HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

The 2012 NHL Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 10:53 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Im just not sold on Bernier. The guy has loads of potential no doubt, but I havent seen enough of him to judge really.

Im not 100% sold on Schneider either but if we are making a move and those are the options, Id rather go Schneider.

I wouldnt hate moving our first and something middle value for say Schneider and Tanev?
The big thing is who is the roster player we move with our first. Personally I am not sure who is expendable on our offense that has value. Malone isn't really expendable but he is the logical choice. I would not move Purcie because he is just hitting his stride. So who does that leave? And to pull Tanev and Schneider away the Canucks fans/hf members would want the blood of the whole teams first born.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:52 AM
bassassin

21st Winnipeg 83 points 81GP 1 remaining vs TBL max points 85
22nd Tampa 82 points 81GP 1 remaining vs WPG max points 84
23rd Carolina 82 points 80GP 1 remaining vs FLA max points 84
24th Minnesota 81 points 81GP 1 remaining vs PHX max points 83

That 1 point kind of screwed the pick despite everyone else below us winning, now we can only pick between 7th and 10th overall.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:37 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I wouldn't say they're looking so good, but they're coming around. They're still a few years away though.

An idea i've been playing with in my head has been potentially moving our first along with a roster player for a goaltender and defenseman (if available, looking at you, LA) and then taking the DET first, and one of our seconds to try to move up towards the 14-15 range and take Olli Maatta, who I think will end up being a fantastic defenseman. This could potentially happen with the sharks, who we could hand a second back to.

At that point we could potentially have a goaltender and a roster defenseman while opening a spot for Conacher, Killorn and would still give us a very, very solid defender in Maatta, while having two second rounders.
I don't even know where to start with this awful proposal. 1st you want to trade a top 10 pick + a top 6 foward for Bernier + Voynov? In 3 years this could be a decent proposal but Bernier hasn't proved he's worth even a 2nd rounder like what Bishop cost. Voynov is probably untouchable since the kings traded Johnson just so he can get minutes. Martinez/Greene aren't an upgrade and would be a massive overpayment by us. 2nd you want to trade another 1st plus a 2nd to take a D who could fall to us or we could just keep our picks and get 2 who probably can be better. 3rd Conacher and Killorn aren't NHL ready, both will be in the AHL getting more seasoning, no need to have them in the NHL just to get 4th line minutes.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:03 AM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I don't even know where to start with this awful proposal. 1st you want to trade a top 10 pick + a top 6 foward for Bernier + Voynov? In 3 years this could be a decent proposal but Bernier hasn't proved he's worth even a 2nd rounder like what Bishop cost. Voynov is probably untouchable since the kings traded Johnson just so he can get minutes. Martinez/Greene aren't an upgrade and would be a massive overpayment by us. 2nd you want to trade another 1st plus a 2nd to take a D who could fall to us or we could just keep our picks and get 2 who probably can be better. 3rd Conacher and Killorn aren't NHL ready, both will be in the AHL getting more seasoning, no need to have them in the NHL just to get 4th line minutes.
I don't like the trade myself, but Bernier is more proven than Bishop. I wouldn't be unhappy with him as our starting goalie next season. Would rather have Schneider, but he's going to be really pricey. Also disagree on Conacher. I think he's ready. We'll see how he looks at camp, but he almost made it this past season and I don't see him as a 4th liner.

Old
04-06-2012, 07:37 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Conacher is ready

Old
04-06-2012, 09:39 AM
HoseEmDown

I haven't seen any Admiral games but I see he's killing it, only thing I see is that he's not that big and if he bulks a bit in the offseason then he's he can make the team. We also have no LW besides Malone so that helps him too. I just don't see him as a top 6 foward right now, maybe he can be like Connelly this year and get 3rd line minutes with occasional 2nd. With Marty, Purcell, Connelly and Brown on the right and Panik not too far away we need to move someone soon.

Old
04-06-2012, 11:30 AM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Voynov is already a point producing 20 minute+ per night defender and Bernier hasn't proven what Bishop cost? Seriously?

Let me spell this out for a lot of people who seem to not look at numbers or watch Kings games - Bernier has played 48 games to Schneiders 68, so the idea that Schneider is so much more proven than him is ridiculous. He has carried a Kings team that can't buy a ****ing goal (its comical how they can't score, the only team worse is Minnesota with 165GF) and played with a far regressed defense than Vancouver. Lets not kid ourselves, both of these guys are legit and would be a drastic improvement. The only reason his numbers seem so down is because he has played only 800 minutes this season, while Quick has been on a complete tear and should get a Vezina nomination.

I don't know how you can say Martinez or Greene aren't upgrades, thats ridiculous. Aulie has been awful, Lee has been awful, Gervais is nothing more than a warm body... truthfully, Hedman and Brewer have been the only defenders I could look at and say "yeah, lets put him out there" because none of the others are positionally sound, block shots, or play the body. ****, Greene would be a HUGE upgrade.

We need defense, we need a forward, Conacher is ready to step into a top six role and I think with training camp, Brown will, too. Conacher will be in Tampa next year, don't fool yourself - thats why he was signed now.

So really the only thing we agree on is Voynov not being available. We're moving something (most likely picks) for a goaltender this summer.

Old
04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
nhljohnson

There's no doubt in my mind that the Lightning will make a run at Schneider and/or Bernier.

I think that's priority one for the off-season. I'll be surprised if Yzerman goes the UFA route.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:45 PM
bassassin

Agree with most of the above, but I think your view on Lee is off, he has been very solid. Far better than Gilroy to say the least. And definitely deserving of coming back next season.

Old
04-06-2012, 02:54 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Voynov is already a point producing 20 minute+ per night defender and Bernier hasn't proven what Bishop cost? Seriously?

Let me spell this out for a lot of people who seem to not look at numbers or watch Kings games - Bernier has played 48 games to Schneiders 68, so the idea that Schneider is so much more proven than him is ridiculous. He has carried a Kings team that can't buy a ****ing goal (its comical how they can't score, the only team worse is Minnesota with 165GF) and played with a far regressed defense than Vancouver. Lets not kid ourselves, both of these guys are legit and would be a drastic improvement. The only reason his numbers seem so down is because he has played only 800 minutes this season, while Quick has been on a complete tear and should get a Vezina nomination.

I don't know how you can say Martinez or Greene aren't upgrades, thats ridiculous. Aulie has been awful, Lee has been awful, Gervais is nothing more than a warm body... truthfully, Hedman and Brewer have been the only defenders I could look at and say "yeah, lets put him out there" because none of the others are positionally sound, block shots, or play the body. ****, Greene would be a HUGE upgrade.

We need defense, we need a forward, Conacher is ready to step into a top six role and I think with training camp, Brown will, too. Conacher will be in Tampa next year, don't fool yourself - thats why he was signed now.

So really the only thing we agree on is Voynov not being available. We're moving something (most likely picks) for a goaltender this summer.
The reason people are saying Schneider has more experience isn't just for the 20 games. His GAA is 2.24 save %9.28 and has pkayed in 5 playoff games, Bernier has 2.50 & .910 with no playoff experience. Im not saying that Bernier wouldn't be good for us but he's not worth a potential top 10 pick and more a late 1st/2nd. I don't know what games your watching if you can honestly say Brewer is one of our best and Aullie and Lee are awful. Aullie is still raw and has been physical and decent when giving enough shifts, Lee has been one of our best since we got him, he's had a few bad plays but playing with Clark makes you look bad when your not. I don't watch any kings games but stat wise Greenes about as good as Clark and Martinez is "warm body" Gervais. Greene is almost 30 and makes about 3 mil, we can pay Lee 1 mil and have similar players. Martinez is cheaper but not worth trading for. Conarcher may make the team next year but he won't be given top 6 minutes, have you forgotten Marty, Purcell, Malone and Connelly? We made trade one but we may sign another too. So Conacher and Brown will be a very good 3rd line with Pyatt or Thompson.

Old
04-06-2012, 03:50 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Lee has been one of our best? haha alright. Agree to disagree.

Old
04-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Benders Lindyhop

Quote:
I really don't think Lee has been as bad as you seem to think he is. He's a 5/6 guy sure. And IMO he's better than Gilroy.

Aulie hasn't looked good thus far (although he's been better the last little bit), but the potential seems to be there. He probably should have finished out the season in the AHL, but it wasn't an option at the time.

Old
04-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Everyone in the team in defense has been awful, Hedman, Brewer, Clark, Aulie, Commodore, Gilroy, Gervais, Lee, EVERYONE

Old
04-06-2012, 06:16 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

Gotta agree Lee isn't as bad as Brian is making him out. Yes he had his lapses in judgement, but he is better than gilroy and he can play 6/7 slot easily. But I would agree on Voynov. Love his play. What about:

DET 1st
TBL 2nd
(Maybe Florida's Conditional)
Janus

For

Bernier
Voynov

Old
04-06-2012, 06:35 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross View Post
I really don't think Lee has been as bad as you seem to think he is. He's a 5/6 guy sure. And IMO he's better than Gilroy.

Aulie hasn't looked good thus far (although he's been better the last little bit), but the potential seems to be there. He probably should have finished out the season in the AHL, but it wasn't an option at the time.
He's on the clear day roster so expect him to join Norfolk after the game Saturday

Old
04-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I Am Beat You

Quote:
Who would you put ahead of him?

Old
04-06-2012, 07:06 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alaskan Assassin View Post
Who would you put ahead of him?
Exactly, the only player who's been close is Hedman because he's chipped in offensively. Lee has put up 7 assists in his 19 games which isn't bad for TWD. Nobody on the D has played very good all year, he has to play with Clark so you need to give him extra slack. He skates very well and has good instincts, he just lacks a physical game or mean streak which you get with Aullie so they'd be a good bottom pair. I think he wouldn't be terrible on the 2nd pair with Brewer if someone was hurt. He's also a RHD so you can pencil him in our line up for next year unless we somehow overhaul the entire D. He's also gonna be resigned fairly cheap.

Old
04-06-2012, 10:16 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Lee has been decent. Just needs a better partner.

Old
04-07-2012, 10:53 PM
BoltSTH

picking 10th

Old
04-08-2012, 08:51 AM
shello
@WShello9

I really hope Trouba falls to us. With our second pick I hope we use it in a trade for Schenider.

Old
04-08-2012, 09:25 AM
HoseEmDown

I highly doubt Trouba falls to 10th, or Reilly either. I think we should try to trade up for Trouba and if we can't trade the pick.

Old
04-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Hockeyfan02

From BP if people were curious where our picks are in the first two rounds:

Quote:
The Lightning will head into the draft lottery in the 10th position. The lottery drawing will be held on April 10th, with the results announced by the Deputy Commissioner on the NBC Sports Network at 8 pm.

The Lightning have a 2.1% chance of winning the lottery, which would enable them to move up 4 spots to the 6th spot in the draft. The Lightning also have a 3.9% chance of falling to the 11th pick. It's a 94% likelihood, however, that 10th is indeed where the team will find its draft pick heading into June.

The Lightning also hold Detroit's first round pick (pick 23, as of right now), Minnesota's second round pick (pick 37), their own second round pick (pick 40), Philadelphia's second round pick (pick 52, as of right now), and possibly Florida's second round pick (pick 55, as of right now)

Old
04-08-2012, 10:45 AM
vanskillZ

So yeah we have all these picks, here are some thoughts about the european based players...

Filip Forsberg - Leksand Allsvenskan
The top ranked european player in the draft by pretty much every scouting agency. Good skater, mobile, size, shot and good stickhandling. Right-handed forward with nice two way game, but must improve that part of his game. Good while carrying the puck. I have heard positive things about his attitude aswell. The thing that strikes me is that he is a pure upside pick, he wont make nhl next season like you would expect from top3 pick these days. First line winger upside.

Teuvo Teräväinen - Jokerit Sm-Liiga
The top ranked finnish player. 5'11ish forward with good skating. The thing that strikes about his skating is his upward Stamkos-like skating stride. At the Ivan Hlinca tournament earlier this season scouts were questioning his willingness to go traffic areas, but from what i can gather most of them have changed their mind about the him. He outshined Forsberg and Collberg at a recent u18 event. Great ability to keep the puck and does have a good wrister. I heard earlier that he was kind of a diva and did not practice that much, but as the season has gone on he has appereantly cleaned up his act and is one of the hardest working guys at practice.

Could be a risky pick, but then a again there are no sure picks.

Sebastian Collberg - Frölunda Indians Elitserien

Very high skill level, tries to skate his way in to high trafic areas. Great at 1on1 ability, Has not been ready to exel at mens top level yet, but could be on whole new level next year. About 5'11. Really needs to bulk up in the offseason. Out of these three have seen least so i cant say that much. Wheather he can translate his puckhog style in the small rink is the thing that makes me wonder what is his upside. Could be a Pääjärvi or Franzen with smaller frame.

Ville Pokka - Kärpät Sm-Liiga

Smalish defender at 6'0 but highly skilled for a defenseman. Overall very good offensive talent, but lacks good skating abilty and explosivnes that small nhl defensemen usually have. Could be someone to target at the second round or later. If he had the skating he would go first round. Style wise very close to former lightning Janne Niskala, but with better skill and similar good slapshot.

Some other Guys to look out are 3 defensemen Hampus Lindholm, Esa Lindell, Mikko Vainonen and forward Pontus Åberg but i have seen these guys only less then 10 games so i cant really comment on them.

Old
04-08-2012, 11:51 AM
HoseEmDown

Forsberg will be gone before we pick, Teravainen isn't a need and would be a reach, Collberg we might be able to get at 23, Pokka is a 2nd rounder. If we stay at 10 hopefully Reilly can fall to us, if not we'll probably take Reinhart/Ceci and Det 1st Keokekk/Thrower or BPA if someone falls.

Old
04-08-2012, 12:35 PM
TheDaysOf 04
Rated [SFY]

Quote:
Originally Posted by shello View Post
I really hope Trouba falls to us. With our second pick I hope we use it in a trade for Schenider.
Quote:
I highly doubt Trouba falls to 10th, or Reilly either. I think we should try to trade up for Trouba and if we can't trade the pick.
Ya never know. I don't think anyone saw Dougie Hamilton going 9th last year or Cam Fowler and Brandon Gormley falling to 12 and 13 in 2010.

Closed Thread