HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

4/5/12 - 7:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Toronto

Old
04-06-2012, 09:44 AM
toob

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboBrick View Post
So the positive takeaway from last nights game is that Toronto only managed to score 2 goals in our net, not counting Brett Connelly's awesome tip in. That's improvement.

If we don't beat the Jets we'll finish the season with 12 road wins, which is exactly the same number of wins as the Columbus Blue Jackets. What the heck went wrong with the away games, since we managed to tie the franchise record 25 home wins?

One more year, Roli?? 1 year contract for $1 mil to play as backup, trade Garon + draft pick for Schneider...
does Roli even want to come back after this ssn?

i can understand why he wanted to after last year (i wanted him back) even though the Boston series aside from game 7 was a warning but after this year i dont really think even he wants to play anymore (did he say otherwise somewhere?)

it is good to see Roli finishing somewhat strong though

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toob View Post

i can understand why he wanted to after last year (i wanted him back) even though the Boston series aside from game 7 was a warning but after this year i dont really think even he wants to play anymore (did he say otherwise somewhere?)

He said in a post game interview (last nights? everything is running together) that he wants to play again, but he understands it takes two to dance. But that even if he couldn't play, he wants to stay in the game. I take that to mean he'd like to coach. I agree with FP here though, he's not going to just jump from player to NHL goalie coach in one season.

Benders Lindyhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:56 AM
PoundCake
Go Bolts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toob View Post

All indications say he does want to play another season (wouldn't you hate to end your career on such a let down?). I've heard several writers and announcers mention that he has said he wants to play another year. I wish I had specific quotes I could reference about this, but I don't feel like searching for them right now.

I wouldn't mind if he came back as a backup playing a maximum of like 25 games, I'm not sure if management will be to comfortable with that though. It might come down to the fact that we have Garon under contract for another year and Roli will become a FA.

Last edited by PoundCake: 04-06-2012 at 10:06 AM.
PoundCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:58 AM
toob

NHL.com article on Roloson saying he wants to come back

toob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Only would take him back if its for cheap (less than 1,5 m. $) and as a back-up (so Garon would have to be traded ++ for a starting goaltender)

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:28 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Roli is the ultimate competitor and I hope he gets his year. He is not saying anything new to people, he has said for the last few years so long as he can land a contract he wants to play. I'm happy he still feels that way and that he still feels great. I'm willing to bet it would be a solid year too, since he is back to where he should have been all season and the last time he struggled he bounced back strong again.

I really don't see his struggles this season as age catching up to him. I know a lot of people will disagree with me but I think the circumstances of the season contributed to his struggles - not a full off-season of training, especially the 'dune running' he does, being paired with Garon again - for whatever reason those two cannot both play well at the same time, trying to make new drills/methods work to appease the coach(es), etc.

I do not think he will be re-signed by the Bolts though, unless they trade Garon and land a young starter, and even then it's very doubtful, but you never know. Hopefully other GM's will recognize he had two distinct seasons and when he finally got back to what he knew worked for him, and had a chance to grab the net again he responded quite well.

I don't think he's done, but if he is, at least he had the net back when he finished and deserved it.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:38 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 133
Honestly, I love the guy but no matter how good he was the past few weeks at 43 (in October) I'd rather see him work as a trainer/coach with the team instead of playing.

New #1 + Roloson as backup? New #1 + Garon as backup or 1b sounds a lot better.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 10:54 AM
LateNightOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningStrikes View Post
Honestly, I love the guy but no matter how good he was the past few weeks at 43 (in October) I'd rather see him work as a trainer/coach with the team instead of playing.

New #1 + Roloson as backup? New #1 + Garon as backup or 1b sounds a lot better.
Re your first sentence, I think if he doesn't get a playing contract, coaching is definitely going to be part of his future. All the teams he's been on for the past decade, the Wild, the Oilers, the Isles and now the Bolts, fans feel he would be a fantastic goalie coach because of his work ethic and the fact that he has battled to get where he is and to be able to play for so long. His training regime is top-notch. He has a lot he could pass along to help a young goalie be clutch and focussed, especially in the playoffs.

Re your second sentence, if history holds true, Garon will struggle next year, and if given a chance, Roli will do well. Not saying that's how it will go down, just basing that on history. The key is bringing in a #1 goalie who the Bolts can rely upon for the future, so that should be the focus anyway. I suspect they will keep Garon and focus on that other goalie.

LateNightOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote