Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our 2011-12 Season and Prediction

Old
04-05-2012, 10:15 AM
pcanuck

vCash: 500
Our 2011-12 Season and Prediction

Getting our team back is already the best positive we can talk about.

That being said, being late to the dance meant Chevy was ill prepared to find us anything except spare parts in free agency. The Thrashers were 4-5 wins out of a playoff spot - Chevy did nothing to locate a consistent scoring forward or help a shotty defence. He gets no credit from me this year.

But ... the surprises! Wheeler, Kane and Wellwood. Wheeler turned his entire career around and looks to be a power forward in the NHL. Kane, at 20 years old puts up 30G which is insane. 56pts this year- he's going to cash in as a RFA and people need to get off his back. Wellwood had a career year as well - 47pts and a +3 on this team should mean a nice contract extension from this team before he hits FA.

Our D. I'm talking about the positives here! Stuart should be wearing the C on this team - shot blocking, hits, toughness, exceptional defensive play - he needs an extension. Our best Dman all year no question. Bogo took steps forward as a much better skater and more consistent on the PK. Enstrom has some serious skill but needs to be matched with a hulking stay at home Dman. Flood, Festerling, Postma showed us that we have some AHL talent ready to come up next year.

Third, our gamers! Every team needs passion players - we have them! Glass! Slater! Stapleton! Even Little and Burmi showed us some flashes this year. An excellent job by all. I was really impressed that these smaller players could play such a huge role on this team. All deserve to be back next year. I was really wrong about Stapleton - but that man has heart.

Fourth - we never heard their names all year but I'm calling them out - Zinger and Keith McCambridge. Unbelievable job with a St.John's squad that showed they could fill in for our injuries and more! They turned no skill players into something we could consider magical. Machacek showed me he's a potential 2nd-3rd liner next year. Klingburg has some talent but needs some NHL minutes to play up to his competition. On D - OMG! They might have been better than their NHL counterparts at staying at home and playing strong defense (my kind of team). This type of team wins championships. Flood - Festerling - Postma are 3 guys we could depend on each night next year in Winnipeg. These guys - bravo men! Excellent job! Turned our minor league system around in one year!

Prediction next year - Is based solely on our organization.

1. Chevy NEEDS to do his job. If we are not active in free agency, we should not expect a playoff run again next year. Similar to the last 3 years of the Thrashers, we're 4-5 wins away from a spot. We shouldn't expect career years from each of the players we had this year. This also means re-signing Pavelic (RFA), Kane (RFA), Wellwood (UFA), Glass (UFA), Slater (UFA), Machacek (RFA) and Flood (UFA).

2. Noel has to be as tough on our vets as he is on our young players like Kane, Burmi and Scheif who he called out in the media. Noel NEEDS a better strategy to play our away games. We lacked consistency all year. He says the right things in the media but his rookie year is over.

Otherwise, it's great having our Jets back. Go Jets Go! (until next year, let's go brewers!)

pcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcanuck View Post

That being said, being late to the dance meant Chevy was ill prepared to find us anything except spare parts in free agency. The Thrashers were 4-5 wins out of a playoff spot - Chevy did nothing to locate a consistent scoring forward or help a shotty defence. He gets no credit from me this year.

But ... the surprises! Wheeler, Kane and Wellwood.
...ahem?

Who signed wellwood?

Now i don't want to turn this into a Pro's and Cons of Chevy fight but i think he did pretty good. The fact of the matter is the players your talking about getting weren't available or provided handcuffing contracts (is ville leino a proven scorer..how much did he make?..do you REALLY want that contract?).

Otherwise i totally agree with you, very positive year, saw some amazing growth from our young guys and the best part is their only going to get better.

For improvements, obviously something has to happen with the away games but i'd say its not noels system.

If you listen to the interviews after everyone of those away loses it takes more then two hands to count how many times the players say "we didn't play our game". Our game being Noels system.

Now i don't know how you fix that, but I think our biggest issue was we really allowed the other team to dictate when we were on the road, and we'd play however they played, as opposed to playing our game.

Honestly, I have no idea how you stop that, maturity? veterans? I just think that Management probably knows it, and has a pretty good idea on how to fix it.

Overall though, positive year.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
jetkarma

Chevy will do his job , which isn't to place a value on just making the playoffs over deeper , better long term success.

Making the playoffs and being done in 6 games isn't the goal , a consistent , deep run playoff team is. If those two goals mesh , then Chevy will make that decision , but imo he won't sacrifice long term success for some small short term sugar.

Delayed gratification.

Chevy is doing his job , there are no magical solutions. Unfortunately .

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Wpgpage

Quote:

Given the situation I understand why he was not active, there probably wasn't any money to spend after they paid 170M to get the team. Also last years UFA crop was weak at best. I've been fine with Chevy so far hope to see him start to make some moves this summer.

Quote:
But ... the surprises! Wheeler, Kane and Wellwood. Wheeler turned his entire career around and looks to be a power forward in the NHL. Kane, at 20 years old puts up 30G which is insane. 56pts this year- he's going to cash in as a RFA and people need to get off his back. Wellwood had a career year as well - 47pts and a +3 on this team should mean a nice contract extension from this team before he hits FA.
Agreed on Welly the Jets have no one ready to take his spot a nice 2 year deal would be perfect for the team.

Quote:
Our D. I'm talking about the positives here! Stuart should be wearing the C on this team - shot blocking, hits, toughness, exceptional defensive play - he needs an extension. Our best Dman all year no question. Bogo took steps forward as a much better skater and more consistent on the PK. Enstrom has some serious skill but needs to be matched with a hulking stay at home Dman. Flood, Festerling, Postma showed us that we have some AHL talent ready to come up next year.
Have to disagree here Stuart is consistent and does his job well but he is a 3rd pairing guy who plays against weak players. Again nothing against him he has perhaps filled his role better than any of the others but he is the 5th most talented. He's signed for 2 more years, after next season maybe an extension but at this time he's fine. Flood and Festerling are not NHL quality, they are temp call-ups at best. Bogo played very well and I am looking forward to him taking the next step as a NHL player, more top pairing time with Toby, and more PP time as well.

Quote:
Third, our gamers! Every team needs passion players - we have them! Glass! Slater! Stapleton! Even Little and Burmi showed us some flashes this year. An excellent job by all. I was really impressed that these smaller players could play such a huge role on this team. All deserve to be back next year. I was really wrong about Stapleton - but that man has heart.
Agreed on all points 2-3 year deals for Glass and Slater, I would even be ok with giving Stapler and extra year hes an excellent 13th forward.

Quote:
Fourth - we never heard their names all year but I'm calling them out - Zinger and Keith McCambridge. Unbelievable job with a St.John's squad that showed they could fill in for our injuries and more! They turned no skill players into something we could consider magical. Machacek showed me he's a potential 2nd-3rd liner next year. Klingburg has some talent but needs some NHL minutes to play up to his competition. On D - OMG! They might have been better than their NHL counterparts at staying at home and playing strong defense (my kind of team). This type of team wins championships. Flood - Festerling - Postma are 3 guys we could depend on each night next year in Winnipeg. These guys - bravo men! Excellent job! Turned our minor league system around in one year!
Again Flood and Festerling not NHL players. They have done a nice job on the AHL team, the system as a whole is still weak but nothing but time and solid asset management will fix that. Chevy is on the right path though acquiring 2 good picks for Jonny.

Quote:
Prediction next year - Is based solely on our organization.

1. Chevy NEEDS to do his job. If we are not active in free agency, we should not expect a playoff run again next year. Similar to the last 3 years of the Thrashers, we're 4-5 wins away from a spot. We shouldn't expect career years from each of the players we had this year. This also means re-signing Pavelic (RFA), Kane (RFA), Wellwood (UFA), Glass (UFA), Slater (UFA), Machacek (RFA) and Flood (UFA).

2. Noel has to be as tough on our vets as he is on our young players like Kane, Burmi and Scheif who he called out in the media. Noel NEEDS a better strategy to play our away games. We lacked consistency all year. He says the right things in the media but his rookie year is over.

Otherwise, it's great having our Jets back. Go Jets Go! (until next year, let's go brewers!)
Happy with the overall progress of the team, I will be fine with no playoffs next year as well as long as we show positive growth. Chevy has many holes to fill and it will be near impossible to do it all in one off season, especially with this FA market, but if he can make progress in 1 or 2 areas I will be fine with that. Noel did fine for a rookie head coach with this young team, hopefully the road play can improve next year (Largely dependent on Pavs improving). Hopefully Noel will also split up Buffy and Toby before next year as well spreading out the offense and helping the overall play of the top 4.
Here I can even write his press statement for him:
"Last year we felt we were to top heavy with the offense from the back end, teams had a summer to scout and adjust to what Buffy and Tobias were doing. We have to adjust our game plan to compensate for that. Putting Zach with Toby lets him do his thing on the breakout, and (insert UFA stay at home D here) playing with Buffy lets him do what hes does best. We fell that this will give the offense more balance and make for a stronger team game, especially on the road."

There done.

Wpgpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:18 PM
Lux Aurumque*

Goals for this summer:

- Re-sign Enstrom long-term.
- Sign a top six player.
- Get Machacek re-signed. Give him a roster spot for 2012-2013.
- Re-sign Kane, Pavelec and Slater to reasonable salaries.
- Poach an RFA!

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote