HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Habs at 'Canes - 7:00 PM - The Home Finale

Old
04-05-2012, 11:19 PM
LadyCane

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
What's your twitter? I'll add some positivity to your fellow caniac experience lol.

Oh hell yea, A shootout win!
I'm Cielamara on there. I tallied the fans of various teams that I'm friends with on Twitter, and for some reason, the number of Habs fans and Canes fans are tied. We need to change that.

LadyCane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
But it's one of those commercials that's so terribad that it's almost epic in a sense.
I'm pretty sure they made it "terribad" on purpose, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisIceness View Post
Muller: "Crowd is anxious to see playoff hockey again"

You have no idea how bad too.
Me probably more than most people... I've still yet to experience a Canes playoff game in person. I'm starving for one... especially after being so close last season. I still can't get over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Cooper View Post
There are no words.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:33 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Staal still needs that one point, for god's sake.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:39 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

I actually thought Staal played pretty well tonight. He was about the only player that stood out in the offensive zone on either team.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 11:53 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Just too many frustrating plays with regards to Staal tonight. The one that stands out the most was late in the 1st. LaRose takes a shot, Budaj gives a slow rebound right to where Staal is, uncontested. Rather than take the necessary step or two forward to actually gain possession of the puck and possibly generate a scoring chance, he did his typical "Swipe at the puck as it passes by and hope I get lucky" move.

That move, in my mind, is a great indication of Staal's dedication to any particular game. When Staal is "on"/"beast mode"/whathaveyou, he's always fighting for puck possession, going hard after the puck, making plays with authority. When he does that wimpy stick swipe, whether it's at a loose puck or at an opposing player breaking down the wing, that's when I know he's just not "into" that game.

For whatever reason, the team looked dead tired, right from the puck drop. There was the LaRose chance, like 20 seconds in, off a great Staal feed. Then Subban's penalty 10 seconds later. But whatever happened during that powerplay absolutely drained this team. After that powerplay, we had blind passes, passes into skates, spin-o-rama behind the back passes (I couldn't believe Jokinen tried that crap on an oddman. Seriously?)

And the powerplay had no middle ground. It was either "Great scoring chance that somehow didn't bounce our way" or "Hey, let's see if taking a slapshot directly into the opposing player will affect the ability to score on this powerplay". I remember at least Pitkanen and McBain testing that theory. Pretty sure I saw it from Faulk and Spacek as well.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:13 AM
impeach estaalo
RIPronrefo nevar4get

vCash: 50
Jokinen is almost as big of a joke as Ruutu. He does not shoot unless it's a breakaway or he has an empty net in front of him. "I have a great scoring chance, BRB spinorama"

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I will say one thing. After reading over the Habs GDT, I'm glad we never reached that level. I understand wanting a high pick in the draft, but actively cheering for opposing players to score against your team (And not in the facetious way that was done on here recently) is just wrong to read.

Of course, if we were in their position and had a chance at a Top 3 pick, I can't say if this board would be any different.

Old
04-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon cole canes View Post
Jokinen is almost as big of a joke as Ruutu. He does not shoot unless it's a breakaway or he has an empty net in front of him. "I have a great scoring chance, BRB spinorama"

Carolinas Identity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Our team reminded me of the Maurice team at the beginning of the year.

Timid and afraid to shoot in the offensive zone; timid and reactionary in the defensive zone.

There was a play where Skinner had a prime scoring chance to shoot 5 feet from the net, uncontested at an unset Budaj. Instead, he opts to pass crosscrease to the covered Harrison's feet, who I believe did not get a shot off.

This was a game between two piss poor teams. We won, but this game reminded me just how much improvement we need before we see the playoffs. We need talent, at all positions, and lots of it.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandwagon cole canes View Post
Well, considering Jokinen the playmaker is >>> than Jokinen the goalscorer (outside the one year with near 20% shooting percentage), I will give him a pass in that regard.

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Anton H Christ
ruh-roh corvo

no ESCAPE FROM REALITY

Anton H Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:07 AM
SCanedinavian

NHL tells me Staal scored in a shootout. Not sure what to believe here.

SCanedinavian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:43 AM
PaulProteus
****ing amaxing dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I will say one thing. After reading over the Habs GDT, I'm glad we never reached that level. I understand wanting a high pick in the draft, but actively cheering for opposing players to score against your team (And not in the facetious way that was done on here recently) is just wrong to read.

Of course, if we were in their position and had a chance at a Top 3 pick, I can't say if this board would be any different.
The tank would not be for me. I would be embarrassed, even using a pseudonym.

PaulProteus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:57 AM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulProteus View Post
The tank would not be for me. I would be embarrassed, even using a pseudonym.
Losses kill me. I'd never cheer for the Canes to lose. Not in my DNA.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:18 AM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCanedinavian View Post
NHL tells me Staal scored in a shootout. Not sure what to believe here.
He actually didn't shoot for once and was rewarded for it.

halleJOKEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Callahan View Post
I actually thought Staal played pretty well tonight. He was about the only player that stood out in the offensive zone on either team.
Agreed. He seemed determined to win that game and why I wasn't going WTF when he came over the boards for the shootout. I actually LOVED seeing it. From day 1 Muller stuck with him and the guy was going to die with him by sending him out there.

I had to laugh at both Ward's and Staal's comments about not wanting Cole to score in the shootout.

That game pretty much had it all and I walked out of there with a smile on my face rather than sitting there in disbelief wondering WTF just happened.

I'd love nothing more than to knock Florida from 3rd to 8th and give them their first class tickets to NY. But we need to rely on the Caps to beat the Rangers who just lost to the Pens and well I wouldn't bet on the Caps winning that game. But I'd still love to beat Florida and send them into the playoffs on a losing streak.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 09:26 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, that GDT is painful. Habs fans of all people, with zero competitive pride.

Quote:
True.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 04:07 PM
gocanes88
I heart Forslund

Quote:
I never understood the point of this, anyway. Is the world truly over if you pick three spots lower? Rooting against your team is ridiculous as it is, but this just makes it even dumber.

gocanes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Lazyking
Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocanes88 View Post
I never understood the point of this, anyway. Is the world truly over if you pick three spots lower? Rooting against your team is ridiculous as it is, but this just makes it even dumber.
I know one leafs fan on a totally different site that every time they play now, he's rooting for them to lose and when they win, he curses them out and says hes done with them

Lazyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

The best part of it is, is that guys fall all the time. Drafts NEVER go as expected outside maybe the top 3.

Case in point, remember when 2 years ago Gormley and Fowler, who were ranked 4th and 5th at the time I believe, fell to 12th and 13th?

Hell, the main board has Forsberg going 8th. Cheering for your team to lose is MAJOR bad karma and is basically like sticking your pen15 in a toaster. Ya you can do it, and it may seem like a good idea at the time, but in the end, ya prolly could've saved yourself some embarassment and come out looking okay anyway if ya hadn't.

Old
04-07-2012, 09:41 AM
AD Skinner

That is one heck of an analogy

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Head Goose
Doing Less Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi Trollinen View Post
The best part of it is, is that guys fall all the time. Drafts NEVER go as expected outside maybe the top 3.

Case in point, remember when 2 years ago Gormley and Fowler, who were ranked 4th and 5th at the time I believe, fell to 12th and 13th?

Hell, the main board has Forsberg going 8th. Cheering for your team to lose is MAJOR bad karma and is basically like sticking your pen15 in a toaster. Ya you can do it, and it may seem like a good idea at the time, but in the end, ya prolly could've saved yourself some embarassment and come out looking okay anyway if ya hadn't.
I get the feeling that you're claiming this as though you've done it before...

Head Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2012, 11:39 AM
Carolinas Identity
#freehope

Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicEnemy View Post
I get the feeling that you're claiming this as though you've done it before...
no comment

Old
04-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

At what time does that seem like a good idea?

Old
04-07-2012, 11:44 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 2498
Quote:
At what time does that seem like a good idea?
When the team is dead last in the league and only has 10 wins in 3 months of hockey?
oh wait, we've done that recently

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote