HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Overly Cynical Rangers Fan?

Closed Thread

Old
11-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Synergy27

vCash: 500
Overly Cynical Rangers Fan?

Has anyone else thought about this:

Lets say this labor dispute ends up costing an entire season. Then, for the sake of argument, when the NHL finally resumes play there is a completely revamped rules/gameplay system that favors offense and creativity (bigger nets, no redline, etc). Seems to me that the Rangers teams of the past 7 years might flourish in a situation like that, and that our newly formed defensive minded, youthful club would not. Am I just a cynical Rangers fan or what?

Old
11-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Yep, you're an overly cynical Ranger fan. First, the groups of players who have been put together over the last 4-7 years were not put together in any coherent fashion, there were players playing out of position constantly and too many players taking on roles they were not suited for. They might have been great "teams" on paper (not really), but regardless of the prevailing style of play they didn't play like a team on the ice. Throw in the lousy coaching and lack of younger players in the lineup to provide energy and presto-chango, very little changes. Not to mention that even good teams with lots of offense play enough defense to win and can kill penalties.

Second, if the league has its way, there will be even less skill on the ice when play resumes (and I don't mean in the case of replacement players). Defense will be just as important, if not more so. You can teach marginal players who don't cost a lot defense, but while you can teach a gifted offensive player how to use their skill better, there is very little you can do with someone who lacks it. Balej will never be the type of defensive minded player Ortmeyer is, but he has learned enough defense that he can play in any sort of situation. Ortmeyer on the other hand will never score half as many goals in a season as Balej, no matter how cold Balej may be right now.

The only way back to a winning franchise for the Rangers is to build from the ground up. That's the way it's has always been in the NHL, regardless of the era.

Old
11-30-2004, 07:01 AM
NYR469

the rangers of the last 7 years would not flourish under any circumstances because they were a bunch of lazy losers. they were NOT a good offensive team, well they were pretty offensive to watch but just because they didn't play defense and had a roster that would have looked great 10 years ago or in a video game that doesn't mean they were had a good offense...

it isn't like we lost games 7-6 because we scored a ton but couldn't play defense, we couldn't score either

Old
11-30-2004, 08:50 AM
Fletch

You are correct in saying...

that the Rangers would have scored more, but so would other teams. It's impossible to tell what the Rangers of the last 4-7 years would do. You watch the game and come away with a few points. One, more often than not they were screwed in the PP column, often resulting in a loss. But two, they found ways to lose at the same time. Too often out of position. Taking ill-timed stupid penalties, often a retaliation of a non-call. Lack of cohesive play. It's nearly possible to say that if the game was played right, that the talent on the Rangers would overcome all their shortcomings and actually win some games.

But on another topic - nets do not need to be widened, rather goalie padding needs to be where it was in the 1980s. The league doesn't need more goal scoring, per say, it needs more quality play. If you're going to let the goalies block an entire net with padding, you might as well let the forwards and defensemen have a greater curvature on their sticks.

Old
11-30-2004, 08:51 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by synergy27
Has anyone else thought about this:

Lets say this labor dispute ends up costing an entire season. Then, for the sake of argument, when the NHL finally resumes play there is a completely revamped rules/gameplay system that favors offense and creativity (bigger nets, no redline, etc). Seems to me that the Rangers teams of the past 7 years might flourish in a situation like that, and that our newly formed defensive minded, youthful club would not. Am I just a cynical Rangers fan or what?
Bigger nets and no redline (if they happen) cannot compensate for lack of heart, chemistry, or work ethic.

Old
11-30-2004, 03:24 PM
Fish

In terms of success I have to agree and say that offense might have improved, but I dare say the special teams and defense would still be a sore spot for the organization...though to be honest I'm not sure that the end result of this lockout will actually include much in terms of opening the game up offensively...

In terms of bad timing, I always thought Sather's move towards a more physical, aggressive team was bad timing considering the league's crackdown on such play under the guise of kerbing interference. You could of course argue that the team's poor discipline was not just a result of that, but still he did go out and get players who tended to take a lot of penalties...

Closed Thread