HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Clock Malfunction Complaints Have Started (as I predicted)

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2012, 08:25 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

vCash: 500
Clock Malfunction Complaints Have Started (as I predicted)

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1154705

Sharks board, whining thread has commenced (though to be fair, there are some sane heads posting in it -- the OP, however, did exactly what I knew would happen.)

Old
04-05-2012, 08:32 AM
Chazz Reinhold

They've started to creep up on the main boards, too.

I still can't get someone who cries foul about it to explain to me why the NHL, with all their fire and brimstone before the investigation, shut up pretty damn quickly after the investigation. This issue conveniently disappeared off the NHL's radar.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
Whiskeypete

total weaksauce. like one of their own said - take care of your own.

LA could claim the same type of bs when it comes down to the blown video replay calls each season TOR screws them over on

Old
04-05-2012, 08:35 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
I still can't get someone who cries foul about it to explain to me why the NHL, with all their fire and brimstone before the investigation, shut up pretty damn quickly after the investigation.
"I guess the NHL needs Hollywood in the playoffs..", maybe?

Old
04-05-2012, 08:41 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

The point to be made here is that while the display was inaccurate, the clock did NOT malfunction. The period was 20 minutes in length, no more, no less.

If people want further explanantion refer them to the information provided by the Kings on how the display is calibrated and how it has been witnessed on several other clocks in different arenas.

Old
04-05-2012, 08:45 AM
spintheblackcircle
Global Moderator
s'all good, man.

There isn't a single complaint in that thread.

04-05-2012, 09:18 AM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
There isn't a single complaint in that thread.
It's a poor example but there are complaints elsewhere. McClellan is on record with comments to the effect that he isn't going to be concerned about it unless it's a factor when the season ends (which it most certainly will be).

“For me right now, it’s not a factor at all,” McLellan said. “I’m hoping that nobody has to bring that up at the end of the year, we take care of our own business and away we go.

“It’s much too early to be looking at that kind of stuff. We can play hockey and take care of it ourselves.”

Douglas Murray had a similar perspective.

“It’s nothing you can think about now,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s something you think about once the season’s over. But with the same number of points and the same amount of games left and we play them three times, if we come crying over that point once these last 10 games are done, our focus is not where it was supposed to be.”

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/sharks/...ry-to-rebound/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
They've started to creep up on the main boards, too.

I still can't get someone who cries foul about it to explain to me why the NHL, with all their fire and brimstone before the investigation, shut up pretty damn quickly after the investigation. This issue conveniently disappeared off the NHL's radar.
I'd imagine it's because this is a pretty normal occurrence for clocks made by a particular manufacturer. Ever since this has happened, people are keeping an eye on the clocks more and several folks have noticed the clock "freezing" for a second or two at various arenas/games.

As much as folks want to rail on Dean's explanation - a simplified version of that explanation is probably not far off - clocks self-calibrate and that's probably what we saw.

Just a guess on my part though, but the clock issues are certainly not unique to Staples Center.

I do find it very annoying that the NHL simply shut up about it after raising all sorts of hell in the press.

Last edited by TonySCV: 04-05-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old
04-05-2012, 09:40 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
I do find it very annoying that the NHL simply shut up about it after raising all sorts of hell in the press.
Yeah. I suppose we'll learn more about it during the off season.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:44 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Mehh, nothing in there bothered me. I know if it was the other way around, someone on this board would have posted the "what if this didn't happen" question as well. Frankly, I think we should be pleased Sharks fans in that thread are pretty mellow, considering their team has really struggled down the stretch and are now needing to come up big against a rival or they could be right out of the playoffs. If we were in their shoes we'd be pretty ticked as a whole.

Old
04-05-2012, 09:46 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeypete View Post

total weaksauce. like one of their own said - take care of your own.

LA could claim the same type of bs when it comes down to the blown video replay calls each season TOR screws them over on
Riiight, because the only reason Toronto is there is to screw the Kings over.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:01 AM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He's not saying that Toronto is out to screw the Kings over. He's saying that we have just as much right to complain about losing points when an obvious replay didn't change a call and we lost points as a result.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:17 AM
SLang

It all evens out in the end. If teams want to ***** about the clock because they weren't able to take care of their own business that's their (and their fans) problem.

If the *****ing continues and we're crazy-fortunate enough to win the SC you'll see me waving a THANKS, COULOMBS sign. Just to piss them off.

Old
04-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
It would be nice if the league came out with an explanation. It is a very common occurrence for Staples Center across all sports played there and has been witnessed in a few other arenas this season (Anaheim and I believe St. Louis). Ours was just magnified because it was right at the same time a final second goal was scored, but it is something that is very common regardless.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
04-05-2012, 11:00 AM
YP44

Wasn't it proven that the staples centre clock does do the reset thing that DL spoke to. It does it in Lakers games too does it not?
Why isn't this being brought up by the league. If they would have released a statement it would be a dead issue.
Also who is to say LA doesn't win in OT.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:10 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Lol he is implying that Toronto bones us often on video calls and we usually lose a few points out of it.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:32 AM
mbar

The league made such a big show about ordering an investigation into the "malfunction" but have they just been completely silent one way or the other since?

I know that since this incident I've seen posters here point out examples of the same thing happening in other games both involving and not involving the Kings and before and after this big incident.

Because of that I was actually interested in the league's conclusion on their investigation because it is such a strange thing.

Has it just been silence from the NHL ?

Old
04-05-2012, 11:34 AM
YP44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post
The league made such a big show about ordering an investigation into the "malfunction" but have they just been completely silent one way or the other since?

I know that since this incident I've seen posters here point out examples of the same thing happening in other games both involving and not involving the Kings and before and after this big incident.

Because of that I was actually interested in the league's conclusion on their investigation because it is such a strange thing.

It sure has, which to me indicates it is a non-story. Maybe they released something to the teams and media didn't pick it up as it wasn't sexy.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:46 AM
Asheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbar View Post

Rich Hammond reported that the NHL ran tests and didn't find anything wrong. There are also witnesses in the booth. Apparently there's no way to hit that button without everyone hearing a beep.

A poster here found an instance where it happened twice for no reason in the Kings loss to Colorado and put it on YouTube, right? That was so helpful.

It'd be great if we could find other instances and post them, too. I have Gamecenter, but I'm afraid I don't know how to post footage.

Old
04-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I really don't see anyone complaining in that thread.

I just see a bunch of us jumping in and saying "hey before you start complaining stop complaining!"

Old
04-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

I just see a bunch of us jumping in and saying "hey before you start complaining stop complaining!"
Unfortunately yeah.

This is a huge non-story in my opinion.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:07 PM
KingsKnight
L.A. Kriminals

Quote:

I think just by bringing it up, the subtext is that the OP on their board feels there is still an issue there. It's like if your gf says "Hey, it's no big deal, but I noticed you didn't pick up your clothes off the floor. Not a big deal, just mentioning it." Everyone knows what the subtext is.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
If people want further explanantion refer them to the information provided by the Kings on how the display is calibrated and how it has been witnessed on several other clocks in different arenas.
I saw it happen on a game the other day on Versus. It was last week and it wasn't the Kings playing. Apparently the NHL needs to buy some Swatches.

Old
04-05-2012, 12:13 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheru View Post
Rich Hammond reported that the NHL ran tests and didn't find anything wrong. There are also witnesses in the booth. Apparently there's no way to hit that button without everyone hearing a beep.

A poster here found an instance where it happened twice for no reason in the Kings loss to Colorado and put it on YouTube, right? That was so helpful.

It'd be great if we could find other instances and post them, too. I have Gamecenter, but I'm afraid I don't know how to post footage.
Hammond posted an instance of it happening in another game (I think it was Dallas and Nashville?) with about 10:00 minutes left in a period a couple of weeks after the incident with the Kings. If I have a spare monent I'll try to track it down...

Old
04-05-2012, 01:59 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Bingo.

Old
04-05-2012, 02:24 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

If I was San Jose I'd be more mad at losing an ROW when Calgary pushed their own goalie over in ot, forcing the shootout.

Closed Thread