Old
04-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
It's amazing how little ESPN you watch when you have the NHL, MLB and NFL network to choose from.
Cable One doesnt have NHL or MLB networks so I don't have those networks anymore. Really gonna be frustrating for me during the playoffs if there are games I really want to watch on NHL Network.

And I have not watched ESPN outside of the Frozen Four or Vikings Games on MNF or Twins Games on Sunday Night football in YEARS.

I honestly wish I could take the $6 of my bill that ESPN represents and just tell them to shut off all the ESPN channels. It's literally wasted money that I could spend elsewhere.

ESPN is totally irrelevant in my eyes.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I usually stick to NHL.com, TSN, and ESPN for my hockey news.

Russo's blog for Minnesota related stuff.

I feel like TSN gives me the biased Canadian point of view, while ESPN is the biased American point of view.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote