HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Laich Guarantees Playoffs - Miller Response

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2012, 05:31 PM
bernsy74

vCash: 500
Laich Guarantees Playoffs - Miller Response

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392237

Karma??

Old
04-04-2012, 05:32 PM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

Thou shalt not anger the hockey gods.....

Old
04-04-2012, 05:35 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
That is a perfect response by Miller.

Old
04-04-2012, 05:38 PM
whiplash

Meh, someone says it every year. Very few people even remember the guarantee after the fact, anyway. It's become too ommon.

But Jesus H, FES has accounted for almost half our goals in the last 12 games

Old
04-04-2012, 05:41 PM
MayDay

I hate guarantees, because they don't mean anything.

The player gets lauded when they are right (see: Messier, Namath).

But no one says anything and no one gets called out when they're wrong. Remember when Donte Whitner guaranteed a Bills playoff berth a few years ago?

Old
04-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

At the bottom it stated that Myers is out another week, at least.

Sulzer better shore up his defensive game, he looks great in the o-zone but they need him to be STRONG in front of Miller!

Old
04-04-2012, 06:05 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Just to correct something here, Laich never used the word guarantee.

He was on a radio show this morning and the host started to ask him about what happens if they miss the playoffs and he said he didn't want to talk about that because he believe they are making the playoffs. If a pro athlete were to answer it any other way you wouldn't want them on your team. Such a huge fuss about absolutely nothing. Media picked it up and decided to make it a story.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:07 PM
fing0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainKonoForever View Post

He was on a radio show this morning and the host started to ask him about what happens if they miss the playoffs and he said he didn't want to talk about that because he believe they are making the playoffs. If a pro athlete were to answer it any other way you wouldn't want them on your team. Such a huge fuss about absolutely nothing. Media picked it up and decided to make it a story.

I can tell you are lying because the media would never make up a story over nothing.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:21 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:

"Laich made his "We're making the playoffs" comment earlier Wednesday in an interview with Washington's The Fan radio."

What exactly is that then?

Old
04-04-2012, 06:25 PM
CaptainKonoForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
"Laich made his "We're making the playoffs" comment earlier Wednesday in an interview with Washington's The Fan radio."

So now we are going to get into semantics? It isn't a guarantee. That is what he believes. Until someone says "I guarantee we are making it..", than I don't see how you say that is what he said. That is a player believing in his team. Heaven forbid he be optimistic about his team's chances. It is obvious you didn't listen to the radio show and thus have no idea what the context was..just what the media wanted.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:28 PM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Media just amping up the heat. It's not like he called in to NHL Live or something and guaranteed a playoff berth. Or, more likely, said something dumb on twitter.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:33 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
So now we are going to get into semantics? It isn't a guarantee. That is what he believes. Until someone says "I guarantee we are making it..", than I don't see how you say that is what he said. That is a player believing in his team. Heaven forbid he be optimistic about his team's chances. It is obvious you didn't listen to the radio show and thus have no idea what the context was..just what the media wanted.

I'm not getting into an argument. I just listened to the interview the hosts asked "Is their one game you're gonna look back on and say that's the one that kept us from getting in" and he said "no, we're making the playoffs" he actually says it twice. Its on TSN if you check it out. Not getting into an argument just saying. If its not a guarantee what is it? Pride? Lip Service? Motivation?

Old
04-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Seems a bit overdone. Nothing like the yellow press...

04-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

He should have said, "We are going to Laich this playoff spot up." Then slowly put on his shades, turn, and slap the person nearest to him in the face: BACK HAND style.

Now THAT is how you make a guarantee, and look like a badass/****** in the process. The way he did it, made him look like a sissy/******.

Old
04-04-2012, 06:47 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Watch the video about it. Doesn't seem like yellow press. I'm not bashing Laich for being confident, but it's rather blunt.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
dlonce

My first post here. I love the board and thanks for allowing me to sign up and join in.

Laich said,"We ARE making the playoffs."

Not sure what part is being misconstrued but that's an absolute. He said it and there's no getting around it. They are not in the playoffs, therefore it's a guarantee.

guar·an·tee/ˌgarənˈtē/
Noun:
A formal promise or assurance (typically in writing) that certain conditions will be fulfilled, esp. that a product will be repaired or...
Verb:
Provide a formal assurance or promise, esp. that certain conditions shall be fulfilled relating to a product, service, or transaction.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:49 AM
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil

The Sabres are gonna try to Laich down that spot!!

woooo operation Laich-down baby you gotta gooood

WOOOOOOOOO!!

Old
04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post

That's a guy simply being positive...that's all. Would be nice if somebody on the Sabres exhibited SOME take-charge positivity like that.

I think Miller overreacted, probably because the person questioning him misrepresented what Laich said and the manner in which he said it.

Laich didn't come out and boldly state "We're making the playoffs...BANK IT!" or anything like that.

So Miller unnecessarily slams the guy.

If anything, this is bulletin board material for the Caps to build on.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:22 AM
jamers
McTankel Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
That's a guy simply being positive...that's all. Would be nice if somebody on the Sabres exhibited SOME take-charge positivity like that.

I think Miller overreacted, probably because the person questioning him misrepresented what Laich said and the manner in which he said it.

Laich didn't come out and boldly state "We're making the playoffs...BANK IT!" or anything like that.

So Miller unnecessarily slams the guy.

If anything, this is bulletin board material for the Caps to build on.
Miller was asked a question, just like Laich was asked a question. Neither of these guys sought out reporters. They just responded. Both comments are being built up too much in my opinion.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Miller was asked a question, just like Laich was asked a question. Neither of these guys sought out reporters. They just responded. Both comments are being built up too much in my opinion.
Sounds though like Laich's simple comment was being blown out of proportion by the reporter questioning Miller...probably just to stir up crap. Miller responds by insulting the guy unnecessarily? Pretty smug for a guy who's let in 14 goals in the last 3 games.

Why Miller would so easily be tricked into that is beyond me. At this point in the season, you just don't give another team a reason to reeally wanna see you go down in flames.

Tell me that isn't going to make the Caps a bit hotter tonight AT HOME facing a Panthers team that hasn't won many reg games lately. Is there any doubt another reporter is gonna relay this little tidbit back to Laich?

Old
04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
Sounds though like Laich's simple comment was being blown out of proportion by the reporter questioning Miller...probably just to stir up crap. Miller responds by insulting the guy unnecessarily? Pretty smug for a guy who's let in 14 goals in the last 3 games.

Why Miller would so easily be tricked into that is beyond me. At this point in the season, you just don't give another team a reason to reeally wanna see you go down in flames.

Tell me that isn't going to make the Caps a bit hotter tonight AT HOME facing a Panthers team that hasn't won many reg games lately. Is there any doubt another reporter is gonna relay this little tidbit back to Laich?
Miller was told the guy guaranteed a playoff spot. I don't see that being smug at all.

He's making light of it because he doesn't think it's really a big deal.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:17 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
I like (possibly hate) how Miller brings the Caps' goalies into it for no reason. Masterful gamesmanship right there.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:18 PM
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Hearst and Pulitzer would be proud

Old
04-05-2012, 12:25 PM
HiddenInLight

I see no problem with what Miller said. All he did was answer the question that was asked of him. "What do you think of the fact that Laich guaranteed his team in the playoffs?" "I don't think he's Mark Messier." then goes on to explain why HE PERSONALLY thinks it is a bad idea to say things like that. The only reason he used their goaltenders as an example is because he is a goaltender, so he can more easily relate to how it might effect them. Seeing as he isn't a forward or dman, he wouldn't really know how they would react to it, so he didn't comment on how it might Ovechkin. This whole think is kind of blown out of proportion, though Miller did burn Laich pretty badly.

Old
04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Hal2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
I like (possibly hate) how Miller brings the Caps' goalies into it for no reason. Masterful gamesmanship right there.
tell it to the caps board

Closed Thread