HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Can't Win When You Can't Finish (Episode 31)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2012, 09:43 PM
  #151
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmania View Post
Something to add to the G:

Hey, maybe they'll reassess how ****ty the game presentation department is and actually bring in fresh people with fresh ideas . . . (I know, they're just there to supplement the on-ice product, but it's still an important part.)
Work your way in Burg!!!

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:43 PM
  #152
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So if a friend moves to a diffferent state, I don't want you to ever talk to them again because he doesn't support your state!


Sounds dumb?


So is expecting Leino to cut all ties with friends he's made in Philly.

And I am sure Leino is disappointed they lost. I like Hamilton, but he needs to chill out and stop making a soap opera out of players intentions and true feelings.
Agreed.

Hamilton is a slob who shouldn't be employed by any media outlet.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:45 PM
  #153
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Oh my Lord... CSN trolling buffalo, ******* announcer that know nothing about hockey goes:



Here you go, you can look forward to this, they never let you down, right?

Big talk in DC bubby. Bring that **** to the fruit belt.

Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
  #154
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
I think there is a difference in understanding WHY a team lost (look at the entirety) and pointing out that a specific player has almost never come through in the clutch when it's do or die
why is it only on miller though? i don't see anyone on this team as clutch. maybe pominville? if more of this team was consistently clutch, we would have won this game. someone would have finished a chance or 2 more.
also last year's loss against the flyers wasn't really on him...we turtled almost the whole second period after getting up 3-1 and expected miller to stand on his head, got screwed by the refs and gave up a 5 on 3 goal. then we got stuck in a 4 on 2 on the GWG because vanek was an idiot and blasted a slapshot way wide as we were changing, basically cleared the puck up to center ice for the flyers. and then chris butler or mike weber happened. maybe 1 of those goals was definitively on miller. god being at that game sucked.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:48 PM
  #155
sand1138man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
3 out of the 4 top defenseman were out tonight. Regehr wouldn't have been on the ice for the 2nd goal, and It wouldn't have happened because Myers or Ehrhoff would have ground Read off on the wall instead of letting him walk by...

Whatever. This season was just...... horrible. The last two months were fun. That's it. Major changes needed in the offseason.

Seriously how can you say that major changes are needed? People are made we are gonna have a 13th pck instead of a top five, but the fact that once we got healthy we were as good as any team in the league PROVES that we have the personel in place, we dont need to rebuild, we dont need to fire anyone, the only team that needs to be changed is the team of trainers, conditioning coachers, and dieticians because we seem to ALWAYS get ripped with injuries, and not every team runs into these problems nearly as much as we do, so there is a reason and there are things we can do to try and limit the injuries, like different eating habbits, excercize routines, styles of play, amount of minutes, choices being made during the game, sleeping patterns, stretches, betters ways to heal when you are injured to get back faster and 100 percent. Not everything that has to do with injuries is luck. We make our own luck, and a lot of the players who mnever played before got a chance to play during this year so our depth will have more experience next year when we do bring somone up, so its not all a loss....stick with the plan and make little changes that need to be made, but dont mess with the chemistry of the team any more then it was messed with this year

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
  #156
Ralonzo
Я хочу!
 
Ralonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,678
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Ralonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I've seen at least 10 pet agendas in the GDT and this thread.

But reality is not an agenda!
The three guys I don't want near this roster next year are: Roy, Leopold, Vanek. They were clearly the worst players on the ice, most nights, when it meant something. IMO.

How many agendas can I qualify for with that attitude?

I'm just looking with my eyes and trying to figure out what they tell me. It's strange these days. Like when I tell people Sulzer is a 6/7 at best and has reached his upside. Apparently my eyes are completely wrong and we stole Sulzer and he's the next Goligoski in the making. oooookay.


Last edited by Ralonzo: 04-05-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Ralonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:53 PM
  #157
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
yeah, I know but that's just the way it is... it comes with the position.

As my goaltending son tells me... "I'm the last line of defense, person who'se principle job on the team is to keep the puck out of the net. If I don't let them score, then we win (or tie)."

My attitude as always been that the other 5 people on the ice are responsible too and had something to do with that play or puck going in the net.

But my son... who is a big Ryan Miller fan tells me B.S.. It's on the goalie's shoulders to win the game or take the blame.... He says if ya can't handle the pressure or the situation, don't play the position.
Sounds like we could use your son on the Sabres. We need a lot more players with that type of attitude on this team.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 09:56 PM
  #158
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
Seriously how can you say that major changes are needed? People are made we are gonna have a 13th pck instead of a top five, but the fact that once we got healthy we were as good as any team in the league PROVES that we have the personel in place, we dont need to rebuild, we dont need to fire anyone, the only team that needs to be changed is the team of trainers, conditioning coachers, and dieticians because we seem to ALWAYS get ripped with injuries, and not every team runs into these problems nearly as much as we do, so there is a reason and there are things we can do to try and limit the injuries, like different eating habbits, excercize routines, styles of play, amount of minutes, choices being made during the game, sleeping patterns, stretches, betters ways to heal when you are injured to get back faster and 100 percent. Not everything that has to do with injuries is luck. We make our own luck, and a lot of the players who mnever played before got a chance to play during this year so our depth will have more experience next year when we do bring somone up, so its not all a loss....stick with the plan and make little changes that need to be made, but dont mess with the chemistry of the team any more then it was messed with this year
Are you fine with having Roy on the team next year? I would say that is a major change.

Are you fine with having Vanek on the team next year? (I'm not saying I want him gone, I'm undecided) That would be a major change.

Leopold?

Lindy?

I'd say there are quite a few changes that should be made that are classified as major. When a team gets close to being a contender, they don't stop making moves! This team is good when healthy, but not a SC contender, and I think at heart the FO knows it and will make the necessary changes.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:02 PM
  #159
Circusboy39
Registered User
 
Circusboy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Just having Roy off the team isn't the whole issue, who do you replace him with? Adam? Cheesy free agent? (not a lot of center depth on the market supposedly)

I understand the sentiment but the lack of a suitable replacement I think keeps him around.

Circusboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
  #160
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
Seriously how can you say that major changes are needed? People are made we are gonna have a 13th pck instead of a top five, but the fact that once we got healthy we were as good as any team in the league PROVES that we have the personel in place, we dont need to rebuild, we dont need to fire anyone, the only team that needs to be changed is the team of trainers, conditioning coachers, and dieticians because we seem to ALWAYS get ripped with injuries, and not every team runs into these problems nearly as much as we do, so there is a reason and there are things we can do to try and limit the injuries, like different eating habbits, excercize routines, styles of play, amount of minutes, choices being made during the game, sleeping patterns, stretches, betters ways to heal when you are injured to get back faster and 100 percent. Not everything that has to do with injuries is luck. We make our own luck, and a lot of the players who mnever played before got a chance to play during this year so our depth will have more experience next year when we do bring somone up, so its not all a loss....stick with the plan and make little changes that need to be made, but dont mess with the chemistry of the team any more then it was messed with this year
Lindy...is that you?

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:06 PM
  #161
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circusboy39 View Post
Just having Roy off the team isn't the whole issue, who do you replace him with? Adam? Cheesy free agent? (not a lot of center depth on the market supposedly)

I understand the sentiment but the lack of a suitable replacement I think keeps him around.
I'd be fine with keeping him around until the trade deadline to max his value out. He needs to be gone by then at the latest though, he's gonna want a payraise that we possibly won't be able to afford.
Too bad real life isn't like NHL12, I was able to trade roy for nugent hopkins and edmonton's 1st and 2nd round picks haha

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
  #162
Royisgone
Registered User
 
Royisgone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
RJ's last game on Saturday?
I have been wondering the same thing for a while now, and think there is a good chance RJ makes some type of announcement at the end of that game.

I hope I am wrong, even if he is a shadow of his former announcing self the last couple years.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:07 PM
  #163
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
I classify "major" change as moving 5 or more guys. For me, it's not who is moved, but how many.


So if they move Roy and say.... Leopold. To me, those aren't major changes, they are tweaks to the roster.

So between Feb. 2012 and Sept. 2012 they (hypothetically) would have moved 4 players... Gragnani, Gaustad, Roy and Leopold. I don't include Kassian because he was just a prospect on the cusp of being an NHLer.

That's significant moves! Not major, but a healthy amount of tweaking!


Just my O.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:11 PM
  #164
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
Sounds like we could use your son on the Sabres. We need a lot more players with that type of attitude on this team.
Thanks, he's a remarkable player..... just a little short on the necessary talent....

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:16 PM
  #165
Circusboy39
Registered User
 
Circusboy39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 56
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roymustgo View Post
I have been wondering the same thing for a while now, and think there is a good chance RJ makes some type of announcement at the end of that game.

I hope I am wrong, even if he is a shadow of his former announcing self the last couple years.
FWIW Ted Black was on WGR earlier in the week and said he talked to RJ about his schedule this season and mentioned RJ told him he actually felt like he took off too many games, so I'd say it sounds like he'll not be hanging it up on Saturday.

Circusboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:23 PM
  #166
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
Please don't take it that way...... I'm not trying to drum him out or run an agenda here even though I have been critical of him in the past. However, I respect his efforts over the past two months.

I've named some names in posts this past year, ex-NHL coaches, some NCAA guys I'm impressed with.... even lobbied a bit for Mike Foligno - which is out the question now with Marcus coming of age.

Players definitely need to be rejuvenated i.e.; get rid of the deadwood like Boyes, open to a Vanek trade, old core replaced by new core..... But as much as I like what Ruff has done, he's like a boat anchor twisted around our neck. I get the imperssion Dineen left in part because Ruff has tenure ( opportunity to become a NHL head coach on his own.. Good for him!). I saw that as a missed opportunity to change the culture and attitude surrounding the team. Something I'd like to see happen because 14 seasons is really more than long enough.

That's like 98 dog years!

Well, maybe that is an agenda.... if so, I apologize.

I don't have a problem with that thinking.

When I hear that Ruff has become stale or the players tune him out thats when i take issue ..and thats what i thought you met.

Beerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:26 PM
  #167
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Lindy...is that you?
"but the fact that once we got healthy we were as good as any team in the league PROVES that we have the personel in place, we dont need to rebuild"

Nope....... we're no where near being an elite team...... We can not consistantly challenge Pittsburg or Detroit or Philadelphia and win.

We can occasionally steal a game from the likes of Vancouver, NYR (in NY) and San Jose and Chicago when they aren't playing especially well and our goaltender is.

Boston is a weird situation because we know each other so well but they are definitely a better team.

This isn't the most qualifying criteria or grading system but it appears to me that it an elite caliber team usually have around 4 - 5 NHL All Star level players on the team. (The quality of their play varies from year to year but they are fairly regular stat leaders and invitees to the game. I.e.; Thorton, Marlow, Pavlowski, Boyles; St. Louis, Stamkos, LaCavellier, Malone; Crosby. Malkin, Stall, Fluery, LeTang; Chara, Thomas, Chara, Thomas )

We had one this past year and one of our young guns ended the season in the minors. I don't think we are anywhere near as good as anybody else. Except maybe for short runs of 20 games or so (when our goalie gets mad and motivated.)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:26 PM
  #168
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
On RJ... Ted Black has given RJ a blank schedule and told him to fill in what he wants. If RJ wants to do 7 games or 70 games, Ted will say ok and get someone else to do the rest. And I am fine with that.

RJ is 70 and he's winding down, but I hope he hangs on until the cup call. (wise ass comments are obvious).

I just hope they do some serious tryouts over the summer and preseason to get a better fill-in than Sylvester.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:28 PM
  #169
LucilleAustero
Registered User
 
LucilleAustero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,851
vCash: 500
Even after a few hours, this is how I still feel:

LucilleAustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:29 PM
  #170
sabresfan129103
Registered User
 
sabresfan129103's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Amherst, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,794
vCash: 500
Rochester has a game on Saturday. I wonder if they send Foligno back before the Boston game.

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
  #171
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,297
vCash: 500
Any update on the Sulzer situation? Hoping things are okay for he and his wife.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
  #172
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I don't have a problem with that thinking.

When I hear that Ruff has become stale or the players tune him out thats when i take issue ..and thats what i thought you met.
Understand... we've had that argument before

I think I understand Lindy's system better after this last run and see that it really works when players commit to it. I wonder tho if the commitment required is so intense and complete that it can't be done for more than a short time cycle (half season at most?)

Or maybe that's a comment on our players lack of mental and physical discipline.

But I'm probably over analyzing again (Right JJ?)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:33 PM
  #173
kirby11
Registered User
 
kirby11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 1,791
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
Rochester has a game on Saturday. I wonder if they send Foligno back before the Boston game.
NOOO even though the game doesn't mean **** I want him up here I feel like he, poms, ennis, and maybe regehr are going to be the only guys that are gonna "bring it" at all for that game.

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:34 PM
  #174
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
Any update on the Sulzer situation? Hoping things are okay for he and his wife.
Oh it was his wife? Where did you read/hear that?

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2012, 10:35 PM
  #175
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Oh it was his wife? Where did you read/hear that?
Rayzor interviewed Hodgson between the first and second. Hodgson said something to the effect of "we're hoping things are okay for Sulzer and his wife."

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.