Old
04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

vCash: 50
Mark Chipman comments on the season

From the Free Press:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...145725715.html

Great interview, IMHO. I know we laud enough praise on Chipman already, but I agreed with just about everything he said here. He strikes me as a hockey-savvy guy, who has taken on this team not only as a business project but as personal project.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:11 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
From the Free Press:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opi...145725715.html

Great interview, IMHO. I know we laud enough praise on Chipman already, but I agreed with just about everything he said here. He strikes me as a hockey-savvy guy, who has taken on this team not only as a business project but as personal project.
This is a FANTASTIC article. This post and thread should be bookmarked, and any time someone whines that we are 'being cheap' or Cheveldayoff isn't doing anything, they should be forced to read that piece.

This is the mission statement of this franchise. It was from day one and will be at this time next year, regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not.

As a fan, if you cannot accept this, you are going to be very disappointed.

04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Great read and thanks Wings

i like this part:

"Since the lockout, if you look at the teams that have had success and won -- Chicago, Pittsburgh, Detroit, they build from within. The best example for us is Nashville. They draft well and develop and provide a stable environment that fosters winning. They're the best example for us. Now that they're close, they're trying to make a few tweaks to go after the Cup. The Nashville example is very fitting for us."

also this looks really nice:

Chipman says the plan is clear and there will be no deviation.

"It's to be a team that is a perennial playoff team. A team that is going to have a .600 winning percentage or better and be consistently in the playoffs," said Chipman. "And then, given the right circumstances to go deep into the playoffs and eventually contend for a championship."

This article should be music to most of our posters ears........Mark definitely wanted into the playoffs this year which should appeal to the Peter Sullivan's of our board who early on had that expectation. It should also appeal to posters who want a perennial playoff team (count me in this camp) and believe in a long term plan even if it means we might not make it next year.

might not be as popular with the posters who say let's just click our heals together and add Weber and Parise this off season. It sounds like that will be in the cards but probably when we are in position to win it all like Nashville is this year.

Not a allot of new material here but it is great to hit the refresh button and update the rolling vision after we hit our first speed bump

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:26 PM
jetkarma

vCash: 500
Nothing new in that article , but it should point out to fans that we aren't signing any big name players this off season.

We will pursue some lower end free agents that could be upgrades but it won't be any significant additions imo. Aside from drafting ( which needs to be done well ) and waiting, there needs to be real growth form some existing players , ala Wheeler and Kane for example and perhaps via a trade or two.

Change the dynamics of the team , trade an asset or two for a different asset that fits you better and improves on ice play and the wins and losses.

One year of observation , we will see how assertive Chevy is in moving a player or two for one or two he feels makes Winnipeg a better team overall. Personally I hope this is looked at as an option that gets done.

This year and next years drafts are hugely important for Wpg long term , but even if done very well , the positive impact is several years away.

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:33 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
This is a FANTASTIC article. This post and thread should be bookmarked, and any time someone whines that we are 'being cheap' or Cheveldayoff isn't doing anything, they should be forced to read that piece.

This is the mission statement of this franchise. It was from day one and will be at this time next year, regardless of whether we make the playoffs or not.

As a fan, if you cannot accept this, you are going to be very disappointed.
Pretty much sums up my take from that article.
Once again, it lays out our plan. If you can't get on board with the philosophy, you're in for a long long ride.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:37 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

It will be very difficult to build a contender through the draft if we continue to be a 'bubble' team.

Those examples Chipman put out are not very good. Especially when he cites Pgh. Their draft choices that turned into superstars were mostly 1st round picks.

Also, Chicago didn't necessarily just build through the draft. They made deals to get guys like Hossa, etc at the time to make them better.

I mean, I thank Chipman for all that he has done to bring NHL back to the Peg, but his comments are a bit delusional.

New Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

This shouldn't go over very well with the "show me now" crowd. Those fans want a quick fix, which reminds me of people that gamble and hope for the big payday. Hard work and effort are the keys to success. There is no easy money. I have no issue with the long term approach. I've been for it ever since we got the team. What bothers me is the unrealistic expectations some have for the Jets.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
This shouldn't go over very well with the "show me now" crowd. Those fans want a quick fix, which reminds me of people that gamble and hope for the big payday. Hard work and effort are the keys to success. There is no easy money. I have no issue with the long term approach. I've been for it ever since we got the team. What bothers me is the unrealistic expectations some have for the Jets.
I am not for the 'quick fix' - I am just not in agreement with the examples Chipman cites as part of their 'master plan'.

If we maintain 10th, 8th or 9th spots for the next three years, what help does that do for us in the draft?

Pgh were able to get their stars in the 1st round at the time - different situation for the Jets.

We don't suck enough to get the high draft picks and are not strong enough to make the playoffs.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Jets View Post
It will be very difficult to build a contender through the draft if we continue to be a 'bubble' team.

Those examples Chipman put out are not very good. Especially when he cites Pgh. Their draft choices that turned into superstars were mostly 1st round picks.

Also, Chicago didn't necessarily just build through the draft. They made deals to get guys like Hossa, etc at the time to make them better.

I mean, I thank Chipman for all that he has done to bring NHL back to the Peg, but his comments are a bit delusional.
you don't think the line on "spend when were close" is equal to the Hossa example you just gave out? Really? REALLY?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
ps241
Drunken rant!

Quote:

He also used Detroit and Nashville as examples and neither one of those organizations built around a couple of 1st or 2nd overall picks.

ps241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
you don't think the line on "spend when were close" is equal to the Hossa example you just gave out? Really? REALLY?
The way TNSE is approaching their 'master plan', yes, I don't see them spending when they are close.

If we are somewhat "closer" after this season we shall see what the Jets do in the off season in terms of spending.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:45 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

He's hardly delusional, he pointed to Nashville as an ideal model. If you look at where they have drafted in the last 5 years its 7th or worse. Also you can't discount the Penguins become they drafted superstars, they built through the draft which was his point.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:45 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
He also used Detroit and Nashville as examples and neither one of those organizations built around a couple of 1st or 2nd overall picks.
Detroit wasn't necessarily built just through the draft either - they also were active signing free agents and in trades.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:

How many high first round picks have Detroit had? Philly? Vancouver? It can be done. We have our high first rounders in the lineup already (Wheeler, Kane, Burmistrov, Bogosian)

There are plenty of high impact, great players to be had in the bottom half of the first round and subsequent rounds. That's why your scouts and drafting have to be great. Only time will tell if ours are.

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:47 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post
Another example of people only seeing what they want to see.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
He's hardly delusional, he pointed to Nashville as an ideal model. If you look at where they have drafted in the last 5 years its 7th or worse. Also you can't discount the Penguins become they drafted superstars, they built through the draft which was his point.
Pgh was able to get high draft picks because of what place they were finishing at - the bottom.

We won't be getting a sniff at that kind of talent if our team continues to be a bubble.

Old
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Detroit wasn't necessarily built just through the draft either - they also were active signing free agents and in trades.
Those free agents were largely complementary players not core pieces. Same goes for trades, your examples fail to undercut what Chipman has stated.

Quote:
Pgh was able to get high draft picks because of what place they were finishing at - the bottom.

We won't be getting a sniff at that kind of talent if our team continues to be a bubble.
Shea Weber was a second round pick, great players are always drafted top 5

Old
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
I am not for the 'quick fix' - I am just not in agreement with the examples Chipman cites as part of their 'master plan'.

If we maintain 10th, 8th or 9th spots for the next three years, what help does that do for us in the draft?

Pgh were able to get their stars in the 1st round at the time - different situation for the Jets.

We don't suck enough to get the high draft picks and are not strong enough to make the playoffs.
You seem to have your mind made up on this. Considering you've only referenced the examples that DON'T mesh while ignoring the other 3 that make perfect sense.

As i said, the Hossa signing would fall under "spend when were close".

Nashville was the one he clearly emphasized the most, which you've left out (Nashville having made the playoffs regularly and not drafted in the top 10 with much frequency).

Yes, pitsburgh is great because they were horrible at the best time, so bad example.

Detroit rarely drafts in a better position then 20 but is definitly the most consistently dangerous teams in the league.

Was pittsburgh a bad example? Yes. But the rest were spot on.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:48 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
The way TNSE is approaching their 'master plan', yes, I don't see them spending when they are close.

If we are somewhat "closer" after this season we shall see what the Jets do in the off season in terms of spending.
Where do you get this idea from? We've only had 1 season, so I don't know what you're expecting to be done within that single years time.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Where do you get this idea from? We've only had 1 season, so I don't know what you're expecting to be done within that single years time.
Exactly, it's again simply ignoring whats being said and what their doing.

essentially:

"I don't think true north will make the signings they just said they would in the future, because they said they wouldn't make signings this year and haven't"

it doesn't make sense. It's clearly just deciding to not like/agree with something for the sake of not liking it.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
New Jets
Jets fan since '79

Ok - so answer me this question:

How many years will it take this team to make the playoffs and to also make a good go at it.

5 years? 7 years?

Old
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:

How many years will it take this team to make the playoffs and to also make a good go at it.

5 years? 7 years?
I see the team making the playoffs in 3, possibly even next year depending on player growth.

likely makng deep pushes, from years 5-8.

then ideally staying int he playoffs for another couple years, building the pieces, and giving themselves anoth 3 year window.

The point is, their not going to swing trades and assets to go from a bubble team, to a second round exit team. They'll build to become a second round exit team, and swing trades and assets to become a contender.

Old
04-02-2012, 01:58 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

5 years? 7 years?
If you could answer those questions with 100% certainty you could make a lot of money. Contending is impossible to answer. There are too many variables with any team to say "Team A will be contenders by..."

As for making the playoffs, it depends on the format and realignment.
But I'd say 5 years from now we should be making the playoffs consistently

Old
04-02-2012, 02:02 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Not if your goal is to be like Nashville. The only top 5 pick they've ever had was their very first draft.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2012, 02:04 PM
Tintin's Ghost

I appreciate the fact he mentioned the Nashville model. That seems most appropriate way for this club to build. If he keeps saying "build through the draft" then I hope to see less reaching and more steals, just MHO.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote