HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Carolina/Vancouver proposal:

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2004, 02:04 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanovski = Norris

I don't know if Carolina'd take this deal but I'd trade Koltsov, Chubarov and a 2nd rounder for Jeff O'Neill. Chubarov is great but I have a gut feeling that he's peaked despite being only 24 and a great 3rd-4th liner.

Carolina gets 3 young assets while Vancouver gets some added firepower for the playoffs. I don't think Rucinsky will resign so this will be our team next year if the trade goes down:

Naslund - Morrison - Bertuzzi
Sedin - Sedin - O'Neill
Ruutu - Kesler - Linden
May - Cooke - King / Keane

Cooke would move to center but I believe he is a natural center.
in previous discussions on Carolina-Vancouver possibilities, it seems pretty clear they'd have no interest in either Koltsov or Chubarov.

They are already fine down the middle, and a 3rd/4th line center isn't something they need... nor is an offensive dman who is still a prospect, as they have a few in the system, and guys like Richmond are already further along in development than Koltsov is, as is St. Jacques... that's why a guy like Allen would be more appealing to them.

Also don't see the team putting Cooke at center, especially on the 4th line... he's been tried at center in the last few years at times, and hasn't played well there... he hasn't played regularly at center since junior and the game in the NHL is totally different - with a lot more defensive responsibilites... Cooke is much better concentrating on his boards and dishing out those big hits there, than playing in a center role.... plus after the improvement he's gone through, he right now is likely been given the 2nd line spot and if the team moves him down if they acquire a 2nd liner like O'Neill, then he's likely not going to fall past the 3rd line.

I think our best bet with Carolina is offering Allen for O'Neill... then working out a deal with Chubarov and Koltsov going to another team for a dman... a guy like Witt would be great, but I wouldn't move a young Koltsov and Chubarov for a guy who's in the last year of his deal (and could be a UFA before next season starts).

Allen for O'Neill IMO is a good trade for both teams... O'Neill is pricy and coming off an injury season, seeing his stats go down... he's also a RFA again after this year's done, and that's a risk going into a new CBA... Allen is younger, and on the ice isn't worth as much as O'Neill, but contracts, age and $$ considered it could be a pretty even deal.... the canucks would no doubt have to make another deal though to replace Allen... the Canes, considering they are still rebuilding, could probably get away without having to replace O'Neill as they have time to see if Brendl and/or Vrbata can pick up the load (combined with improvements from others like Williams, Cole and Vasicek), or have time to see Ladd develop...

Closed Thread