HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Greater Goal Scorer? (Stamkos vs. Ovechkin)

View Poll Results: More Efficient Goal Scorer?
Steven Stamkos 33 54.10%
Alexander Ovechkin 27 44.26%
Draw. 1 1.64%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
Voted Stammer because if you take out Stamkos' rookie year, with him being 18 and having Melrose as a coach, he's hit 45+ each year. That's pretty insane. As far as efficiency... 20% shooting percentage speaks for itself.

Career-wise Ovi is still the bees knees, but I expect Stamkos to surpass that in the future, and since I have no idea what the poll is actually asking, I decided to go homer.
So, what you're saying is if you cherry pick stats, Stamkos is more impressive?

Ovechkin. How is Stamkos winning this? Wow. I think I'm just going to start ignoring threads about Ovechkin because he loses every single one. I can't wait to see where he loses the "Who was the better Capital?" against Mel Angelstad.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:51 PM
drs151

vCash: 500
Ovechkin but this will change probably in the next 1-2 years. If Stamkos goes off for another 55-60 goal season next year it will probably be him.

I know lots of people say goal scorers peak early and thats true, but imo Stamkos's career is not going to resemble Ovechkin. I know this is my opinion but I honestly believe Ovechkin is no where near the shape he should be in. We have all seen the pictures and athletes shouldnt like that. Ovechkin was ripped whe he was 20-21 so its not his body type. At ages 25-26 you should not gain that much fat. Should be the same if you work hard.

Goal scorers tend to peak early but the average is still about 25 years old. Just because Ovechkin peaked at 22 doesnt mean Stamkos will. You have to remember as well Stamkos was 21 for most of this season. I always count a players year as how many games they played at a certain age. Ovechkin was 22 for his whole 65 goal season. Stamkos played roughly 50 games this year as a 21 year old. Stamkos is 6'1 188. He still has some room to grow. He will probably peak out at 195-200lbs at age 25ish. He will be faster stronger. He works harder than Ovechkin. Unless Stamkos gets hurt he is not going to decline like Ovechkin. He will be a 45-65 goal scorer for the next 5 years easily. I just have a feeling by the time Ovechkin is 30, and Stamkos is 25-26, a poll like this will be a landslide for Stamkos. I really do hope Ovechkin gets his game back tho. If he could be a consistant 40 goal 80 point guy I think people would be happy and it would really stack his numbers. His points are down this year but his goals is respectable at 37. If he has 5 more goals 10-15 more points no one probably criticises him.

drs151 is offline   Reply With Quote