HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Can this team ACTUALLY do it? (ALL PLAYOFF CHASE DISCUSSION HERE) Nope...

Old
02-02-2012, 12:41 AM
Maximrules

vCash: 500
Can this team ACTUALLY do it? (ALL PLAYOFF CHASE DISCUSSION HERE) Nope...

I'm as big a diehard fan as the next guy, but I don't think they can actually get into 8th with THIS much lack of scoring. They can get close if they play like they did tonight (Rangers game) but my gut says they don't have enough offensively right now.....Darcy...

Fire away

Maximrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:47 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Who the hell knows with these clowns

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 12:59 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

I'm usually optimistic with sports. I give teams and players the benefit of the doubt.

With that said...

No freaking way

Too many things wrong with this team

Too few things are right with this team

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:17 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Nope. They have absolutely no chance.

As I said in another thread even last year they didn't make the playoffs on their own. They had New Jersey stealing points away from teams in front of them on an almost nightly basis. Hell I think even the Islanders were on something like a 95 point pace in the 2nd half which also probably helped.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 03:00 AM
Squantosawuss

One thing this team is famous for in the last 5 seasons, is being a TEASE.

Just when you think they're good, they start falling apart...and just when you think FINALLY a good lottery pick is on the way, BAM!...they show just enough life to create a big conflict of emotion not only in fans, but UNFORTUNATELY in MANAGEMENT. This is the worst case scenario.

I hope that if this team shows some life in the next few weeks, it only encourages the front office to capitalize on the sudden increase in TRADE VALUES, and doesn't instead do what they usually do: Get lulled into submission with a VERY medicocre core that is NOT Cup-worthy.

The Rangers are a helluva lot better than they showed tonight. I get the feeling the Sabre matchups are now being mentally circled on many a schedule as a night off for teams with strong positions in the standings. This will def lead to some surprise victories in the coming weeks. But don't be fooled and let fan-dom get the best of you! You want 9th place in April...or a Cup down the road?

Hey Darcy: Think Trade values, stop envisioning your core hoisting a Cup!

Last edited by Squantosawuss: 02-02-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 04:37 AM
heartsabres*

I love sabres fans. They are like mental patients. I read for the past month how we are going for last place then they win 2 games and now we are going to make the playoffs???

heartsabres* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 05:28 AM
Dreakon

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsabres View Post
I love sabres fans. They are like mental patients. I read for the past month how we are going for last place then they win 2 games and now we are going to make the playoffs???
Pretty much everyone that has posted, including the OP, has said they aren't going to make the playoffs.

Dreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 06:52 AM
barcs

No. 1 more point last night and I would have been on board. However I do feel like they'll lock in at the 10th seed vs. the 13th seed which was what I predicted around the all-star break.

barcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:04 AM
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck

If they play THAT game from last night for every remaining contest, they have a shot.

I have zero faith that they will, and even if they get in they're not going anywhere.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 07:50 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

No. The last couple game have been better, no doubt, but in addition to another incredible run, it would also require a team like the Lightning or Isles to steal points from teams ahead of us. Also, the nine-point gap could increase to 10-13pts after games-in-hand are played out before our next game on Saturday.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:18 AM
barnell
butter knife hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
I can already feel the franchise center slipping away...
This.

The herculean effort that it would take to get this team into the playoffs would pretty much give us a repeat of last year. A team with nothing left in the tank getting bounced in the first round.

Best to be sellers, (hopefully) draft Grig or another franchise Center and live to compete another day.

barnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
MayDay

Zero chance. Too far out, too late in the season.

Last year's rally didn't require making up so much ground, and it started morethan a month earlier.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Talk to me on the morning of February 18. They have seven games between now and then. They have to get to .500 or better in that time, which means they need no fewer than 10 of 14 pts.

The good news is that Miller seems to be coming around, their attention to detail in their own zone is better, Myers-Ehrhoff look like a legit top pairing, and they're creating scoring chances again. The bad news is they still can't score more than two non-EN goals, the $4m crew still can't buy one, and they're way behind the 8-ball (10 pts back of the final playoff spot).

They need a big winning streak at some point if they're going to give themselves a chance. I'm talking like an 8-0-1 stretch. I just wish they didn't wait to start caring until now.

Zip15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Talk to me on the morning of February 18. They have seven games between now and then. They have to get to .500 or better in that time, which means they need no fewer than 10 of 14 pts.

The good news is that Miller seems to be coming around, their attention to detail in their own zone is better, Myers-Ehrhoff look like a legit top pairing, and they're creating scoring chances again. The bad news is they still can't score more than two non-EN goals, the $4m crew still can't buy one, and they're way behind the 8-ball (10 pts back of the final playoff spot).

They need a big winning streak at some point if they're going to give themselves a chance. I'm talking like an 8-0-1 stretch. I just wish they didn't wait to start caring until now.
Id love to see the sabres in the playoffs.

But with everything that has happened this year and looking where they are at, whats another couple of months of very poor play to grab that franchise center.

I'd much prefer that over a Bruins sweep in round 1. There's no point. Come correct or don't come at all.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:03 AM
OkimLom

I hope not.

Lets say they get in the 9-12th spot range, The management of this team will then pull back and say that INJURIES were the reason for the lack of playoffs this year. You will then see guys being re-signed(gaustad, Boyes) and the coaching will stay the same, we will miss out on a lower pick to grab a better player and that draft pick wil be stuffed in the minors for future use(3-4 years down the road).

Basically, Anything that this team is bad at and their shortcomings will be there next year, and we will be having this kind of talk next year.

Same ol' tune

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 09:42 AM
fing0rz

It's way to hard to make up ground with so many 3 point games. They would need to win a redic amount of games.

Only way is if the scoring can get going and they start putting up 3+ gpg

fing0rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Sabresfansince1980

No, they can't make the playoffs. Even worse is that the team will start playing very hard so that one of them isn't the trade bait getting shipped out. They won't play "good", but hard and steal enough pts here and there to drive back up to around a 9-12 draft position.

I'm hoping that, with what Zip pointed out, that the coming schedule is too tough and they stumble again in the very next stretch. To drop another 5-6 games right away would really put the nails in the coffin and determine Regier's course, as opposed to clinging with hope all the way to another average prospect with semi-potential in 2-3 years, and tinkering with unsubstantial trades or FA signings.

I want Buffalo to trade Roy/Stafford/Boyes for the best draft pick(s) possible and use them to trade up for another 1st rd pick, hopefully in addition to a top 3-5 pick from finishing near the bottom. Grigorenko or Yakupov probably won't be available, but Galchenyuk should be in reach if Buffalo finishes low enough. Then take the 2nd rd picks from the trades for the above players and trade up for another 1st rd pick in the 10-15 range, adding a prospect if needed.

I want a rebuild under a new coach/GM but that won't happen, but this plan would be close to it.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:11 AM
Jooce81

No.. and seriously i hope they dont. They make the 8th spot they will be bounced in the 1st rd and nothing on this team will change, same players will be back for more of the same mediocre seasons to come.

Jooce81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
They're going to have to go from not stringing consecutive wins together for three months to basically winning 3 out of 4 or 4 out of 5 for the rest of the season. I don't see it happening. Their last three games have been an improvement -- even with the lack of scoring the forwards look engaged out there, at least they're defending and cutting down on the stupid mistakes and being early out of the zone.

02-02-2012, 10:40 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

The chances for goals are starting to come, so maybe if they gain some momentum or confidence they could go on a little run, but idk that it would make up enough ground. I'm just happy that Miller and the defensive zone coverage has improved, so the games aren't so miserable to watch. And on a side note, thanks Bucky for another trade piece on Miller, you're gonna mess with his head and make him answer those trade questions again, huh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnell View Post
I'm not trying to be snarky here, I'm actually legitimately interested. How many true, legitimate first line centers get drafted "late-ish" in the draft?
Off the top of my head, I know that Getzlaf and Giroux were in that 18-24 range, and they're definitely legit.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
The chances for goals are starting to come, so maybe if they gain some momentum or confidence they could go on a little run, but idk that it would make up enough ground. I'm just happy that Miller and the defensive zone coverage has improved, so the games aren't so miserable to watch. And on a side note, thanks Bucky for another trade piece on Miller, you're gonna mess with his head and make him answer those trade questions again, huh?
Off the top of my head, I know that Getzlaf and Giroux were in that 18-24 range, and they're definitely legit.
They had a lot of chances early in the slide too -- even after the Lucic incident it was often a case of "at least they're getting chances". Then that dried up.

Miller starting to get over his haze is encouraging. They need solid goaltending every night and if he's able to focus again, he could provide that and build their overall confidence. It wouldn't hurt to have some of these guys back and healthy again too -- Vanek's been trying to play through this shoulder thing for over a month since it happened and it's telling in his production. Ennis back gives them a speed element they lacked (and need more of) most of the year.

But that hole is far too large. They've been bad for too much of the season to overcome it. Right now, I do not believe.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 11:53 AM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Can? Yes. Should? No. They have no business being there and would not win a cup so what is the point?

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatal System Ehrhoff View Post
They lost to a team that won the cup the next year, and a team that was in the finals the year before. There's no forest fire here. They need an adrenaline shot, not heart surgery.
So you're saying that the Sabres ran into the Bruins & Flyers when neither was playing at their best?

I'll buy that.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 01:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Ok, I tried being subtle on the last page.

STOP WITH THE DRAFT AND TEAM BUILDING CONVERSATION SINCE IT DOES NOT RELATE TO THE TOPIC.

'k? Am I clear?

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-02-2012, 02:17 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
I think they pull it off..

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote