HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles rep saying deal in the works?

Old
04-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

vCash: 500
The Thrashers reps were still trying to sell season tickets the day before the team announced it was moving to Winnipeg.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Islanderfan17

I wouldn't believe anything until it happens, honestly. The ticket reps will say anything to get you to buy.

- STH of 5 years now

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
IslanderPride
Fire & Ice

https://twitter.com/#!/edmangano

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano
· I am very aware of the situation with the Coliseum and the Islanders. I try to answer as many of you as possible whenever possible

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano
· The Coliseum and the Islanders are a top priority. Losing them and all that comes with them is not an option.

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano
· There are many things going on that cannot be discussed in public but we are working toward a solution. As soon as I can announce, I will

I dont believe *%#T anyone says ...I'll believe it when i'm walking into the damn place where ever it is

Last edited by IslanderPride: 04-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
IslanderPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:55 PM
nyisles

Send a message via ICQ to nyisles Send a message via AIM to nyisles
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and anything that comes from a ticket rep's mouth.

04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
25yearfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith31 View Post
Agreed...although what is he supposed to do when the fan he is trying to sell on re-upping his season tickets spend 15 minutes complaining about the worst bottom 3 defense in hockey, Jack Capuano's ties, 30 minute waits for bathrooms that haven't been properly cleaned since the days of Brad Lauer, mesothelioma, Grabner's "Claude Loiselle" hands transplant, the fact that fans were throwing free hot dogs purchased by our once-franchsie goalie at our once-franchise goalie and lastly the fact that getting hit in the head by a bun caused his 13th concussion.
Taking a few liberties to put this into a popular Christmas song format to be sung in July.... (displaying final verse only)

On the twelfth week of summer, the organ-eye-zation gave to me
A bottom 3 defense in hockey
Half an hour waa-ait to pee
Franchise goalie made of tissue
Speedster who can't finish
Free agent pylons
Seven dollar hotdogs
Multiple concussions
Caaaap-u-aaaano's Ties....
Mesothelioma
Cap circumvention
Endless re-building
and an Owner who spends to the floor

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 01:58 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
14500 seats would be perfect view and unobstructed. Not including the various suites will ultimately form the backbone of revenue. Which ultimately is what matters.

The myths with Brooklyn will never end...
I would really like to get a definitive/honest answer on this. Do you have a credible source? Everything I have seen says it would be the smallest NHL capacity at 14,500, not 14,500 plus obstructed view. If you look at the available seating configs with the bigger rink and seats that are removed at the end of the ice it is plausible to think that they have removed 3-4K from the 18K basketball setup. In addition there look to be thousands of additional seats in grey reflecting obstructed view. Are you saying that including obstructed view there will be somewhere between 16K-18K capacity? If they can actually get 17K in for a game, that would make a huge difference.

Edit: as per wiki MSG holds 1,500 more for basketball than hockey, that is without removing any seats for the rink extending into the stand area in barclays. Between the obstructed view and limited seating, one whole end including corners appears to either be removed or limited view. Just trying to eyeball without any factual info, this looks to be alot more than 2,000 additional seats impacted. I truly hope I am wrong on this and would like to hear if someone has the real split.

Last edited by 19 in a row: 04-05-2012 at 02:10 PM.
19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Smith31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25yearfan View Post
Taking a few liberties to put this into a popular Christmas song format to be sung in July.... (displaying final verse only)

On the twelfth week of summer, the organ-eye-zation gave to me
A bottom 3 defense in hockey
Half an hour waa-ait to pee
Franchise goalie made of tissue
Speedster who can't finish
Free agent pylons
Seven dollar hotdogs
Multiple concussions
Caaaap-u-aaaano's Ties....
Mesothelioma
Cap circumvention
Endless re-building
and an Owner who spends to the floor

OUTSTANDING. Great....going to be singing "Caaaaaaaaap-u-aaaaaano's ties" for the rest of the day.

Smith31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:05 PM
25yearfan

Quote:
OUTSTANDING. Great....going to be singing "Caaaaaaaaap-u-aaaaaano's ties" for the rest of the day.
My work is done here.

25yearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Krishna

Flyers fan coming in peace of course

Hope you guys stay in NY and figure out a way to get rid of Wang so you can make the division that much better

Never want to see a team moved

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
lorwood

Your ticket rep is full of it.

"Word around the office..."

What office? How many ticket reps do the NY Islanders need? Two guys can't handle the Islanders paltry season ticket clientele?

The guy probably doesn't even report to an office. Probably works from his couch on his laptop.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
Volek25

Send a message via AIM to Volek25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
You guys are mistaking Claude Loiselle for Claude LaPointe. Claude LaPointe had great speed and managed to get lots of breakaways that he hardly ever scored on. Claude Loiselle played 69 games for the Isles spread out over 3 seasons from 1991-1994 and was more of a 4th line grinder who was often injured rather than a speed demon.
Your right, #13 Claude LaPointe, that's who I was thinking of and referring too...good catch, thanks strummer.

Volek25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 02:32 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
Your ticket rep is full of it.

"Word around the office..."

What office? How many ticket reps do the NY Islanders need? Two guys can't handle the Islanders paltry season ticket clientele?

The guy probably doesn't even report to an office. Probably works from his couch on his laptop.
There is a very large office full of cubicles and staffed mainly by young reps. I was there Sunday to discuss my renewal. No, 2 people can not handle 6K-7K seats on season and partial ticket plans. Let the propaganda continue with hate for everything Isles/STHs/NVMC.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:41 PM
Steve55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderPride View Post

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano
· I am very aware of the situation with the Coliseum and the Islanders. I try to answer as many of you as possible whenever possible

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano
· The Coliseum and the Islanders are a top priority. Losing them and all that comes with them is not an option.

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano
· There are many things going on that cannot be discussed in public but we are working toward a solution. As soon as I can announce, I will

I dont believe *%#T anyone says ...I'll believe it when i'm walking into the damn place where ever it is
But Ed doesn't seem to be open on a publicly funded arena for the Islanders. Ed wants it done his way or else since the referendum failed. The fact that Wang leaked the asbestos problem is a clear indication Wang and Nassau County are NOT getting along

Steve55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 50
I won't believe anything from anyone until the deal is 1000000000% finished and shovels are in the ground.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:12 PM
lorwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
There is a very large office full of cubicles and staffed mainly by young reps. I was there Sunday to discuss my renewal. No, 2 people can not handle 6K-7K seats on season and partial ticket plans. Let the propaganda continue with hate for everything Isles/STHs/NVMC.
I can see how you would be confused on a visit. Its my understanding that Wang has rented the majority of the space to the Long Island Fisherman newspaper. Thats what you must have seen.

lorwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:14 PM
periferal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss22 View Post
For the past 2 years the City of Glendale are the owners (covering loses of 25 million per year), while the operations is being overseen by the NHL.

Back when Wang bought the team. No one with any $$ stepped up to by the Isles (cue the name dropping of Mr. Empty Pockets with a secret billionaire investor who never stated publicly his interest in buying the Isles).

Whether you like it or not. He saved the team from "possible" relocation.

Oh I'm well aware of the Phoenix situation. Bottom line is that despite those horrible financial losses the team is still in Phoenix...And in the playoffs. And they don't have as good a following, history, or cable deal like the Isles do.

But let's play it out...After Spano the Isles go up for sale in 2000...And no owner comes along. No Wang, Gutkowski, Lafontaine group, Cuban, Peltz, or anyone else. What happens then?

Based on precedence, I'd say the NHL assumes control of the team. Yet they still have a lease with 15 years left on it. A lease that could not be broken by anyone who tried previously...And a lease that would give the NHL 15 years to find a new owner.

However since the team would lose anywhere from a few million to 20 million a season that a *less broke* Nassau County would probably have to pick up, then then the pressure woudl fall squarely and directly on people like Kate Murray and her fellow Nassau pols to do something immediately. Instead...Wang buying the team means that he, and not Nassau, would take on the losses gave the politicos until 2015 to take any serious action on a new arena essenitally buying them a 15 year honeymoon of re-elections.

But without Wang, the heat from the NHL and Nassau residents coming down on Nassau politicians becuase of astronomical losses they, not any Isles owner, would have had to come up with a solution. They might have then greenlighted a scaled-down Lighthouse style project to attract a new owner/developer. If they couldn't do that then they might have had no choice, but condemn the Coliseum lease freeing up the Isles to move anywhere they wanted.

Nothing is 100% in life so I realize that if Wang didn't come along the Isles could have moved, but now over a decade later I'd say we're actually in a worse position in terms of a new arena and with the worst owner in sports. I mean if Wang can pull off a miracle and actually get a new arena in Nassau, do you really think all of a sudden he starts making good on-ice decisions? I literally cannot think of a good move Wang has made for the Isles. And if you can name one, I can name 5-10 decisions that were anywhere from horrible to downright embarrassing.

The bottom line for me is that I would take the risk of the Isles moving if Wang would put the team up for sale so we'd have the chance of a competnant owner who can get things done. With the cable deal the Isles have and the opportunity to stay in the NY market, I don't see many other cities that can offer what a new arena in this area can.

The problem is that Wang is so inept that he's played almost ever card wrong and in the process making the Isles look like a glorified AHL team thus reducing their value in the marketplace and for other NHL players to come here. The Isles logo doesn't mean what it did 20-30 years ago. I'd rather have no owner then Wang continuing to reduce the value of the Isles to dust.

periferal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:25 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 in a row View Post
I would really like to get a definitive/honest answer on this. Do you have a credible source? Everything I have seen says it would be the smallest NHL capacity at 14,500, not 14,500 plus obstructed view. If you look at the available seating configs with the bigger rink and seats that are removed at the end of the ice it is plausible to think that they have removed 3-4K from the 18K basketball setup. In addition there look to be thousands of additional seats in grey reflecting obstructed view. Are you saying that including obstructed view there will be somewhere between 16K-18K capacity? If they can actually get 17K in for a game, that would make a huge difference.

Edit: as per wiki MSG holds 1,500 more for basketball than hockey, that is without removing any seats for the rink extending into the stand area in barclays. Between the obstructed view and limited seating, one whole end including corners appears to either be removed or limited view. Just trying to eyeball without any factual info, this looks to be alot more than 2,000 additional seats impacted. I truly hope I am wrong on this and would like to hear if someone has the real split.
Yes, you understand, that was the point I was trying to make out before! Here's a good example of what kind of setup we'd see for the Barclays Center.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/937258/301215.jpg
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Keyarena-hockey.jpg Where one corner wouldn't have non-obstructed seating, this Key Arena pic there looks like there is no seating past the far blueline.

Times Warner Arena Charlotte Hockey setup
http://www.aecom.com/News/Sports/_pr...+Carolina,+U.S.

Not to mention the Scoreboard would likely be hanging over one of the bluelines.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 03:27 PM
19 in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorwood View Post
I can see how you would be confused on a visit. Its my understanding that Wang has rented the majority of the space to the Long Island Fisherman newspaper. Thats what you must have seen.
I am not easily confused. Just the facts maam, just the facts. And whoever they are, reps or fisherman reporters, they gave me my tickets this year to Isle games and I expect them to do the same next year.

Old
04-05-2012, 03:54 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Oh I'm well aware of the Phoenix situation. Bottom line is that despite those horrible financial losses the team is still in Phoenix...And in the playoffs. And they don't have as good a following, history, or cable deal like the Isles do.

But let's play it out...After Spano the Isles go up for sale in 2000...And no owner comes along. No Wang, Gutkowski, Lafontaine group, Cuban, Peltz, or anyone else. What happens then?

Based on precedence, I'd say the NHL assumes control of the team. Yet they still have a lease with 15 years left on it. A lease that could not be broken by anyone who tried previously...And a lease that would give the NHL 15 years to find a new owner.

However since the team would lose anywhere from a few million to 20 million a season that a *less broke* Nassau County would probably have to pick up, then then the pressure woudl fall squarely and directly on people like Kate Murray and her fellow Nassau pols to do something immediately. Instead...Wang buying the team means that he, and not Nassau, would take on the losses gave the politicos until 2015 to take any serious action on a new arena essenitally buying them a 15 year honeymoon of re-elections.

But without Wang, the heat from the NHL and Nassau residents coming down on Nassau politicians becuase of astronomical losses they, not any Isles owner, would have had to come up with a solution. They might have then greenlighted a scaled-down Lighthouse style project to attract a new owner/developer. If they couldn't do that then they might have had no choice, but condemn the Coliseum lease freeing up the Isles to move anywhere they wanted.

Nothing is 100% in life so I realize that if Wang didn't come along the Isles could have moved, but now over a decade later I'd say we're actually in a worse position in terms of a new arena and with the worst owner in sports. I mean if Wang can pull off a miracle and actually get a new arena in Nassau, do you really think all of a sudden he starts making good on-ice decisions? I literally cannot think of a good move Wang has made for the Isles. And if you can name one, I can name 5-10 decisions that were anywhere from horrible to downright embarrassing.

The bottom line for me is that I would take the risk of the Isles moving if Wang would put the team up for sale so we'd have the chance of a competnant owner who can get things done. With the cable deal the Isles have and the opportunity to stay in the NY market, I don't see many other cities that can offer what a new arena in this area can.

The problem is that Wang is so inept that he's played almost ever card wrong and in the process making the Isles look like a glorified AHL team thus reducing their value in the marketplace and for other NHL players to come here. The Isles logo doesn't mean what it did 20-30 years ago. I'd rather have no owner then Wang continuing to reduce the value of the Isles to dust.
With regards to the league buying the Isles. The precedence is Phoenix and that is an exception where Gary did not want Ballsilie to buy the team and move them to Hamilton.

As per http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2391952/

The Glendale mayor feels hoodwinked believing they would only have to pay for losses for 1 year believing the NHL that there would be a new owner in sight to keep the team in Glendale for years to come.

Now there is no owner, and by all indications the team will move this offseason.

With Phoenix being the precedence I don't believe the same would have happened to the Isles back when Wang bought the team as the owner was desperate to sell and wanted asking price (Mr. Empty pockets was trying to get it at half the price).

We wouldn't have 15 years to play it out with the politicians or the NHL floating the team until the lease expires.

Now since the lease will soon expire. If Wang were to sell. There is obviously more incentive for a new owner to buy the team and move them anywhere in the NY area in order to keep the cable revenue. i.e. Ratner/Brooklyn

But back then. Wang saved the team from "possible" relocation.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:22 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I won't believe anything from anyone until the deal is 1000000000% finished and shovels are in the ground.
Shovels in the ground aren't enough for me. Anyone can dig a hole. I'll believe once there is some steel superstructure in place...

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:26 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
Shovels in the ground aren't enough for me. Anyone can dig a hole. I'll believe once there is some steel superstructure in place...
Well you know what? I won't believe it until I'm sitting in my seat on Opening Night 2016!

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:35 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if reps were given the "go ahead" to talk this up....we'll find out during the summer I guess. Could be this rep was "going rogue"....

Deb Placey: "...and Jack, what makes you an authority on coaching an NHL team having only coached in the AHL?"

Jack Capuano "Well....I can see Gino's pizzera from my house"
Jack never said that. Tina Fey actually had the deli apron on, water bottle in hand in a skit when she said that.

OlTimeHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:38 PM
TheBoss22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Just wanted to say.... LOVE your new name!!!

I feel like going for a Taste after work.

TheBoss22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 05:58 PM
MTK

Being NYI rep has to be one of the worst job in sales because the product sucks.

If I was a rep, I would tell you Parise and Suter are signing..then quit on July 1st.

MTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Bert Marshall days

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderPride View Post

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano

Ed Mangano ‏ @edmangano

Good thing Crazy Eddie is working so hard on NYI despite closing police stations and firing County workers to save pennies.

Brooklyn baby....until Queens is ready.

Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote